It's Wilbur's time to shine!

The suggestion is simple: Rework Wilbur into DST as the third character to join the DST crew after spending some time being exclusive to the singleplayer prequel game and its sequels. Perhaps not alongside the Curse of the Moon Quay update but right after its release, the time will be right and ripe for Wilbur's glorious entrance to the DST constant.

Some might think it's redundant after the curse of Wonkey coming with this update. But I think the opposite is true, there is all the more reason to have our already established monkey character to finally be a part of the mainline DST story and his potential is infinite regarding all the new ways of interacting with various monkey species and bananas. Wilbur may very well serve as the pallbearer for the upcoming monkey related lore in DST. The addition of any character is much more than the single option for a new playable entity; it expands the lore and the story around itself and its relatives. Thus if there is an actual character to tie in these rather remote new entities into the mainline story, Wilbur is the ultimate candidate for that. 

Now I imagine he wouldn't be designed like a mob based character like Webber and Wurt but rather an individual character of his own with quadped mechanics that happens to relate and be peaceful with a particular species. Addition to DST opens the potential for all sorts of quotes and dialogue to be written for him but as a benefit of playing around with the multiplayer, all his quotes would appear as OOOH AAAH as non-monkey characters, as he and other players playing as or cursed as a monkey character would able to display his quotes. He would be peaceful and would have special interactions with spelumonkeys, quay monkeys and raiding pirate monkeys. He would be immune to the monkey curse of the Quay as he is a monkey.

2 minutes ago, Terra B Welch said:

Tbh I would rather have Wilbur than Great Value Wilbur, considering Great Value Wilbur can be forced upon the player...

I feel like this is what makes great value Wilbur more special it's a problem the game throws at you that can't be solved by beating it into submission.

Island Adventures Mod has some ideas for Wilbur. If they add him. The main idea agreed apun is to make him a farming type minion character. Where he can build monkey huts that help gather items in a fixed location.

Other idea was to make him be able to become Shadow Wilbur on low sanity or be in the ruins during nightmare cycle.

So many possibilities can be made for Wilbur.

16 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I feel like this is what makes great value Wilbur more special it's a problem the game throws at you that can't be solved by beating it into submission.

Instead it's solved by wasting your time going to an island to give some monkey queen bananas, but I'm sure tedious is special to you.

2 hours ago, Terra B Welch said:

Tbh I would rather have Wilbur than Great Value Wilbur, considering Great Value Wilbur can be forced upon the player...

Why do you call it "Great Value Wilbur" ?

Anyways i wish Wonkey was its own character rather than a curse but oh well :<

2 hours ago, Terra B Welch said:

Instead it's solved by wasting your time going to an island to give some monkey queen bananas, but I'm sure tedious is special to you.

Do you just hate a game inconveniencing you at any turn do you just prefer it does everything when and where you want it to? Like where's the fun in that for a survival game?

2 hours ago, ALCRD said:

Me too, I also wish Wonkey was its own character even if through a curse, doesn't need to be one of the best, but one that is cool to play as, with his own Monkey related perks that isn't just running.

2 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Do you just hate a game inconveniencing you at any turn do you just prefer it does everything when and where you want it to? Like where's the fun in that for a survival game?

Theres a fine line between difficulty and tedium... -_-

2 hours ago, ALCRD said:

What else do I call it? WIlbur at home? Budget Wilbur?
I do agree on Wonkey being its own character rather than a curse...
I don't see Wonkey as a hard character to play, just not an interesting one to play, and having to go back to the monkey queen every time RNG says "it's monkey time" is more annoying than difficult...

I've always prefered Warly's playstyle, as I find it more interesting then spamming the same old food items over and over again, as Wonkey I'm just back to that same old food item spamming again.

28 minutes ago, Terra B Welch said:

What else do I call it? WIlbur at home? Budget Wilbur?

What does that even mean "Great Value Wilbur" ?

"Budget Wilbur" at least makes some sense.

14 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

What does that even mean "Great Value Wilbur" ?

"Budget Wilbur" at least makes some sense.

Great value is walmarts brand, its known for often being a knock off thats cheaper. calling something “great value” is calling them budget

3 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

Great value is walmarts brand, its known for often being a knock off thats cheaper. calling something “great value” is calling them budget

Oh. I don't have Walmarts in my area or even heard the term.

To me "great value" is just that implying something has great value. Hence the confusion.

3 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Having played Ark for near about 7 years, I can say with absolute certainty that in my starting days way back in beta where just trying to spawn into the game pretty much meant instant death- it frustrates the hell out of me like you would not believe, and even to this very day I feel like the game can at times be a little too unforgiving on players who are just starting out.. always dying till they level up and build a house or whatever- it’s Boring.

DST and DS and all it’s DLC’s are not that type of game, you get a few days to gather resources and build before at the very least- a Hound Wave arrives.. I LOVED how Hamlet felt so happy and cheerful and full of cute little animal life and then after awhile all hell breaks loose.

Unlike Ark where just spawning into the world could be instant death- DS/DST actually gives you a chance.

Does that make DS/DST any less survival games? Absolutely not..

And I’m loving a lot of what I hear about the curse of Moon Quay Bay beta..

Mobs that steal your loot like Pog from Hamlet? Yes!

Cool new Moon Quay curse? Awesome.

This is survival content, this is the kind of stuff I wanted to see more of..

And if people don’t like pirate raids or curses I’m sure those can be turned off by idk disabling the Moon Quay Queen or something..

Unfortunately as an Xbox player I can’t be in Beta… but from what I watch/read about it- This should have been a Return of Them worthy Update…

“Setting the Stage” update my monkey butt.. this looks and sounds Awesome, and if this is what a Setting the Stage update looks like- I’m thrilled that Klei still has 2 more planned in the current roadmap.

And like I said- Ark literally doesn’t even give the player a CHANCE at all.. at any time whatsoever, at least with DST you have some lead way to build and prepare for the challenges you set out toward.

And unlike Ark: Any feature you don’t like can mostly be toggled to less or off.

1 hour ago, Terra B Welch said:

Theres a fine line between difficulty and tedium... -_-

From what I've seen the reception is fairly positive for it and even then couldn't you just avoid that content if you don't like it as soon as you locate the island or maybe prepare more peaceful solutions like putting them to sleep or fleeing when they appear?

3 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

From what I've seen the reception is fairly positive for it and even then couldn't you just avoid that content if you don't like it as soon as you locate the island or maybe prepare more peaceful solutions like putting them to sleep or fleeing when they appear?

I literally plan to set monkey raids to none when the update hits purely out of the fact I hate the monkey curse, I don't find Wonkey an interesting character to play and forcing me to play the character would be like forcing me to play Wickerbottom, Wolfgang or WX(a few characters who I do not enjoy playing as).

I enjoy playing as Warly or as a character with Warly's downsides of having to food cycle, I dislike the idea of having those restrictions suddenly interrupted by some monkey curse.

5 minutes ago, Terra B Welch said:

I enjoy playing as Warly or as a character with Warly's downsides of having to food cycle, I dislike the idea of having those restrictions suddenly interrupted by some monkey curse.

i hate to be this way, but have you entertained the possibility of simply allowing wonkey to be included in the warly downsides, if you cannot bear to play without it? To my knowledge, there are absolutely mods that allow all characters to have the same bland food downside,  I don't... see why this would be different with wonkey.

If he WAS to be added, he should have interactions with all monkeys (not hiring them, just trading and overall being neutral) and also should buff every player who is experiencing new perspectives on life.

12 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

snip

This, it makes the game difficult but fun, you shouldn't just rush the ocean without any armor or weapons, if you want that, choose woodie, I love everything about the beta, except the cannons and some of the loot from the treasures, I still like some of the random things like trees being planted from the X marks the spots.

Before the update hit Beta, the teaser really made me hope for WIlbur to at least come back as an NPC of some sort as it could be interesting to see the DS exclusive characters come back in a non-playable appearance to further differentiate their stories from that of the DST survivors.

I have some ideas for my beloved Wilbur:

Old perk to keep: Can run ON FOUR LEGS, throw poop

New perk to add:

1-    Poop when eat fruit

2-    Jump into Trees, harvest EXTRA fruits on trees that have fruit without, having to chop down the tree, hide from agro mobs (like when you use bush hat), can dodge attack like Wheeler (monkey is fast so can dodge). Can jump into & between nearby tree (like The Tiddler’s char: Warfarin - The Tricky Thief), gain sanity when stay in forest biome.
image.png.c0836861e80d166272403788092dc738.png

3-    Can now talk simple word about coming event, not much but still can (like Caesar in Planet of the Apes series)

4-    Can plant Banana on the surface, gain sanity when eat banana.

5-    Start Losing sanity when hungry <50% (like normal animal), gain sanity when throw poop at other, those was thrown at loose sanity.

6-    Can throw many things else not just manure, like rock, spear, axe, pickaxe… and deal some damage.

7-    All kind of ape (Splumonkey, Shadow Splumonkey, Spider Monkey, Prime Ape) don’t agro on Wilbur, can craft Prime Ape Hut which will spawn Prime Ape which will follow him with a price (1 banana each).

8-    From @Mike23Ua, Wilbur’s tail could be reserved as a utility Slot.. meaning a new slot so he can hold a torch, lantern or Walking Cane with his tail (like when he running) while doing stuff like chopping a tree with an Axe or fighting….

9-    Turn into giant Boarilla (From the Forge) (Oozaru Great ape in Dragonball, or King Kong) when full moon, when in this form Wilbur can do Bearger's slam (help bring down multiple trees), smash rocks like one hit, tank boss….
image.png.28c16b7dea57c00b67341dda67f5af01.png

Giant Boarilla Status: Health: 1000, Dmg: 100/hit, everythings (Skill, movement speed…) same as the original Boarilla from The Forge event:

Can throw players with attack.

Can hide behind shield to block all damage.

Can initiate a roll attack that rolls over anything in its path.

Can leap a long distance.
P/s: until this point, maybe just have a modder create this would be faster than waiting for Klei to do this
P/s 2: hate to say this but i don't think Wilbur will come to DST, since Klei rather turn everyone into a monkey than just simply rework Wilbur.

Archived