Don't Starve Together 2024 Roadmap

Wonderful news!

The longer periods between updates makes a lot of sense. 4 major updates in a year is still a lot tbh. Frequent updates made a ton of sense back in 2011 and the years following when Don't Starve was still new and developing into what it wanted to be, but it's become an ongoing online multiplayer game with WAY more eyes on it. Changing the approach to updates seems like it will take a lot of unnecessary pressure off.

I'm even happier to see the animated shorts, skins, and gameplay updates finally become detached. It always seemed like having to coordinate the three had more of an effect on the actual content than it should have. (I figure the Walter short was intended to be released with Walter/Webber/Wendy skill trees and skins, but since the skins were Christmas themed both were released in December with the WigWillow update instead?) I love the work the animators do and I believe they'll produce even more amazing animation without the restraint of having to promote specific skins/gameplay updates.

Yay! Year of the Dragonfly! Very excited to see what that entails!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, JoeW said:

What’s coming up

For 2024 we are going to continue these, but we have decided to change our update process for this year. We’re going to have longer periods between updates in order to have more substantial and impactful gameplay updates.

Thank you so, so, so, SO much! This is absolutely the right call. I would much rather have slower updates with the kinks worked out rather than super rapid-fire stuff without context. Plus it gives you guys an easier timeline to work in.

This alone makes me feel very optimistic for the year!

I'm definitely hoping to have less weird damage mechanic power creep, but this will absolutely work for now!

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

23 hours ago, JoeW said:

In between these updates we will be releasing new lore shorts, new skins and occasional news on their own just to keep things from being too quiet for too long.

Skins woohoo! Adding onto the "Archaic" and "Masquerader" lines would be awesome! Imagining a depths dangler or ancient themed Webber or a human-masked WX would be sick!

• Like 1

Glad you're taking more time to update the game. 

Just pleas, tell the team that work on PS/Xbox versions to release QOL there too. I know the fanbase there is not equally larger, but please, i'm tired of begging for that.

(And please do a good Wurt skilltree)

• Health 2

16 hours ago, DeeterDeet said:

One simple suggestion

PLEASE add geometric placement to console as a qol. I can't build any megabases until then. You guys did it in hamlet with houses, so why no dst?

They can go the terraria route to make it an item. I'm thinking either tier 2 science or tier 3 magic. My reasoning for tier 3 magic is because ancients remind me a mix of aztec and greek (and cave bug people...). Greeks alongside egyptians being the geometry geniuses of their time, they could've invented a magic thulecite item that  combines the power of math and magic. Could look like a triangle ruler made of thulecite and gears and something else that's magical (not gems cause don't wanna make it too expensive). For the recipe balance im thinking 1 thulecite, 2 gears, 3 n fuel all of the stuff is plenty in the ruins.

Alternatively they can make it an archives knowledge toilet recipe. But i don't think anyone wants to do the staff event before basing...

Edited by BalkanCockroach
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, xDarkSoul18x said:

Hype! Still waiting for that patch on Console for OG Don't Starve though! :whistle: :love_heart:

what you're talking about?

Edited by ZHollowBR
mistype
  • Like 1
  • Wavey 1
  • Big Ups 1

On 1/31/2024 at 8:26 PM, Dr. Safety said:

Nice! Any news on the items that will come with the YouTooz figures?

If there's gonna be any in-game items, I hope they'll also be made available on the Rewards page.

The Proof of Purchase skins are pretty much the only items I'm missing, but I'm not gonna pay 2-300 bucks just to get a dozen codes. :(

Edited by Blue Three
  • Haha 1

On 2/2/2024 at 6:59 PM, _zwb said:

Where's "more information about the choice for the animated short"?

It's doesn't really need a specific explanation. They mentioned how at the end of year things overlap with next year.  That's exactly what happened.

They're decoupling Updates and Shorts, the choice for the animated short was the start of that.

Well since the next update is confirmed to be Year of the Dragonfly, and that update is less then 4 days away, I fear it may be too late for me to get any last minute suggestions in.

Bearded Dragon GlomGlom skin as Weaveable/Purchasable please? :wilson_love:

And outside of that, I would deeply & greatly appreciate an easier way of obtaining both the Extra Adorable Larvae & Broodling Pets- Besides having to kill Dragonfly with a % Chance of getting it.

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

On 2/2/2024 at 4:08 PM, ZHollowBR said:

what you're talking about?

Yeah, what Brago said. The original Don't starve got a bit of QoL changes, bug fixes etc for RoG, Shiprecked and Hamlet. Console was going to get it when they could. :/

I would personally wait half a year for an update if it meant more characters could get a skin for an update! I was a little bummed Warly and Wortox didn't receive their Merrymaker but it's understandable with the old update schedule and how pressured it would seem!

Looking forward to all the content this year!! Super optimistic to see the team taking their time! Ethical and room for brainstorming!! heheeee!

• Big Ups 1

This is very exciting. I really like the idea of spacing out updates with small things in the middle. The spaces are going to allow a lot of time for skin sets that aren't finished to be finished.

And let's not forget the lore shorts! I love the DST lore so much and the animated shorts are amazing. With the character updates being finished I was a little sad seeing we couldn't get to see the rest of the characters pasts but now we can! That mysterious ending for Wickerbottom's short had me on the edge of my seat, so really glad they're doing something like this! (Perhaps even old puzzles hidden in the videos?)

I honestly am a fan of skill trees and am excited to see who gets one, my hopes being Wendy, Wurt, and or Webber. Also hoping to see a shadow update, much like the lunar one, that adds new shadow variants for giants. Some quality of life improvements will also be exciting to see. (Maybe scaling depending on players? I can hope) As for the usual events, I hope they update cawnival again as that's my favorite one to play.

Overall 2024 looks promising and I can't wait to see what Klein has in store.

Edited by Squidyfoo
  • Like 1