Priorities are so broken, why do they exist?

No clue why this is still an issue on a 5 year old game.

I play the game for several months at a time and go about 6 months to a year between binges and the PRIORITIES are so broken it's not even funny.

RIDICULOUS!

RATION BOX = Errand type supply                      

Do you supply your fridge at home or do you store food in your fridge at home??  I made a post about this like 2 years ago.

Why does SWEEPING task activate STORING and not TIDYING

Why does LIFE SUPPORT control emptying the Outhouse and not TIDYING

This stuff makes no sense to me as a native english speaker.  Your forums are in English, what is the glitch?

This feels like the authors are purposely screwing with us.  I set my store priorities higher to keep food from spoiling but it's really supply that puts meal lice in a ration box not store.

There's about 50 more problems with the PRIORITIES and it feels like KLEI either doesn't give a crap about fixing it or purposely likes to have it broken to mess with us.

I've wasted over 2000 hours on this game and i have definitely bitched about this several times over the years.

JESUS CHRIST IS LORD - I REBUKE YOU KLEI 

Steps to Reproduce

When expecting a duplicant to STORE items in something use priority SUPPLY not STORE.

When expecting a duplicant to SUPPLY items to a construction project use priority STORE not SUPPLY.

When expecting a duplicant to EMPTY an Outhouse use LIFE SUPPORT not TIDYING.

When expecting a duplicant to FARM and setting FARMING to double up arrows and mealwood to 9, duplicants will ignore ready to harvest mealwood and do lvl 5 single up arrow sweeping instead.

When trying to have a good time playing oxgen not included, don't even open the priorities because they are complete and utter crap to the game play and only causes headaches and torment to the player playing a 5 year old game with first year gameplay issues.

Kudos

Its just how it was in the process of developing, and it got never adressed again. It was something, then the system changed, but only parts of it, and the rest was forgotten to change too. Yes its annoying. But the second you know what is what you can do it. At that moment its just annoying and maye you dont want to be it that way, what i can understand. But for the time beeing. It is, what it is.

Well, yes, they are somewhat broken. The thing is that job-scheduling is a really hard problem and doing it real-time (as ONI does) is even harder. They do exist because not having them is a lot worse. And once you get used to them, they work fairly well.

I agree that "clean outhouse" should probably be life-support, but I fix this by having an extra outhouse and a dupe that has "tidying" as max prio within "tidying", the outhouse has a (somewhat hidden) higher priority. 

What annoys me is when dupes run 1000 tiles away to do a supply for building a ladder, but then once it is supplied, they run away and wait for a different dupe 1000 tiles away to actually build it. The only way around it is to lock dupes in & out from the job area. I've tried messing with the priorities in varying ways but found there is no good solution. Construction, mining, supply, and storage need to all be on the same, neutral priority. I only use the priority system for allowing/disallowing job types like research, cooking, etc.

1 hour ago, QuantumPion said:

What annoys me is when dupes run 1000 tiles away to do a supply for building a ladder, but then once it is supplied, they run away and wait for a different dupe 1000 tiles away to actually build it. The only way around it is to lock dupes in & out from the job area. I've tried messing with the priorities in varying ways but found there is no good solution. Construction, mining, supply, and storage need to all be on the same, neutral priority. I only use the priority system for allowing/disallowing job types like research, cooking, etc.

Not sure if "Enable Proximity" helps. It helps dupes to choose the closest task first.

https://oxygennotincluded.fandom.com/wiki/Priority

11 hours ago, QuantumPion said:

What annoys me is when dupes run 1000 tiles away to do a supply for building a ladder, but then once it is supplied, they run away and wait for a different dupe 1000 tiles away to actually build it. The only way around it is to lock dupes in & out from the job area.

I can undertsand that this annoys you. But I also know a bit about scheduling and the reason Klei does it this way is because it happens to work reliably. Yes, it looks bad. But remember that computer are not intelligent, cannot understand anything and cannot judge whether something makes sense or not. While it seems easy to just fix the effect you see, once job starvation and limited computing time for scheduling come into the picture, it stops being easy. 

2 hours ago, Gurgel said:

I can undertsand that this annoys you. But I also know a bit about scheduling and the reason Klei does it this way is because it happens to work reliably. Yes, it looks bad. But remember that computer are not intelligent, cannot understand anything and cannot judge whether something makes sense or not. While it seems easy to just fix the effect you see, once job starvation and limited computing time for scheduling come into the picture, it stops being easy. 

You try to teach blind people colors...

9 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Well of course but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. Particularly for building/digging ladders.

20 hours ago, DolphinWing said:

Not sure if "Enable Proximity" helps. It helps dupes to choose the closest task first.

https://oxygennotincluded.fandom.com/wiki/Priority

I've tried turning proximity on and off many times and haven't ever noticed it doing anything differently.

On 7/21/2022 at 6:26 PM, SirPhoboseus said:

No clue why this is still an issue on a 5 year old game.

I play the game for several months at a time and go about 6 months to a year between binges and the PRIORITIES are so broken it's not even funny.

RIDICULOUS!

RATION BOX = Errand type supply                      

Do you supply your fridge at home or do you store food in your fridge at home??  I made a post about this like 2 years ago.

Why does SWEEPING task activate STORING and not TIDYING

A lot that you have complained about is more towards a opinion rather than a rationale look at game mechanics as it's reasoning, every priority is ment to achieve something specific with duplicant (or automation) interaction (but it will occasionally be updated to that reasoning depending on how it conflicts with the intended movement of the game.)

While you might think some buildings only use one type of errand like storing, that is in fact incorrect as a lot of buildings uses multiple errands types, things like oxygen diffusers for example use both supply and life support and a more recent one that they updated is feeders using ranching and supplying (previously ranching alone).

1048767765_loadingalgae.thumb.png.4a5d990ccb9a2298c4255d41e4ff3753.png

A "sweeping" task isn't actually a task while a "mopping" task is actually a task.

The reasoning is "mopping" changes the state of a liquid into debrie while "sweeping" just increases (Or decreases) it's priority to be moved away into a storage or building (and triggers storage for bins set with sweep only).

If your talking about storage bins using "Storing" instead of "tiding" then your understanding of the building isn't exactly correct, while bins do remove debrie from the floor for the sake of duplicant morale, their main purpose is actually to have materials at locations where they are needed most to reduce long term running and automation sweepers usage (kilm needs coal and clay, refineries need raw metals, feeders need their relevant materials, etc).

While you might have 2000hrs of game time I believe you should understand the intended game mechanics first before going on a rant for change while claiming that it makes no sense as a english speaker.

The game follows mechanical logic rather than language alone and while they do make mistakes or under-estimate certain priority listings, they for the most part got it right or fix it in due time.

On 7/21/2022 at 6:26 PM, SirPhoboseus said:

(Outhouses do actually use tiding)

1444095705_outhousecleaningtask.thumb.png.0179c1bfe016f54572c39997e72a86ee.png

On 7/27/2022 at 6:14 AM, Ntr1cate said:

A lot that you have complained about is more towards a opinion rather than a rationale look at game mechanics as it's reasoning, every priority is ment to achieve something specific with duplicant (or automation) interaction (but it will occasionally be updated to that reasoning depending on how it conflicts with the intended movement of the game.)

While you might think some buildings only use one type of errand like storing, that is in fact incorrect as a lot of buildings uses multiple errands types, things like oxygen diffusers for example use both supply and life support and a more recent one that they updated is feeders using ranching and supplying (previously ranching alone).

A "sweeping" task isn't actually a task while a "mopping" task is actually a task.

The reasoning is "mopping" changes the state of a liquid into debrie while "sweeping" just increases (Or decreases) it's priority to be moved away into a storage or building (and triggers storage for bins set with sweep only).

If your talking about storage bins using "Storing" instead of "tiding" then your understanding of the building isn't exactly correct, while bins do remove debrie from the floor for the sake of duplicant morale, their main purpose is actually to have materials at locations where they are needed most to reduce long term running and automation sweepers usage (kilm needs coal and clay, refineries need raw metals, feeders need their relevant materials, etc).

While you might have 2000hrs of game time I believe you should understand the intended game mechanics first before going on a rant for change while claiming that it makes no sense as a english speaker.

The game follows mechanical logic rather than language alone and while they do make mistakes or under-estimate certain priority listings, they for the most part got it right or fix it in due time.

I appreciate your explanation.  A lot of what you said makes sense without the game making any more sense about it. 

On 7/27/2022 at 6:14 AM, Ntr1cate said:

Thank you for helping <3

One note: If your dupe has an equal, high priority for Build and Supply, they will supply and then immediately build. They will also do so if Build is higher than Supply, as long as all build tasks are the same priority.

Things get messy when a dupe has Build lower priority than Supply, or something else higher than both, because they will be forced to run off.

But if a Builder dupe has Build and Supply as their highest priorities, they will complete both. You can even see another dupe try to come running over to build when the original Builder finishes supplying, but the Builder will just do the job anyway ("Nope, I got this!"), and the one trying to run in will abort and wander off to mess something else up. :)

The priority system generally works well, and mods like No Manual Delivery really help iron out the rough spots.

The wording or text label for the tasks are very confusing and not intuitive for sure.   I agree with this.   It doesn't make logical sense the words used to label these tasks.  

I recommend a color code or symbol icon system that would make it easier to see what tasks is associated with the priority task name.      The job system or priority task system could use an overhaul on making things easier and clear to understand. 

On this note, I think the materials science research should be changed to green color code rather than yellow.  Since it requires green radiation color to process the research. Almost all the buildings that require the radiation yellow science bar is color coded with a green shade or color scheme.    Why is yellow the chosen color bar.  Doesn't make sense to me and not as intuitive. 

Archived