How would you change combat as a whole, if you could?

3 hours ago, Canis said:

Kiting in DST feels repetitive, as it just devolves to "Hit X times, back up, repeat". If most mobs moved forward when they attack however, this would force players to use something else. That's where a new dodge mechanic would come in. Essentially, you could tap a key to move to the side, gaining I-Frames, at the cost of a cooldown period where your character catches their breath

Hit enemy x times then press button bad. Pls replace it with hit enemy x times then press button. 

the combat system should work differently for sure, i like what some suggested about damage types and what not, specially considering we have electric and fire damage, and three set of ranges, whip, range and melee.

there is so much room to improve on the mechanics, and forge with the blocking and spells system made it clear it can be done

for one, range attacks should be directional

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

Hit enemy x times then press button bad. Pls replace it with hit enemy x times then press button. 

I like how you left out me talking about how changing how kiting works would open up more intricate fighting patterns.

I wouldn't change anything really, I like it the way it is, most of the fun I have while fighting bosses is using strategies to avoid their attacks while learning the right time to attack them.

Though, I would say that the game almost forces the player to rely solely on melee weapons because ranged weapons are either mediocre or bad with their low damage and/or high material cost.

Some say that mechanics from the fight in the Forge should be added but I don't agree with that, the Forge is it's own thing and the event was designed to be solely about being a fighting game, same how the Gorge is all about a cooking game but having to add all the process to make a dish in the base game would be quite annoying.

I would add a way to do a preemptive strike that way you could attack mobs "walking" into your swing.

On top of that I'd make it so you counter mobs that charge or lunge by hitting them as they approach. Making combat faster and providing a new approach to combat instead of dodging.

6 hours ago, Canis said:

Weapon Type
Very simple. Some may argue that this is not needed at all, but I view it as a way to force variety into the meta. In short, there are three damage types: Slashing, Piercing, Bludgeoning (Yes, I play D&D.)

because this kind of mechanic valheim sucks

One thing I would like to change about combat is the animations, it's kinda boring that every weapon has exactly the same attack animations.

I think it would look much better if the Axes had chopping animation, pickaxes mining, spears stabbing, etc.

just like the forge is fine, more weapons, more actions

each mob could has weakness to specific weapon type (not for extra damage but to make them staggered, dazed or exhausted) but not too extreme

and actually not needs complex numbers in this game, it ain't MOBA

1 hour ago, BeeClops said:

I would put targeting walls on very low priority. Maybe one day we will stop fighting walls

This is a player problem not a dev problem... Control + F is for noobs, just press F to fight aggressive mobs like a pro  :wilson_cool:

2 hours ago, Gashzer said:

This is a player problem not a dev problem... Control + F is for noobs, just press F to fight aggressive mobs like a pro  :wilson_cool:

I am playing on console lol :) there's only 1 attack button

2 hours ago, Gashzer said:

using only F is for noobs... you should switch between F and ctrl+F depending of the distance and aggro plus sometimes you wanna kill a non agresive mob near walls or snurtle mounds

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

using only F is for noobs... you should switch between F and ctrl+F depending of the distance and aggro plus sometimes you wanna kill a non agresive mob near walls or snurtle mounds

Using only F and control + F is actually for super noobs....  You forgot using mouse to click or control + click on far away mobs or mobs close to walls or snurtle mounds for that 360 noscope slingshot action :wilson_cool:

1 hour ago, BeeClops said:

I am playing on console lol :) there's only 1 attack button

You peasant, you don't deserve any pity from us PC kings :wilson_cool:

43 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

Using only F and control + F is actually for super noobs....  You forgot using mouse to click or control + click on far away mobs or mobs close to walls or snurtle mounds for that 360 noscope slingshot action :wilson_cool:

You peasant, you don't deserve any pity from us PC kings :wilson_cool:

i see, in the middle of a crowd of enemies your character will walk into them to keep hitting the same one was hitting before

Adding Poise system to player: Able to swing at your enemies while getting hit. Getting stunlocked by mob of monsters is no fun or fair when you play alone or/and if you are not character which designed to counter minion spam (looking at wendy mains)

1 hour ago, Icy Shield said:

Adding Poise system to player: Able to swing at your enemies while getting hit. Getting stunlocked by mob of monsters is no fun or fair when you play alone or/and if you are not character which designed to counter minion spam (looking at wendy mains)

that's where you learn klei intended you to make use of freezing and sleeping.

Personally i find it fine as it is, you are mostly using ingeniuty to fight as your survivers aren't spartan fighters they are mostly surviving day by day with the basic resources they have, the only thing i would change is the animation of spears to actually thrust and swords to slash the whip is fine but range weapons feel gimmiky and costly at times but its fine overall i perfer having more creatives ways of fighting then actually relying my mechanical skill, thinking out of the box is what always apealed me about the game.

13 hours ago, Canis said:

I like how you left out me talking about how changing how kiting works would open up more intricate fighting patterns.

Because it's nonsense. Those "intricate kiting patterns" can be done whether you press d to move away with a certain timing or press x to gain iframes with a certain timing. You can't just say something would happen because of something else and make it true.

Fundamentally there is no difference between how it works now and what you proposed except for timing the iframe button requiring less effort than timing the movement button + being in the proper position + accounting for the time it will actually take to get out of the attack's range. Your idea does not open anything up and is just a simpler, easier, and more generic version of the current system.

That whole "enemy moves forward as they attack" thing is already on dfly and it makes dodging her attacks much more engaging because of it. If everyone could just iframe instead of need to actually dodge attacks then she would become exactly the same as a single beefalo. You are suggesting to remove ways to make fights more engaging and just dumb everything down to "wait for this long then press button". No need for positioning. No need for accounting for movement speed, enemy reach, or enemy movement. No need for anything except "hitbox here, press button".

In the current game there are so many situations where you have a variety of options to tackle the obstacle. SCP can be handled with mobs, high MS, Abigail tech, soul hop, backstep watch, lazy deserter, and more. If there was a dodge button you'd press dodge. Dragonfly requires proper spacing and depending on MS can even have people doing half steps to help dodge, and when she reengages you can avoid the hit with a properly timed ice staff, anything in the SCP list, or briefly swap to heavy armor like a marble or snurtle suit. If there was a dodge button you'd press dodge. Dodging BQ is one of the most fun things in the game since you have to circle around and avoid the honey in a specific way. If there was a dodge button you'd press dodge. A dodge button does the opposite of make combat complicated, it heavily simplifies it. 

I'd rework some bosses and maybe make some kiting patterns of weak mobs more unique, also giving each weapon an action by right and then left clicking like in forge, I always had an idea for throwing both spears, blocking with thulecite club (after that forge skin). More dynamic gameplay that rewards you when you do choose to use those mechanics while not punishing those who don't are amazing and would spice up the combat that doesn't need that many changes to begin with.

Oh, and I would buff the trident's durability and damage (at least on sea). Trident in SW has 102 damage.

and the DST one is tedious to craft since it's completely down to RNG with the gnarwails...

3 hours ago, Icy Shield said:

you can sinc enemies or use crowd control. The game has a lot of tools but what i see are suggestions to make every piece of content be beaten with a weapon and armor which is bland and monotonous 

1 hour ago, RedTheDigitSlay said:

Personally i find it fine as it is, you are mostly using ingeniuty to fight as your survivers aren't spartan fighters they are mostly surviving day by day with the basic resources they have

thiiis

i love that they are simple humans (or monsters but without super duper powers) not ARPG super heroes with aoe skills and powerful spells 

On 7/1/2022 at 3:13 AM, . . . said:

sprinting, shields + blocking + parrying, bow and arrow with manual aiming for proper ranged weapon, being able to attack while moving, attack action now being able to be bound to a key which forces the attack to happen even without a target, and slight aoe on weapons based on their size and type of attack animation.

mods exist for all of these

Archived