Does lag comp off make you move slower?

Title. Whenever I have lag comp off in a bossfight I feel like my character is actually slower, my movement is very sluggish and it throws my timing way off. Is this normal or can I improve this somehow?

you do attack slower, with lag comp on attack delay is 0.5 vs 0.4333-0.4666 with it off

your character also needs to be closer to an enemy to attack it with lag comp enabled despite it looking like they're attacking at max distance from your perspective, this means you need to back out sooner to kite because you need to move more to leave the enemy's attack range

9 hours ago, Guille6785 said:

you do attack slower, with lag comp on attack delay is 0.5 vs 0.4333-0.4666 with it off

your character also needs to be closer to an enemy to attack it with lag comp enabled despite it looking like they're attacking at max distance from your perspective, this means you need to back out sooner to kite because you need to move more to leave the enemy's attack range

Those are some wise words, I didn't know about this! Can you also explain, why you can get multiple hits on shadow creatures only if lag comp is off?

6 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

Those are some wise words, I didn't know about this! Can you also explain, why you can get multiple hits on shadow creatures only if lag comp is off?

I'm pretty sure the last hit (after the shadow creature teleports away) happens because its hurtbox remains for a fraction of a second and can still be attacked, however the only way to land that last hit in is if you attack fast enough (0.4333) so having lag comp enabled (0.5) or naturally slow attack speed with lag comp disabled (0.4666 and dependent on rng) will both make you unable to hit it in time

As an Xbox player, I question what lag compensation even does.. and WHY if the developers state for a smoother gameplay experience that It should be disabled.. why it isn’t Off by default?

I also recall sometime back ago Klei discussing something about wanting to move the game to a newer game engine where Lag Compensation would no longer be required.

I am going to assume we will possibly see that newer engine around the time Klei makes our skins/dlc characters useable in Offline play.

But for now… Lag Comp is something I immediately turn off with my Xbox settings, and when I tell my friends to do the same- they ask me “uhhh why?” 

And sadly- I don’t have the answer to that question because if the Developers of the game itself says to disable the function: then I have no idea what it’s purpose even is/was meant to be.

On 6/22/2022 at 4:39 PM, Mike23Ua said:

As an Xbox player, I question what lag compensation even does.. and WHY if the developers state for a smoother gameplay experience that It should be disabled.. why it isn’t Off by default?

If lag compensation is disabled your third eye will open and you will see reality for what it is. You have input delay equal to your ping to the server (not sure exactly how it works on the technical side) but everything you do is done as you see it be done. If you enable lag compensation then everything you do will instantly be done on your screen, but obviously it isn't actually happening yet. In a best case scenario this leads to a desync of where you see yourself and where you actually are equal to your ping, but it also lets you act even when the server is frozen (such as during save lag) which makes a worst case scenario where you can see yourself as being multiple screens away from where you actually are.

For a cracked gamer such as myself we can instantly identity exactly what lag comp is and that we should turn it off only by inputting any button for a single frame. But every time I see people play games in real life they play them in a weird way that makes me sad. They kind of just push buttons and don't think about anything and can repeat clearly incorrect things over and over. For them lag comp might be an improvement since they might notice input lag but noticing you're desynced is harder. I've even seen people have lag comp explained to them but still choose to keep it on because they don't like the input delay. 

On 6/22/2022 at 2:17 AM, Guille6785 said:

I'm bringing this thread back because it's related but it's driving me up the wall and I am at my wits end. I have been trying on and off to practice dragonfly for days. I am playing with lag comp off. Hit six times and dodge does not work half of the time. My swings tend to "hang" in the air sometimes or come out with severe lag. Sometimes I can hit her 7 times, sometimes not even five before I have to dodge. Every video I watch these people hit the dfly consistently and dodge at six hits almost every single time. It's making me so incredibly frustrating. My internet is good and I'm literally hosting the server. There's no reason why it should be this bad.

46 minutes ago, medabunny said:

I'm bringing this thread back because it's related but it's driving me up the wall and I am at my wits end. I have been trying on and off to practice dragonfly for days. I am playing with lag comp off. Hit six times and dodge does not work half of the time. My swings tend to "hang" in the air sometimes or come out with severe lag. Sometimes I can hit her 7 times, sometimes not even five before I have to dodge. Every video I watch these people hit the dfly consistently and dodge at six hits almost every single time. It's making me so incredibly frustrating. My internet is good and I'm literally hosting the server. There's no reason why it should be this bad.

sounds like you don't own an air fryer

1 hour ago, medabunny said:

Are you using the road? 

3 hours ago, medabunny said:

I have been trying on and off to practice dragonfly for days. I am playing with lag comp off. Hit six times and dodge does not work half of the time. My swings tend to "hang" in the air sometimes or come out with severe lag. Sometimes I can hit her 7 times, sometimes not even five before I have to dodge. Every video I watch these people hit the dfly consistently and dodge at six hits almost every single time. It's making me so incredibly frustrating. My internet is good and I'm literally hosting the server. There's no reason why it should be this bad.

I don't believe turning lag comp off will suddenly make the fight easier. It's dragonfly that's weird.

You haven't really given much info on what you've tried or what you're doing so I'm going to assume a lot of things. See because dragonfly moves while attacking it changes how you fight her. This means that following any "constantly hit 6 times and then dodge" advice should go out the window because it's not always true.

Think of when dragonfly attacks as a timer that goes off. Getting 6 hits requires you to be incredibly precise with this timer and even something as simple as getting hit will make dodging impossible as you get stunlocked for like half a second after getting hit. In other words, you should change how many times you attack dragonfly depending on whether or not you got hit. 

If you get hit while on top of dragonfly, its safe to go for 7 hits before dodging.

If you get hit while almost out of her range. Go for 5. 

If you don't get hit then you can easily get 6 consistently. Its when dragonfly attacks you that I'm guessing your timing get's thrown off. Of course if your not on a road (or don't have some other speed boost) go for 5 because you won't be able to do 6 without the extra speed

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wait.. people can DODGE dragonfly’s attacks? I always just put on a ton of marble armor and tank all it’s damage.

you can kite every mob and boss in the game. Some of them needs a lot of speed or being so precise like DF but i dont think there is an enemy you cant kite

you can kite df if you move when she is about to land the hit so she doesnt follow you while atacking which is the time requiered to land 6'something hits if you use a walking cane

8 hours ago, Ornge said:

You haven't really given much info on what you've tried or what you're doing so I'm going to assume a lot of things. See because dragonfly moves while attacking it changes how you fight her. This means that following any "constantly hit 6 times and then dodge" advice should go out the window because it's not always true.

Attacking six  or seven times and then moving back. That's all I'm trying to do. The main issue is that my attacks literally lag, sometimes there's a significant delay, the animation will just stop during the swing sometimes and the actual hit itself is then delayed so I cannot get consistent timing.

Archived