I still haven't forgotten how hard it is to amass a lot of shells, given how worthless the crafts are.

This isn't a platform to speak on how it's in any means justified that it's hard to craft a decorative item or structure. 

I don't really want to hear about your personal stockpile of a "chestful of shells" because my scale is simply larger than yours. 

I don't like gatekeeping towards decoration. Don't get me started on skins for structures either. I won't go about it in depth, but the skin which looks like a pumpkin for the wardrobe with the convoluted method of obtaining it outside of a dollar value is a little gross to me, but I want to focus on shells.

This isn't something I've moved on from. I think there is definitely room in whatever the anticipated "BIG UPDATE!!!!!" is. 

An increase to the drop rates or at least add a craft which lets us duplicate dozens of shells in a single deconstruction staff cast. 

Lately, there have been nothing but missed opportunities at every turn with the updates we've had, one being a method of creating ice floes, which for no good reason, a small and insignificant few decided to veto on absolutely no authority because of a personal issue rather than a legitimate logistical one.

But I ramble, I don't forget about the requests I make and this one is at centerstage right now. 

There really should be a way to farm up a lot of shells in a small amount of time. If I'm able to get a sea of gold in the first autumn, ruins rushing be damned, there are millions of way to skin that cat, at some point in the game, we should be able to farm up worthless, insignificant and feeble shells. Lock it behind Wurt for all I care. 

You want pay to win decor, you got it. Put a dollar value on it. I'm sucker enough to pay for it anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chirsg said:

which for no good reason, a small and insignificant few decided to veto on absolutely no authority because of a personal issue

could you elaborate? i'd like to know since permanent iceberg boats could make for good decoration

1 hour ago, Maxposting said:

could you elaborate? i'd like to know since permanent iceberg boats could make for good decoration

There exists no way to make ice floes on command. All I'm saying is that there are a forum minority that are against ice floes on command because of a chip on their collective shoulders

17 minutes ago, chirsg said:

There exists no way to make ice floes on command. All I'm saying is that there are a forum minority that are against ice floes on command because of a chip on their collective shoulders

Wouldn't ice floes be useless since we have grass rafts already?

• Like 3

The thing is, YOUR case is extreme. Then it is simply a YOU problem. Try fixing it yourself instead of demanding a change that will affect thousands and thousands of people too. There are modders out there to simplify the craft, and if you wanna do vanilla, put crab king to spawn in 5 days and practice his fights as an opportunity. You can always farm shells in between spawn time too.

2 hours ago, chirsg said:

Lately, there have been nothing but missed opportunities at every turn with the updates we've had, one being a method of creating ice floes, which for no good reason, a small and insignificant few decided to veto on absolutely no authority because of a personal issue rather than a legitimate logistical one

You have to undertand that previously, the problem was not personal, but your idea. The problem is legit, but your solution was mindless. Creating dock-styled ice turfs would be a preferred solution since it would also help in a thousand other ways. 

Sometimes you gotta think for everyone, not yourself only. Think outside the box.

Increasing drop rates, wether it is spider glands, volt goat horn or broken shells, all fit into the same box. A failed design and idea of fixing things. It is simply LAZY and even disgusting to adress such issue with simple numbers. In the past years, Klei has been adding more and more ways to gather broken shells, all in a creative and fun process. The problem is you're focusing too much on your goal instead of enjoying the process.

It would be simply a dumbed down solution to tweak numbers on these drops, as it would make all other alternatives added useless.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, _zwb said:

Wouldn't ice floes be useless since we have grass rafts already?

maybe they wouldn't take any damage except the passive drain so you could use them against e.g. CK

1 hour ago, Swiyss said:

It would be simply a dumbed down solution to tweak numbers on these drops, as it would make all other alternatives added useless

then they could make you get more through fun ways so you spend less time getting them if that's an issue?

1 minute ago, grm9 said:

then they could make you get more through fun ways so you spend less time getting them if that's an issue?

But why tho? Having to amass them is a rare problem, but getting a lot of it is not an issue. The problem I have with it is that changing this without adding a grind or challenge to it would mean to simply make the game easier. The game's identity is circled around obtaining knowledge and using it according to your plans. I am not against adding more ways to get them, but to simply make snails drop more or for pearl to give them for free if you ask for example would ruin every other way of obtaining this item. 

I am not treating this mechanic in particular like this, most items need this treatment.

• Like 1
  • Potato Cup 1

48 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

The problem I have with it is that changing this without adding a grind or challenge to it would mean to simply make the game easier

what useful item can you use shells for?

1 minute ago, grm9 said:

what useful item can you use shells for?

Don't bother with him. He simply doesn't want to be wrong. His point has nothing to do with shells and more to do with doubling down on wanting me to be wrong. Shells aren't his problem. I am. 

Literally no one has this much passion against shells. Passion against a living breathing human is more poetic and this is exactly what you're looking at.

This is the forum's version someone who fancies himself Don Quixote and the shells are the windmills. 

Would be a best selling story if it were original. 

• Like 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

15 minutes ago, chirsg said:

Don't bother with him. He simply doesn't want to be wrong. His point has nothing to do with shells and more to do with doubling down on wanting me to be wrong. Shells aren't his problem. I am. 

Literally no one has this much passion against shells. Passion against a living breathing human is more poetic and this is exactly what you're looking at.

This is the forum's version someone who fancies himself Don Quixote and the shells are the windmills. 

Would be a best selling story if it were original. 

Chill. I am just against the increase drop rate of them. And as I said before, other drops as well.

Sure they can add yet another way to "amass" shells, but it would be grindy as well, same as every single resource in this game.

The list you made on your older post is simply rigged. Sure it is "easier" to get other resources, but they still require griding.

You're trying to change the system and how it works to only benefit a niche so small I can count with 10 fingers, just because you don't wanna work too much to get more shells.

All I'm saying is, your request is egotistic and redundant. Not yourself, not your person.

However I have to be direct on some parts based on all the extremely filtered crazy things you did before Lol.

8 hours ago, chirsg said:

...the skin which looks like a pumpkin for the wardrobe with the convoluted method of obtaining it outside of a dollar value is a little gross to me...

You mean this one:

330x192?allow_animated=1

...aka Brambleberry Wardrobe skin? What's so difficult to obtain it, "Merge Klei Accounts": make a "bot account" on some platform you'll never use anyway and that's that - 2 "wasted" minutes in a proverbial procrastination sea, let's be real here. Yeah, is artificial af from KLei's goal pov but, oh well, "I just use the meta, am not the one pooping it". I presume the motivation for KLei was multiple platform integration with certain benefits for them. You get a free skin. Am sure anyway later down the line you'll have it in Rewards, obtainable via KLei Points, no need to fret so much.

8 hours ago, chirsg said:

...my scale is simply larger than yours.

If that's the case and you solely want to mass-decorate in your personal server, is more practical to "c_give("slurtle_shellpieces",1000)". No shame on it, is you and your world - am sure you're doing a lot of "cheese" and "exploit" shenanigans as well on other lanes, as we all pretty much do.

Having higher dropping rates from Snails, Sunken Chests, Shell Bells and Crustashines means more junk loitering around in pubs after people go YOLO on these sources, as they do in Endless servers. We already have Forest Shard full of Rot, Rotten Eggs, uprooted plants, petrified forests' minerals on ground, etc and Cave now brimming with those pesky turd-looking boulders (aside mandatory random Minerals and more Rot from dead Bunnies & Moles through Earthquakes) post Rifts to have even more cr@p laying around. Before demanding KLei change such trivial things for a tiny minority of players, try solving your problem yourself, either via console commands or special mods. Oh, you're playing on some console? Then pls propose/lobby KLei to introduce console commands/mods on those inferior gaming stations instead of creating problems for long-running PC dedicated servers or the like.

• Like 2
  • Potato Cup 1

Make slurtle/snurtle shells drop a non-insignificant number of shell shards when hammered or deconstructed.

Shouldn’t be difficult to implement, wouldn’t produce much clutter, isn’t unreasonably tedious to farm, and best of all grants slurtles/snurtles another , albeit niche, purpose.

Win win.

• Like 6

Maybe making shell bells worth 2x the shell value instead would be better? Would cut down on the grind by some capacity, despite it being still kinda grindy just to farm up some shells. If klei were to have us gather materials that are mostly good for decorations I think the effort into getting those should be very minimal. Shells are at best only a decor item if not a boat defence buffer. Can easily change the recipe for shell bumpers a lil to be different cost wise without bankrupting on shells for anything we'd want to build pretty.

Anything that really hurts personally to farm are driftwood, but deconstruction now makes them much less of a nightmare to gather, though wouldn't say the same for shells as I'd not enjoy farming shells via pearl quests for how poor the quest rewards are. Might as well if we were to finish all her chores it would be appreciated granting us a greater shell reward instead for trading or redoing her quests. Nobody goes to pearl for any reason, but builders have to desperately grind to get any shells from her to now fernish their bases.

More shell based decor crafts would also be very appreciated, as so far Sawhorse shows that she's a lot more oriented in decorations for lawns and homes and I hope Klei keeps expanding on it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Evelo said:

What? What on earth are you referring to?

I think something about cosmetics being the thing that will make bases pretty only by buying them we'll get anything nice. Though I feel like there's spite and rage in the OP's topic over the situation of what decorative items mean to the gameplay.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cheggf said:

I think it's justified to be hard to craft a decorative item or structure, and I have a personal stockpile of a chestful of shells. 

It's not justified though. This is such an out of touch thing to say.
What, the barrier of entry to a component in decoration should be high just because making a base look a certain way should be locked behind an arbitrary standard?

- Broken shells have a production cap that's relatively unique to it.

- A few more decoration oriented components are also relevant to general survival. Namely wood and stone and they have an exponential means of multiplying said materials which is something that isn't shared with broken shells. Once again, there is a production cap and absolutely nothing can be done in game.

- In tandem with the production cap, there's also a danger looming in the permanent diminishing of general shell production in the name of slurtle dens being an aggressively finite resource; they don't regenerate hp when hurt and when destroyed, they don't come back. 

If I get a warning point for saying this, I don't want to be part of the forums. 

5 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Though I feel like there's spite and rage in the OP's topic over the situation of what decorative items mean to the gameplay.

This is one of the most dismissive things I've ever seen on the forums. All because I said something on your post about legitimate concerns about balancing in regards to wax paper. Having like 10 honeycombs per bee queen kill or whatever you're requesting gets the ball rolling a little too fast for survival's sake. 

Honeycombs aren't just important for storage. They're also such a valuable source of food and healing. Having a honey factory from a single bee queen kill is something to consider. There's an actual logic in my jab against your suggestion and it seems like you were unhappy with that and decide to psychoanalyze me and in turn dismiss my whole request because I'm what, a little angry? Nah. I actually don't have a motivation to pick up the game because of this and this has been months in the making. 

Also, in regards to what I say against swiyss, I want to direct this to the moderation team

Spoiler

There is 100% a pattern that links what he posts against me as a person rather than the actual suggestions I make independent from who I am. There is a clear association connecting my posts and who I am on the forums instead of an actual genuine critique on the issue itself.

I'll assure you that I won't make any dastardly comments against him, as I've blocked him going forward, but I don't want to walk on eggshells on these forums as a result of my interactions with him.

I truly do believe that he is a problem user and I've been permanently punished for the interactions I have for him, just because of the critiques I give on the forums and his reactions to them.

All the things I say, I do so with extreme love for the game and I want to keep playing. This game has ferried me through really dark times in my life. The suggestions I make in game, I don't do so lightly. I do it with deliberate thought and thousands of hours of experience. 

All my opinions, just to be undermined by a group of people on the forums because of my reputation for being passionate about my points of view is something that serves a very specific agenda and puts a stranglehold on what I have to offer to discourse in the game going forward.

The points I received on the forums will not expire and I'll quickly list my "infractions"
-Making a second account named "Satan_" to sarcastically compliment the boulder earthquakes that sporadically destroyed structures. Apparently trying to combat developmental decisions with light sarcastic humor was an unforgivable offence under the name of multiple accounts.

-What I said against swiyss referring to him as Don Quixote de la Mancha. 

I don't think these two infractions are deserving of permanent strikes against my account. People have said far more severe things and still go about their merry way on the forums, all the while contributing to a very hostile culture, especially a severe hostility against development. 

This post is mostly in response to @JoeW 
I can't tag him, but he's the moderator/developer that has issued me with every single strike against my account to date. I want to remind you, of all people that everything I post here I do so out of love and passion for the game and I believe that if I'm banned from the forums, you'd have lost a very important contributor.

I'm extremely active on the betas in game and I pay a lot of attention to game breaking bugs and report them accordingly.

But even more important than that, I comment on the game's general balance and direction in a manner that is productive and a fair amount of helpful suggestions I've made have gone ignored for the most part. Especially those in the fiscal nature of your company, such as the allocation of the biggest expense being the public servers and the underutilization of them when it comes to beta testing.

This should demonstrate that my love for the game is something much deeper than nitpicks to small things in the game. 

I can speculate your opinion on me, JoeW, and I feel like you yourself dislike me and it's apparent that your opinion of me is someone who acts to sabotage this game, but I assure you, it isn't. I want this studio to succeed and I'm quite frankly shattered that Klei was acquired by Tencent.

I wish for the game to be successful independent of them.

For all my effort and attention to be in jeopardy just because of a bit harmless sarcastic humor on a second account and a dispute I have with a member on the forums? I don't want to police my every action between now into eternity just because of strikes that undeservingly won't expire.

If I'm going to be neutered like this, you may as well ban me. 

I'll end with this; I know that I'm a valuable member of the forums. I know that what I have to say holds weight. I'm in touch with every single player, from the survivalists to the builders. I harbor no animosity against any playstyle and I address issues in the game deeper than just the game itself such as behaviors and attitude the community has regarding solutions to problems and roles mods play in that, which I believe is 0. 

The strikes against me I truly believe aren't in the nature to reform, but instead, is more akin to whipping a dog with a belt because of an impatient owner who doesn't understand how to deal with a problem. The nature of the strikes not expiring won't serve for me to reflect on my infractions, and instead serve to have me walk on eggshells towards users whose opinions I civilly disagree with, not including swiyss of course, whom I actually have an outward disrespect for,  which I will no longer indulge as I have blocked him. I've learned my lesson, and I apologize for fraternizing with him and in turn insulting him. You've seen the last of that, I assure you. 

@JoeW

9 minutes ago, chirsg said:

It's not justified though. This is such an out of touch thing to say.
What, the barrier of entry to a component in decoration should be high just because making a base look a certain way should be locked behind an arbitrary standard?

- Broken shells have a production cap that's relatively unique to it.

- A few more decoration oriented components are also relevant to general survival. Namely wood and stone and they have an exponential means of multiplying said materials which is something that isn't shared with broken shells. Once again, there is a production cap and absolutely nothing can be done in game.

- In tandem with the production cap, there's also a danger looming in the permanent diminishing of general shell production in the name of slurtle dens being an aggressively finite resource; they don't regenerate hp when hurt and when destroyed, they don't come back. 

If I get a warning point for saying this, I don't want to be part of the forums. 

This is one of the most dismissive things I've ever seen on the forums. All because I said something on your post about legitimate concerns about balancing in regards to wax paper. Having like 10 honeycombs per bee queen kill or whatever you're requesting gets the ball rolling a little too fast for survival's sake. 

Honeycombs aren't just important for storage. They're also such a valuable source of food and healing. Having a honey factory from a single bee queen kill is something to consider. There's an actual logic in my jab against your suggestion and it seems like you were unhappy with that and decide to psychoanalyze me and in turn dismiss my whole request because I'm what, a little angry? Nah. I actually don't have a motivation to pick up the game because of this and this has been months in the making. 

Also, in regards to what I say against swiyss, I want to direct this to the moderation team

Hide contents

There is 100% a pattern that links what he posts against me as a person rather than the actual suggestions I make independent from who I am. There is a clear association connecting my posts and who I am on the forums instead of an actual genuine critique on the issue itself.

I'll assure you that I won't make any dastardly comments against him, as I've blocked him going forward, but I don't want to walk on eggshells on these forums as a result of my interactions with him.

I truly do believe that he is a problem user and I've been permanently punished for the interactions I have for him, just because of the critiques I give on the forums and his reactions to them.

All the things I say, I do so with extreme love for the game and I want to keep playing. This game has ferried me through really dark times in my life. The suggestions I make in game, I don't do so lightly. I do it with deliberate thought and thousands of hours of experience. 

All my opinions, just to be undermined by a group of people on the forums because of my reputation for being passionate about my points of view is something that serves a very specific agenda and puts a stranglehold on what I have to offer to discourse in the game going forward.

The points I received on the forums will not expire and I'll quickly list my "infractions"
-Making a second account named "Satan_" to sarcastically compliment the boulder earthquakes that sporadically destroyed structures. Apparently trying to combat developmental decisions with light sarcastic humor was an unforgivable offence under the name of multiple accounts.

-What I said against swiyss referring to him as Don Quixote de la Mancha. 

I don't think these two infractions are deserving of permanent strikes against my account. People have said far more severe things and still go about their merry way on the forums, all the while contributing to a very hostile culture, especially a severe hostility against development. 

This post is mostly in response to @JoeW 
I can't tag him, but he's the moderator/developer that has issued me with every single strike against my account to date. I want to remind you, of all people that everything I post here I do so out of love and passion for the game and I believe that if I'm banned from the forums, you'd have lost a very important contributor.

I'm extremely active on the betas in game and I pay a lot of attention to game breaking bugs and report them accordingly.

But even more important than that, I comment on the game's general balance and direction in a manner that is productive and a fair amount of helpful suggestions I've made have gone ignored for the most part. Especially those in the fiscal nature of your company, such as the allocation of the biggest expense being the public servers and the underutilization of them when it comes to beta testing.

This should demonstrate that my love for the game is something much deeper than nitpicks to small things in the game. 

I can speculate your opinion on me, JoeW, and I feel like you yourself dislike me and it's apparent that your opinion of me is someone who acts to sabotage this game, but I assure you, it isn't. I want this studio to succeed and I'm quite frankly shattered that Klei was acquired by Tencent.

I wish for the game to be successful independent of them.

For all my effort and attention to be in jeopardy just because of a bit harmless sarcastic humor on a second account and a dispute I have with a member on the forums? I don't want to police my every action between now into eternity just because of strikes that undeservingly won't expire.

If I'm going to be neutered like this, you may as well ban me. 

I'll end with this; I know that I'm a valuable member of the forums. I know that what I have to say holds weight. I'm in touch with every single player, from the survivalists to the builders. I harbor no animosity against any playstyle and I address issues in the game deeper than just the game itself such as behaviors and attitude the community has regarding solutions to problems and roles mods play in that, which I believe is 0. 

The strikes against me I truly believe aren't in the nature to reform, but instead, is more akin to whipping a dog with a belt because of an impatient owner who doesn't understand how to deal with a problem. The nature of the strikes not expiring won't serve for me to reflect on my infractions, and instead serve to have me walk on eggshells towards users whose opinions I civilly disagree with, not including swiyss of course, whom I actually have an outward disrespect for,  which I will no longer indulge as I have blocked him. I've learned my lesson, and I apologize for fraternizing with him and in turn insulting him. You've seen the last of that, I assure you. 

@JoeW

I am so sorry that you feel this way, and I know how it feels to have opinions against you that sometimes feels like direct attacks. I want you to know that you can always come to my posts, say whatever you want about my ideas and suggestions, and you're welcomed to talk to me in discord at any time.

I will believe you. I believe that your intention is great and towards making the game better. I believe you're very passionate, and I trust you as a member of the community here.

In no way I am trying to direct attacks against you as a person, that would go against my morals. I am treating you very well compared to what you said to me, but I do not wanna go too much off topic or continue this personal discussion.

Just know that if I hurt you, I'm sorry.

1 hour ago, chirsg said:

Broken shells have a production cap that's relatively unique to it.

- A few more decoration oriented components are also relevant to general survival. Namely wood and stone and they have an exponential means of multiplying said materials which is something that isn't shared with broken shells. Once again, there is a production cap and absolutely nothing can be done in game

Exactly. Stone and wood is something very necessary for the progress of the game, but shells not to much. Making the shells more abundant would result in 99% of players that aren't building a massive pot decoration stacking them up. Most of us don't even break the sound shells, they already stack too much. You contradict yourself here.

4 hours ago, chirsg said:

out of touch

Love that song. 

4 hours ago, Swiyss said:

I am so sorry that you feel this way, and I know how it feels to have opinions against you that sometimes feels like direct attacks. I want you to know that you can always come to my posts, say whatever you want about my ideas and suggestions, and you're welcomed to talk to me in discord at any time.

I will believe you. I believe that your intention is great and towards making the game better. I believe you're very passionate, and I trust you as a member of the community here.

In no way I am trying to direct attacks against you as a person, that would go against my morals. I am treating you very well compared to what you said to me, but I do not wanna go too much off topic or continue this personal discussion.

Just know that if I hurt you, I'm sorry.

Don't stress out about this. You didn't do anything. 

• Health 1

20 hours ago, chirsg said:

There is a clear association connecting my posts and who I am on the forums instead of an actual genuine critique on the issue itself.

Has anyone ever asked why it looks like you want to prove that "I can be as rude as I want as long as I am 'right'"?

Maybe you do get some short-lived attention, but it doesn't come without side effects. If you actually value getting genuine critique maybe try something different to get different results?