Flare / Hostile Flare to destroy Depth Dweller Dens

Title. Since this is a QoL and we're getting some cave changes, it'd be a nice addition.

I'd love to be able to destroy the ruins' webs with either a flare or a hostile flare.

They could also get stronger/more agressive after the rifts? Like bats looking for nitre. Specially since bats aren't around the ruins which should be the most dangerous area.

PD: Webber mains back me up here, It'd also be an indirect webber buff post-rift.

• Like 19
  • Sanity 1

One of the things I truly HATE about DST is that over a very very long period of time, the player can “Destroy” most of the games natural spawning hazards and resources. (Such as clearing the entire swamp of all spider, Merm houses, and hidden swamp tentacles)

What you’re asking for here is to give players even more ability to remove the games challenges. Which make those 50,000 day mega base worlds where players have turned the entire game into their personal amusement park- That much more possible.

But what I’ve been trying to prove to Klei since the day I joined these forums is that these megabases just wouldn’t BE possible if the games hazards and dangers naturally respawned on their own somewhere within their respective biomes.

Example: You COULDNT completely clear a swamp of swamp tentacles if they respawned in the biome after some time.

Hound Dens, Killer Bee Hives, Swamp Tentacle since none of those respawn, they can all be completely destroyed leaving the game world to be a flat and empty wasteland.

Dangling Depth Dens are one of the few we CANT destroy and completely remove from the game.. this suggestion would make it so that they could be, and I don’t like ANY suggestion that allows the game world to become an empty boring wasteland.

(why do you guys think I enjoy starting fresh start worlds after reaching like day 500?)

Klei changed both Mushroom rings and Catcoon Dens so they’ll respawn, why are the games actual threats & hazards still allowed to be wiped into extinction?

All it takes is a single Wendy with Abby on riled up mode to completely remove a games Bee Biome forever.. why is that Klei?

• Sanity 2
  • Wavey 1

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

What you’re asking for here is to give players even more ability to remove the games challenges. Which make those 50,000 day mega base worlds where players have turned the entire game into their personal amusement park- That much more possible.

Depths dwellers arent a challenge to megabasers though, they're really easy to kill. I just don't want their loot cluttering up my caves.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

One of the things I truly HATE about DST is that over a very very long period of time, the player can “Destroy” most of the games natural spawning hazards and resources. (Such as clearing the entire swamp of all spider, Merm houses, and hidden swamp tentacles)

Then don't destroy them?

• Like 3

Ahaha, a friend and I also made this exact suggestion years back.

Said friend even made it into a mod, I think it's still sitting around somewhere. I'd need to dig it up.
1359095391_GIF7-28-202212-48-22PM.gif.6a

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Ninja 1

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

In DS, aren't you like able to dispose of depth dweller dens by lighting up flammable things under the nest?(or wast that patched on the recent QOL update) why can't have that method in DST then?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, -Variant said:

Ahaha, a friend and I also made this exact suggestion years back.

Said friend even made it into a mod, I think it's still sitting around somewhere. I'd need to dig it up.
1359095391_GIF7-28-202212-48-22PM.gif.6a

I saw it and I love that they took the time to animate the spider corpses falling!

I wish it would be added to the main game though. My only nitpick is that I think the flare should have a smaller range so that you'd need to get inside the web to fight them, before being able to light it on fire. Or maybe burn the loot (unless playing Willow maybe)

2 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Are you new here? This isn't about how Mike plays. This is about how everybody else plays.

I wasn't expecting that comment from Mike who's always suggesting to add options for different players. If you know those things can be destroyed and will not respawn, then don't destroy them. If you feel bad about things being gone from your world, then you learnt your lesson and you can avoid it next time, same as dying from unknown enemies.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

5 minutes ago, Juanasdf said:

I saw it and I love that they took the time to animate the spider corpses falling!

I wish it would be added to the main game though. My only nitpick is that I think the flare should have a smaller range so that you'd need to get inside the web to fight them, before being able to light it on fire. Or maybe burn the loot (unless playing Willow maybe)

I wasn't expecting that comment from Mike who's always suggesting to add options for different players. If you know those things can be destroyed and will not respawn, then don't destroy them. If you feel bad about things being gone from your world, then you learnt your lesson and you can avoid it next time, same as dying from unknown enemies.

they want to make killer bee hives respawn to "keep hazards and challenge players". Actually I'd like that to be a thing so I can get more honeycombs, yey

Edited by mykenception
A message was double sent

5 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Are you new here? This isn't about how Mike plays. This is about how everybody else plays.

Which is something that has to be taken into consideration when you play a MULTIPLAYER GAME.

Why do you think a game like Apex Legends gets so many character balance changes and nerfs? 
as a former wraith main I can sure as hell tell you that the 7 patches worth of consistent nerfs to her was because everybody else wasn’t happy with her.

Yes I’m salty Af about that, to the point I deleted and have no intention of ever replaying that game again…

But my point is that in Multiplayer- All parties involved need to be considered.

Maybe You want to use Abigail in riled mode to clear an entire bee biome out forever, but maybe… I didn’t want my entire biome to go extinct?

What do I do? Ban you? Roll Back? Substitute with Bee Boxes I had to painstakingly reproduce by catching bees in random tumble weeds?

Your being more one-sided then you think I am lol

• Wavey 1
  • Spooky 1

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Substitute with Bee Boxes I had to painstakingly reproduce by catching bees in random tumble weeds

Or just deconstruct a bee queen crown that spawns 4 bees and 4 honeycombs... + a construction amulet if you want to have 2 quicker...

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

What do I do? Ban you? Roll Back?

Yes, and add a password to your server / make it friends / invite only.

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

Which is something that has to be taken into consideration when you play a MULTIPLAYER GAME.

Why do you think a game like Apex Legends gets so many character balance changes and nerfs? 
as a former wraith main I can sure as hell tell you that the 7 patches worth of consistent nerfs to her was because everybody else wasn’t happy with her.

Yes I’m salty Af about that, to the point I deleted and have no intention of ever replaying that game again…

But my point is that in Multiplayer- All parties involved need to be considered.

Maybe You want to use Abigail in riled mode to clear an entire bee biome out forever, but maybe… I didn’t want my entire biome to go extinct?

What do I do? Ban you? Roll Back? Substitute with Bee Boxes I had to painstakingly reproduce by catching bees in random tumble weeds?

tell them to not destroy the hives

or yes, kick and roll back. This is a multiplayer game, if you wanna control how players act then tell them beforehand your dos and don'ts or don't open it for other players

Pearl's Beehive can't be destroyed, you can always catch bees from there.

also you can deconstruct bee queen crowns for bees, royal jelly and honey comb

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Mike, is this actually a problem you have to deal with? Do you frequently play with people who destroy things you'd like to stay in the world? Do you let a lot of random people join your servers with whom you don't share many views about the way you want the world shaped?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Juanasdf said:

Or just deconstruct a bee queen crown that spawns 4 bees and 4 honeycombs... + a construction amulet if you want to have 2 quicker...

Yes, and add a password to your server / make it friends / invite only.

So what your trying to tell me is that in a game designed to be multi-player, intended to play with a server of up to 6 people at once, the reason so many of this games actual worlds are set to Password locked invite only sessions where you only see 1 maybe 2 people in the server, OR if you join a random server and get immediately kicked out…

That Klei didn’t design the game well enough to support multiple players?

Players being able to completely and permanently destroy the games biomes is the very REASON why I opt to play alone in the first place.

Its also why a lot of people toggle off Wildfires, or just lock their rooms till summer is over.

Ops suggestion- just adds one more mob you can wipe into extinction.

unless you suggest some way to restore the spiders later (& don’t say let Webber build them..)

• Like 1
  • Wavey 1

Silly idea, but I like it. But I'm afraid of - if they all get destroyed, what other way we'll be able to get them again? Maybe they should actually have some sort of dens up there, or maze ones don't spread and stay as they are and some other biomes to have them respawning if there's some of the ceiling dens left over.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

unless you suggest some way to restore the spiders later

You can already get 2-3 dangling depth dwellers if you open trapped chests...

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The game works for multiplayer, but when you leave an open server, you know that you're going to be open to EVERYONE

Idk about much about Apex Legends (which honestly to me is an awful comparison to DST but sure lets roll with it). Take League of Legends for example, you queue up for a game and you run into someone building physical damage on a mage on your team. This means that you can run into anyone that might not play the same way as you do. Does it mean that the game is not well enough designed to support multiplayer? No.

15 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

So what your trying to tell me is that in a game designed to be multi-player, intended to play with a server of up to 6 people at once, the reason so many of this games actual worlds are set to Password locked invite only sessions where you only see 1 maybe 2 people in the server, OR if you join a random server and get immediately kicked out…

what is this logic

thats basically what can happen if you chose to allow a world to be open to anyone

it's a SANDBOX game. People will do whatever they want in the game. One of the main reasons why players lock their worlds and play with their friends is that they can play without the extra random player factor

What happens if you invite a random player in your football team? and if they mess up a lot because they don't communicate, do you not swap them out?

Please don't veer the topic to some other point to rant about

being able to remove depth dweller dens in the game is an interesting concept. If there's a way that we could implement this, then people might choose to not walk on the edges of the labyrinth later on

There's also another way (but it doesn't make you destroying them permanent tho). The nest on the labyrinths respawn when you regenerate the ruins.

Edited by mykenception
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

No, what we're trying to tell you is that if your gameplay goals and desires aren't flexible, letting randos join you unvetted is probably a bad idea.

10 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

No, what we're trying to tell you is that if your gameplay goals and desires aren't flexible, letting randos join you unvetted is probably a bad idea.

Players will usually gravitate to eliminating threats around their base or just for hunting. Mike doesn't like that

what's the best course of action? Blame Klei lol :)

26 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Players being able to completely and permanently destroy the games biomes is the very REASON why I opt to play alone in the first place.

Its also why a lot of people toggle off Wildfires, or just lock their rooms till summer is over.

No it isn't. Not everyone plays with the same self-placed constraints as you do. 

They turn off wildfires so that their bases don't burn to ash if it's not in range of flingomatics, not because they can terraform  a biome

Edited by mykenception

I support this. Don't take the bait, Mike says the same 3 things. I think giving players more choice is healthier for the game, so yeah - hopefully it comes in a QoL

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Would personally appreciate this quite a bit, even if it was more expensive. There’s quite a few instances of depth dweller dens that I have in very unfortunate spots in my world. Worst case, they would probably be something that world regrowth could handle, where it would spawn a new den in a nearby area if there weren’t structures nearby.

• Like 1