Yet another Lunar Grimoire poll

Rate the following possible Lunar Grimoire recipe changes  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Keep as is (1 iridescent gem + 2 moon moth wings + 2 papyrus)

• Too cheap / quick to acquire
    • Too expensive / long to acquire
    • Sounds fine
    • Unsure / no strong opinion
    • Just don't like it
    • I would prefer this most
  2. 2. 1 (distilled knowledge OR astral detector) + 2 moon moth wings + 2 papyrus

• Sounds fine
    • Just don't like it
  3. 3. 1 (Glommer's flower OR Glommer's wings) + 2 moon moth wings + 2 papyrus

• Sounds fine
    • Just don't like it
  4. 4. 1 yellow moonlens + 2 moon moth wings + 2 papyrus

• Sounds fine
    • Just don't like it
  5. 5. What aspects of Lunar Grimoire (if any) should be changed? (Select all that apply)

• The recipe
    • The global effect
    • The lunar cycle change
    • Full moons on consecutive nights
    • Something else (leave a comment)
    • It's fine as is

Last poll was a bit of a mess, slimming it down to some of the recipe suggestions I've seen mentioned the most in favor of getting a more accurate result. Some recipes didn't make it into the poll due to a maximum of 5 questions (i.e. purple moonlens, moon shrooms, etc.) If you believe a different recipe would be more appropriate, leave a comment.

I chose “sounds fine” for all three alternative options cuz its the only positive option :lol: but my personal preference would be Distilled Knowledge or Astral Detector + Moon Moth wings.

Wickerbottom should be connected to the Archives activation somehow, it just makes too much thematic sense :rolleyes: and the Grimoire is the perfect way to do it for more than thematic reasons: 

It makes the grimoire dependent on natural full moons to unlock, having to do the moon base event is an appropriate hurdle in terms of difficulty/cost/planning for the power of the grimoire, after activating the archives the cost for each book is much more reasonable and the Archive opals are safeguarded from looting.

In fact it would make Wickerbottom the guardian of the Archives orchestrina and making sure it gets activated which is so appropriate considering the role she always plays in animated shorts. 

an opal for each book is just soo grindy and doesnt achieve what it sets out to achieve because of the free and easily accessible opals in the archives. It just introduces grind, when a more interesting option is available. 

I'm strongly leaning towards Glommer wings/flowers.

Glommer's entire thing is Full Moons, not to mention the wings/flowers original use is no longer in the game, making it one of the few items that actually are entirely useless at the moment.
I think it'd be fitting and fair enough to have it be used for the book.
It locks it to the first full moon, and I don't think using it to abuse Glommer for extra wings is too bad either, honestly.

I'm a big fan of the iridescent gem usage in the recipe, to me it makes the most sense, to get one you have to depend on natural full moon and due to the fact that the book can recharge, it's not like the book will disapear. Tho I think they should buff the usage of the book, making it into 5 uses before expiring the book. I don't think resources this powerfull and global effects should came too easy, tho I'm not really against the yellow moonlens option, or the distilled knowledge. Rather they change it for yellow moonlens/distilled knowledge or buff the usage of the book, it should be fine as long as it doesn't become too cheap to the point of making it farmable.

I'm going to be the devils advocate for a min. The iridescent gem wouldn't be such a big ask for an experienced player but I'm asking for you to remember when you first started to play the game. The ruins made me nervous. Going to mine yellow and green gems seemed a bit intimidating but I was more apprehensive to approach the intact ancient sudoscience station because I wasn't good at timing the nightmare phase and fighting 2 bishops while poss facing nightmare creatures at the same time was a bit frightening. Then when I finally accomplished it and had my starcaller and decon staff. Now new players need to make a decision. Burn an entire star staff??? It seemed to precious to me to do so, so I waited until it had low durability. This took awhile because I really didn't want to use my precious staff. Then came the moonstone event, well the first one didn't go great because the hoard overwhelmed me. So I had to wait on another full moon after I got my statues up to protect it. Now I had a mooncaller, took forever for me to use it (again to precious) to finally decon it for an iridescent gem..... You want new players to go through all this for one book? Hmmm I dunno

Iridescent gem fits perfectly within the lore of the game plus the game gives you 2 free gems in the archives. Once you have the book you can start the moon stone event at any time to replace the gems you took. 

The lunar grotto and archive are pretty safe enough biomes to explore too so even less experienced players can access it if they reallly want.

The recipe is expensive on paper, cheap in practice.

3 minutes ago, goatt said:

I think the game shouldn't be tuned solely on polls. Poll results can be misleading, and can be interpreted in wrong ways.

Even tho insights can be found there.

Sure. Not trying to say any of these options is objectively the best because more people voted for it. Just trying to gather opinions that could potentially be used as feedback. Ultimately whatever direction the game goes is up to Klei.

Of all the options, the one I like the most is the yellow moon, I think it's the one that comes closest to a middle ground.

Using the wings and the gloomer flower doesn't seem like a bad option, sometimes sacrifices are required in magic, like in the old days with wendy summoning abigail, it would be a fun and sinister addition to the game. but it's still a bit cheap.

The option I had in mind would be closer to this:

image.png.fd2a18c41ff0ef5c1becb705af7388a9.png

If people want a somewhat logic and not too cheap cost while not having people stealing the iri gem in the archives, why not replace the gem with a moon caller staff in the craft ? It makes way more sense than any other moon related item beside the iri gem.

I like glommer’s wings not having a use. They’re almost like a punishment for killing glommer, a constant reminder that you killed (or didn’t properly take care of) poor glommer, and shall receive nothing in return.

1 hour ago, goblinball said:

I like glommer’s wings not having a use. They’re almost like a punishment for killing glommer, a constant reminder that you killed (or didn’t properly take care of) poor glommer, and shall receive nothing in return.

They're fuel. 

1 hour ago, goblinball said:

Summoning Krampus, using the goop as pig trap food (ik rot works), monster meat, using the goop to lose sanity, using the goop to grow above average trees; the game rewards you plenty for killing it on mass if possible and very little for keeping it alive.

It's like the duck that lays golden eggs scenario, except when you kill it you do get golden eggs faster and it keeps respawning. 

10 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Hey @Terra B Welch, what do you think about needing to viciously murder Glommer every time you want to craft this book? 

Why the hell do you feel the need to randomly ping me and talk crap about Glommer? What have I ever done to you?

The last thing I wanted was to be dragged into this.

I'd also sooner burn a lunar grimoire then craft it, and I can't stand playing Wickerbottom as is, so I'd never harm glommer.

12 hours ago, Pedro cc said:

I want to keep the iridescent gem but remove the lunar moths so it's more accessible and keep the recipe simple with only papyrus and other ingredient just like the other books

Completely agreed. Requiring moth wings AND an iridescent gem is what makes me feel like the book is expensive, even though I don't have a problem with the book requiring an iridescent gem. Having to visit two biomes that are almost always going to be very far from each other is just too much.

I'd like it better if wickerbottom could only craft that particular book from the moon Island's assembled celestial alter. Thematically it Makes sense and restricts it to only be craftable after you set up the first alter. Whatever moon resource would be plenty. It's just too expensive now. This makes it viable while making it so you can't craft it on day 1

Archived