Psychology in Don't Starve

Excess

When I started playing Don't Starve, the first thing I did was to map the coast, so I would know what I was up against.

Recently I understood that doing this took out all the mystery of the unexpected. I knew exactly where I should make my main camp, where all the resources would be, where I shouldn't venture unarmed, etc.

I realized I love the thrill of not knowing what's out there.

That's why from that realization until today, I don't map the shores.

What did you realized about how you play the game that makes you enjoy it more?

Same I'm currently in the business of expanding on my first island until I feel I have tamed it for my benefit then I move on to the next etc.

Also, when doing LP episodes I like to take no risk calculation and simply do whatever strikes me as moderately amusing in a moment. Tends to get me killed a lot.

Just the simple joy of wandering around and watching things happen. Just the other day I witnessed the awesome event of a tentacle being torn to bits for making the mistake of attacking a spider near an infestation of about 4 spider nests. It fought hard, but in the end, the spider horde was too much for it. Awesome sauce.

I tend to map the world out before settling in. In a real scenario I'd want to get my bearings as much as possible.

Me too, and that was my first instinct when I started playing the game. But try this out: Don't. Try to explore randomly, around your camp. Try not knowing where the stones are, where the pigs are, where the tentacles are right away.

Do a blind run.

And then obviously report back here and tell me how you felt different (or not) the game, and which did you enjoyed the most.

Edited by Excess
Do it... FOR SCIENCE!

I knowingly take risks that aren't necessary - I learn so much more that way! Because we learn from our mistakes. And doing things like walking into a swamp area at night are definitely mistakes - but I'd never have learned about the potential advantages to doing so if I hadn't taken the obviously imprudent action.

I have set up a camp with Wulfgang atm on a small plain of wood, surrounded by swamps. Every morning i walk into random stuff on the floor. Monster meat? Careful a tentacle killed some spiders here, tentacle must still be alive. Some webs, but no monster meat? Tentacle lost, spiders ate all the monster meat. And no spots or spikes again darnit. See some regular meat lying there? u can be sure a piggie or a beefalo died to a tentacle. Swamps are currently the most enjoyable areas imo

I like to carefully map everything out, build a sustainable home base with fast-growing crops, a crock pot, and everything I'll need for indefinite survival...and then use Willow to BURN THE WHOLE WORLD TO THE GROUND :)

I'd say that having a feeling of always being watched, and the need to explore the world to uncover the unknown is what I like the most.

This, sadly, is not happening to me anymore. Since I've compromised myself with my subscribers to bring a video showing every bit of every new update, I end up knowing everything there is to know too Soon...