Time for Hardmode?

Gonna add my 5 cents to the discussion.

I don't think that the hard mode should touch the HP and damage or neither bosses nor survivors. Or touch the raid bosses at all. Hard mode should be focused primarily on the dangers of the world that come after you. Lower default prep time for hound waves. Harsher winters. Poisoning. Strong winds.

The other aspect that should be addressed is the limitation of resources. Hamlet already toyed with this idea. Make gold boulders sparse, so players would have to really on Pig King more. Make tree guards and mush gnomes more dangerous and remove TNT from the world gen, so getting living logs would feel more rewarding. Make it so there is only small swamp on the mainland and you have to set out to the separate big marsh island with poisonous mosquitos to get more reeds. 

It shouldn't have more content. On the opposite, it should have more limitations. 

1 hour ago, MadMatt said:

If this idea were to be implemented then having more options for specific events and behaviors in worldgen strikes me as a much better solution, since people who want a harder game will put more effort into customizing their experience for enjoyment compared to people who picked it up 2 minutes ago, which is why easy mode was made.

Even if only limited to this a mode that you could add personal adjustments to makes more sense than build your own hard mode this was specifically why kiel made these new mode types rather than only just adding to world gen options. Also new main island content doesn't need to be gated specifically to the new mode just the harder content would be off by default I still can't see why this would be a issue it would allow for newer harder content on the main island instead of just the loot islands.

PC point is fair, but I disagree with the idea of making a hard mode to add content since it caters to a specific portion of the players who are virtually impossible to please,

This keeps being thrown around like a bible but where's the proof I understand if they tried to make content like that and people were unhappy but people are just making assumptions and acting like it's law.

I'm not opposed to more difficulty but it should be done more eloquently than shoving it into a gated off section.

This is what i want to avoid it's cool to have event like the lunar event gated but in but having all new content on loot islands is the worst future in my opinion.

I doubt they'll add hardmode unless they add a bunch of new mechanics and mobs into the game. It'll take years after they finish the projects they wanna do with DST and it's direction likely, so I really wanna ruin all of your hopes and dreams by saying that just don't dream too big on it.

Play Wes maybe, if ya want hardmode. He kinda fits the quota? Change up the world setting and weather, reduce resources and to make you play sparingly.
The game's customizations are there for everyone's needs. I've been changing it up a little and it does bring some bit more fun to mess with that. People may overlook it all but it do exists to make the world a bit different each time. Only lacking the archipelago generation setting tbh...

I mean I don't think DST really needs a hard mode at this point. That's a lot of effort for such a small amount of players that would use it, especially since no one can agree on what would make the game harder anyways. I like the idea of late-game optional mechanics, or world settings to challenge yourself to your liking.

Also, one other thing. Honestly it's not hard to just find another game if people don't like the direction this game is going; DST is not going to be a perfect fit for everybody at ALL stages of its growth. It's not fair to expect this game to be everything all at once, and it's especially not right to bash on the developers just because people didn't get what they want and can't take it with stride.

So please guys, chill on them. 

16 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

This keeps being thrown around like a bible but where's the proof I understand if they tried to make content like that and people were unhappy but people are just making assumptions and acting like it's law.

It's a sandbox so it'd be difficult to judge what even should be changed, such as should getting food be harder? Or fighting bosses? Or enemies? But also that no matter which direction is taken to make it more difficult there WILL be a solution and it will wrap back around to being "easy" because there will always be a solution that is repeatable and will become mundane. It's why I don't think a hard mode should exist because it will be wasted effort after a few months since it will be the new normal and would require constant upkeep to keep things interesting. Unless Don't Starve as a whole takes a turn into making everything more difficult and making a hard mode the new normal mode, it's wasted time and effort inevitably. People point to the other modes and world gen settings and how outdated they are, hard mode wouldn't be anything different. 

That said I do hope more unfriendly content is added, I just don't like what hard mode could become <:)

11 minutes ago, MadMatt said:

But also that no matter which direction is taken to make it more difficult there WILL be a solution and it will wrap back around to being "easy" because there will always be a solution that is repeatable and will become mundane.

I don't agree here yes people can become better at something with practice but a hard game will still be a hard game if it's designed to be so otherwise we could say there is no such thing as a hard game only inexperienced players which some might agree with but I personally disagree.

16 minutes ago, MadMatt said:

It's why I don't think a hard mode should exist because it will be wasted effort after a few months since it will be the new normal and would require constant upkeep to keep things interesting.

It wouldn't become the new normal unless the majority of the player base wanted it to in which case hands would be tied it needing constant upkeep though isn't necessarily true after all don't starve has added a lot of things to make the game easier these past years but it didn't come all at once did it? Sprinkling in tweaks every so many months doesn't seem like it would be impossible even if it's like every 3-6 months.

19 minutes ago, MadMatt said:

Unless Don't Starve as a whole takes a turn into making everything more difficult and making a hard mode the new normal mode, it's wasted time and effort inevitably. People point to the other modes and world gen settings and how outdated they are, hard mode wouldn't be anything different. 

Really just depends on how much attention it would get which realistically neither of us can know unless it's attempted. but maybe I'm just expecting too much I've been hoping that the bigger updates would shake up the core experience more rather than loot hubs, new toys, and raid bosses even if it isn't necessarily in a difficulty boost.  

36 minutes ago, Owlrust said:

it's especially not right to bash on the developers just because people didn't get what they want and can't take it with stride.

So please guys, chill on them. 

Maybe I've been missing this but has anyone been bashing the devs about this update? Just to be clear I've not read every single page I'm just asking.

I think hard mode is appreciated. Though they probably should slowly crank up the difficulty through updates, like Hollow Knight, for example. It started off rather easy, then they started adding harder and harder contents, which eventually led to the Godmaster DLC which cranks up the difficulty to 11. I think Klei should start experimenting with making the game gradually harder as time goes on.

I also don't hate the easy mode Klei added, it's a neat addition to newcomers. Though going for an extra step like showing more hints/tips while playing in easy mode will help even more.

3 hours ago, MadMatt said:

Why would hard mode have more content? Easy mode is just number tweaking so I don't see why hard mode should be any different. Isn't there also mods that add plenty of new "difficult" content that could be used? I get that people want to also play on pubs but if you're locking content behind a hard mode then why not just befriend people who also want to play something harder with more content and do a modded server with them.

If you want to get “Technical” Shipwrecked & Hamlet were “Hard Modes” for Solo DS- new mobs, new weather patterns, new ways the world is generated, basically anyone wanting a “hard mode” really just wants DLC.

Now in literally any game you’ve ever played with Paid DLC expansions- To Whom is that content designed for? New players who have yet to play the base game, or Experienced players wanting more content from their game?

An “Easy Mode” is possible because all it is is reducing damage you take or how fast you get hungry etc… it’s just some stat value changes..

Meanwhile a Hard Mode would be new mobs, new challenging weather patterns, new ways your world is generated etc- Basically the TL:DR- Shipwrecked & Hamlet.

13 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

If you want to get “Technical” Shipwrecked & Hamlet were “Hard Modes” for Solo DS- new mobs, new weather patterns, new ways the world is generated, basically anyone wanting a “hard mode” really just wants DLC.

they cannot be compared to hardmode, at all, they are just more content that once you master becomes easy again

43 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Technically DST is a hard mode of DS :P But also i'm pretty sure anyone can enjoy the shipwrecked and hamlet DLCs even if it's their first time playing. They are just basically Don't Starve but with a twist, you're just learning different things in a different environment. Which kind of begs the question if they can even be considered a technical hard mode in the first place.

Thinking about it more Don't Starve DOES have a hard mode, and that's adventure mode since it introduces challenges explicitly for hindering the player's progress. Shipwrecked and Hamlet do not fit the bill at all.

I can't be the only one who thinks the game is hard enough. I'd rather get new content than just a difficulty increase.
I think more important than difficulty adjustments is World Generation overhaul. Imagine not knowing where everything is because set pieces don't always spawn in a specific location.

8 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

if the devs made a hard mode that has exactly the same changes as the new no sweat mode but flipped, people would complain its extremely simple and not fun

who would complain about adding settings to make the game more punishing? also wont take much time. One thing is adding hard mode and other is just adding more settings

Here's a mockup on how the new settings could go in the other direction

- The new easymode parameters in world gen should have a few options that go in the opposite direction for each of them in a harder direction

image.thumb.png.e56a7a8ffa8fa4b3663bfa369fc43cb0.png

For instance, the full spectrum could be

Nonlethal - Default - More - Insane

(the "Take less damage" config might have to be reworded as "Damage taken" though and flipped)

- A new "Insanity" gamemode preset could add the above presets at max values all with one click

image.thumb.png.a5234d1269a283630a62d0b8e3a24cf0.png

Archived