Question to Klei about Wonkey

Do you guys plan to add something more to them?

I mean, from what the roadmap said Moon Quay update is supposed to be a 'setting the stage'-type update but so was Turn of Tides and yet celestial crafts never got expanded.

I'm asking because playing as monke might seem fun but I wish there was more than just 'no bunny/pigmen, monkeys neutral, run'

To give you an idea of what changes I have in mind here's a list:

Spoiler

Gameplay changes:

-Wonkey harvests 2x faster than other survivors and already comes equiped with the buffs provided by pirate bandana. Explain it by changing their compendium page to 'Whoever they were, they're a monkey now. ...and a pirate'

-Wonkey can poop and throw poop

-Wonkey can craft pirate flags with papyrus, charcoal and banana (so that ppl can get more pirate banners without needing to face the... not quite tuned pirate raids)

-Bring back Wonkey ghost. Explain it by saying that monkeys from the portal are just that, monkeys and the trinkets they carry simply represent that they are pirates. It's only once trinkets come into contact with other being that weird magic starts happening.

'Polishing' changes

-Turn Wonkey's examination quotes into monkey speech. It just looks off to see a monkey talk about clockmaking or cusine

-Add the lore part to Wonkey's compendium page and either fill it with monkey speech or add some actual lore

Another question is; do you guys plan on giving Wonkey skins? I remember seeing a screenshot of code with a comment that you may or may not. If you decide to, I think they should be cheaper considering that Wonkey isn't a new character per se as you cannot start with them. Let's say, Wonkey skins cost as many spools as you get from unraveling other characters skins

I know that I most likely won't get an answer but hey, it's worth a shot

59 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Turn Wonkey's examination quotes into monkey speech. It just looks off to see a monkey talk about clockmaking or cusine

Afaik non wonkey players do see wonkey's text as monkey sounds. Only other wonkeys (and you) see your text as proper speech. On the other hand, wonkey players see regular people's text as scrambled garbage.

1 minute ago, Another membe said:

Afaik non wonkey players do see wonkey's text as monkey sounds. Only other wonkeys (and you) see your text as proper speech. On the other hand, wonkey players see regular people's text as scrambled garbage.

Either it was broken in my game or it doesn't work that way.

9 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Forum users remember that Wonkey is a curse and a punishment challenge (impossible)

It's more of a mild inconvenience really. 'Oh no, I'm now Wilson without his beard and with a monster tag. How sad. I'll go kill myself next to an eyeplant now since I can't be bothered to sail to the Queen' like please, playing as Webber probably counts as a bigger curse than Wonkey

If Klei wants to add a curse mechanic then 1) make it good and 2) don't make it a cool monkey

2 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

It's more of a mild inconvenience really. 'Oh no, I'm now Wilson without his beard and with a monster tag. How sad. I'll go kill myself next to an eyeplant now since I can't be bothered to sail to the Queen' like please, playing as Webber probably counts as a bigger curse than Wonkey

If Klei wants to add a curse mechanic then 1) make it good and 2) don't make it a cool monkey

1. I'll conceede that being able to clear the curse through death was an incredibly stupid choice.

2. Wonkey isn't good. The only way they can be considered good is if you're playing a character who already has nothing going for them, like Wes or Wilson.

36 minutes ago, BezKa said:

Either it was broken in my game or it doesn't work that way.

Maybe not. I just assumed that that's how it works because pigs speak garbage when I'm wonkey, and pirate monkeys start speaking "proper" English.

I should check before I state something as fact...

2 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

2. Wonkey isn't good. The only way they can be considered good is if you're playing a character who already has nothing going for them, like Wes or Wilson.

You don't feel it's good which is fine and it doesn't really come with a lot of advantages but I've come across many who enjoy being Wonkey in fact I've seen the only people who actually "suffer" from the curse are those who choose to I agree allowing it to be removed by death was a really bad move though since it completely removed it as a curse as anyone who is Wonkey either likes Wonkey, fears death, is attempting to setup a troll, or just doesn't know death removes the trinkets even then these monkeys are realistically just passive mobs who steal things now so there's almost never a point where you actually feel you need to fight them which is the trigger to the curse considering the pirate raids were the only variant who did things that made you more likely to fight back have been nuked out of existence.

5 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

You don't feel it's good which is fine and it doesn't really come with a lot of advantages but I've come across many who enjoy being Wonkey in fact I've seen the only people who actually "suffer" from the curse are those who choose to I agree allowing it to be removed by death was a really bad move though since it completely removed it as a curse as anyone who is Wonkey either likes Wonkey, fears death, is attempting to setup a troll, or just doesn't know death removes the trinkets even then these monkeys are realistically just passive mobs who steal things now so there's almost never a point where you actually feel you need to fight them which is the trigger to the curse considering the pirate raids were the only variant who did things that made you more likely to fight back have been nuked out of existence.

I mean they're not like, Wes bad. It's really hard to be Wes bad. But they're still pretty bad overall. Below average HP and Sanity, Count as a monster. Harder time kiting. Only perks are being neutral towards a specific mob and being faster on long trips.

If someone likes playing Wonkey then sure. More power to 'em. But none the less, they are still a punish state for the player and are designed as such.

Again, I'm still holding out hope that we'll eventually get Wilbur as a playable character. That way, anyone who wants a more fleshed out monkey experience will be happy and the wonkey transformation will largely remain as a bad thing. (Or in other words, a curse)

Sorry if i wasn't clear. I meant that the curse mechanic should be good as in 'well-developed'. I agree that Wonkey isn't a good curse, like i said, it's more of an inconvenience.

A good curse mechanic (imo) would be something that players would actually want to get rid of asap such as:

-Every clock's segment tools inside your inventory loose 5% of durability

-Every time you get hit you lose max hp equal to 50% of damage received

-Every day you forget one of recipes you know (excpet the ones you start with)

And if said curse can be lifted via suicide then it's only 'effective' early game when most players don't have much reviving options. But if a curse persists after death then the player is 'forced' to experience 100% of what the curse has to offer and by that I mean you have to go and lift it the way it was intended.

It doesn't mean that the curse has to lead to death, it can simply be annoying like 2 of my ideas above.

And Wonkey... just isn't that. It's neither a deadly nor annoying curse. And why should Klei make it one, it's a cool monkey

I recently thought that Wonkey doesn't feel like a curse enough. Even if they didn't have a speed bonus, there still would be a lot of people who want to play as silly monke. And it is an improvement over Wilson. The curse should have been something completely lame, so you would want to remove it asap. Like a chicken that only eats unprocessed veggies and has the only perks of laying an egg once a day 

And yeah, removing curse by death is a bad decision and I hope it will get addressed in the next QoL. 

Honestly I never saw Wonkey as a “Curse” I saw Wonkey as a fun, secret unlockable character from doing stuff inside the game-

Every version of DS has had at least one (sometimes two) of these types of characters-

DS had Wes unlocked through making it to chapter 3 in story mode and freeing him from a maze of clockworks, & Maxwell unlocked from completion of story mode where you swap places with him on the Nightmare throne (canon lore wise this is Wilson) 

Reign of Giants had Webber: Who was unlocked by finding his skull trinket and then burying it into a Grave plot.

Shipwrecked had Wilbur unlocked from sailing around to find Monkey & then returning crown to Monkey, And Woodlegs unlocked from finding several keys and returning to his cage to use the keys & free him.

Hamlet had Wilba who to unlock you need to find her village, then go kill a boss and bring her crown back.

(I am not counting characters unlocked through just gaining EXP)

Honestly I was pretty convinced Klei was going to let us unlock Pearl as a playable character after reaching Maximum friendship with her- but instead.. we have Wonkey who is cute and fun to play with.

I still am holding out hope that just like with the original DS’s main villain becoming unlockable, that Charlie will someday get the same treatment for DST.

6 hours ago, Szczuku said:

I'll go kill myself next to an eyeplant now since I can't be bothered to sail to the Queen'

I understand why they chose to go in this direction with the curse, but dang do I wish there was a better way. Maybe players could stay as Wonkey upon revive and still need to go to the queen to turn back to normal? I dunno.

8 hours ago, Szczuku said:

If you decide to, I think they should be cheaper considering that Wonkey isn't a new character per se as you cannot start with them. Let's say, Wonkey skins cost as many spools as you get from unraveling other characters skins

There are skins for things like garland, boulder, seed pack it, etc. I don't know why people keep thinking wonkey skins would suck, it's still a full skin for a full character. You cant start as him but you can't start with a dark sword either and those skins are normal price. 

You are literally transformed into them via CURSED trinkets

Woodies Wereforms are a “Curse” too but that didn’t stop Him & Wickerbottom from figuring out how to create Itchy Idols to use his curse to his advantage.

For Woodie.. this is just another Ben 10 alien added to his Omnitrix, for Wes and Maxwell it’s more a blessing in certain situations- 

Really it depends on who your playing as, if you play Wendy and rely on Abigail, or your used to Wolfgang’s 2x strength then I guess it’s a curse? 

However: How is this any different from playing till chapter 3 of DS and unlocking Wes? A character who is intentionally designed to be worse than other character choices?

If Wonkeys Curse was truly a “Curse” it would feel incredibly punishing.. such as- your Monkey only eats Bananas and refuses all other types of foods, trying to die to remove the curse just increases the amount of trinkets you have to get rid of, The player randomly losses control over Wonkey and it runs off to eat any nearby bugs out of impulsive instinct (such as Crustashine) 

Wonkey is in actuality a glorified Wes unlockable character. 

I believe the “Curse” of Moon Quay was literally just an update Klei wanted to do that tells a story of people/pigs/Merms that become transformed into monkey pirates.. it lets us as gamers think “You know.. maybe Wilbur really was a King before he became Monkey?”

As far as this feeling like a “Punishment” lol no.. no where near.

I would feel more punished if Monkey had Wagstaff levels of eyesight and couldn’t create Bifolcals to see better with.

1 hour ago, Owlrust said:

I understand why they chose to go in this direction with the curse, but dang do I wish there was a better way. Maybe players could stay as Wonkey upon revive and still need to go to the queen to turn back to normal? I dunno.

Personally I liked the idea that was brought up awhile ago where you only drop 1 trinket on death meaning a player would have to die 10 times to get rid of them all if they transformed and wanted to cheese it.

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Woodies Wereforms are a “Curse” too but that didn’t stop Him & Wickerbottom from figuring out how to create Itchy Idols to use his curse to his advantage.

For Woodie.. this is just another Ben 10 alien added to his Omnitrix, for Wes and Maxwell it’s more a blessing in certain situations- 

While Wonkey can be used to cancel character's downsides, being cursed is still an overall net loss in most situations.

Really it depends on who your playing as, if you play Wendy and rely on Abigail, or your used to Wolfgang’s 2x strength then I guess it’s a curse? 

Or if you were relying on Webber's spiders. Or Wanda's clocks. Or Woodie's forms. Or Wickerbottom's books. Or BERNIE!. Or- y'know what? Just stick every character onto a dart board and cover your eyes. 9 times out of 10 you'll hit someone who looses big perks from turning into a Wonkey.

However: How is this any different from playing till chapter 3 of DS and unlocking Wes? A character who is intentionally designed to be worse than other character choices?

The difference is that Wes is just that. An unlock. If you reach chapter 3 and take the time to free him. Then Wes dissapears and becomes a character you can pick at any time. Whatever character you pick, you keep playing as.

Meanwhile, killing Pirate Monkeys spawns a cursed trinket that forces itself into your inventory. And if you get 10 of these trinkets, you're forced to turn into Wonkey, thus losing all of your character's perks, becoming a monster, (likely) having your stats lowered, and getting a penelty towards kiting. You then need to go to a specific location and pay the Moon Quey Queen bananas (or just die) inorder to undo the curse and get your actual character back. 

Wonkey, is a curse. Wes, is an unlock for people who don't like too have fun.

If Wonkeys Curse was truly a “Curse” it would feel incredibly punishing.. such as- your Monkey only eats Bananas and refuses all other types of foods, trying to die to remove the curse just increases the amount of trinkets you have to get rid of, The player randomly losses control over Wonkey and it runs off to eat any nearby bugs out of impulsive instinct (such as Crustashine) 

See above

Wonkey is in actuality a glorified Wes unlockable character. 

Ok then. Go start a world and pick Wonkey from the character select screen. I'll wait.

I believe the “Curse” of Moon Quay was literally just an update Klei wanted to do that tells a story of people/pigs/Merms that become transformed into monkey pirates.. it lets us as gamers think “You know.. maybe Wilbur really was a King before he became Monkey?”

There is literally nothing to suggest that being the case? ? ? 

As far as this feeling like a “Punishment” lol no.. no where near.

I've covered this by now.

I would feel more punished if Monkey had Wagstaff levels of eyesight and couldn’t create Bifolcals to see better with.

I mean yeah, that would be more "punishing", but that doesn't Mean Wonkey still isn't a punishment.

Archived