[Suggestion] Allow Grass Boat To Evolve To Boat

Edit: in emergency or special cases, players will want to build structures on grass boats. And many times, players will want to reuse those boats, which is not possible because they are passively leaking.

I suggest game should allow grass boats to be upgraded to regular boats so that those grass boats and the structures that are already on them can be reused.

Below is a demo of how it would look like after being added 1, 2, 3 and 4 boards on a grass boat. (My art is bad)

1017019216_Screenshot(266).thumb.png.1bb5069dc0aed27d1f14e84b5b9b245e.png

Other discussion

Is it fair to build boat this way without think tank? I think yes, because it's not as convenient as regular crafting, and has extra cost of the initial grass boat.

It allows players to confidently and comfortably add structures on a grass boat, knowing they have the option of keeping it permanently.

Other details

1. The original grass boat should receive extra crashing damage because it's not sturdy.

2. Each extra board added reduces the amount of extra crashing damage.

3. Each extra board slows down the leaking rate, and partially repairs the boat's lost health.

4. Grass boats stop passive leaking after receiving 3 boards, and start to be susceptible to crash leaking, which requires boat patches to repair. They also stop receiving extra crashing damage because it's sturdy enough.

5. Grass boats become boats with a size increase after receiving 4 boards. (This step can be ignored if one wants a smaller size boat).

8 minutes ago, Just-guy said:

Why not just make a normal Boat then?

Grass Boats aren't supposed to carry structures, their use is to be cheap/disposable boats to travel around the ocean.

But grass boats are still disposable under my suggestions.

You say grass boats "aren't supposed to carry structures", but they are capable of that. I can think of many scenarios where people build a grass boat which they later want to keep permanently. It's just a nice option. And it makes sense.

22 minutes ago, goatt said:

Pretty Straight-forward, I think it makes sense to use a grass boat as skeleton and add wood planks to make it a better boat.

Edit: the original grass boat is still disposable.

Below is a demo of how it would look like after being added 1, 2, 3 and 4 boards on a grass boat. (My art is bad)

1017019216_Screenshot(266).thumb.png.1bb5069dc0aed27d1f14e84b5b9b245e.png

Other discussion

Is it fair to build boat this way without think tank? I think yes, because it's not as convenient as regular crafting, and has extra cost of the initial grass boat.

It allows players to confidently and comfortably add structures on a grass boat, knowing they have the option of keeping it permanently.

Other details

1. The original grass boat should receive extra crashing damage because it's not sturdy.

2. Each extra board added reduces the amount of extra crashing damage.

3. Each extra board slows down the leaking rate, and partially repairs the boat's lost health.

4. Grass boats stop passive leaking after receiving 3 boards, and start to be susceptible to crash leaking, which requires boat patches to repair. They also stop receiving extra crashing damage because it's sturdy enough.

5. Grass boats become boats with a size increase after receiving 4 boards. (This step can be ignored if one wants a smaller size boat).

Honestly, I think I'm going to have to disagree with this idea.

Sure, it would be more expensive than crafting the regular boat from the get-go, but the price difference isn't even that steep, considering you only need a couple initial twigs and grass to bypass what is essentially 8-planks worth of resources. You need to remember that to actually be able to craft the regular boat, you still need to build a think-thank which also costs another 4 planks, not to mention having to craft a science machine as well to be able to prototype the building.

That means to be able to build a log boat, at worst you'll only require to craft a science machine and at best if you just break two pig/merm houses, completely available from the start.

1 hour ago, goatt said:

You say grass boats "aren't supposed to carry structures", but they are capable of that. I can think of many scenarios where people build a grass boat which they later want to keep permanently.

The scenarios where somebody would want to keep a Grass Boat would only happen if the player builds something on it but that is discouraged due to the small size of the boat and the health loss over time, the inability to have leaks would be a minimal upside and would just be removed if it was possible to upgrade with your concept. A normal Boat is better to put buildings on.

@Just-guy @HumanBean150 @Valak

It seems no one understood the use case. I did not try to make grass boats on par with wood boats.

Imagine, you are sailing on grass boats.

1. ... then accidentally you found salt formation. You realize it's a long way from your base, and might as well just mine them. How to mine them? You decided you want to use bumpers and rudders. Everything is smooth. You sail back to the nearest shore, thinking, "I wish I can keep this boat, since it's got what I needed for the next salt mining and it would be a shame that I had to rebuild a wooden boat and everything on it."

2. ... then accidentally found Maltraboss. You are well equipped for fight, but what you have at the moment is just a grass boat. You decided to just install an anchor and fight the boss because base is far and it just makes sense. After the fight, you sail back to the nearest shore, thinking, "I wish I can keep this boat, since it's got what I needed for the next maltraboss fight."

3. ... then accidentally found water logged. You have a pincher pre-built, etc. etc. thinking, "I wish ..."

4. ... unexpectedly night, hunger, need to cook food, firepit

5. ... unexpectedly hot summer, pre-built endo-thermal fire pit

6. ... accidentally got rare fish, need to keep them alive for longer so that sailing can continue

7. 8. 9.

(Note all those examples are relatively early game or less prepared situations, that's why a grass boat was used rather than wooden boat)

That's what I mean by "It allows players to confidently and comfortably add structures on a grass boat, knowing they have the option of keeping it permanently."

Plus, in case no one has noticed, a wooden boat upgraded from a grass boat can be smaller than regular wooden boats.

I am convinced the grass boat was added to the game because in a future update Klei intends for us to do A LOT of sailing around the game.. as in- that big branch where every biome is clustered together? Yeah… that has no excuse at all NOT to be broken apart into an Archipelago of Islands now.

The Grass Boat will serve its purpose same as a Bamboo boat in the Shipwrecked DLC did- You use them to travel from island to island to gather resources to craft the better boats for longer journeys across the ocean.

And the entire reason those cheaper boats were in the game at all when it came to Shipwrecked: Was so that the player never ended up stranded on an Island without at least the “Chance” to build a emergency raft to get to another island hopefully one with better resources to make a better boat.

With these new cheaper disposable boats.. I’m willing to bet the world is about to be broken up into SW style archipelagos 

And now with these cheaper boats existing..? There’s literally no excuse left for Klei not to.

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I am convinced the grass boat was added to the game because in a future update Klei intends for us to do A LOT of sailing around the game.. as in- that big branch where every biome is clustered together? Yeah… that has no excuse at all NOT to be broken apart into an Archipelago of Islands now.

The Grass Boat will serve its purpose same as a Bamboo boat in the Shipwrecked DLC did- You use them to travel from island to island to gather resources to craft the better boats for longer journeys across the ocean.

And the entire reason those cheaper boats were in the game at all when it came to Shipwrecked: Was so that the player never ended up stranded on an Island without at least the “Chance” to build a emergency raft to get to another island hopefully one with better resources to make a better boat.

With these new cheaper disposable boats.. I’m willing to bet the world is about to be broken up into SW style archipelagos 

And now with these cheaper boats existing..? There’s literally no excuse left for Klei not to.

no

1 hour ago, goatt said:

There a better alternatives in those emergengy scenarios with what there already is.

1. Just crash into them, Rudders and Bumpers aren't necessary.

2. After the fight, go to the nearest land and craft a Hammer and hammer the Anchor to save resources,

3. Collect the Knobbly Tree Nut with the Pinchin' Winch and return to land to hammer the Pinchin' Winch to save resources.

4./5./6. Again, use a Hammer to save resources after the emergency has passed.

After an emergency you know those structures will no longer be useful so best you can do is save at most resources as possible.

1 hour ago, goatt said:

Plus, in case no one has noticed, a wooden boat upgraded from a grass boat can be smaller than regular wooden boats.

Why would you build structures on a smaller boat where you can build less than in a normal one?

51 minutes ago, Just-guy said:

After an emergency you know those structures will no longer be useful so best you can do is save at most resources as possible.

Exactly. That’s where my suggestion comes in. And that’s what I meant by “comfortably and confidently knowing you can keep them permanently”.

Btw, you can still do you, no one stops you from hammering everything and abandoning the grass boat.

The question is, why do you have to stop me from getting what I want? What can invalidate my suggestion if it doesn’t affect you?

51 minutes ago, Just-guy said:

Why would you build structures on a smaller boat where you can build less than in a normal one?

An obvious reason, planting ocean nut trees in smaller rivers. A reusable smaller boat is good for planting multiple trees. Why plant trees in rivers? But river has largest land area for basing.

3 hours ago, goatt said:

I wish I can keep this boat, since it's got what I needed for the next salt mining and it would be a shame that I had to rebuild a wooden boat and everything on it."

This is the price you have to pay with grass boats. They are not designed for doing tasks which require boat structures. You are asking for the major downside of the grass boat to be removed, and for regular boats to become irrelevant.

1 hour ago, goatt said:

The question is, why do you have to stop me from getting what I want? What can invalidate my suggestion if it doesn’t affect you?

Your suggestion not directly impacting people does not invalidate their criticisms. Even if it doesn’t effect me, it’s still a bad idea.

1 hour ago, goblinball said:

This is the price you have to pay with grass boats... You are asking for the major downside of the grass boat to be removed, and for regular boats to become irrelevant.

I totally agree. And I suggest it's not a price that has to pay.

The major downsides of the boats are leaking. Am I suggesting this downside to be removed? Obviously No. I'm merely asking to build a new boat and scoop an existing grass boat and becomes the foundation of it. Essentially, it's not making wooden boat any less relevant. It only makes the original crafting method of crafting wooden boat a little less relevant. Because, obviously, in the end, you still need a wooden boat and you have one.

1 hour ago, goblinball said:

Even if it doesn’t effect me, it’s still a bad idea.

I'm waiting for comments that can show me the reasons.

I don't think is a bad Idea but I think it's too cheap, maybe to start the process of upgrading a boat it must have at least 60% durability and require 8 boards in total to upgrade the boat. But if the cost is increased like this you might as well just make another boat, another thing is that we can have scienceless boats by killing a pirate Captain 

5 hours ago, goatt said:

@Just-guy @HumanBean150 @Valak

It seems no one understood the use case. I did not try to make grass boats on par with wood boats.

1. ... then accidentally you found salt formation. You realize it's a long way from your base, and might as well just mine them. How to mine them? You decided you want to use bumpers and rudders. Everything is smooth. You sail back to the nearest shore, thinking, "I wish I can keep this boat, since it's got what I needed for the next salt mining and it would be a shame that I had to rebuild a wooden boat and everything on it."

2. ... then accidentally found Maltraboss. You are well equipped for fight, but what you have at the moment is just a grass boat. You decided to just install an anchor and fight the boss because base is far and it just makes sense. After the fight, you sail back to the nearest shore, thinking, "I wish I can keep this boat, since it's got what I needed for the next maltraboss fight."

3. ... then accidentally found water logged. You have a pincher pre-built, etc. etc. thinking, "I wish ..."

4. ... unexpectedly night, hunger, need to cook food, firepit

5. ... unexpectedly hot summer, pre-built endo-thermal fire pit

6. ... accidentally got rare fish, need to keep them alive for longer so that sailing can continue

7. 8. 9.

(Note all those examples are relatively early game or less prepared situations, that's why a grass boat was used rather than wooden boat)

That's what I mean by "It allows players to confidently and comfortably add structures on a grass boat, knowing they have the option of keeping it permanently."

Or you could just, y'know. Use an actual boat?

Grass boats are great early game for getting out on the water, and frankly I don't see why they should be anything else. They're cheap, They're convineint, and they constantly decay. 

I feel like it would be simplier if it still required you to make an entire boat kit but gave you the option to click the boat kit onto a grass raft. It would upgrade the grass raft into a regular boat and keep everything that was on it but be more expensive than building a regular boat by itself.

1 hour ago, SpookyXy said:

I feel like it would be simplier if it still required you to make an entire boat kit but gave you the option to click the boat kit onto a grass raft.

That's true. I wanted to give the process a natural feeling (like installing fossil). But I think your suggestion would simplify the process and make the goal (of upgrading) more clear and intentional.

Archived