What QoL (Quality of life) updates would REALLY IMPROVE DST?

Just like choose an answer it’s not that hard-  

92 members have voted

1. 1. What QoL content would be better?

• Fixing world generation to make it more unique or more random, spread out and more sparse biomes.
    • Fixing issues with connections with lag, especially on some console editions ( it is extremely laggy )
    • Doing a big update where they improve features and do lots of bug fixes and prevent glitches from happening.
  2. 2. QoL updates usually make they game wholly better and improve everything everything functioning. Choose reasons why or why not. If the reasons below were not stated please explain in the replies.

• Yes, they make the game so much better because it fixes so many issues.
    • Kinda, it really improved the game but we are left with a little less content.
    • Neutral, Klei works hard on DST, but has flaws.
    • No, they spent too much time on QoL and now DST doesn’t have as much content.
    • Not really, it improved the game but the QoL updates are underwhelming.
  3. 3. What was the best QoL update/ regular content update DST had?

• The ancient guardian rework and crafting rework.
    • Farming refresh!
    • The upcoming skilltrees.

This might a little controversial, but what if rot, manure, guano, rotten eggs and maybe a few more items (hound teeth, stingers) just disappeared after like 50 days? Would stop making worlds look like garbage dumps after the second year or so. I think tree stumps already do that, but I may be wrong.

This could be a world setting that you could enable/dissable whenever you want, and maybe they could make it only apply to items that a player has never picked up before, so your 2000 pounds of pigmen excrement tucked away in the corner of your base wouldn’t dissipate overnight.  
Oddly specific is it? *breaks fourth wall*

• Like 6

I think itd be great if more loot dropped partially stacked like stone fruit and even cawnival tickets. 

it could work on a chance based system like when u chop down a tree theres a 50% chance for 2 logs to combine and then a 25% chance for a third log to join the stack too etc etc.

So much time is spent picking up drops i find it soooooo annoying lol. Luckily less annoying since they started to replace the ear piercing ping picking sounds, but still.. 

lazy forager should also then be adjusted a little to not lose effectiveness.

Edited by Ohan
  • Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

5 hours ago, Kubicska said:

This might a little controversial, but what if rot, manure, guano, rotten eggs and maybe a few more items (hound teeth, stingers) just disappeared after like 50 days? Would stop making worlds look like garbage dumps after the second year or so. I think tree stumps already do that, but I may be wrong.

This could be a world setting that you could enable/dissable whenever you want, and maybe they could make it only apply to items that a player has never picked up before, so your 2000 pounds of pigmen excrement tucked away in the corner of your base wouldn’t dissipate overnight.  
Oddly specific is it? *breaks fourth wall*

I don't like this. As a wormwood player, having bits of health scattered around the map is nice at some point. And I am also a player who cleans everything, from twigs and seeds to festive baubles and statue blueprints. I would absolutely hate this feature since it would give me constant anxiety that I'm losing potential resources while playing.

33 minutes ago, Ohan said:

I think itd be great if more loot dropped partially stacked like stone fruit and even cawnival tickets. 

it could work on a chance based system like when u chop down a tree theres a 50% chance for 2 logs to combine and then a 25% chance for a third log to join the stack too etc etc.

So much time is spent picking up drops i find it soooooo annoying lol. Luckily less annoying since they started to replacing the ear piercing ping picking sounds, but still.. 

lazy forager should also then be adjusted a little to not lose effectiveness.

This is amazing. Picking things up after a long trip to the forest with our friend bearger really takes a long long time.

Edited by Swiyss

12 hours ago, Reecitz said:

Too late.

It would be quite rude to say this, especially since English wasn’t their first language. Imagine being a non- native english speaker, trying to use your best English, and you are getting criticized for it. I know you didn’t know it wasn’t his first language, but still. You know everyone here also tries to be a bit respectful about opinion/bias/fact.  :)

3 hours ago, Swiyss said:

I don't like this. As a wormwood player, having bits of health scattered around the map is nice at some point. And I am also a player who cleans everything, from twigs and seeds to festive baubles and statue blueprints. I would absolutely hate this feature since it would give me constant anxiety that I'm losing potential resources while playing.

This is amazing. Picking things up after a long trip to the forest with our friend bearger really takes a long long time.

Agreed, especially since in every DST world, nearly everything you do with or without friends is tedious and you must take care of everything! That can be cleaning, getting firewood, or harvesting food.Also picking up items like this would be a dream. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Klei needs to finish all of the unfinished feeling content like the caves and ocean. They keep starting new things and moving on to the next. 

Tough luck my man. That'd take them like 2 years. And they can't go that long without adding a marketable raid boss or reworking characters

16 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Tough luck my man. That'd take them like 2 years. And they can't go that long without adding a marketable raid boss or reworking characters

Heavily agreed, fresh content only stays ‘fresh’ for so long.

1 hour ago, Trontar said:

You know everyone here also tries to be a bit respectful about opinion/bias/fact.  :)

Quit lying to me, yourself, and everyone else here; liars like you are just as bad, if not worse, than the person you claim to be protecting. 

29 minutes ago, Reecitz said:

Quit lying to me, yourself, and everyone else here; liars like you are just as bad, if not worse, than the person you claim to be protecting. 

You know, I didn’t actually mean everyone. It was at least a majority of people who can represent a good picture of their thoughts. Hopefully, I don’t have to deal with more people who can’t take an opinion or view ( probably not you, but no offense either :|). I just don’t understand why you cannot leave it on a friendly note or respectable end.. Again. Don’t take it quite to seriously or literally…  huh. But again… internet culture, right? All in all, everyone can be nice, but also have hatred. 

Edited by Trontar
Re wording again

29 minutes ago, Reecitz said:

Don't be stank

31 minutes ago, Trontar said:

You know, I didn’t actually mean everyone. It was at least a majority of people who can represent a good picture of their thoughts. Hopefully, I don’t have to deal with more people who can’t take an opinion or view ( probably not you, but no offense either :|). I just don’t understand why you cannot leave it on a friendly note or respectable end.. Again. Don’t take it quite to seriously or literally…  huh. But again… internet culture, right? All in all, everyone can be nice, but also have hatred. 

My opinion is that you talk too much; are you gonna respect it?

• Shopcat 2
  • Potato Cup 1

5 hours ago, Reecitz said:

My opinion is that you talk too much; are you gonna respect it?

There isn’t much to respect if this wasn’t even an opinion. I’m pretty sure it’s a fact that won’t be changed. 

One small thing that could be done that isn't major world gen tweaks or back end performance improvements would be to add new tiers of tools to fill the vanilla gaps. I've pointed out a couple times that there's only two hammers in the game the basic stone one and the post CC brightshade smasher, prior to Reap what you Sow a mid tier hammer was probably unnecessary but if you find yourself growing a lot of giant crops you go through hammers like water. As well as some other tools that have no middle of the road option, the bug net for example now has the shadow one from the cave rift content but nothing in between, there's only one fishing pole for pond fishing and so on. Coming up with new tools and utilities that fit in between tiers or fill specific niche's would be a nice update as opposed to more combat.

The console versions desperately need QoL updates. 

I don't know what the DST player breakdown is (ie if it's 90% PC, well then it is what it is) 

But if it's anywhere in the realm of reasonable make basic things decent on console. 

Especially seeing damn enemies HP! 

• Like 2

Ruins generation update. Either making them a lot more ruin-y with those bridges having some sorts of paths set up, nightmare beacons set up or pillars. There's sometimes generating ruin areas that can be big or small but barely have anything in them or has enough but feel very open space and nothing else. Expanding ruin content in general is a good idea to up the difficulty and or reward. 

Optimization updates are much needed. Massive amounts of grass tufts, spiders, animals, glass rains, farm plants make a lot server performance issues. Seems to be usually with animated structures. Also issues with Ocuvigil and ice crystaleyezer adding more performance issues in bases with a lot of assets 

Increase wax crafts per honeycomb. I mainly use it for storing excess resources, chests don't offer as much space as I'd wish. Excess wood, food, rocks, gold, basics... The less we have on the ground and the less chests we need to build the better it'll be as a storage solution. After first few bundles you don't need more to store excess food supply so balance wise it shouldn't break anything in theory. Having less anxiety of losing wax papers means it could be higher tier than giftwraps as reusable bundles and people often in private worlds use giftwraps to replace the bundle need just to store items. Also, as additional thing - we get to wax more vegetables :) More overly colorful decor.

Intergrade modded content as official in PC and consoles. Like: Gestures wheel, geometric placement, skin queue, status announcements. Useful mods that should be part of the game.

Some damn use for all the damn brightshade husks. Also - either new decorative bushes for building to replace wild ones we replant or domesticate them in a way we could use them as occasional food and decor. Maybe brightshade husks making flowerpots to plant stuff on boats? Or even using the husks to plant plants in general, making base gardening nice again.

I'd like the chronology of the structures not to affect how you can place them. Sick of having to build crock pots first. 

An option for tools to prioritise a section of the inventory would be nice as well.

That's about everything I currently need.

I feel like the poll didn't have options that encompassed my thoughts, so I'll just list what QoL changes I personally want:

* I want an option to disable sanity color drain and noise. Such a beautiful game but being insane with snow on the ground is so harsh on the eyes. The sanity noise gets grating after awhile.

* I take more freezing damage from the first few days of spring than I do from the entirety of winter because there is no warning when I am getting too cold.

* The ability to quick stack my items into existing stacks in nearby chests would be amazing. Terraria introduced me to that concept and it is addictive.

* If I equip a weapon for my inventory and then unequip it, it will try to return to its previous inventory space. If it can't return, it will instead go the first open inventory slot. I may not know where that it be during a fight and get caught panic searching my inventory while being attacked. This usually happens when switching between weapons or exhausting planar gear. This probably sounds like a weird gripe, but it is my most common one while playing. 

* I also have an empty backpack and a tidy main inventory that is immediately cluttered by the first item I pick up. I would like to tell the game to fill my backpack before my pockets.

Edited by Ridley
  • Like 1

They need to do actual optimizations for the game like something similar to the Don't Starve Alone mod when playing solo or even when playing with your friends and just have everyone not be able to go in the caves except the host and when host does everyone is taken along with them. That would be real nice as a world setting option for people that have weaker pcs.

The ocean canopy biome should also be optimized having bloom on in that biome causes huge performance drop, it's crazy!

In terms of updates I really hope after the character refreshes they don't touch the characters anymore! Don't add new characters anymore! No new character anything! It feels so horrible after I'm pretty sure a few years of character reworks they did character reworks 2.0 and that's not even touching on how the skills just make all the characters like OP rpg characters (lol willow can shoot fire kamehamehas). I remember the times when don't starve actually felt like a survival game and now it's basically now rpg animal crossing with 9,999 skins (scary part is that might actually be true) with the skeleton of the old don't starve trying to keep its original shape... just add some new content which actually makes the game feel like a survival game lol my own prediction is in a few years dst will be a tencent rpg "survival" game with gacha :lol:

We. Need. QoL for Rifts on surface.

Especially Brightshades! This is technically a diesease 2.0. Rifts uproot wild plants and we cannot even plant them back without BS infestation. T^T

I hate when my world turns into wasteland and limits my options to decorate base.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

• Fix chest lag
  • Add garbage clumps of some sort for dropped junk, for things like twigs, pinecones, rot, rotten eggs, grass, stingers, hounds teeth etc. The clump forms after a set number of days.
  • Add a way to place dropped items like static structures so decoration people don't lose options, AND item-based base design doesn't make pressing space a form of potential griefing.
  • Please for the love of god make the caves transition faster, I know ya'll made some significant improvements to it a couple years back, but it's still really annoying and slows down gameplay + makes caves really unappealing to go to frequently.
  • Like 4

1st of all; I'm a bit late on this thread, but THANK you for putting an console related option. I'm 1/2 years away from the game, because i don't quite really like playing on my notebook, as i feel comfy on my Xbox. But playing there is a neverending nighmare of input lag. Hope they pay attention to that this year.