Excess' Control Hacks

Excess

1. What are these tiny hacks?

These little programs capture your keyboard (and mouse) input before your computer does and modifies that info to circumvent problems or add features to the game. They (should) work under Windows, and you have to leave them open while you play Don't Starve for them to do their jobs.

You can execute them before or after launching Don't Starve, as they are programmed to launch Don't Starve for you if it isn't running already. They won't shut down automatically when you exit Don't Starve though (yet), but you can do so by right-clicking the programs icon in your system bar (by the clock) and choosing "Exit".

• Rotate the camera with [Q] and [E].
      Tired of reaching towards the directional keys [←][→] to rotate the view when chopping wood?

post-270-13764589373668_thumb.png
      Download
      RotateWithQ&E.exe

• Move with QWERTY's [W][A][D] and rotate the view with [A]&[E] on an AZERTY keyboard.
      You have an AZERTY keyboard but want to use the traditional QUERTY [W][A][D] to move your character?

post-270-13764589373376_thumb.png
      Download
      WASDonAZERTY.exe

[*]But how did you made them?

I programmed and compiled them using

AutoHotkey (with it's rather simple coding language)

I created (borrowed from Klei and added text to) the images in Photoshop (with it's lack of native .ICO support) and converted them to icons thanks to ConvertICO.com.

I added some attribution and license info to the .EXEs using Resource Hacker.

And finally, I shared it with you thanks to DropBox (link with referral).

[*]Nice, can you make me one that...?

Probably. Tell me what you need done and I'll see if I can do it in my free time.

[*]This looks fun, I wanna make one too!

It is! Download AutoHotkey and the

source files of my hacks (the .AHK files) too get started, and make your granny proud with your awesome programming skills! The coding language is largely documented on the programs website, and if everything else fails, remember: uncle Google is your friend!

This is the changelog of the base script so far.

1.0 -
First compiled EXE.

1.1 -
It now checks if Don't Starve is running, and if it isn't, it opens it up for you.

1.2 -
The "hacks" per se will now only work within the Don't Starve game, not everywhere.

[*]They don't work for me :(

Tell me your machines specs and operating system and I'll try to figure out whats happening, but I cannot promise anything.

[*]Why did you choose this ugly orange for the titles?

I DON'T KNOW!

Edited by Excess
obsolete script
  • Like 3

It says I have to spread rep around.

Well you better get to it, I don't have all day :p

:( Oh and WHY U NO WORK ON MAC?;)

Because 9 out of 10 Mac "clones" of Autohotkey are paid apps :p

But I found a free one and it looks promising: KeyRemap4MacBook. The downsize is I don't have a Mac to try it out, so you are on your own.

FEEDBACK!

YOu can't use Q&E at the same time as ZQSD (which is logic)

But now that dev have implemented Q&E, can you make an A&E for turning for the AZERTY players?

RECAP:

AZERTY = QWERTY

ZQSD = WASD

AE = QE

What do you think? would you do that?

Edited by Sara
I can't type properly...

FEEDBACK!

YOu can't use Q&E at the same time as ZQSD (which is logic)

But now that dev have implemented Q&E, can you make an A&E for turning for the AZERTY players?

RECAP:

AZERTY = QWERTY

ZQSD = WASD

AE = QE

What do you think? would you do that?

Sorry for the delay, I've updated the AZERTY script to include rotation with [A]&[E]. You should re-download the file and over right the existing one. It will break in the next update (if the arrow keys stop working) but I'll upload a fixed version once they change the rotation bindings.

Cheers :D

Edited by Excess
A slight dislexia

Nice! I give you 10 out of 10 Evita singing Madonnas for that! :-)

BTW, Windows users can also easily change the keyboardlayout of the current active application with the following key stroke combo:

1. press and hold left Alt key
  2. press and release left Shift key
  3. release left Alt key

Of course, the english keyboard layout has to be installed, but this is (as far as I know) the default case for most languages and windows versions. (In my case german and windows xp or windows 7)

[offtopic]

I wonder if Autokey is recognized by virus scanners as malware (keylogger) or not... Can somebody give me information about that? Can't test it by myself at the moment.

I do ask this, because I'm programming a tool (as a hobby) which makes it possible to bind doubleclick style keys and stuff like that (target users are physically handicapped people). But I've got the problem, that nearly every virus scanner is detecting it as a keylogger, because it IS (kind of a) keylogger, internally. I wonder how other programmers are getting rid of this problem... (for coders: I intercept and manipulate the keystrokes by setting a keyboardhook using the Windows API)

[/offtopic]

can you make a version that works with chrome? Im a linux user and dont want the steam beta quite yet

I'm sorry, I missed your post somehow. I'll make a version for Chrome (basically, I'll erase the Steam launcher bit of code) and upload it here shortly.

Nice! I give you 10 out of 10 Evita singing Madonnas for that! :-)

BTW, Windows users can also easily change the keyboardlayout of the current active application with the following key stroke combo:

Interesting. Is this temporary or does Windows remembers the choice?

I wonder if Autokey is recognized by virus scanners as malware (keylogger) or not... Can somebody give me information about that? Can't test it by myself at the moment.

I do ask this, because I'm programming a tool (as a hobby) which makes it possible to bind doubleclick style keys and stuff like that (target users are physically handicapped people)

I don't think they do. At least my Avira didn't complained, and nobody of those who tried this little programs mentioned anything either. I'll say it's pretty safe.

I bet you can do what you want to do with AutoHotkey (although it wouldn't be as fun as programming it yourself).

Anyway, good on you for helping the handicapped ;)

It's temporary with this game. As Soon as you close it, the layout switches back to AZERTY. In most games it's not though, and you have to press shift + alt again to revert.

By the way, it would be nice if the devs could implement a "swap to azerty" option in the settings menu (like in the Binding of Isaac), so that French / Belgians / Swiss don't have to do that everytime they play.

Like Zind already said: It's temporary. To be a bit more precise: You may select a standard keyboard layout in windows and the other layouts that are istalled (or that you've installed) are the "switchable" additional layouts.

I'll give you a small explanation how to change the standard layout or add new layouts. But since every Windows version has a bit of diffent naming style and menu navigation I can't give exact orders for everyone. Further I'm using a german version, so I "retranslate" to english and add the german names in brackets.

The following is based on german windows 7 with control panel view switched to "small symbols" (kleine Symbole) NOT switched to "Category" (Kategorie):

1. Open "Control Panel" (Systemsteuerung)
  2. Open "Region and Language" (Region und Sprache) / WinXP: something like "Locale Settings"
  3. Open the tab "Keyboards and Languages" (Tastaturen und Sprachen)
  4. Press button "Change Keyboards..." (Tastaturen ändern...)
  5. In the Window "Text Sevices and Input Languages" (Textdienste und Eingabesprachen)
    • "Standard Input Language" (Standardeingabesprache) is the standard keyboard layout.
    • "Installed Services" (Installierte Dienste) are the installed keyboard layouts.
      • button "Add..." (Hinzufügen...) let's you add more layouts, also different styled layouts of the same language.
      • button "Remove..." (Entfernen...) let's you remove the selected layout.
      • button "Properties..." (Eigenschaften...) let's you see the actual layout and change it's icon.
      • buttons "Move up" (Nach oben) and "Move down" (Nach unten) let's you sort the layouts and languages wich takes effect on the order when switching the layouts using Alt+Shift.

Note on "different styled layouts of the same langage": E.g. on the standard german layout caps lock doesn't effect some keys, while there is a "IBM style" german layout which effects all keys (usefull for programmers). Some layouts are also designed for multilingual minorities in various countries. Very few languages are also used to have multiple keyboard layouts as a standard to be able reach all needed glyphes.

By the way, there is a official tool from Microsoft, which let's you design your own keyboard layouts starting from zero or starting from a already existing one: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964665.aspx

A usefull reference sheet can be found on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters

I've used this tool to add turkish letters to the german layout for a friend of mine. It's really easy to use if you are a bit into coding or (hopefully white hat) hacking.

But since this all is windows specific: please don't stop working on your great hack! (I do not really have do mention, do I? ;))

At least my Avira didn't complained, and nobody of those who tried this little programs mentioned anything either. I'll say it's pretty safe.
I'd really like to know how this is done... :twisted:

My program just runs fine (except some minor bugs and some missing features), but it is always recognized as malware.

Anyway, good on you for helping the handicapped ;)
Since I'm (a bit) handicapped, too... ;)

The idea was triggered, when I saw the onehand-keyboard of a (what a surprise) one handed friend, which looks like a mouse with five keys. Very cheap to produce, but is sold for a few thousand euro!!! No joke! When I asked him why he bought such a ******* thing he just answered: "It's paid by the national health insurance and there is no alternative existing (which is suitabe for handicaped people)." This made me really angry! As far as I know the producer slowly raised the price, everytime after it was accepted as a "medical help for handicapped" by law, which makes the national health insurance have to pay for it, although the product has not been "updated" for over 20 years! This is IMHO exploiting this very good law!

So I decided trying to programm a software alternative, since you can achive the same (if not better) results by reconfiguring a standard keyboard.