the lunar shovel needs more privilege

after checking the code of new lunar shovel, i found it only has a little extra functionality:

it has a base 17.2 damage that could be offset by a normal armor and a 10 damage planar damage that could not be offset by the normal armor.

Spoiler

1058197366_.png.5078a616d9e8ca55d4dbfbd734845c8d.png

and that is all privilege i found of this item.(if i have missed some more functionality, please let me know)

i think the shovel needs more, what's your opinion?

It's shovel. Maybe make it good weapon against brightshades or their roots or something.   

Or rebrand it as battle axe. Like double axe has blade in front and back while shovel has front back and top. First weapon that would attack in arc swinging for aoe as alternate attack cast the same way as wortox's teleport so you can still swing it with F for single targets like other weapons if you wish.  

18 minutes ago, Wonz said:

It's shovel. Maybe make it good weapon against brightshades or their roots or something.   

Still like hornets idea of making it dig undiggables which would make it one of my favorite items in the game 

What about?

When digging anything up, it automatically replants a new seedling. If it is pine trees, replant pine cones, birch trees, lune trees, etc.

Even if it's a Lumpy Evergreen.

It would replants flowers too in case it digs grass and saplings.

Imagine being able to make Celestial Fissures with the shovel. You could move Celestial Champion over to the main land. Why? Idk, cause you can?
But yea Hornets idea is good.
Still want my staff idea to be implemented but it's less popular, even I like it less now that I've used the staff against brightshades somewhat. Giving it infinite 17 range damage durability is kind of sketchy against certain mobs.

19 hours ago, Dextops said:

Still like hornets idea of making it dig undiggables which would make it one of my favorite items in the game 

I just read Hornet's thread. Frankly speaking, it's a very old and uninspired suggestion focused on the results, and many mod author had done the same thing before.

I will be a strong opponent of that suggestion.

18 hours ago, Emilier said:

What about?

When digging anything up, it automatically replants a new seedling. If it is pine trees, replant pine cones, birch trees, lune trees, etc.

Even if it's a Lumpy Evergreen.

It would replants flowers too in case it digs grass and saplings.

I didn't have much idea for the functionality of this shovel before, but my community had come up with some functional ideas related to gardening, which is more relevant to the theme of this content update. Making it into a weapon would be a bit strange. Here are some opinions I've summarized:

1. Like Hornet's idea, digging up "undiggables" in an old and uninspired way.
  2. Giving the shovel the ability to restore graves, providing a means to revive graves.
  3. Being able to dig up wormholes, which would allow for changing wormhole travel routes.
  4. Making crops dug up by the shovel not require additional fertilization when replanted, just like native crops.

But I have a different opinion. In my mind, the main focus of this content update is the parasitic of lunar energy on plants, and as we all know, Altar is the big boss behind it. So this shovel should have some universal traits of lunar energy: transform other creatures.

Here's my idea: Design this shovel to be similar to an pickaxe, I think it should be called "hoe/shovel", and it will have all the functions of both a hoe and a shovel have.

When using this tool for farming, the holes dug may be randomly filled with lunar energy, perhaps visually represented by a bright white edge. Crops planted in these lunar-filled holes will enter a new growth stage after reaching their maximum growth stage, which I would call the "transformation stage". When the crop completes this growth stage, it will undergo unpredictable changes internally, resulting in additional yields of other things, such as:

• Crops may undergo "partial parasitism," meaning they may grow brightshade husks on their roots or stems, which become extremely hard and cannot be harvested by hand, requiring the use of the new moon shovel to interact with them.
  • Giant crops may harbor magical creatures or items internally, resulting in additional harvests when cracked open. I believe this should include all small moonlight mutated creatures, such as two types of moon spiders, moon tree butterflies, fireflies, carrot mice, moonlight lobsters, etc., as well as minerals such as moon shards, moon rocks, infused moon shards, moongleams, and even gems maybe.

I believe that in the process of game development, designs that are created solely to achieve a specific function seem to lack imagination, scalability, and the diversity of sandbox games. Because you already know the ultimate goal it should achieve: to implement certain functionalities that players want. this lack of imagination in design is unacceptable for me, and I believe that interesting ideas that align with the overall theme of the game are truly commendable, so i vehemently disagree the idea of digging the "undiggable" .

Here, I simply stated my design ideas for this item, I believe that when designing this item, the focus should not be primarily on what functions it will ultimately possess, but rather on what characteristics it should have as a product of moon energy. Then i have a strong will of @V2C to view this content. If my ideas can be even slightly accepted, then I would consider this update to be very magical.

3 minutes ago, dish-order man said:

just read Hornet's thread. Frankly speaking, it's a very old and uninspired suggestion focused on the results, and many mod author had done the same thing before

I disagree. I think it’s a creative idea that is extremely useful for that point in the game and I would like to see it in the base game. Not every player has access to mods and it wouldn’t hurt to add.

I’m not in the beta, I’m on Xbox and can’t play in the betas, and by the time the updates release on my console Klei is done listening to the feedback to tweak it.

This is rather unfortunate- so I can only guess at what gets added in the update.

From what I’ve read the TL:DR is Moon Plants invade from Rift, and sort of “Disease” your Gardens.. right?

So what this new type of Shovel Should do is Simply remove their effects from infected plants?

I mean it just sounds logical, it’s a glowing shovel imbedded with magical power, it comes from the same mobs that infected the crops, so by that logic- Shouldn’t these types of shovels be the only thing that can Uproot/Cure them?

Maybe it would be too tedious, but I’d imagine that infected crops would share the same “Planar Defense” that the actual invaders do to prevent you from using normal tools to deal with them.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m not in the beta, I’m on Xbox and can’t play in the betas, and by the time the updates release on my console Klei is done listening to the feedback to tweak it.

This is rather unfortunate- so I can only guess at what gets added in the update.

From what I’ve read the TL:DR is Moon Plants invade from Rift, and sort of “Disease” your Gardens.. right?

So what this new type of Shovel Should do is Simply remove their effects from infected plants?

I mean it just sounds logical, it’s a glowing shovel imbedded with magical power, it comes from the same mobs that infected the crops, so by that logic- Shouldn’t these types of shovels be the only thing that can Uproot/Cure them?

Maybe it would be too tedious, but I’d imagine that infected crops would share the same “Planar Defense” that the actual invaders do to prevent you from using normal tools to deal with them.

I haven't been playing the beta either but I didn't recall there being a disease, just the spawning of Brightshades. I think one of us might be very confused. 

38 minutes ago, dish-order man said:

An idea proposed at least 5 years ago cannot be called ‘creative idea’ anywhere over the world if u have ever completed ur University Graduation Thesis

And that idea hasn’t been fulfilled and it makes no sense for it not to be implemented. Even if you think it isn’t creative it’s still a really good idea that would prove useful, especially at the time you unlock it at and I’d definitely craft it over what it is now.

3 hours ago, dish-order man said:

at least 5 years ago

at least 5 years ago was when exploring the ocean wasn't even possible without bugging yourself on it, and back then the phrase "uninspired suggestion" might've meant something when don't starve together was simply reign of giants with multiplayer, where there weren't that many things that would've been worth relocating

also "uninspired" doesn't matter if the suggestion itself isn't bad, considering we're talking about content that's locked behind the biggest progression chain in the game and by that point the game has become a semi-sandbox mode if you have yourself prepared for every monthly threat

Hornet idea:
- We can already transplant reeds.
- Lichen is used in a couple of recipes and I don't see the point of replanting it
- Lightbulbs in the late stage of the game do not make any sense because all experienced players use the skeleton for their farm, as well as berries.
- Cactus? And why?

7 minutes ago, GodIess said:

Hornet idea:
- We can already transplant reeds.
- Lichen is used in a couple of recipes and I don't see the point of replanting it
- Lightbulbs in the late stage of the game do not make any sense because all experienced players use the skeleton for their farm, as well as berries.
- Cactus? And why?

Does this disprove the idea, though?

Even if we factor out the décor potential, which a lot of people, myself included, love.
I still think it'd be a fair use. Maybe not even enough to boost the shovel to where it ought to be, post CC.

13 minutes ago, -Variant said:

Does this disprove the idea, though?

Even if we factor out the décor potential, which a lot of people, myself included, love.
I still think it'd be a fair use. Maybe not even enough to boost the shovel to where it ought to be, post CC.

If this feature is added to the game as a quality of life update for common shovels or gold shovels, I may also enjoy it very much.

But for a brand new item that can be crafted after defeating CC, this outdated design concept and the result-leading additional features would undoubtedly limit the scalability of the whole content.

I gotta say not seeing anyone discussing the low durability of the tool is a bit disappointing, maybe it could have more distinct functionality over the regular tools but for an endgame multi-tool it really shouldn't have identical durability to the two individual tools its supposed to improve upon. I mean the Smasher has 600 uses total over the 75 of the regular hammer or the 132 of the gold pickaxe.

On 5/20/2023 at 7:01 PM, Brago-sama said:

What would you call a shovel axe combo

Axevel

Shaxe

Aovel

ShovAxe

Axel

Big Axe Freakin Shovel.

(okay maybe my borderlands fan is showing.. :lol:)

Personally I’ve been using the Brightshade Hammer as a Weapon- it’s a Pickaxe, it’s a Hammer, And it deals a nifty 42 damage as a Weapon.

If the Shovel was to also have Axe properties I could Dig, Chop & Fight with it too! let it have just as many uses and do just as much damage as the BS Hammer. I would love it!! :) 

It might be cool if using the Brightshade Shoevel to dig up Lune Tree stumps caused an extra Moon Moth, Log, or Lune Blossom to pop out of the ground with the 2 Logs?

It might be cool if using the Brightshade Shoevel to dig up Lunar Mushtree stumps or Naked Molebat Burrows caused an extra Moon Shroom to pop out of the ground?

On 5/20/2023 at 7:29 PM, Baark0 said:

shouldve been a shovel/axe combination, at least then it has use for cutting down trees

It might be cool if this hypothetical Brightsahde Shovel/Axe combo also functions like a Moon Moth Magnet that automatically puts Moon Moths that spawn when cutting down Lune Trees into the players inventory, so they don't have to use a Bug Net. 

I guess it would be a Axe/Shovel/Bug Net ... a Brightshade Shaxel Moth Magnet?

Archived