[Game Update] - Public Testing 565965

the critter fountain holds 80kg and a stable normally holds 8 critters, i think the intent behind fountains is to make no grooming stables so 10kg/critter makes the most sense to me.  i just hope they add an automatic way to produce brackene without a dupe.  even if it's less efficient, people would do it for fully automated systems.  otherwise, there will be a mod for it

for the foods, i hope we get butter from the brackene/milk.  then buttered toast, maybe with bog jelly or the swampy delights.  bog buckets get so little love, maybe bog jelly should be able to be turned into brackene. bog jelly is close to brackene being sodium rich, right?

i also feel there should be more options for the water cooler, it's cool we get another de-stresser with brackene.  maybe have a brackene mixer or add options to the juicer, but no brackene in the soda fountain lol

The only things that have required new games have been features that are part of world creation (story traits, meteor settings). Even with those, there have been mods or debug mode fixes to add them to old saves.

This update doesn't seem to affect world generation, so should work without hassles on old saves.

16 hours ago, Magheat2009 said:

I don't understand why having mini-pumps that can sustain temperatures up-to 900C without overheating will be particularly overpowered? Mini-pumps can only pump out 1/10th the amount as normal pumps.

Yeah, though it's not because of low capacity, for many purposes 1 kg/s of liquid pumping is completely adequate.

If Plastium were available earlier or independently of Thermium, what would be consequences be?

The "killer app" for Thermium is Aquatuners, specifically for boiling crude oil or petroleum. For any other purpose there are basically workarounds, but you need Thermium if you want "closed cycle" sour gas boilers and the like. Plastium can't be used to make Aquatuners, so it doesn't compete for the killer app.

What are other uses for Thermium? It can be useful for conveyor equipment in hot areas, especially if you're lazy about cooling the equipment, it's a convenience in space where there are hot meteors, Thermium can allow certain meteors to cool the conveyor stuff rather than overheat it. Plastium can't be used for conveyor equipment, so no competing there either.

It's also useful in some very specific contexts, the main one which comes to mind is a "hot" Research Reactor build, like I'm fond of Research Reactors which only have 4 or 5 Steam Turbines, could be described as "compact reactors", the lack of adequate cooling means the nuclear waste gets pretty hot, over 300 C, it's fairly hard (though not impossible) to avoid having the pump immersed in the nuclear waste and hot steam, Thermium is a massive convenience, and finally we have something where Plastium is in direct competition: a Research Reactor only puts out about 1.67 kg/s of Nuclear Waste, so 2 Mini Liquid Pumps are perfectly adequate, if Plastium were available before Thermium, this would allow making simple compact reactors earlier. Considering the general high complexity and tech requirements of reactor builds Plastium isn't doing much to trivialize things though.

What else? To be honest there are very very instances where you want to pump stuff between 250 C and 975 C, other than Nuclear Waste, or even if you want to, like a petroleum boiler, it's probably a bad design. Many of those instances were you do want to pump something hotter than 250 C such as priming a Metal Refinery coolant loop with molten aluminum or steel, can be handled with a "burner pump" making overheat pretty much irrelevant. There will be some instances where the space savings from Plastium Mini Liquid Pumps make them more desirable than Steel, even more so if the goal is 1 kg/s to avoid breaking pipes, requiring 6 tiles for a Pump+Valve, but only 2 tiles for a Mini Pump, these are very specialized builds though and space savings are usually merely a convenience in such builds.

In conclusion I think that Plastium is such a non game changer that it doesn't hurt to have it available earlier, as simple Brackwax+Plastic, and if it does have a killer app, it is most definitely Research Reactors, and those are a big fat pain in the ass and making Reactor builds a little more forgiving and a little more accessible is not going to do any harm to the difficulty curve.

Edited by blakemw
  • Like 1

you can make comfy beds and wind tunnels in steam rooms?

yeah, plastium is lackluster imo too.  imo it's only purpose is transit tubes through hot areas where plastic would melt

on the other hand, what's brackwax for?  just plastium?  i'd like to see it used as a sucrose alternative, a hatch food, or an interesting building material.  maybe add a liquid and gas state to the brackwax with a large temperature range or different shc for shenanigans.  maybe tie the wax to the bees somehow

On 7/25/2023 at 1:57 AM, JRup said:

I too appreciate having any kind of plan B for resource production. But I must defend squeaky pufts, even a single wild one does produce more than enough for a hot tub and some hand sanitizers - long live the green chicken...

A small beef I have with hot tubs is their continuous heat production, even when not in operation...

Now that the milk has been spilled, when do the dupes get ice cream...? Maybe find a use for all that snow besides melting it...

Agree. The purpose of making moos produce milk now seems to be to tell you that it is milk, rather than letting you raise moos.
We can also have cheese, which can be like salt and not consumed directly. Colleagues who make cheese can get whey, which can be used to make protein powder. Then, add a gym where you can use protein powder, just like enjoying the sun on a chair (lol)

5 hours ago, blakemw said:

In conclusion I think that Plastium is such a non game changer that it doesn't hurt to have it available earlier

A building that needs plastic to be built and would make a big difference if it run hotter, is steam turbine. What if plastium raised steam turbine's operating temperature (and steam turbine actually shows what that temperature is instead of the player learning that accidentally) or lowered steam turbine's heat production?

2 hours ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

Clearly the stuff introduced in this update is mostly focussed on the late game. Which I think is fine. We already have so much early game content.

That is what does not make sense to me. If Brackene is late game, why add the plant pulverizer?

I think devs have mixed up two updates which has made finding the right balance hard:-

1. Part A: Changes to critter happiness. Brackene introduced as a way to counter those changes.

2. Part B: Song of The Moo: Moos becoming milk-able and becoming useful in late game. 

Issue is, Brackene is the common element between those two parts. So, either Moos become almost useless, or Brackene cannot be used to counter critter happiness changes for most of the game. Hence, plant pulverizer to give early access to Brackene.

The issue I have with plant pulverizer is, people will simply plant more of the crop they are using- sleat wheat, nosh beans or pinch peppernut. Could Brackene actually be a way for devs to encourage late game plants instead of relying on BBQ alone? 

An idea would be to have plant based milk and moo milk. Plant based milk will only be useful for critter fountain and water cooler, but moo milk could be used for plastium, wax, water cooler and critter fountain. Basically plant based milk would be a worse variant of moo milk.

Edited by Magheat2009

3 hours ago, Magheat2009 said:

That is what does not make sense to me. If Brackene is late game, why add the plant pulverizer?

Plant overproduction is lategame stuff, for me at least. From my short playtest the Moos produce so much more brackene it's not really a competition. Unless, you're in lategame and produce so much crops you can throw em for pulverizing.

I tend to be wrong about things regarding this game though.

• Like 1

Yes, I think it is kind of like the difference between plastic ranching and plastic production. Plastic ranching is quite a bit earlier available, but gives less yield and is a bit more complex to set up. While plastic manufacturing is simpler, yields more but is later into the game and is more power intensive (both in terms of power usage and opportunity cost of the petroleum).

I think the same applies here for brackene.  The difference is the yield. They might have to finetune it in a later update. Which is fine; ONI is always an ongoing progress.

• Like 5

On 7/20/2023 at 10:43 PM, pether said:

Since we are improving food options, could you please revisit Curry Beans? This food looks really poor when compared with other options, and is terrible, just TERRIBLE to get... Some morale and quality boost to +6 would make it much better!

I would settle for the exact same bonuses as they have today, but make them less impossible to produce. Curried Beans is virtually impossible to make in any significant quantities unless you devote your *entire* cluster to them. Ie: See my suggestion on the topic of Curried Beans

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Toblin said:

virtually impossible to make in any significant quantities unless you devote your *entire* cluster to them.

I loved your for the "for the lulz" phrase in your post on Delecta Voles. It seems to be the design philosophy behind a lot of things added in the recent past, and also some for things that have gained much easier alternatives. I don't mind a few for the lulz projects, but it is not good design in general. People like me are not Brothgar. We do not play games to meme it out. In my opinion, it is more fun when there is an actual incentive in game to do something. People who can enjoy games for the lulz will of course disagree.

Dream Machine is a good exception. Incentives in this game are not easy to come by, but at least one does not feel like a fool while building it out. The buffs it gives are in tune with the effort required to build it. Especially now that the late game is much longer, it has started to make more and more sense to build these late game buff giving things.

3 minutes ago, kmidt81 said:

Works This Update with an existent Save Game or must i start a New one ?

There are no new story traits or anything that relies on map generation so there is no need for a new save. Once the testing period is over and the update is released, all the new goodies and mechanics will be available.

If you enable this now then you'll get the new stuff at once, and when you save your game you'll need to stick with this update on said save file; also take into account that you may or may not encounter new and undiscovered features bugs in the game. In such event, it is highly encouraged you report them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mainardes said:

Brackwax Gleaner could produce Salt Water instead of Brine, a better way to get salt water for lettuce when there is no salt water geyser in a base.

I don't mind the brine, just that there is no official way to re-hydrate salt/brine to get salt water. Or having waterweed be compatible with brine and including some boost/catch to it would be interesting...

• Like 1

I too appreciate having any kind of plan B for resource production. But I must defend squeaky pufts, even a single wild one does produce more than enough for a hot tub and some hand sanitizers - long live the green chicken...

STEPPERMOTOR.FR motors to meet the needs of different customers and different applications are now available Stepper motor driver , Brushless DC motor and more.