Wickers refresh lacks creativity and is a waste of potential, and I am very disappointed.

On 7/14/2022 at 6:22 PM, Scrimbles said:

Wicker is considered an incredibly boring character due to her lack of any core mechanic, or trait, or design that makes her feel fun and unique to play.

What is the core mechanic/trait that makes (wigfrid, willow, webber, winona, wilson, wurt, and wes) fun and unique? Each of the characters I mentioned have something unique about them, but none of them seem to pass the standard you set here.

The point is, I find the entire premise of this argument to be off. Not every character will be a wanda or wx and have very dynamic character specific play. That's just how it is. When you have 18 unique survivors and 1 constant, it's not that easy to make all of them have deep character specific play. That's just the reality of the situation. 

As I've said multiple times before, it's easy to point out problems, and difficult to come up with solutions. To be honest, none of the recommendations you mention make her any more interesting than she already is. 

What if she was able to catalogue various flora and fauna of the constant? Maybe being able to take notes, and share them with other players? Maybe she has an obsessive need to seek knowledge? Maybe she could use a reworked version of something like research points, the old crafting mechanic where you would break down items into points that you can craft with?

What's the value of having a catalogue of all the flora/fauna. What kind of notes are we talking about that would actually be useful to other players. Is this a 1 time thing (ie. pick and switch) or will it be continuous. There can only be so many things to take notes on. Ok, let's say she can craft blueprints with a bunch of knowledge but there are only so many items to craft in the game. Giving her the ability to make blueprints for the knapsack or bundling wrap would actually be broken op. No one wants to see another meter which seems to be what crafting points would ultimately result in.   

20 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m not sure if you’ve paid a lot of attention to literally every rework.. but most downsides are being phased almost (if not completely..) out of Existence.

If you want my personal opinion I can only see that as a GOOD thing

Didn't you literally say earlier that Wortox doesn't deserve the pre nerfed map teleport because he doesn't have any/enough downsides? Even though he's one of the few characters to actually have legit downsides.

Didn't you also say he should spawn krampus more easily and more often to make up for his soul powers?

Its so hard to decipher your actual stance on things so often. Half the time you want the game to be harder and half the time you want it to be easier. You also seem to want klei to somehow make it so that world settings are so intricate and in-depth that you can literally make dst into your own unique brand new game that allows anything the mind can imagine.

This isn't roblox or one of those other crazy platforms that allows user created games.

32 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m not sure if you’ve paid a lot of attention to literally every rework.. but most downsides are being phased almost (if not completely..) out of Existence.

If you want my personal opinion I can only see that as a GOOD thing because it makes every character easier to pick up, play and enjoy.. meanwhile- Klei can always add a harder mode which introduces heavier more serious downsides in a later update- They literally have a thing in the game called World Presets: without turning this thread into a long highly off topic post the TL:DR of what that means is that these are world Settings that the DEVELOPERS themselves pick & choose to determine how you will play the game…

Now rather or not anyone would play the game with those settings on is anyones guess.. but keep in mind when most the world wanted Klei to remove/change or Rework Wildfires.. Klei instead doubled down on keeping them in the game adding an option to toggle them to happen more frequently (for the crazy folks like me who enjoy the destructive challenge of Rebuild & Repair after Disasters strike) With that in mind not even WES got difficult downsides, Wes actually got cool stuff that makes playing him less boring.

Do I want to see an update add OPTIONAL harsh downsides and difficulties later? Absolutely.. but for now- make all the characters easy to pick up, play & enjoy.

Ignoring the fact that, no. Character downsides are incredably important and can be the most compelling part of a character if done well, the statement that Klei has been "phasing downsides out" is factually untrue. With the exception of Willow and; to a lesser extent; Wendy and Wolfgang. Every character has had their downsides either untouched or actually made worse.

Winona: Got a downside

Wormwood: Untouched, still can't heal with food; though RWYS did bring him some more options for healing.

Warly: Can no longer eat non-crockpot foods at all

Woodie: untouched, still turns on full moons

Wendy: Untouched; though the petal boost from Abigail kind of ruins it

Wigfrid: Untouched, still a carnivore

Wes: Stats reduced from 113/113/150 too 75/75/75, more susceptible too freezing and overheating, takes longer to recover from grogginess, slower tool usage.

Webber: Untouched, Still a monster and no way to blend in with pigs and the like

Wolfgang: Greatly reduced hunger drain, but his sanity penalties where made more severe. 

WX-78: Takes more damage from wetness and loses charge from doing so.

Wickerbottom, the character literally being "refreshed" right now: No longer gains any HP or Sanity from stale food; along with only a third of the hunger. Can't eat spoiled food at all.

I'm sorry Mike, but what you claim is blatently untrue. Klei is very much not phasing out character downsides, no matter how you cut it.

35 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Wormwood: Untouched

Wormwood's fire downside was also changed to be more multiplayer friendly when ported over.

I still miss catching on fire from cooking at a campfire, hehe...

2 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Wormwood's fire downside was also changed to be more multiplayer friendly when ported over.

I still miss catching on fire from cooking at a campfire, hehe...

Or right, forgot about that. 

Well, the healing thing still stands atleast.

2 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

Wormwood: Untouched, still can't heal with food; though RWYS did bring him some more options for healing.

Don't forget about Sanity loss from killing plants! It is super unique and is both a blessing and a curse simultaneously. Something I think all characters could benefit from. (The Blessing&Curse not the plant sanity thing)

On 7/14/2022 at 5:08 PM, Mike23Ua said:

I am 125% certain that Wickers books will no longer be readable by Maxwell when his rework comes, & I would explain that lore wise by him being so obsessed with the Codex Umbra that he has no desire to read any other book.. now what the Codex Umbra is capable of… would be a discussion for when he finally gets his own Rework- but for now: Characters (including Maxwell) should not be able to use Wickers books besides for minor or highly ineffective purposes..

such as Wurt commenting “Glorp word too hard to read I need Book lady to read for me Florp!”

or Maxwell saying “I have the only book I care to read right here and I DARE you to try and pry it from my hands..”

...Lore wise, this makes absolutely no sense... Wurt loves to read Wickerbottom's books, even if the words are hard and she doesn't understand their impact or even exactly what the story says. I believe this is core to Wurt's character, as someone who desires to learn with a vast curiosity that only seems to grow as her world does.

Maxwell understands magic at a deep level, so of course he is able to understand and read Wickerbottom's books... but, he does say that birds of the world is "a wasteful misuse of magic"

On 7/15/2022 at 11:04 PM, Snugrugbug said:

papyrus

wurt also needs reeds guys, you forgot about her!!! She needs the equivalent of one papyrus per house, and one reed per disguise and marsh turf!!

;) 

Archived