Heat transfer in Vacuum by conveyor rail

Not sure this is actually a bug, but maybe there's some weird game mechanics at play which I don't understand ... can someone help me understanding this?

Why is this tile leeching heat from the igneous rock on the conveyor rail?

image.thumb.png.55f617bb00aed6b985da7af8dc63a4d7.png

I am operating in a vacuum (no there's no liquid either)

image.thumb.png.c2cc61f2642139a06e5a854b1cf57c3f.png

Heat view - interestingly the airflow tiles are unaffected

image.thumb.png.916e03661f6dbf6a6736bf4f4856d7e2.png

The "why" is because they're treated as debris in whatever tile the conveyor rail items are. So any tile below the rail that would exchange heat with debris... well, it behaves exactly like that, and the transfer happens.

Switching the tile to insulated will help, and as you've observed, I believe airflow tiles (and maybe mesh as well) don't transfer heat via debris at all.

12 hours ago, Red Shark said:

The "why" is because they're treated as debris in whatever tile the conveyor rail items are. So any tile below the rail that would exchange heat with debris... well, it behaves exactly like that, 

Exactly. It may have been like this forever, since the rails appear. At least, as far as I can remember it has always been the case.

I don't see it as a bug by itself, but more like a consequence of a design mechanism. Not sure they can code an "easy" fix without redesigning a lot from rail system, and not sure they would ever do it.

12 hours ago, Red Shark said:

Switching the tile to insulated will help

Though it may need to be tested. I remember a bug the community and I noticed (long time ago indeed) where heat transfer between debris and insulated tile below were speeded up a lot. But I mean, A LOT, faster than most metal tile would do. It messed up a volcano design I made at this time.

I think it has been solved (and I hope to), but a quick test might be relevant.

EDIT: should be fixed. 3 years ago already... wow. It appears that each year I turn another year older (©). Weird mecanism, please, life, slow down !

It happens because even on a rail it is regarded as debris, and debris exchanges heat with the tile it is in if there's any medium to transfer heat into in the tile it is in. And it exchanges heat with the tile the debris is sitting on. The game does not recognise the difference between debris moving on a rail and debris sitting on a tile, it will still exchange heat with the tile below it. Note that this can also have useful uses.

On 6/4/2022 at 9:00 PM, Red Shark said:

The "why" is because they're treated as debris in whatever tile the conveyor rail items are. So any tile below the rail that would exchange heat with debris... well, it behaves exactly like that, and the transfer happens.

Wow I never realized this. I sometimes use rails through metal tiles for quick temperature change, so by this logic, I should run the rails one tile above the metal? Good to know.

1 hour ago, Dread said:

Wow I never realized this. I sometimes use rails through metal tiles for quick temperature change, so by this logic, I should run the rails one tile above the metal? Good to know.

Debris in tiles gets a 200% bonus to heat transfer though.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

Debris in tiles gets a 200% bonus to heat transfer though.

Is there a complete list of these hidden thermal mechanics? A few weeks ago I have read about different multipliers in conductivity that different states get or that buildings get only 1/5 of their Specific Heat Capacity. I would really like to know more.

1 hour ago, Nogard78 said:

Is there a complete list of these hidden thermal mechanics? A few weeks ago I have read about different multipliers in conductivity that different states get or that buildings get only 1/5 of their Specific Heat Capacity. I would really like to know more.

You might want to look into this part of the wiki, which should explain in detail:

https://oxygennotincluded.fandom.com/wiki/Thermal_Conductivity

20 hours ago, Nogard78 said:

I would really like to know more.

Know that the supposed 200% bonus to debris in solid tiles doesn't exist. An urban legend born from poor word choice (mine by the way, ugh), it has metastasized into an unkillable monster. Leading people to advocate stupid contraptions for entombing debris in doors. It is a wonder that people have been claiming this for YEARS, but they have never taken the 5 minutes to actually verify the veracity of their claim.

Archived