Klei please listen. The "survival" aspect of the game is dying slowly.

6 hours ago, Swiyss said:

Then don't activate rifts. You have to actually thank Klei for this, if they made rits automatically after killing CC, you would be screaming in your room with frustration.

I would scream only for bad game design.

Nothing post-rifts is killing me, or even making the game harder.  I do not die to acid rain or enhanced earth quakes, but in response to them I don't enter or interact with caves as much.  That is the natural player response to adding such inconveniences.  This response is in conflict with them adding content.  Klei knows this so they add an immunizer - we get umbralla and pillars immediately with these new things b/c Klei has to admit they are not challenges we need to play through, they are just inconveniences and honestly after killing AFW and CC they are not very interesting ones.

Acid rain especially frustrates me because it removes the interesting interaction of lighting damage vs wet mobs.  Acid rain removes options, but adds nothing.  It is a bad feature, and at best needs a way to immunize it - not b/c I am bad or a casual but b/c I have no reason to go to the caves, so making it even worse is just further relegating cave-play to the sidelines.  Anything that reduces playing of the game, reduces the many options, features, and interactions in the game is a bad thing.  imo acid rain should cause wetness the same as normal rain.

There is a common trend of attacking megabasers like they are unable to handle new or challenging content, and are holding DST back.  The fact is the end game of DST is when you've overcome all challenges and you just play and enjoy the game.  The curtain doesn't close, we don't roll credits - and enemies are not going to just infinitely scale up until playing becomes pointless - Klei leaves the game on and lets us play in the sandbox.  Megabasing is a natural course of sand box play, and even in DS this was one of the things you would do after clearing all of the content.

Doing nuisance things like disrupting decorations, destroying structures, etc doesn't give players new things to do whether they are megabasers or not - all it does is annoy people until they turn the game off.  For a game that thrives based replay and continued play this is bad for Klei, which is why they are always releasing immunizers along with the new content.  If the nuisance becomes great enough that players turn the game off instead of continuing to play... if the nuisance takes away the reward of clearing all the content... if players don't turn the game back on.. then DST dies.

Megabasers or not.

6 hours ago, Swiyss said:

Sadly that's all that's left to do in the late game. And everytime I do megabases, it gets to a point where in my head I'm thinking that there is no way I'll be able to ACTUALLY express my creativity through a build in this game because the game core itself limits this.

If I wanna build insane gigantic stuff I can just open minecraft,

imo sounds more like a medium issue.  Minecraft gives you the creation tools you want.  You like the more technical builds, and probably the more pixelated appearance.  Others do not.  Klei has that gothic / alice in wonderland / nightmare before christmas vibe that minecraft does not, so I play this instead.  Nothing wrong with both existing - and it sounds like you understand that both minecraft and dst, being sand box games, ultimately result in mega basing b/c what else do you do when the game content is cleared?  Your reward for "beating" both of these games is to keep the game open and just continue doing whatever you feel is fun - whether that is repeating bosses, or making mega builds.

Its also very common in these games for people who don't like the endless play to just re-start and play through progression again.  I am not a megabaser.  I get a lot of joy from DST in optimizing progression play.  My worlds rarely last more than a few hundred days, yet I have thousands of hours in the game b/c this is fun for me.

7 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Nothing post-rifts is killing me, or even making the game harder.  I do not die to acid rain or enhanced earth quakes, but in response to them I don't enter or interact with caves as much.  That is the natural player response to adding such inconveniences.  This response is in conflict with them adding content.  Klei knows this so they add an immunizer - we get umbralla and pillars immediately with these new things b/c Klei has to admit they are not challenges we need to play through, they are just inconveniences and honestly after killing AFW and CC they are not very interesting ones.

Acid rain especially frustrates me because it removes the interesting interaction of lighting damage vs wet mobs.  Acid rain removes options, but adds nothing.  It is a bad feature, and at best needs a way to immunize it - not b/c I am bad or a casual but b/c I have no reason to go to the caves, so making it even worse is just further relegating cave-play to the sidelines.  Anything that reduces playing of the game, reduces the many options, features, and interactions in the game is a bad thing.  imo acid rain should cause wetness the same as normal rain.

There is a common trend of attacking megabasers like they are unable to handle new or challenging content, and are holding DST back.  The fact is the end game of DST is when you've overcome all challenges and you just play and enjoy the game.  The curtain doesn't close, we don't roll credits - and enemies are not going to just infinitely scale up until playing becomes pointless - Klei leaves the game on and lets us play in the sandbox.  Megabasing is a natural course of sand box play, and even in DS this was one of the things you would do after clearing all of the content.

Doing nuisance things like disrupting decorations, destroying structures, etc doesn't give players new things to do whether they are megabasers or not - all it does is annoy people until they turn the game off.  For a game that thrives based replay and continued play this is bad for Klei, which is why they are always releasing immunizers along with the new content.  If the nuisance becomes great enough that players turn the game off instead of continuing to play... if the nuisance takes away the reward of clearing all the content... if players don't turn the game back on.. then DST dies.

Megabasers or not.

imo sounds more like a medium issue.  Minecraft gives you the creation tools you want.  You like the more technical builds, and probably the more pixelated appearance.  Others do not.  Klei has that gothic / alice in wonderland / nightmare before christmas vibe that minecraft does not, so I play this instead.  Nothing wrong with both existing - and it sounds like you understand that both minecraft and dst, being sand box games, ultimately result in mega basing b/c what else do you do when the game content is cleared?  Your reward for "beating" both of these games is to keep the game open and just continue doing whatever you feel is fun - whether that is repeating bosses, or making mega builds.

Its also very common in these games for people who don't like the endless play to just re-start and play through progression again.  I am not a megabaser.  I get a lot of joy from DST in optimizing progression play.  My worlds rarely last more than a few hundred days, yet I have thousands of hours in the game b/c this is fun for me.

Thats how I play terraria. It's just a world that gets ended on 1 class, only for me to create another but now with a different class. Dst is pretty much similar to this, but instead of classes you got the characters. Although I think the skill trees are a good start to replayability, I still think that making it so we can craft more turfs, have more furniture, build more things besides the ocean and caves or even expanding them should be the focus for the next QoL, even a map change, a big one, would already give DST probably a thousand more hours of replayability until it gets stagnated again.

With the main focus being the games identity, I think they can probably do it in this dst way.

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

Acid rain especially frustrates me because it removes the interesting interaction of lighting damage vs wet mobs

cave still have normal rain if rift not open btw.
so fight with the mobs being wet in cave still can happen. 

thank you for wording this well.

Megabasers or not.

See the problem I have with the game is that Klei designed things to take damage from mobs and weather hazards- (if they didn’t then the structures simply wouldn’t take damage and that’s the end of that story..) But there are very very few actual mobs and weather hazards that are going to threaten this..

So Klei needs to either A: Ramp up the survival aspects and actually let mobs & hazards effect your base..

Or B- Just give the hell up and make all player placed structures indestructible to mobs and weather hazards anyway.

There is no Middle Ground here… and the sooner they realize that, the sooner development for the game can be steered into a more clear direction (for better or worse)

34 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

There is no Middle Ground here… and the sooner they realize that, the sooner development for the game can be steered into a more clear direction (for better or worse)

The only structures with hit points are walls, and they can take monster aggro so.............. that is already done.

Bosses and some things can destroy almost any structure, and that is there to..................

Meanwhile there are a lot of things without health, and are thus immune to destruction except from a boss walking through.

Aggro and mob / boss interaction with structures is pretty clear and predictable.  Seems like the game has a pretty clear design pattern so mission accomplished?

2 hours ago, Shosuko said:

The only structures with hit points are walls, and they can take monster aggro so.............. that is already done.

Bosses and some things can destroy almost any structure, and that is there to..................

Meanwhile there are a lot of things without health, and are thus immune to destruction except from a boss walking through.

Aggro and mob / boss interaction with structures is pretty clear and predictable.  Seems like the game has a pretty clear design pattern so mission accomplished?

Settings are always a good thing in survival games- Even the new completely free game mode for Fortnite seems to realize this, Borrowing gameplay mechanics that are straight up out of Dont Starve.

Spoiler

IMG_6007.jpeg.56b6f109003091bd540096881ff2178e.jpeg

Yes, you see that correctly there’s Temperature & Hunger settings for a new “Survival” mode on Fortnite.

If Klei devs haven’t been paying attention so far, they need to start upping their A game on this one..

Maybe you yourself want a more Sandboxy mode: so perhaps add settings that let your structures not take damage or take less damage would be beneficial to you, meanwhile other players may want things to take damage or even break faster- And options are NEVER a bad thing..

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Settings are always a good thing in survival games- Even the new completely free game mode for Fortnite seems to realize this, Borrowing gameplay mechanics that are straight up out of Dont Starve.

Reveal hidden contents

Yes, you see that correctly there’s Temperature & Hunger settings for a new “Survival” mode on Fortnite.

If Klei devs haven’t been paying attention so far, they need to start upping their A game on this one..

Maybe you yourself want a more Sandboxy mode: so perhaps add settings that let your structures not take damage or take less damage would be beneficial to you, meanwhile other players may want things to take damage or even break faster- And options are NEVER a bad thing..

i dont see why they should waste such ammount of time making such specific settings when there are a lot of unfinished content

14 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Reveal hidden contents

What do you mean?  We have these settings.  If you want to make it always autumn you can.  You can turn off hunger or heat damage from being lethal.

I'm not sure what your reply is supposed to mean.

Also we get the upmost granularity for those who want it - DST is a very easy game to make mods for.  If you are such an enthusiast about having the most control over your games, buy a pc and learn to code - or make friends who code - and do literally anything you want b/c there is no setting you cannot adjust in a mod.

Even if you want to add hit points to alchemy station and make hounds plow through auto-destroying every structure you can.

Sorry consoles do not support mods well, that is the console decision though.  You don't have to support xbox or playstation's extremely restrictive model.

22 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

What do you mean?  We have these settings.  If you want to make it always autumn you can.  You can turn off hunger or heat damage from being lethal.

I'm not sure what your reply is supposed to mean.

Also we get the upmost granularity for those who want it - DST is a very easy game to make mods for.  If you are such an enthusiast about having the most control over your games, buy a pc and learn to code - or make friends who code - and do literally anything you want b/c there is no setting you cannot adjust in a mod.

Even if you want to add hit points to alchemy station and make hounds plow through auto-destroying every structure you can.

Sorry consoles do not support mods well, that is the console decision though.  You don't have to support xbox or playstation's extremely restrictive model.

All I’m trying to do is make it so that my favorite game DST does not fall into obscurity while other brands and franchise rise up to steal away its thunder.

Here watch this:

Spoiler

IMG_6010.gif.a5b2fd3dd41665edf4e6f0303de3bb38.gif

Yup that’s a HOSTILE Mob spawning from the resources I tried to mine or pick up, a feature that was present in Shipwrecked & Hamlet, but Surprisingly absent from DST.

It’s your move now Klei..

Do we go Full Sandbox mode? Or do reinstate some of the Survival?

41 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

All I’m trying to do is make it so that my favorite game DST does not fall into obscurity while other brands and franchise rise up to steal away its thunder.

Here watch this:

Hide contents

IMG_6010.gif.a5b2fd3dd41665edf4e6f0303de3bb38.gif

Yup that’s a HOSTILE Mob spawning from the resources I tried to mine or pick up, a feature that was present in Shipwrecked & Hamlet, but Surprisingly absent from DST.

It’s your move now Klei..

Do we go Full Sandbox mode? Or do reinstate some of the Survival?

Did snakes kill you in sw?  Like at first sure, but after actually learning how to play the game were they a concern?  Or did they just get in the way of chopping trees?  Same with coconuts dropping on your head.  It was a meme, not a threat.

40 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Did snakes kill you in sw?  Like at first sure, but after actually learning how to play the game were they a concern?  Or did they just get in the way of chopping trees?  Same with coconuts dropping on your head.  It was a meme, not a threat.

I mean that all depends on how skilled you are at the game, and/or if it catches you off guard, I’m currently playing the new Lego Fortnite survival mode and it’s proving to be really challenging, hostile mobs spawn from the ground, they don’t care if you have a base or not they’ll destroy it forcing you to rebuild, people used to joke about DST and Fortnite having a Crossover, but now… I’m starting to wish Klei Would so I can get the Survival experience I could only WISH the actual DS game would give me, while at least still getting to enjoy the cast of characters and mobs DS/DST are known for.

Ive personally been having a blast playing this.. and hopefully I can get my friends into it- With up to 16 players in one world.

A DST Crossover just seems like a Nobrainer at this point.

(Hilariously Wilson’s torch toss ability is already in here too ;))

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I mean that all depends on how skilled you are at the game, and/or if it catches you off guard, I’m currently playing the new Lego Fortnite survival mode and it’s proving to be really challenging, hostile mobs spawn from the ground, they don’t care if you have a base or not they’ll destroy it forcing you to rebuild, people used to joke about DST and Fortnite having a Crossover, but now… I’m starting to wish Klei Would so I can get the Survival experience I could only WISH the actual DS game would give me, while at least still getting to enjoy the cast of characters and mobs DS/DST are known for.

Ive personally been having a blast playing this.. and hopefully I can get my friends into it- With up to 16 players in one world.

Well, when you're good at the game and have no difficulty with these spawning, unlocked top end gear and still have to deal with things such as this, come back and let me know how you feel.

I am not familiar with this game - but I would presume ways to circumvent any nuisances like this will be uncovered and abused.  Such is the way.

42 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Man, you really are willing to die on this hill.

It's alright that you like Fortnite, and it's totally okay you want a crossover. But to voice my thoughts: I vehemently dislike this thought, I think it's a really gimmicky and boring idea for a crossover. 

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I will immediately delete dst, delete the klei account, and blacklist everything dst related if this ever happens.

4 hours ago, Shosuko said:

DST is a very easy game to make mods for

sadly Mike is a console player through and through, no mods for em

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

DST Crossover just seems like a Nobrainer

no

delete that thought, delete that possiblity, delete this timeline

53 minutes ago, Spino43 said:

I will immediately delete dst, delete the klei account, and blacklist everything dst related if this ever happens.

Why though? unless you play the game that DST content is added into- Then it’s not going to effect you.

And if you delete DST just because it maybe adds DS themed content into another game you don’t care to play.. well then I don’t really know what to tell you.

Nah, new player under 100hours can’t even switch walking cane with weapon in combat, so I don’t even think they can make ember fast.
Ppl often ignore that most of the new players can’t use their abilities well.

I have a friend with 40 hours don’t even know how to use woodie’s transform well. He need to spend many time farming his monster meat, and those transform will drain his sanity and hunger, causing he need to farm more food to manage his stats. New players need to adapt their abilities much harder than u think. 

About new Willow, you want ember? Switch your weapon to lighter, after one hit back to weapon. If you are fighting multiple targets you even need to switch to wooden armor because they don’t know how to make helmet. 
Forget to switch armor while using combust while killing more than 8 spider is usually a death to them. 

You think switching weapon is easy?

I will suggest you to ask some new players that are still having fun with survival aspect to play Willow.  I don’t think they can make embers fast in the first few days.

Btw, lunar fire are for players that killed CC, I don’t think they even have problems surviving(unless they cheat).

And I like the direction klei is working on even I’ve already played 2000hours, so try not to act like most players in the communities don’t like the change.

They don’t need to stop, they need to add more content.

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Why though? unless you play the game that DST content is added into- Then it’s not going to effect you.

And if you delete DST just because it maybe adds DS themed content into another game you don’t care to play.. well then I don’t really know what to tell you.

Because I hate everything fornite related, and dst will work fine without touching that filth.

And why are you claiming fornite took dst's survival contents? Any proofs they did it or you just saw that they looker similar and say: "Oh yes they must have taken this from dst so we must have a crossover."?

Archived