Whats the point of wurts character anymore?

the problem with having so many characters is that klei has to go on their way to balance them, not like if it was a pvp game, but because they will stay irrelevant by the stuff they add into the future

this normally isnt a problem but since klei is a small studio they cant keep track on everytime they need to buff a character, look at woodie's goose form, he used to be #1 lunar rusher now everyone can do it because of grass rafts

1 minute ago, _Ellat_ said:

The fact she freezes when she's wet is kinda bad and no ability to swim or do anything with water is a let down.

you don't freeze both in winter and spring if you get yourself sun fish from ocean, about swiming yeah it would be nice but it would be honestly very hard to emply

I still think Wurt is fine

she is the best support to herself (other player that also play as Wurt), meanwhile her support capability torward other character is just a small bonus, not her main point

Klei already failed with Webber, they have to make his spider turning to friendly mob just so he can be a low tier support

I think rather than do the same with Wurt, we should ask for something that support her "selfish" playstyle more, making her more unique and not end up like Webber...

10 minutes ago, _Ellat_ said:

Tbh when wurt came out I wanted to main her. I thought it's finally a character for me but I guess I was wrong. I honestly expected wurt to rely more on other merms. Being able to build more than 2 types of houses for merms allowing them to have more professions. Also some water related perks would be nice. The fact she freezes when she's wet is kinda bad and no ability to swim or do anything with water is a let down.

While i do main Wurt, and she's currently the best fitting character for me, i can relate to your wishes. 

hope we'll get new merm types sometime in the future, preferably not combat oriented(although first they should probably focus of finishing reworks and stuff) 

7 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

the problem with having so many characters is that klei has to go on their way to balance them, not like if it was a pvp game, but because they will stay irrelevant by the stuff they add into the future

this normally isnt a problem but since klei is a small studio they cant keep track on everytime they need to buff a character, look at woodie's goose form, he used to be #1 lunar rusher now everyone can do it because of grass rafts

To expand apoun this while the argument that characters don't need to be balanced because this is a player vs environment game has always been heavily leaned on this has created a problem in itself you have characters who are so much better than their peers while requiring so much less work the answer has always been then play x character instead but why should x character have it so much easier than y character without putting in the work to do it. It simply creates feeling of uselessness and can even create bad blood on a team if you like to play a character who "doesn't really contribute anything of value" this is a reason why balance is important in any game. This has become a bigger issue with Wickerbottom as she's beginning to step on a lot of toes while potentially ruining a play experience for a set of players even if it isn't intentional. For example u less kiel does something before launch Wickerbottom effectively erases Woodie as a playable character whose going to support not having infinite full moon's for the sake of Woodie on a pub server he simply doesn't contribute enough for the majority to care how badly Wickerbottom will hurt him.

1 minute ago, Mysterious box said:

To expand apoun this while the argument that characters don't need to be balanced because this is a player vs environment game has always been heavily leaned on this has created a problem in itself you have characters who are so much better than their peers while requiring so much less work the answer has always been then play x character instead but why should x character have it so much easier than y character without putting in the work to do it. It simply creates feeling of uselessness and can even create bad blood on a team if you like to play a character who "doesn't really contribute anything of value" this is a reason why balance is important in any game. This has become a bigger issue with Wickerbottom as she's beginning to step on a lot of toes while potentially ruining a play experience for a set of players even if it isn't intentional. For example u less kiel does something before launch Wickerbottom effectively erases Woodie as a playable character whose going to support not having infinite full moon's for the sake of Woodie on a pub server he simply doesn't contribute enough for the majority to care how badly Wickerbottom will hurt him.

i think at this point Klei hating Woodie is now intended 

1 hour ago, MikoFanboy said:

yes? you say the book is cheap, so?
your main point was wicker better at farming fish now but you ignore that just having the book does nothing, since you need to either fish them up one by one or using Strident Trident which take a lot of setup beforehand 

ocean trawler kit??? You don't need a trident nor do you need a fishing rod

Wurt is a selfish character who plays best with merms not with other players, at best she can generate resources by gathering merms to obliterate rock fields and forests in minutes with about 10 merms. A camp of 20 merms in close proximity can start merms wars, with a king as live the Regen of the merm is 1-2 days. That's at least 19 fish and froglegs every 2 or so days for something as cheap as a seed or heck, another fish. (Dead merms refund you a fish)

Finally her temperature is augmented greatly by sun and ice fish. Say goodbye to any downside in Spring and summer becomes trivial. So nvm playing as a team, wurt is a great character period.

Just now, Intrepidpioneer said:

Wurt is a selfish character who plays best with merms not with other players, at best she can generate resources by gathering merms to obliterate rock fields and forests in minutes with about 10 merms. A camp of 20 merms in close proximity can start merms wars, with a king as live the Regen of the merm is 1-2 days. That's at least 19 fish and froglegs every 2 or so days for something as cheap as a seed or heck, another fish. (Dead merms refund you a fish)

Finally her temperature is augmented greatly by sun and ice fish. Say goodbye to any downside in Spring and summer becomes trivial. So nvm playing as a team, wurt is a great character period.

I don't agree but it does make me want to play as wurt just to obliterate forests lol.

2 hours ago, Hornete said:

Huh? I haven't played Wurt in a while but she doesn't have any natural perk that actually helps her get fish faster last I remember, she needs to get rods like most other characters.

If anything, there's now a cool synergy between Wurt and Wicker, Wicker makes a bunch of fish, Wurt can trade them in to the Merm King. Wish you could make merm houses with ocean fish...

you can build spam craft merm houses and keep killing merms (like you used to kill bunnies for carrots and meat)

Spoiler

55 minutes ago, Intrepidpioneer said:

Wurt is a selfish character who plays best with merms not with other players

Playing with others and having them benefit from her perks is baked deep into her design.

56 minutes ago, Intrepidpioneer said:

at best she can generate resources by gathering merms to obliterate rock fields and forests in minutes with about 10 merms. A camp of 20 merms in close proximity can start merms wars

57 minutes ago, Intrepidpioneer said:

That's at least 19 fish and froglegs every 2 or so days for something as cheap as a seed or heck, another fish. (Dead merms refund you a fish)

This is avaible to anyone who plays with her via the clever disguise. She also offers the team frog rain protection, monster tag protection, and merm king offers mass produced seeds, kelp, trinkets(including fishing gear), reeds, spots(has use beyond merm guard homes), and gold. Also remember these are highly durable fighters with built in hp regen who do not sleep. Her perks offer a good deal of benefit to the team and the team can offer a good deal of benefit to her she just gets a bad rep as selfish because people often don't see what she offers as useful enough to help her.

1 hour ago, Intrepidpioneer said:

with a king as live the Regen of the merm is 1-2 days.

Btw merm king doesn't effect normal merm spawn rate but merm guards do respawn every 4 minutes or half a day.

They are super different characters. As it was mentioned by others they even synergize well in many aspects. Wickerbottom currently has synergies with most (if not all) of the other characters. Wurt's fish production has nothing to do or envy to Wickerbottom's.

Wurt is still a very powerful character, specially due to the recent changes to her. The fact that Wickerbottom is also a very powerful character now, doesn't have to make you feel like Wurt is useless if you feel like maining her. It always happens with refreshes that there is a huge hype of a certain character and then over time it slowly fades away and everything goes back to "normal".

You can still focus on Wurt if you like her, and you will realize that after all the hype is gone and the public servers are no longer filled with 10 wickerbottoms casting rain over and over and dying to nightmare creatures, what will remain are people that probably know how to use Wicker's perks, and as a Wurt, you will help them greatly.

Some interactions I can think of:

• Wurt can mass supply seeds from his king, which wickerbottom can quickly grow to kickstart a specialized seed bank. Wicker can also provide light for the crops to grow at night or in the caves, even before visiting the ruins.
  • Wurt can supply all the early game wood, stone, nitre, rocks and flint, where Wicker can help grow trees quickly and supply Wurt with instant veggie food, cactii,grass, twigs, and instant new forests.
  • Wurt can eventually obliterate bee queen and dragonfly on her own, mostly to supply jellybeans and scaled chests. Wickerbottom with birds farms can supply Wurt with unlimited gold (from morsels) and maybe faster krampus sack.
  • Wurt is immune to rain for the most part, so they can easily abuse the new bonus electric damage Wicker can enhance by keeping constant rains during big fights. Wurt can never freeze with rain as soon as she gets to keep 3-4 sunfish in a tinbin.
  • Wurt supplies easy, cheap and renewable protection against hound waves, mass spider queens, and shadow monkeys. Wicker supplies great protection against pirate monkeys (sleep) or boss fights that are not going too well.

And a big ETC. 

2 hours ago, MikoFanboy said:

yes? you say the book is cheap, so?
your main point was wicker better at farming fish now but you ignore that just having the book does nothing, since you need to either fish them up one by one or using Strident Trident which take a lot of setup beforehand 

You're forgetting trawler's exist now.

it's not a day 1 set up, but you can definitely do it within first autumn. Which ive done almost every run so far just cause that's my priority. This is what they are telling you.

It seems to me that the guy who created the theme has never really tried to play for Wurt, he looks like an abuser trying to humiliate his ex-girlfriend in every possible way, while praising his new girlfriend .....this is very sad and painful to see

(Sorry for my English)

Wurt's army is pretty much unstoppable. 

Wurt can also amass an army of resource gathers and farm logs/rocks/marble faster than any other character. 

All this just takes time to set up. Some people don't want to do that and find her boring. 

1 hour ago, PetulantPansy said:

All this just takes time to set up. Some people don't want to do that and find her boring. 

While I'm more or less fine with where Wurt is at this issue really comes up down to how wonky balance has been lately compare Wickerbottom to Wurt for example Wickerbottom comes out the gate basically with powers far more impactful than Wurt without putting in any real effort and very lackluster downsides that are almost non existent to people who know what they're doing. From a new player/casual and veteran perspective why would you ever look at the character who asks more and does less overall compared to the character who is a master of her craft with abilities no other character comes close to and a jack of what should be other characters trades as well.

13 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Wickerbottom comes out the gate basically with powers far more impactful than Wurt without putting in any real effort and very lackluster downsides that are almost non existent to people who know what they're doing.

It's even worse for Wormwood. In my opinion, he's a well-rounded character with gardening perks. But what the point of tending to crops faster, having super strong fertilizer and investing your time into farms when Wickerbottom can just read a book a couple of times, do the work 10 times faster and get almost the same reward?

1 minute ago, maxwell_winters said:

It's even worse for Wormwood. In my opinion, he's a well-rounded character with gardening perks. But what the point of tending to crops faster, having super strong fertilizer and investing your time into farms when Wickerbottom can just read a book a couple of times, do the work 10 times faster and get almost the same reward?

That was my point here.

15 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

compared to the character who is a master of her craft with abilities no other character comes close to and a jack of what should be other characters trades as well.

9 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

While I'm more or less fine with where Wurt is at this issue really comes up down to how wonky balance has been lately compare Wickerbottom to Wurt for example Wickerbottom comes out the gate basically with powers far more impactful than Wurt without putting in any real effort and very lackluster downsides that are almost non existent to people who know what they're doing. From a new player/casual and veteran perspective why would you ever look at the character who asks more and does less overall compared to the character who is a master of her craft with abilities no other character comes close to and a jack of what should be other characters trades as well.

because it's fun! 

i like characters who take time to grow power, and i like building my little kingdom! 

9 hours ago, maxwell_winters said:

Oh, so that's what this game is all about: being more efficient, being faster, minmaxing?

I thought the point of a game was to enjoy and have fun playing it. DST has many aspects and many layers, that's why it has many characters. If you enjoy switching characters to always have the best for the task at hand, then please do so. If you love your main and always stick to it, then it's all good. If you enjoy going random and see what the game throws at you, I hope you're having fun, because in the end, it's all that matters.

I love listening to the deep sounds of a didjeridoo, and I proud myself in being able to turn any biome into a potato field. What for, you may ask? Well, because I enjoy doing it!

And I'll add this to our Wurt mains out there: let's be friends and I'll grow you durians!

6 hours ago, ChemNPhy said:

Oh, so that's what this game is all about: being more efficient, being faster, minmaxing?

I thought the point of a game was to enjoy and have fun playing it. DST has many aspects and many layers, that's why it has many characters. If you enjoy switching characters to always have the best for the task at hand, then please do so. If you love your main and always stick to it, then it's all good. If you enjoy going random and see what the game throws at you, I hope you're having fun, because in the end, it's all that matters.

I love listening to the deep sounds of a didjeridoo, and I proud myself in being able to turn any biome into a potato field. What for, you may ask? Well, because I enjoy doing it!

And I'll add this to our Wurt mains out there: let's be friends and I'll grow you durians!

Don't get me wrong the point is to have fun but when characters start cutting to heavily into other characters main upsides it makes them less welcomed in groups which can ruin the play experience for some people I don't personally think Wickerbottom directly hurts Wurt much as fish meat farming is considered fairly niche outside of friend groups but I know tons of people who enjoy the farming aspect of Wormwood and I know they'll be disappointed that their hard work in farming can more or less be replicated as a small part of another character's perk for little to no effort that being said I don't see wormwood being less welcomed unless living logs become even easier to obtain.

Archived