Chest suggestions

"infinite" chests are so good, I'd want them to be available before rifts/CC as we already have infinite storage (floor) but I guess a lot of people would be very mad if that happened as they find it too powerful even as it is.

There is another storage problem that hasn't been solved, items that can't stack.

A Simple solution would be to allow items that can't be stacked to be stackable in upgraded chests and when taking out items it can be from lowest to highest durability so we use the items that will break first.

What I would prefer is another upgrade item that will increase slots by 9 and that can be applied multiple times on the same chest. I know that some players may not want to have too many chest slots but I don't mind it and everyone would be able to have as many slots as they want in increments of 9.

• Like 9

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Do klei think we don't need better storage unless the world is 1000+ days old? Or do they think we don't deserve to have a proper way to store our loot unless we finish 90% of the game? Or is it simply a fan service for megabasers who are so utterly bored with their stale worlds they constantly need new extremely expensive crap to grind?

Please cut this nonsense, I am currently rushing my new world into late game just because I don't have enough chest room to store my beefalo poop. I'll loose interest to this world by the time I'll upgrade all the needed chests. 

Just make the blueprint drop from scrapyard daywalker, and swap recipie for just scrap and some gears or gold or something. I need better storage and I need it asap. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

Or is it simply a fan service for megabasers

It was in fact explicitly stated on the stream it was initially revealed on that it was mostly intended to make megabaser worlds less laggy.

I wish they'd change their mind though. Base storage management is legitimately one of the least fun aspects of this game for me. The limited stack sizes make organizing just awful.

I don't know what would be a reasonable compromise, but crown shards is just so, so restricting.

• Like 5
  • Big Ups 1

1 minute ago, Faintly Macabre said:

It was in fact explicitly stated on the stream it was initially revealed on that it was mostly intended to make megabaser worlds less laggy.

I wasn't talking about the chests purpose, rather about their crafting recipie which has no business being so late game themed.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ChintzyGnat said:

Generally I'd only want this for certain items. Sketches would be good, spark arts, guardian horns, and more like that. Tools seem out of place for this type of thing however.

If the problem is with tools and gear my second suggestion would be acceptable? I have used cellar mod before and having 81 slots storage is such a game changer.

42 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

Just make the blueprint drop from scrapyard daywalker, and swap recipie for just scrap and some gears or gold or something. I need better storage and I need it asap. 

I completely agree, why do we need to to kill CC and what is even worse is that you need to activate rifts or swap to WIlson. A lot of players are still against activating rifts at least until they are ready and this forces them to do it sooner.

40 minutes ago, -Nick- said:

I really do hope sketches and blueprints are made stackable if they are the same.

Why not tools,weapons and armor too? Pulling out an item can be based on durability and if someone doesn't want to use this feature they are free to use normal chests.

13 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

I wish they'd change their mind though. Base storage management is legitimately one of the least fun aspects of this game for me. The limited stack sizes make organizing just awful.

I don't know what would be a reasonable compromise, but crown shards is just so, so restricting.

It is listed under performance on the official beta thread, so why does performance need to be locked until rifts are activated?

Edited by 00petar00
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

Why not tools,weapons and armor too? Pulling out an item can be based on durability and if someone doesn't want to use this feature they are free to use normal chests.

Oh im just talking about sketches and blueprints in general.
I don't know about equipment stacking though. I like Uncompromising Mode's approach where they added a new storage type that has a insane amount of slots but it can only store equipment and not items.

Edited by -Nick-
  • Like 3

At the very least I think items that don't stack, but don't have durability, should be able to stack in infinite chests. All 9 shell bells, all 3 deer antlers, guardian's horns, shadow atriums, tallbird eggs, lavae eggs, etc. I can understand for readability why Klei might not want items with durability stacking as vanilla behaviour, but for items without I don't see any issues there. I'm already incredibly hyped for infinite chests, and this would make them even better.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, therabidsquirel said:

At the very least I think items that don't stack, but don't have durability, should be able to stack in infinite chests. All 9 shell bells, all 3 deer antlers, guardian's horns, shadow atriums, tallbird eggs, lavae eggs, etc. I can understand for readability why Klei might not want items with durability stacking as vanilla behaviour, but for items without I don't see any issues there. I'm already incredibly hyped for infinite chests, and this would make them even better.

What about cracked tallbird eggs. They have individual timer on them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gi-Go said:

What about cracked tallbird eggs. They have individual timer on them.

I wasn't aware of that, I thought picking them up reset any hatching progress. In that case, and any other where an item has any sort of metadata so to speak, I can understand if it won't stack in the chests. In the same example I can also understand if for consistency they decide that tallbird eggs should never stack. But for many other items it would still be an amazing addition.

I do agree that it’s kinda silly how what is basically a QoL feature is so late game and expensive but I don’t care about it too much. I feel like one could argue that infinite chest storage is a luxury and you need to earn it, but then again I don’t think “earning it” should require having to beat CC. 

• Like 2

I think there could be a middle ground here. Chests without the upgrade can hold roughly ~5 times more items per slot then normal, scaled could hold 10, and the elasticspacer could turn them into infinite capacity chests.

I do agree otherwise, it kinda makes inventory management a pain. You wouldn’t really wanna build a fully functional normal chest storage area if you are going to just demolish it later and build an entirely new chest storage area with the upgrades in its place.

Spoiler

Complete tangent, but since its kinda related, I finally got the upgrade and took one last picture of my old storage before I dismantled it entirely. I cannot thank gift wrap enough for being a way to compress items before they added the upgrade.

image.png.504dc11340c6e5d65dbb556619e3d6b5.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

I cannot thank gift wrap enough for being a way to compress items before they added the upgrade.

I'm sorry but why would you need an entire chest for catcoon tails, tree jam, cookie cutter shells, different kinds of walls, multiple chests for pinecones or boat equipment.

Seems like some of these high-lag storage problems where a "stick in a wheel" cases

Anyhow, still nice that the infinite chests are making people happier

3 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

I'm sorry but why would you need an entire chest for catcoon tails, tree jam, cookie cutter shells, different kinds of walls, multiple chests for pinecones or boat equipment.

For a Serious answer, I just got to the point where 1 chest equaled one item type later on. Was primarily easier for me to glance at a notice, and I might as well have done it when I had pencils/free space to spare. Items like pinecones were done since I got a ridiculous excess of them from needing to grind boards, and figured I would hold onto those (which surprisingly came in handy more times then I want to admit). 

It’s one of those things that you wouldn’t realistically need to do in a ~1K-2K server world, but if you push your world way past that you might as well spend a bit extra to make life a little easier.

As for performance, I honestly think the theory about items in chests being equal in performance cost to items on the ground was correct. There was only a minor difference between the two, so I see why their solution for megabasing lategame was to make items types stack infinitely then simply adding more slots to the chests.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Faintly Macabre said:

I didn't catch that from the stream. That sounds awful if it's just for megabasers. I'd never be able to see the upgraded chests on my multiplayer worlds. Or we'd make one, put a bunch of rot in it, light it on fire, and then permanently shut the world down because we've killed all the bosses at that point.

I agree, making 20+ chests in our base is the least interesting part of the game for us.

I'd like some alternate way to get the infinite chests. Keep the current ones for long term megabasers upgrading tons of chests if they can kill CC. Then have a limited earlier method of getting these, that is locked to a boss with a respawn timer so you can't make quite so many of them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/9/2024 at 5:56 PM, Dingle said:

I didn't catch that from the stream. That sounds awful if it's just for megabasers. I'd never be able to see the upgraded chests on my multiplayer worlds. Or we'd make one, put a bunch of rot in it, light it on fire, and then permanently shut the world down because we've killed all the bosses at that point.

I agree, making 20+ chests in our base is the least interesting part of the game for us.

I'd like some alternate way to get the infinite chests. Keep the current ones for long term megabasers upgrading tons of chests if they can kill CC. Then have a limited earlier method of getting these, that is locked to a boss with a respawn timer so you can't make quite so many of them.

Farming logs to build more chests is a chore that most players don't like doing on every new world they play.

I don't think this upgrade needs to be locked behind CC and rifts/Wilson as it doesn't make the survival part of the game any easier.

Edited by 00petar00

On 3/8/2024 at 7:49 PM, 00petar00 said:

What I would prefer is another upgrade item that will increase slots by 9 and that can be applied multiple times on the same chest. I know that some players may not want to have too many chest slots but I don't mind it and everyone would be able to have as many slots as they want in increments of 9.

I honestly really like this idea, but I already know how people would whine about the UI and their precious screen space. So, the upgrade could still add 9 slots as a new "page" of the chest. There would be arrows on the left and right of the chest UI that would flip through the pages. There could also be arrows on the top and bottom so players could extend the amount of slots viewable on one page (it would expand by row).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EATZYOWAFFLEZ said:

I honestly really like this idea, but I already know how people would whine about the UI and their precious screen space. So, the upgrade could still add 9 slots as a new "page" of the chest. There would be arrows on the left and right of the chest UI that would flip through the pages. There could also be arrows on the top and bottom so players could extend the amount of slots viewable on one page (it would expand by row).

That is a good middle ground but a page shouldn't be 9 slots, maybe 18 or 27?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

hat is a good middle ground but a page shouldn't be 9 slots, maybe 18 or 27?

yeah I was thinking maybe once you expand the page by a certain amount of rows it also adds a column or something.

On 3/8/2024 at 10:49 PM, 00petar00 said:

"infinite" chests are so good, I'd want them to be available before rifts/CC as we already have infinite storage (floor) but I guess a lot of people would be very mad if that happened as they find it too powerful even as it is.

We need post -rift good stuff or post rift would be useless. 

There is another storage problem that hasn't been solved, items that can't stack.

A Simple solution would be to allow items that can't be stacked to be stackable in upgraded chests and when taking out items it can be from lowest to highest durability so we use the items that will break first.

I think we could have a new kind of storage totally dedicated to armor and weapons, and yes to stack other things.

O.O

On 3/11/2024 at 3:53 PM, Habakkuk said:

We need post -rift good stuff or post rift would be useless. 

That's not a good reason when it comes to something listed under performance/qol in the beta update thread it shouldn't be locked behind endgame.

On 3/11/2024 at 3:53 PM, Habakkuk said:

I think we could have a new kind of storage totally dedicated to armor and weapons, and yes to stack other things.

On 3/9/2024 at 2:49 AM, 00petar00 said:

If we can use chests to store nearly unlimited amount of stackable items in the same slot, why shouldn't we be able to store items that can't stack and increase chest slots?

I wouldn't mind that much if storage was separated between two structures chest and another one that is for items that can't stack but it would be better if we can upgrade chests to increase storage slots and to be able to stack all items and take out the one with lowest durability left.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

That's not a good reason when it comes to something listed under performance/qol in the beta update thread it shouldn't be locked behind endgame.

We normally have performance problems in late game, unless we are playing in a very old pc. So it will be more useful post-rift. And I think my argument is valid because we really need good stuff pot-rift or post rift will be just pain without gain. 

If we can use chests to store nearly unlimited amount of stackable items in the same slot, why shouldn't we be able to store items that can't stack and increase chest slots?

I am not against that, I just think it is a opportunity to a new kind of storage dedicated to that. 

I wouldn't mind that much if storage was separated between two structures chest and another one that is for items that can't stack but it would be better if we can upgrade chests to increase storage slots and to be able to stack all items and take out the one with lowest durability left.

This is something I don't like, have one or a few chests in the base would make the game very strange, in my opinion. It would look modded, and the fun of build a chest zone would be lost. I think one slot for infinity storage is better than 9 because only a few things need so much storage space. I don't want  to kill the chest zone meta, but I am open to new kinds of storage.