Buff Houndius Shootius?

Ever since planar mech is introduced, HS becomes more and more useless (it kinda was before tbh, way too underwhelming). You have to fight two bosses just to obtain one and you can't even retrieve it should you put it at a place you don't want or it dies. So perhaps a buff for this guy now would be awesome. 

Houndius Shootius helps if you place one near your plants. They can't kill Brightshades, but they can draw aggro from one or two of the vines and they can take plenty of swipes without dying. Making it much easier to take them on 1v1.  I personally place 2 of them near all of my gardens and brightshades take far less time to deal with.

Houndius Shootius helps me with manually farming spiders. I'm sure people have a big-brain setup by now to kill them en-masse, but really I only need to place one, piss off the horde, they lose aggro with me and my houndius draws their aggro. I can walk up to each of them and just hold F and kill them before they realize I'm the bigger threat.  I personally place 2 of them near a spider den that I frequent for my spider drops.

Houndius Shootius works decently for hound waves, they can easily start replacing tooth traps if you use 2 or 3 of them for this. With the new end-game dart weapon using hounds teeth as ammo, this is even more important than it has ever been.

The Shootius has it's weaknesses and limitations, especially if you literally only plant a single one down and expect it to solve all of your problems. It's a long-term item that can be stacked endlessly to vastly increase it's(their) performance.  It is self-sustaining, able to heal itself without any player aid, a respectable HP base, and does decent damage at range.

I don't think it needs a buff, I certainly wouldn't whine about it if they did buff it and I would like a post-game equivalent of an auto-turret but Houndius itself is quite fine.

Houndius shootius does need some kind of a buff, maybe not to damage but we should be able to pick it up and place it somewhere else.

Recipe can be changed, why do we need to kill FW 20 times to be able to get 20 horns from AG and craft 20 Houndius? Just remove the horn requirement and it would be so much better. 

1 hour ago, cropo said:

Houndius Shootius helps if you place one near your plants. They can't kill Brightshades, but they can draw aggro from one or two of the vines and they can take plenty of swipes without dying. Making it much easier to take them on 1v1.  I personally place 2 of them near all of my gardens and brightshades take far less time to deal with.

Probably the only situation out of the three you named that I would use it in if I farmed and didn't decide to set up brightshade safe areas.

1 hour ago, cropo said:

Houndius Shootius helps me with manually farming spiders.

Rabbit hutches are much better, I always build 9+ in my base so that I can farm their puffs and spiders depending on what I need, spiders are completely passive farm and you just need to collect the loot and place spider den after they kill queen to repeat.

1 hour ago, cropo said:

Houndius Shootius works decently for hound waves, they can easily start replacing tooth traps if you use 2 or 3 of them for this. With the new end-game dart weapon using hounds teeth as ammo, this is even more important than it has ever been.

There are so many things you can use houndius shootius on that this seems like a waste and it is stationary when hound attacks can happen at anytime and anywhere.

1 hour ago, cropo said:

The Shootius has it's weaknesses and limitations, especially if you literally only plant a single one down and expect it to solve all of your problems. It's a long-term item that can be stacked endlessly to vastly increase it's(their) performance.  It is self-sustaining, able to heal itself without any player aid, a respectable HP base, and does decent damage at range.

That is true but we already have catapults that you can have hundreds of at any moment you decide to farm materials for them while it  will take you years to amass houndius shootius for big builds.

The time I start really profiting from using them is at over day 1000.

4 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

Recipe can be changed, why do we need to kill FW 20 times to be able to get 20 horns from AG and craft 20 Houndius? Just remove the horn requirement and it would be so much better. 

wickerbottom's quote is "the magic of the two beasts has been concentrated by the thulecite"

i think houndius is fine, if its buffed it would overshadow one of winona's only 2 redeeming perks

it could use planar damage ig but so could a lot of other mobs

8 minutes ago, lenship2 said:

wickerbottom's quote is "the magic of the two beasts has been concentrated by the thulecite"

i think houndius is fine, if its buffed it would overshadow one of winona's only 2 redeeming perks

it could use planar damage ig but so could a lot of other mobs

It really wouldn't overshadow catapults, even if you only needed to kill deerclops and gather 5 thulecite to craft it, that would still require of you to farm deerclops when you can make many more catapults much faster.

Worth thinking about is that thulecite in caves is quite limited without resetting ruins.

Another benefit that catapult has is that it deals AoE and for a lot of setups they are preferable or it wouldn't work with Houndius Shootious.

Why has absolutely no one suggested the most obvious use for an object capable of firing projectiles into the air???

Let it fire into the air above it, blasting Lunar Hail out of the way.

Have none of you ever played this game?

IMG_5934.thumb.jpeg.d0764fbbb6f5986c6ebd4f91a4ff9646.jpeg

I would probably make the new Host of Horrors mobs drop a upgrade part to the Houndious Shootious, and just like applying resources to pearls Hermit home, the player could apply the HoH bosses drops to the HS to gradually upgrade its uses & effectiveness.

But to make sure it’s NOT something you can craft once then permanently ignore forever, maybe it would be like Winona’s Gemerators where a visible battery power can be seen before it needs refueling?

Also speaking of Winona.. maybe her Catapults could also be pelted at incoming Lunar Debris.

Idk.. it’s just a thought.

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Let it fire into the air above it, blasting Lunar Hail out of the way.

Sounds like Meteor Blaster from Oxygen Not Included, quite interesting, but I doubt it would work with DST's camera angle. If they could make the animation good then it'd be a great addition.

However t's better not to make a part of the houndius shootius, because of how long it takes to make one(20 days by default)

7 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

That is true but we already have catapults that you can have hundreds of at any moment you decide to farm materials for them

This. Winona is such an issue cuz 1, all she has worthy is catapults but theyre just so good compared to HS, and 2 she is so easily used as purely a swap character, even moreso than Warly sadly

10 hours ago, ADM said:

I practically don't use them anymore as their placement annoy me too much to care, if they were relocatable that would be a big deal of a QoL. :(

We just got that! Let's goooooo
I would still really like a small buff to them as well though.

Perhaps upgrading one with 10 Pure Brilliance or 10 Pure Horror changes their damage to Planar and either allows their projectile to bounce a single time (Brilliance) or do some small AOE damage (Horror). Upgrading them would mechanically work like Pearl's house, Incomplete Experiement, Portal etc. 

Archived