Fence Pegs / Building Stuff!

I've got an idea for a system that could implent building into Don't Starve. You could pretty much use pegs to connect other pegs within a certain radius, as shown here:

07hoc.png

Maybe a use for fences, such as being able to lure beefalos to you, such as a flute or bait. You could also use this for walls, just using tall flat boards instead of small boarded fences. Maybe you could also put windows on flat walls? Well, i'm getting pretty off topic, so i'll stop there! :rolleyes:

Right now, I can't really do much about suggestions, since I don't own the game. :( Maybe the devs could look at this and think about something along the lines of this concept. Thanks for reading!

Maybe have a click and drag for circle, and square enclosures with 1 gate or opening built in. How ever big the fencing project is, is how much wood it would cost.

Also it would be nice if fencing kept invading monsters preoccupied for a moment before breaking through, and keep Gobblers out easily.

Broken fence could just be some shattered boards on the ground that you could click as long as you have the materials to repair it?

BUSTED! lol

I like ur fence idea, im not good with programming so dno how difficult it is to implement, but it certainly allows us to shape it in whatever way we please, which would be awesome. Dont worry Kevin, we will spread the word and all the prepurchases will allow u to stock up on coffee and energy drink! Let the creativity come :D

I think that fences would be great. Because you basically can make one with trees or berries, so it wouldnt do anything with a game balance or so. And I will rather have my pigs in classic wooden fence cage than in some random tree bush ^^

+1

I was just thinking that I wanted to be able to fence off my little "outpost" after playing some of the latest patch, and found this thread so going to bump it :D

This seems like an awesome idea, to use pegs which auto-connect within a certain radius to one other nearby peg. I would say 6 twigs would be reasonable cost for one fence post (the interwoven twigs would obviously create the fence when two posts were placed.) I would primarily want to use them for just locking the annoying beefalo and perhaps basic level spiders out of my base.

However, I think many of the enemies and such should be able to either leap the fence at will, or bash sections of it down if they want to get to something behind it. Otherwise this could be setting itself up for much abuse by the player.

I think hounds, warrior and queen spiders, and maybe even the gobblers could all have "fence leaping capability" and it would keep this item as more of an aesthetic choice. Hell, when you add insanity into the game perhaps even having a civilized fence encircling some of your chosen plot could lend to keeping you sane :)

I would say 6 twigs would be reasonable cost for one fence post (the interwoven twigs would obviously create the fence when two posts were placed.)

I don't know, if you had a choice between building a fence with sticks or wooden boards... I think I would opt for wooden boards. Maybe 5 boards for the classic style (1 top, 1 bottom, 2 cross in middle, plus 1 "peg") with the next peg continuing the fence.

I would primarily want to use them for just locking the annoying beefalo and perhaps basic level spiders out of my base. However, I think many of the enemies and such should be able to either leap the fence at will, or bash sections of it down if they want to get to something behind it. Otherwise this could be setting itself up for much abuse by the player.

Agreed. Passive creatures, like beefalo and rabbits, would be stopped by the fence, but hostile creatures would either climb/jump over it or break it down.

I don't think wooden boards for fences would fit very well with the feel of the game, I just think that interwoven twig fences would fit much better and feel more "ghetto" which is basically what survival is all about :D

Not really, this game is not even about realism survival so to hell with that then (literally as you survive in a non-realistic world).

I don't think wooden boards for fences would fit very well with the feel of the game, I just think that interwoven twig fences would fit much better and feel more "ghetto" which is basically what survival is all about :D

Odds are we won't even get fences, but rather full-on walls. In which case we'll probably be talking about using logs and it will be held together with ropes.

I'd try not to make it as much as a build a house aspect, I like the idea of being in the wild and literally surviving. Having fences shouldn't protect you from monsters such as the Grou or small animals such as bees or rabbits. They could probably protect from gobblers or other a bit above the average sized animals.

Thank you guys for staying on the lookout of this topic. :D