The ice turf of the new ice island should be slippery

The first thing I thought when I saw the new boss was that the ice island should be slippery, but it isn't, it is like walking in grass or any other turf of the game. I think it will make the boss battle more interesting. Even making the shark drop the blueprint of the ice turf could be awesome for like win some time when you ran from hounds making them slip, to make a fast road to other place, or even to make your own skating rink.

Btw, I don't mean to say that you should walk like slippering in a banana peel and falling, but to at least make your reactions slow like other games does with the ice floor.

O1yQ.gif.3509979b764b29c33fa0a0df2f4c941e.gif

Gif from giffer

Spoiler

And if you disagree...

6874741.GIF.ac6b739b5cf0779578dc6ca5d5a6fd03.GIF

That’s a very interesting concept!

I too have thought about it a bit (I eventually forgot) I think it would make for a very interesting boss fight!
It would be awesome if the boss also dropped a blueprint for it, I could totally see people having fun with the new turf and finally being able to have a place that actually fits the Ice Crystaleyezer’s functions.

There also could be slippery and non-slippery versions of it, just like ruins turf has functional and purely decorative versions.

36 minutes ago, goblinball said:

Slippery turf would not be fun, especially for a boss fight

nobody likes slippery, imprecise controls 

I think having to carefully walk so you don’t uncontrollably slide off a ledge is EXACTLY the kind of new type of gameplay mechanics DST needs… and it’s not even like it’s a new concept or anything..

Land on the Frozen lake in Fortnite, watch as you hilariously glide across the ground.

I recently beat a game not to long ago called Erudian Chronicles Rising, and it was cool to have Ice and Fire Biomes with appropriately themed mobs for the climate. 

You slide across the ground on Ice (sometimes right into the enemy you were trying to fight) it would be something new for DST for sure..

But for myself and others, it would be a welcome change of pace from the same mostly tiresome gameplay formula.

Plus well I mean… it’s a large sheet of ice that breaks as the fight goes on.. 

3 hours ago, Masked Koopa said:

Perhaps we could have polished moonglass turf or something so slippery turf could also be put on the mainland.

whatever but we really need a moon glass sink

imagine making roads of that turf and "auto walking" to the destination. Could be gorgeous and useful

37 minutes ago, Antynomity said:

Then don't engage with the gameplay if you suck at it, simple as. This game can never truly evolve, reminds me of a certain blocky 3d game.

There are better ways to make this game "evolve" than add obtusely thought out ways to make a fight harder. Adding imprecise controls in a game where combat is primarily about movement and getting out of the way when an enemy is about to attack just seems poorly thought out..

If this is implemented, Frostjaw probably would either devolve into a tank and spank fight or a Lazy Explorer check if the ice impairs your movement enough. It's like how Ancient Fuelweaver's bone cage kinda just throws player agency out of the window in the same way... either you teleport out or get hit. Sure, the popular strategy when fighting him is to take the hits due to the rather small window to deal damage to him before he shields up and summons healing creatures.. but bosses that demand that are boring. There isn't a lot of skill involved in bringing 40 pierogis.

Maybe different times of year make the fight behave differently, it does change the size of the island, perhaps if it rains in spring that provides the slippery surface, and perhaps rewards are slightly different as a result, or simply you can just decide when you fight it to what you enjoy. 

It also could provide an interesting counterbalance to electric damage if you are a bit more slippery.

I would definitely be concerned about feeling too out of control. It would have to be done very carefully.

58 minutes ago, Trips said:

There are better ways to make this game "evolve" than add obtusely thought out ways to make a fight harder. Adding imprecise controls in a game where combat is primarily about movement and getting out of the way when an enemy is about to attack just seems poorly thought out..

If this is implemented, Frostjaw probably would either devolve into a tank and spank fight or a Lazy Explorer check if the ice impairs your movement enough. It's like how Ancient Fuelweaver's bone cage kinda just throws player agency out of the window in the same way... either you teleport out or get hit. Sure, the popular strategy when fighting him is to take the hits due to the rather small window to deal damage to him before he shields up and summons healing creatures.. but bosses that demand that are boring. There isn't a lot of skill involved in bringing 40 pierogis.

Id much rather a gear check over the rift bosses that rely on the fact you can stun them for a few seconds, oh wait those are ALSO gear checks because in order to do that you need a planar weapon :D

19 hours ago, goblinball said:

Slippery turf would not be fun, especially for a boss fight

nobody likes slippery, imprecise controls 

Only for this one fight maybe? I think it could be a fun idea for this one. I just don't like that in some games when you switch direction the slipping makes you deccelerate and that would be lethal in this game cause speed is key.

11 hours ago, Evelo said:

Ice isn't naturally slippery. It is only that because typically there is a thin layer of unfrozen water on the surface. Depending on how cold it is, it not being slippery is more realistic.

considering the temperature of the world is above 0° and is in the middle of the ocean, which causes waves and water in the aire moved by wind fall on it, i see more realistic to be slippery

Archived