"Host of Horrors" Content Update Available Now!

Thanks for the update, especially the furnitures, it's so far the best update from the year. <3

I have few suggestions relative to the furnitures and decorations. I hope it's not too late for that, I hope they can be added in the future updates.

- The wooden chairs and relic chairs should have the same orientation.

- It would look better and be more coherent if the vase was made with cut stone or marble instead of wood.

- It would be also great if ferns, succulent, and potentially cactus, lichen, and mushrooms could also be planted in the vase and end table.

- The potted fern and succulent should be removed, and their skin transferred to the vase, since they become now useless and redundant.

- A big version of the table lamp could be added, like the lamps from Hamlet.

- It would be great to be able to add the few statues which can't be crafted yet in the potter wheel (pillar, vase, harp).

- It would be great to be able to make statues from moonstone, dreadstone, and thulecite.

- In the same way, it would be also great to make pillars from marble, moonstone, thulecite.

- It would be great to add marble walls, it is so far the only stone type which hasn't wall. It could have 500 health, like the limestone walls from Shipwrecked.

- It would be a good occasion to add the rugs and the interior turfs from Hamlet.

Edited by Hypsellis
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think you heavily misjudge what I actually consider to be a challenge.. 

Having Brightshades infest the resources I would otherwise normally regularly collect who upon killing also yields powerful gear & weapons I can craft from the very resources they drop upon killing them = Challenge.

Having to rebuild decorative builds and set piece and rehunt decorative mobs = Highly Annoying

fixed

you are the one who misjudge what is a challenge

1 hour ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Anyway the point is this requires killing boss monsters of any kind, ever, for a decoration. It should be an alchemy engine recipe. Done.

If this is in reference to the Saw Horse/Chair BP, you merely have to kill the Resting Horror which spawns in the Ruins as early as day one!
There are no story or boss requirements to obtain the BP, the only stopping points are getting to the Resting Horror, and placing a chair on Pearl's island.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

...I...don't think anybody else can actually say what a whole other person considers a challenge, inside their own brain..

there are objetive challenges and there are people which, with their subjective skills and handicaps would have a different experience

going into the ruins for few seconds and come back isnt s challenge and less for players that have been playing years... is their problem to dont improve. The game cant be stuck on 1st autumn so even a baby can experience the whole content of the game

10 hours ago, -Variant said:

If this is in reference to the Saw Horse/Chair BP, you merely have to kill the Resting Horror which spawns in the Ruins as early as day one!
There are no story or boss requirements to obtain the BP, the only stopping points are getting to the Resting Horror, and placing a chair on Pearl's island.

It is uselessly complicated and punishing to have to go in ruins, put certain items in a certain order in a relic chest, for acquiring the relic chair blueprint, and then place a relic chair on pearl island, for acquiring from pearl the sawhorse blueprint, for being able to craft the wooden furnitures. The sawhorse should just be craftable in the alchemy engine like everything else. 

Edited by Hypsellis
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, -Variant said:

Its just unessisarly annoying and hidden. 

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Hypsellis said:

put certain items in a certain order in a relic chest, for acquiring the relic chair blueprint

This step is not necessary, you only must kill the Resting Horror for the blueprint! Which will spawn on any ol' chair in the ruins.

Edited by Hornete
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hornete said:

This step is not necessary, you only must kill the Resting Horror for the blueprint! Which will spawn on any ol' chair in the ruins.

It doesn't change much, it is still uselessly highly complicated for no reasons.

• Like 3

Could I suggest a mechanic to add to the animal carcasses in Warg hunts? Basically, if you manage to kill the Warg and Hounds before they finish devouring the carcass, maybe you could hammer it for a few meat shanks, depending on how much carcass there's left.

If the carcass has been picked clean to the bone, you could hammer it for bone shards, which would also serve as a way of making bone shards renewable, outside of killing yourself for skeletons, or relying on Wilson's transmutation skills.

For stages in-between a pristine carcass and a skeleton, you could maybe make meat less likely to drop, but bone shards more likely.

billede_2023-10-22_182515615.png

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Hornete said:

You should actually see my “ruins” the game decided to spawn for me, tiny little choked off areas full of damaged Clockwork Knights, Rooks, Bishops, and of Course Dangling Depth Dwellers- But that’s not all.. there’s also a bunch of obsidian pillars down there that raise and lower based on how sane/insane you are/

So that above mentioned rook? Yeah he can charge my poor wormwood down while i can’t get past the sanity pillars fast enough.

my point?

Manniquins which actually hold and store your weapons, armor and head gear & can be strategically placed around a boss arena to give you an actual advantage in gameplay aren’t locked to needing to do all the above mentioned totally not noob friendly tasks.

But just getting some purely decorative furniture so you can sit in a chair (that doesn’t raise sanity or health or give any kind of gameplay advantage whatsoever..) is??? Uhm… Why?

I’m not a noob at the game or anything, but I also don’t think if Klei wants to actually sale a lot of these furniture skin packs it should require people to traverse a literal death maze.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hornete said:

Uhm. Are you talking about the Atrium?.... 

honestly I have no idea.. I just went to a spot on my map that has a ? That lead me to a huge swamp tentacle I’ve killed them before so I killed this one & jumped in & so far I’ve found Zero Chairs but a maze of pillars that need low/high sanity to pass.

in hindsight.. I don’t think the “?” Mark bubbles are going to help new players in this particular situation.

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

honestly I have no idea.. I just went to a spot on my map that has a ? That lead me to a huge swamp tentacle I’ve killed them before so I killed this one & jumped in & so far I’ve found Zero Chairs but a maze of pillars that need low/high sanity to pass.

That is the atrium, not the main ruins with relic chairs

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

Then it is the Atrium.

• Potato Cup 1

41 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

in hindsight.. I don’t think the “?” Mark bubbles are going to help new players in this particular situation.

I don't even like the scrapbook much, but it seems it served it's purpose well here in helping you locate the Atrium! Haha, won't spoil too much but it'll be an interesting area for you to uncover.

When I mention the "ruins", I mean the area commonly found past muddy biomes full of lichen, you'll find plenty of relics and the Resting Horror will appear on the first one you find most of the time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hypsellis said:

It is uselessly complicated and punishing to have to go in ruins

4 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Its just unessisarly annoying and hidden. 

Don't shoot the messenger girl! Yeah, I agree it's a bit... comically absurd, ahah, I'm just trying not to have people thinking bosses are required to rest for feetsies.

• Like 6

I'm not even gonna actually read the other posts that have been put since my silly "ultimatum" short post yesterday...I'm just here to try and sum up how the situation feels, to a usually-alone-playing, bad-at-combat player, who just wants to be able to MAKE A DAMN CHAIR so their base can look a bit more like a (roofless?) house:

It's like if you had to work out every day and be in good shape in general, take martial-arts classes, then fight your way down the street at night, just to get to IKEA!

Seriously, I mean, it's _funny_, I appreciate the absurd humor of it, but I don't think the "Indiana Jones" theme song should have a reason to kick in when you're just trying to build a table. I'm just imaginging somebody like, walking into the store, hooking their whip around a light fixture, and then DRAMATICALLY SWINGING OVER A MOAT that's there for no reason (I guess this would kinda go with the "cross the ocean to go meet Pearl" part, since it involves water), to grab the table instructions with their teeth (no reason) at the very end of their swing, then trying to hold it safe above the jaws of the snapping alligators that also suddenly appeared, before they can land, unhook their whip and go home to...build a table. XD

Spoiler

I also had a dream once where I had to dramatically swing over an acid river to grab a certain library book--in the middle of an otherwise totally normal library. People were literally walking past in the non-acid-river sections and looking at me funny. This reminds me of that. There was a LOT of other weirdness to this dream, but that's the relevant bit.

TL;DR: The desire to build cute furniture in a base for pure decoration, is usually something a more Stardew Valley type player (or as I sometimes like to refer to Don't Starve: "H.P. Lovecraft's 'Harvest Moon'") would do, notsomuch the Dark Souls type players. There is some crossover--combat-oriented players who are good at "scary stuff" can appreciate a nice loveseat, too, of course!--but the players this update seems to be more FOR, usually aren't them. (shrug)

...Notorious

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I plan to buy the furniture skins rather they’re made easier to craft or not, however with Hallowed Nights starting soon & my money being tight, I wanted to wait and see what skins/belongings come with that event first before buying furnitures.

I can not be the only one who uses Halloween/Christmas skins all year round can I?!

On 10/19/2023 at 1:36 PM, V2C said:

As we head toward Hallowed Nights next week

This can we get a shadow experiment and and for the lunar experiment it would be cool if you could apply it to shadows and they would turn into there Gestalt equivalent 

Edited by Dr.Webber

I don't have any issues with getting the saw horse blueprint myself with its current implementation but I do understand people who are frustrated about the lengths you need to go to get these decorations. It's very obscure for a newer player, if you don't know ruins or pearl exist (or where to find them) you won't ever figure this out on your own. At least pearl is discovered through messages in a bottle, but nothing really indicates that there's a large dangerous high level area in the caves. The cave system is so big that as a beginner you'd likely map out most of it before finding the ruins, because you will be exploring around sinkhole entrances first things first. And for a mere decoration it's sure frustrating. 

I think that from developer's point of view base decor is an endgame task (new players should be focused more on survival and learning seasonal threats). It also kinda fits some of already existing decorations being harder to obtain. Who would have guessed/figured out on their own that hammering an indestructible table exactly 86 times yields a blueprint for its copy? Who in their right mind could come up with combinations of items to fit in the metheus chest to get replica blueprints? It's not even items a survivor would casually put in this chest neither all of them are obtainable underground. 

So yeah, I suppose we must suffer and go through obscure tasks to furnish our homes in the Constant, because if you are decorating your home it means you already learned how to not starve or die to the darkness, and can start exploring the rest of the world to see what it can offer. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Lovens said:

I don't have any issues with getting the saw horse blueprint myself with its current implementation but I do understand people who are frustrated about the lengths you need to go to get these decorations. It's very obscure for a newer player, if you don't know ruins or pearl exist (or where to find them) you won't ever figure this out on your own. At least pearl is discovered through messages in a bottle, but nothing really indicates that there's a large dangerous high level area in the caves. The cave system is so big that as a beginner you'd likely map out most of it before finding the ruins, because you will be exploring around sinkhole entrances first things first. And for a mere decoration it's sure frustrating. 

I think that from developer's point of view base decor is an endgame task (new players should be focused more on survival and learning seasonal threats). It also kinda fits some of already existing decorations being harder to obtain. Who would have guessed/figured out on their own that hammering an indestructible table exactly 86 times yields a blueprint for its copy? Who in their right mind could come up with combinations of items to fit in the metheus chest to get replica blueprints? It's not even items a survivor would casually put in this chest neither all of them are obtainable underground. 

So yeah, I suppose we must suffer and go through obscure tasks to furnish our homes in the Constant, because if you are decorating your home it means you already learned how to not starve or die to the darkness, and can start exploring the rest of the world to see what it can offer. 

For DST.. maybe, but for Hamlet- Where pretty base furniture was kinda the entire selling point of the DLC.. no?
476E7DED-26C5-4100-8F97-3518499D0B06.thumb.png.664f7b809856cb7f615f5070f37affb9.png

I built this house by day 11 then proceeded to die by like day 25.

The DIFFERENCE Between Hamlet & DST is that when I died this house and my game save was deleted forever & I had to start over- In DST.. Dying isn’t anywhere near that punishing, and if set to “endless or wilderness” mode allows for infinity respawning.

So it makes more sense for Hamlet like furniture to be accessible as early as possible in DST rather than mid-late game task unlocks.

Sure I suppose a skilled player can go fetch the relic chair BP AND find pearls hermit home by day 11.. but it’s not anywhere near as easily accessible as Hamlet furnitures.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

For DST.. maybe, but for Hamlet- Where pretty base furniture was kinda the entire selling point of the DLC.. no?
476E7DED-26C5-4100-8F97-3518499D0B06.thumb.png.664f7b809856cb7f615f5070f37affb9.png

I built this house by day 11 then proceeded to die by like day 25.

The DIFFERENCE Between Hamlet & DST is that when I died this house and my game save was deleted forever & I had to start over- In DST.. Dying isn’t anywhere near that punishing, and if set to “endless or wilderness” mode allows for infinity respawning.

So it makes more sense for Hamlet like furniture to be accessible as early as possible in DST rather than mid-late game task unlocks.

Sure I suppose a skilled player can go fetch the relic chair BP AND find pearls hermit home by day 11.. but it’s not anywhere near as easily accessible as Hamlet furnitures.

I haven't played Hamlet but if one of the objectives of the game is to build and furnish a house then it makes sense it's more accessible. This is a DST discussion though. I see why people might not like that DST furniture is obscure and requires more steps to obtain, I don't think obtaining the sawhorse via blueprint should be changed though. It's not game-breaking, all sawhorse crafts are not essential for survival anyway. If sawhorse was available from alchemy engine I imagine a lot of newer players could get easily distracted with non-essential decorations and wasting materials on making furniture that doesn't make survival easier, and then find out that they have no materials left for important crafts and structures. The chair could be more accessible though just for the players who play without caves. I saw a suggestion somewhere here on the forums that it'd be cool if there was a chair replica near the Stage setpiece. It fits thematically and could maybe have a sitting horror there as well (maybe on new moons or something like that, so it won't be too easy to get). 

• Like 1