Remove the frazzled wire cost from magnets.

It is in my firm belief that trinkets should never be used in crafting.

rubber bungs and sporks can be used for ocean fishing. But that's different because there are better and other options.

marbles can be used in Walter's slingshot but there are better and easier to get options.

but with a crafting recipe you are stuck with rng. Unless you go the the ruins and mass collect wires, graves and tumble weeds are the only way to get more frazzled wires. I don't want to be that guy, but they feel like modded recipes. Trinkets should not be used for crafting period.

SO instead why not change the recipe? I love the Nautopilot structure, I think it's a really neat and interesting item, so here's what I think.

The Beacon should be > 2Cut Stone, 1 Doodads, 1 bottle.

The Nautopilot Kit should be > 2 Doodads, 1 gear, 2 boards.

maybe steel wool could be involved? Not saying it should because that's a whole goose chase of its own.

Disagree. I think its cool and very appropriate. More unused materials should be made part of crafting recipes. Going out of ur way for once to collect a specific material is fun instead of everything being made out of wood grass rock gold or their refined forms. 

The magnets r a luxury for advanced sailors. I doubt anyone who is at that point has any trouble going to the ruins. 

It gives a use to trinkets which is something klei has been adding slowly into recipes and gimmicks (Walter sling, fishing) and those are the most common trinket in the entire game, I don't see an issue

54 minutes ago, DajeKotlyar said:

No. You can easily farm lots of wires in ruins. So it's renewable, but uncommon resourse. Why not add it in craft?

People who play caveless worlds, not me, but they exist, And hey would you look at that, the new monkey biome has gears.

59 minutes ago, Ohan said:

More unused materials should be made part of crafting recipes. Going out of ur way for once to collect a specific material is fun instead of everything being made out of wood grass rock gold or their refined forms. 

Steel wool.
2 crafting recipes.
what is your argument here?

:distrust:

It is indeed a trinket, but the presence of ruins gives it a steady stream of access, which makes it more of a resource, and it makes sense to make recipes for it.

However, I support its removal from the recipe because it is a ruins resource, or more specifically, an other kind of Thulecite, which is too valuable for autopilot. Maybe we'll get more access to Frazzled Wires in the future, but that's another story

1 hour ago, DajeKotlyar said:

No. You can easily farm lots of wires in ruins. So it's renewable, but uncommon resourse. Why not add it in craft?

Twins also drop several frazzled wires if one has Caves disabled and wants more of those for a huge Boat Base.

So it's all good.

yea, hard disagree on this one. We'd be having a different story of it were say, the cookie jar or the little robot being used, but the fact that ruins supplies enough frazzled wires for 500+ gold and serves no other purpose thus far, it's a great use for them. As for your no cave world gripe. Frazzled wires can also be gotten through grave digging, tumbleweed searching, twins of terror, and also Oasis fishing. Seems like plenty of options to me already. But if you're still uncomfy, maybe thematically they could add frazzled wires to the drop chance on those mechanical bits on the Moon Quay island (although that might be unnecessary) Or even add it to the sunken treasure loot table if not already in one.

Using trinkets right now feels like an inconsistent decision from Klei, if you think about it, many things should use wires.

Also why do the docks use 4 materials? im not against breaking the 3 max materials rule but it feels so pointless for it having to need stone, that doesnt even make sense.

6 hours ago, WhackE said:

It is in my firm belief that trinkets should never be used in crafting.

rubber bungs and sporks can be used for ocean fishing. But that's different because there are better and other options.

marbles can be used in Walter's slingshot but there are better and easier to get options.

but with a crafting recipe you are stuck with rng. Unless you go the the ruins and mass collect wires, graves and tumble weeds are the only way to get more frazzled wires. I don't want to be that guy, but they feel like modded recipes. Trinkets should not be used for crafting period.

SO instead why not change the recipe? I love the Nautopilot structure, I think it's a really neat and interesting item, so here's what I think.

The Beacon should be > 2Cut Stone, 1 Doodads, 1 bottle.

The Nautopilot Kit should be > 2 Doodads, 1 gear, 2 boards.

maybe steel wool could be involved? Not saying it should because that's a whole goose chase of its own.

Time's are changing, grampa. Trinkets are more than just gold.

5 hours ago, ALCRD said:

Twins also drop several frazzled wires

ohhh, I didn't think of this!! I instantly begin to feel a bit better about the crafting recipe. The nauto pilot is an expensive thing and i respect that, but those ruins can be rather gruelling to get through!

8 hours ago, WhackE said:

I don't want to be that guy, but they feel like modded recipes.

You're being that guy. I think as time goes on, "modded (derogatory)" becomes sillier and sillier. Over the years I've seen it used for purely positive things like characters having interesting perks rather than 1 simple downside 1 simple upside, characters having their own crafting tabs, Wheeler having an inherent speed boost, Wormwood's font, even things as small as characters using parentheses in quotes or saying fish weight in numbers. For some reason there's this weird lingering "mods bad" attitude from back when the game was small and nobody quite got a grasp on the art style, but in the modern day its simply really silly and you're absolutely being that guy.

8 hours ago, WhackE said:

Unless you go the the ruins and mass collect wires

also, I feel like this is a little dishonest. the nauto pilot isn't something that you particularly want dozens of, it'd be easy enough to hammer down a few clockwork piles until you get, like, 4 frazzled wires (2 of each thing, both only require 1 frazzled wire) and then making your leave.

If it was a rare trinket I could understand your point but You can get stacks of wires with 1 trip into the ruins... If you only want a few you can get them in other ways as ppl have mentioned.

If ur concerned with the ruins, you are able to get a few of the wires without triggering any of the clockworks if your careful. I think using wires in a recipe that would only be crafted a few times is a great use for them!

Not everything in this game should be easy. The older DST was sooo much more punishing. Now it's much more new player friendly imo

5 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

Also why do the docks use 4 materials? im not against breaking the 3 max materials rule but it feels so pointless for it having to need stone, that doesnt even make sense.

You can see metal on the docks texture, so it's the same reason the alchemy engine, which is made of bolted metal, needs cut stone. Additionally, the main reason recipes only ever had 3 materials was because it wouldn't look good with the crafting UI, which is no longer an issue due to the crafting UI rework.

On 6/18/2022 at 11:25 AM, WhackE said:

I don't want to be that guy, but they feel like modded recipes.

Not reading the rest after this. Mindsets like this is what deters devs from adding new and somewhat inventive stuff to their games because 'it feels like its from a mod'.

Archived