Don't beaches on the mainland look cool?

Copy and paste the lunar beaches, remove the lunar spiders, presto, dst improved.

Would you like a slight variation of this to be balanced/unique for the mainland? (Like new creatures, or maybe removing the kelp stalks for balance reasons if it is too op)

Kinda surprised logic wise there is no beaches on the mainland.

Screenshot_20240312-195349_Discord.jpg.540d4b7624d5a6ce01f3f8e42c2a064e.jpg

• Like 15

Yeah they are fancy on the Lunar Island but if we get Mainland counterparts, please, let’s not have this as fat as these or even new biomes, we don't need to occupy more space but refine the one available. In which case I'd find it interesting. Maybe we could have beaches to only occur within a certain direction of the world pointing towards the Moon Quay or such so it has an utility without necessarily bringing a lot of new stuff. 

• Like 19

A stripe of sand around the constant would be neat, but seems like a bit of work to implement? Not to mention it makes not as much sense as you'd think since turf outline is extremely sharp like a road and very rocky similar to roads. Unless they someday fix the sandy turf outlines to feel "sandier" I don't see a point to this.

• Like 2

Reading this while I have already made half a dozen custom beaches… I really hope they actually add this. Visit the shore after killing a mutated badger mix that was possessed by the moon spirit.

2 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

A stripe of sand around the constant would be neat, but seems like a bit of work to implement? Not to mention it makes not as much sense as you'd think since turf outline is extremely sharp like a road and very rocky similar to roads. Unless they someday fix the sandy turf outlines to feel "sandier" I don't see a point to this.

But he has a good point. 

10 hours ago, ADM said:

Yeah they are fancy on the Lunar Island but if we get Mainland counterparts, please, let’s not have this as fat as these or even new biomes, we don't need to occupy more space but refine the one available. In which case I'd find it interesting. Maybe we could have beaches to only occur within a certain direction of the world pointing towards the Moon Quay or such so it has an utility without necessarily bringing a lot of new stuff. 

Rocky beaches make much more sense. Sandy beaches dont fit.

Adding rocky beaches like this is much better.

I really don't think the idea of a "beach" type biome makes sense for the mainland, not to be dismissive of the idea I just think it would look grossly out of place and clash with everything.

Edited by WhackE
  • Like 3

I mean uhm maybe… but by doing that you strip away one of the very few things you would find out at sea in a game that is otherwise highly lacking in ocean content.

I think it’s very “Unhealthy” for the game to have all the biomes clustered up into one huge land mass, why build a boat & sail anywhere if you never even need to leave the land you started on?

• Wavey 1

13 hours ago, Well-met said:

considering the oasis still wasn't updated to use sand turf and palm cones and never will, I'd say this idea has no chance to happen either

I still don't understand why people want the Oasis to be updated. It fits in with its surroundings and is perfectly fine as is.

There's literally nothing wrong with it? I feel like it boils down to people just wanting it to be different for the sake of being different, so please correct me if i'm wrong

the default grass turf and birchnuts are decade-old placeholder assets that do not fit the oasis whatsoever, but now we do have the proper assets thanks to moonquay. you are now corrected.

• Thanks 1

how do you know they were placeholder?

Moonquays assets were never made for the oasis, you are factually wrong. 

Deciduous trees and grass turf are perfect as is and fit the environment for the mainland.

Do not try and spread fallacy's to me, it will not work.

2 hours ago, WhackE said:

I still don't understand why people want the Oasis to be updated. It fits in with its surroundings and is perfectly fine as is.

There's literally nothing wrong with it? I feel like it boils down to people just wanting it to be different for the sake of being different, so please correct me if i'm wrong

Considering JoeW has been teasing for at least a year now massive changes coming to the way our worlds generate that was supposed to come sometime back ago in a QoL, and the fact we have 4 QoLs scheduled for this year- I’m going to go ahead and rather safely assume that updating the oasis (and several other old biomes) as well as new ways to generate new worlds (such as archipelago islands) is something that will 100% be happening if not this year, than next year for sure.

And the Oasis is one area that could totally use some of the newer turfs, trees, resources and game assets.

• Like 1
  • Wavey 1

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Considering JoeW has been teasing for at least a year now massive changes coming to the way our worlds generate that was supposed to come sometime back ago in a QoL, and the fact we have 4 QoLs scheduled for this year- I’m going to go ahead and rather safely assume that updating the oasis (and several other old biomes) as well as new ways to generate new worlds (such as archipelago islands) is something that will 100% be happening if not this year, than next year for sure.

And the Oasis is one area that could totally use some of the newer turfs, trees, resources and game assets.

this is a much better response, even if I don't fully agree with it

10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I mean uhm maybe… but by doing that you strip away one of the very few things you would find out at sea in a game that is otherwise highly lacking in ocean content.

I think it’s very “Unhealthy” for the game to have all the biomes clustered up into one huge land mass, why build a boat & sail anywhere if you never even need to leave the land you started on?

Yeah so i said differentiate it.

It could have sea otters, but no kelp or spiders.