Intermission - Animated Short, Twitch Drops and More.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Valase said:

I think that he also is a kleptomaniac, given by the amount of junk on his car/house.

It looks more like he's just picking up trash that people leave outside, judging from most of the stuff in the trunk of his car

Edit: Nah nvm I just realized he pickpocketed everyone he helped

Edited by LinknAllie
  • Like 1
  • Wavey 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, LinknAllie said:

It looks more like he's just picking up trash that people leave outside, judging from most of the stuff in the trunk of his car

So Wagstaff is a very very bad evil man who steals from everyone, gives Webbers dad a spider contraption that turns his son half spider, kills his coworker and buries the body I. The floor of Wilson’s house to turn them into WX78 the robot, and above all else leaves a man to die to steal a fancy demon cursed projector?

Im starting to understand why he was so excited to try and make the world end sooner in the Hamlet dlc… lol.

I knew Charlie & Maxwell were the good guys all along! Well mainly just Charlie.. Wagstaff Evil though!

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Wavey 1
  • Potato Cup 1

Do you think the new vignettes could be hinting at the next skill tree being Webber’s and maybe they add another hamlet character or maybe some content from Hamlet and also maybe some form of update on the  A Little Drama stuff or some to do with the rose vines

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LinknAllie said:

Omg, you're right, I just realised that. First I thought he just looted the stuff people abandoned in the theater, but you can clearly see that one of the people he helped had a walking cane, but not when he go outside, and later in his home Wagstaff had that cane. He really is evil. An opportunist.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

My only question is how do you steal a walking cane you can't really stick it in your pocket

idk, I feel like you could fit approximately 15 walking canes in your pockets if you wanted. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Spooky 1

13 hours ago, goatt said:

I'm a bit confused, so he was a thief?

In Shipwrecked DLC, Wagstaff has an examination quote on I think the snake oil where he comments that he used to be a snake-oil scammer. He was always a terrible person, especially when it comes to cheating and scamming people.

Anyway this is great, i've been wanting them to update the Klei shop for a long time, I just spent all of my 13k points on the skins I missed; it's an absolute win.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dr. Safety said:

So Wagstaff is essentially just me in public servers... neat!

Me, forcibly relocating all pig men to my lumberyard to literally work them to death: "Man, that Wagstaff guy is a real jerk!"

In all honesty though, this might not be a coincidence.

I've always found it interesting that Don't Starve indirectly encourages "immoral" behavior. Playing successfully usually means killing innocents and prioritizing loot over the preservation of life. Even Krampus just encourages being SMARTER about how you kill things, rather than actually deterring the act of murder. 

To be clear this is not a criticism of Don't Starve; it's actually pretty common for gameplay to encourage player behavior that contradicts a game's narrative themes. In fact, DS has always had a certain self-awareness to this that I like! The game seems to understand that players are doing "immoral" things to win and incorporates that into the game's dark humor (like Maxwell declaring "Sacrifice yourself for my comfort!" when killing something that can't fight back).

Which is why I think it's so interesting Wagstaff can be compared to a "Don't Starve player" himself. He explores The Constant using an avatar he controls from the real world (you know, like you do whenever YOU play the game) and his casual meta commentary really makes him come across as someone who doesn't consider The Constant "real" so much as a simulation he can study. This animation suggests that he treats the real world similarly. 

Maybe I'm overanalyzing this; I just think it's neat :wilson_goodjob:

• Like 5
  • Sanity 3

12 hours ago, fimmatek said:

Omg, you're right, I just realised that. First I thought he just looted the stuff people abandoned in the theater, but you can clearly see that one of the people he helped had a walking cane, but not when he go outside, and later in his home Wagstaff had that cane. He really is evil. An opportunist.

You can see him slip the ring off the hand of the father in that scene when he shakes his hand, it's a really cool detail

13 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

So Wagstaff is a very very bad evil man who steals from everyone, gives Webbers dad a spider contraption that turns his son half spider, kills his coworker and buries the body I. The floor of Wilson’s house to turn them into WX78 the robot, and above all else leaves a man to die to steal a fancy demon cursed projector?

Im starting to understand why he was so excited to try and make the world end sooner in the Hamlet dlc… lol.

I knew Charlie & Maxwell were the good guys all along! Well mainly just Charlie.. Wagstaff Evil though!

In his defense, there was NO way he was lifting that rubble off that guy in the theater.  Also is it confirmed now that WX-78 is partly organic or is the body under the floorboards not connected to WX

With how annoying the pigs can be in Hamlet I can't blame him for wanting to end the world lmao (Still my favorite DLC)

On that topic, I wonder what the Encore short that was released a little while ago implies.  Seems like Maxwell is dipping more into being evil again.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2024 at 6:58 PM, -Kiyo- said:

So Wagstaff's origin short without him becoming playable, basically... at least yet.
I like this a lot.

if wagstaff was playable id love that a lot

• Like 1

Seeing Wagstaff in animated shorts and seeing his personality has changed my mind. I know it will never happen, but I'm officially for having Wagstaff eventually become a playable character in DST (I'm sorry I ever doubted you @LinknAllie)

• Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 7:31 PM, Dr. Safety said:

Seeing Wagstaff in animated shorts and seeing his personality has changed my mind. I know it will never happen, but I'm officially for having Wagstaff eventually become a playable character in DST (I'm sorry I ever doubted you @LinknAllie)

Maybe we will get Wagstick or something.

On 5/3/2024 at 2:55 PM, Mike23Ua said:

While it doesn't show any of this survivors, I like this short because it finally properly muddies the choices between Wagstaff and Charlie. Up until now it was basically just "queen of darkness" or "silly little man who's in over his head." It started to be shown in host of horrors and scrappy scavengers with his reaction to the Possessed varg and Wobot, but it's pretty clear his true colors now.

Wagstaff is willing to help the survivors as long as its convenient for him. And Hey! He has about a dozen of them! So if a few get lost in the process it's not the end of the world for Wagstaff. But as soon as it becomes inconvenient, he's going to leave the survivors to deal with the consequences.

Meanwhile Charlie is very clearly an enemy, but appears to be willing to negotiate with the survivors for her benefit. She accepts the dreadstone for the portal, She's willing to negotiate with Maxwell (although very clearly manipulative in manner). So i suppose the question is...

Would you rather have an Enemy that sees you as potentially useful, or an Ally who views you as expendable.

• Like 3
  • Potato Cup 1

11 hours ago, WenericMember said:

Would you rather have an Enemy that sees you as potentially useful, or an Ally who views you as expendable.

I quite like the conclusion you came up to. This is my headcannon until something dismisses it