Scaled furnace and foods ingredients

I think a good option would be let the food in the Scaled Furnace for something like 30 seconds and it would be cooked, 4 stacks of food in 30 seconds.

It could turn things like grass in ashes and logs in charcoal as well. 

And of course the destroy option would be there in case we need it. 

Before:
image.png.254624f7efbd14c726a5060a64868f52.png

30 seconds after: 
image.png.afdf15e48097d9a18c785776142c5d9d.png

Before:
image.png.bdc53cae296beb5c2412c32a547aa3cc.png
30 seconds after: 
image.png.5da86d3045566f3a82609f37d0f6515e.png

Before:
image.png.3a7cfa92a330c6b8b242daf58e52a11a.png

30 seconds after: 
image.png.e884e802830d96d7b184dd4f17209d7a.png

Very good idea =)
(I was just about to post the same thing hahahahha)

• Like 28
  • Shopcat 1
  • Big Ups 1

6 hours ago, Habakkuk said:

I think a good option would be let the food in the Scaled Furnace for something like 30 seconds and it would be cooked, 4 stacks of food in 30 seconds.

Before:

30 seconds after: 

Before:
30 seconds after: 

Before:

30 seconds after: 

Very good idea =)

I think it should be instant. I don't like the idea of waiting for things. It's arbitrary. 

• Like 2

this is too much for an item you can get on day 3

Chill with your batch cooking suggestions (not to mention free ash and coal suggestions.)

Devs just gave us nice way to destroy unneeded items and your suggestions are great idea for a mod, but not for main game

Tha'ts not a cooking stove, that's furnance. You can't cook items inside. you can burn them

Edited by landromat
  • Like 2
  • Big Ups 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

1 hour ago, landromat said:

Chill with your batch cooking suggestions (not to mention free ash and coal suggestions.)

Devs just gave us nice way to destroy unneeded items and your suggestions are great idea for a mod, but not for main game

Tha'ts not a cooking stove, that's furnance. You can't cook items inside. you can burn them

Do not impose your thoughts on those who disagree with you

8 hours ago, Habakkuk said:

Before:

30 seconds after: 

Before:
30 seconds after: 

Before:

30 seconds after: 

Very good idea =)

I don't agree with the production of coals or ashes, but I do support the idea of food ingredients being cooked at once.

• Like 1

Theres soo much food in DST so when u need to cook ingredients individually it can take ages.

So i would love to see batch cooking get added to the game.

But until then I just hope this new official incinerator functionality wont break the Lazy Furnace mod lol.. 

Lazy Furnace is without a doubt one of the best mods ever, i never play without it. 

it has 5 stars on the Workshop with 1,357 ratings and 175.850 current subscribers! 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, landromat said:

As we always were able to cook in the furnace it makes sense for me to be able to cook in big quantities. 
I would prefer that the trash can could be a entry new structure. 

2 hours ago, Ohan said:

Theres soo much food in DST so when u need to cook ingredients individually it can take ages.

So i would love to see batch cooking get added to the game.

Could be nice to get an overhaul to cooking like the farming mechanics overhaul or some wonky late game mechanics that are similar to The Gorge. Cooking in bulk is perhaps not very exciting but I fear that it would break the pace of the game if too many options to amass and refine all manners of items effortlessly get added.

1 hour ago, Captain_Rage said:

Could be nice to get an overhaul to cooking like the farming mechanics overhaul or some wonky late game mechanics that are similar to The Gorge. Cooking in bulk is perhaps not very exciting but I fear that it would break the pace of the game if too many options to amass and refine all manners of items effortlessly get added.

Yeah for me it doesn’t necessarily have to be the dfly furnace.

A new special oven structure could be added that needs fuel to work like wood/charcoal or whatever (even though crockpots already dont use fuel :lol:) and/or it could need some time depending on stack size to do the cooking to make it more immersive/interesting. 

This way it wouldnt need to be ultra late game or gated behind a boss. there r many possible ways to implement it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

but I fear that it would break the pace of the game if too many options to amass and refine all manners of items effortlessly get added.

In the case of batch cooking, we've had packim baggins before and it was something extremely beloved and appreciated. 

Refining many items at once is a pretty mainstay of games in general. Especially those with fluctuating paces. There exist games out there where the pace is slower than dst at points but maintain a breakneck speed crafting process. 

It's sensible that when certain landmarks are passed, crafting speed should match the rate of harvesting. For example with the saw horse, generally, before the time you're cutting down trees with axes, you're processing boards manually. But then, you go to the ruins at an appropriate time, hunt down the resting horror, kill it, escape the ruins, cut down a collection of trees to manually process into boards, visit pearl, get your sawhorse blueprint from making her a table of stone, after that point, generally, you have a way to cut down trees faster than you can process them. It's natural that processing catches up.

Same as grass. You reach a point after doing a litany of arduous tasks or reaching spring, your rate of harvesting grass far surpasses the rate of processing. Enter your lureplants or grass gecko farms.

Same can be said about stone, same can be said about almost any crude component.

Really, mass processing only becomes important when you start mass producing. Your stack of hand picked grass is perhaps more valuable as a stack of grass than a stack of rope in the first year.

Pace of the game evolves, yet mass processing is the one thing that stays in the past. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Habakkuk said:

That idea has been suggested for a long time, even I did it before knowing people were already asking, because it's just intuitive. It has "furnace" in the name. Hopefully now that they're focusing more in QoL changes they get to add it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SapoLover said:

That idea has been suggested for a long time, even I did it before knowing people were already asking, because it's just intuitive. It has "furnace" in the name. Hopefully now that they're focusing more in QoL changes they get to add it.

Let's wait and see.

20 hours ago, landromat said:

Just because you can get it on day 3 doesn't mean you should lol? What would you even need the furnace for on day 3? To destroy all the gold supplies in a pub? 

• Like 2

idk man i think the furnace has enough uses as it is.

It's still a free heating source and light if desperation is attached and now it'll also be a bin for one of the earlier/earliest raid bosses in the game.

It's main purpose is to destroy and give warmth, i think adding exceptions to that rule would just make it overall messy just because 'if you put this specific thing in the furnace it won't be destroyed' or you have to wait 30 seconds and its main purpose kind of gets muddled up.

I would rather have a new structure later in the game that would fit this purpose on its own, a luxury like that would only be a thing that would exist post-rift as much as tall chests is.

Make a shadow oven structure or smth. more of a reason to go after the shadow rifts.

Edited by PunkShark
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Antynomity said:

Just because you can get it on day 3 doesn't mean you should lol? What would you even need the furnace for on day 3? To destroy all the gold supplies in a pub? 

for batch cooking of course

This structure is heavily utilized for cooking ingredients. Just like how an astral detector can be utilized as a light source after the quest, or how an eyebrella isn't solely used for blocking rain but can serve other purposes, like the shadow scythe being used as a weapon, and the brightshade helm being utilized not just as armor, I believe the functionality of a specific item shouldn't be limited to its name. Moreover, the furnace is also listed in the dictionary as being used as a boiler.

• Like 1

I don't really understand this thread. Why are people pretending that saving 40 seconds cooking a stack of eggs your friend left in the fridge is such an over the top idea for an item that already allows you to cook things on it? Save aside how absurd it'd be to have stacks of cookable items by "day 3", so what if you did? What's the big deal in saving the player 2 minutes of standing still to cook some stale carrots or whatever?

I really do not agree with the approach that this "batch cook" idea should be reserved for an entire item on its own. That sounds like an extremely edge-case structure for a really niche purpose. Between iceboxes, saltboxes, crockpots, a scaled furnace, a birdcage (and possibly chests if you keep bundles)  a kitchen doesn't need another structure that serves a really niche use for minimal benefits.

Before anyone even mentions it, "this invalidates Warly/Willow/Walter's fast cook perk" is not a good argument. That's like me saying the Sawhorse is a flawed structure because it invalidates Winona's faster crafting speed specifically for boards. Just because they have a flavour perk doesn't mean other characters shouldn't have access to something as simple as faster refining. These characters can still cook faster over a campfire and firepit if they need to in an early game setting (which, not every player is comfortable enough to face Dragonfly).

That being said, I also don't agree that it should be able to convert items into ash and charcoal. I think at that point I'd see why they're tacking on a little too much to the item from it's initial purpose. 

Edited by Darkcape
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2024 at 5:38 AM, landromat said:

You get a image.png.e6d729738e60a003f6cd7493dfd0e0de.png