Poll: What changes would you like to see for Warly, if any?

Poll: What changes would you like to see for Warly, if any?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see changes to Warly?

• No, the character is perfect already
    • No, the character is fine as is
    • Yes, but only some QoL changes
    • Yes, some new mechanics would be nice
    • Yes, and I would love to see a full rework
  2. 2. Warly changes:

• [Balance] Chef pouch has backpack slots, but only carries food items
    • [Balance] Buff unique dishes that are underutilized
    • [Balance] Food buffs last twice as long on him
    • [Balance] Stat bonus for non-repeat foods for Warly (repeat food downside becomes more pronounced)
    • [New] Accomplished butcher: Animals that warly murders give increased yields
    • [QoL] Ability to eat dried foods
    • I don't like any of the above options
    • Something else (comment below)

Source thread is this:

Previously I asked "What character do you main?" and after, I contacted people that replied to the poll, I compiled a list of desired changes.

In this thread feel free to vote and discuss about this character.

Food buffs last twice as long on him and maybe a chef's specialty spice which is just pepper and garlic combined. He's already great for both entertainment and balance so he doesn't really need much, if anything.

Although I wouldn't be opposed to new spices. :p

An idea I had a while ago was each crockpot meal having its own bonus effect for him, that he could only get by eating it while it wasn't on cooldown.
whether it's something like spiralled tubers slightly increasing movement speed for a couple minutes or taffy increasing damage for 20 seconds, meaty stew raising max hunger, or more niche stuff like a particular dish automatically tending plants or lasagna making mobs like spiders ignore you.

just unique buffs that only he can access by making particular foods, and all tied to the 3 day cooldown for that food

I'd like it so whenever Warly views a Cookbook, it should show an indicator on each dish if Warly can get the full effects of the dish.

Often I think that I can eat a Meaty Stew after what I think is 2 days but I'm actually a few minutes short of forgetting the dish which sucks if I'm tight on Meat.

Warly needs much more than 3 spices. Right now there's no reason to ever pick up and carry the seasoning stations as you travel, because everything you'd realistically make seasoning powder with would be back at base. Adding spices that alter the stats of food would also add a lot more depth to cooking than just remembering the optimal recipes. Imagine if there was a seasoning that converted a portion of the HP and Hunger from a dish into Sanity, or a Dish that makes the foods stats apply overtime, like jellybeans.

48 minutes ago, pyroisshy said:

there's no reason to ever pick up and carry the seasoning stations as you travel

they are called "portable" out of consistency, but they are not designed to be used in a portable fashion, which is fine

3 spices I feel offer a ton of options already. the spices buff and the volt goat buffs are already the strongest part of his kit.

more spices would overcomplicate things, and overall become too much (some mods have tried adding more, unsuccessfully)

I would like to be able to see if I've eaten a food already, buffs that last longer, better bonuses for un-eaten food which was the case in DS (with worse maluses for the rest why not), more spices and more special recipes is always good

2 minutes ago, Natori said:

I would like to be able to see if I've eaten a food already, buffs that last longer, better bonuses for un-eaten food which was the case in DS (with worse maluses for the rest why not), more spices and more special recipes is always good

If you are using client mods, I highly recommend the Food Memory mod. It makes life very convenient while playing Warly.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2266744139

Being a Cook, Warly should probably be the character that teaches new players a good bit of the cooking recipes.. 

probably by having quotes that directly guide the player to making a particular food dish..

Example being: If the player places 1 Meat, 2 Red Mushrooms into a Crockpot.. Warly can remark “An egg would go good to spice this dish up”

Boom- Player just learned Pierogi without needing to read the freaking Wiki.

Other changes I’d make to Warly is to allow him to use his portable Crockpot as a melee weapon that has infinite durability but.. is about as effective as trying to use Lucy Axe for combat (Aka not the best choice but better than nothing) & a Butchers Machete (Better to use for Melee but eats durability)

Id also give the guy a Cuttery Table, a new portable cooking station that when ingredients are placed upon it.. and used with the butchers machete can yield back extra ingredients 

Example being one tomato chopped = 2/3 Tomato

The guys a professional cook…. And he just feels so Boring. :wilson_cry:

i would just change her pouch since was nerfed for no reason. Other than that is one of the best characters of the game with how many perks and combos brings his food plus one of the best downside that, for some reason, some people want to remove

Before any suggestions I think one very annoying bug (oversight?) should be fixed: if one consumes temperature-regulating dish - such as hot dragon chili salad or asparagazpacho - it's effect is cancelled by consuming dish with much more brief temperature changing effect, such as honey ham and such. The fact that half of days worth of protection goes away just because one consumed something that affected temperature for 10 seconds makes no sence, yet this is exactly what happens, and that makes one essentially waste some extra food items just to renew mentioned effect. I would like it to be fixed since dishes are fairly expensive and before lategame I usually don't have practically unlimited amount of them with me all the time (so whether it's 6 or 5-4 items is actually quite important as it leaves player with 0.5-1 days without harsh weather protection).

As for the actual suggestions, I would like chef pouch to receive full rework and not only help to generally improve Warly's kit that otherwise is falling apart early game (mainly due to lack of inventory space he requires to use his advantages to fullest potential), but also something that is exclusive to only Warly himself and alongside with unique downside adds to unique playstyle. Here is a link, but I'll copy part related to chef pouch here as well:

Spoiler

"Maybe upgraded version or 2 could be added? One version could have 0.25 spoilage modifier (like salt box, made with blue gem or whatever), it would be useful for mass cooking food at base on multiple crock pots and bringing food with Warly instead of crock pot during extended trips, it would reward careful planning of inventory and hunger points Warly needs for certain amount of time to go far away from base/crock pots. Another version could have more slots than normal backpack, have default spoilage modifier, but act as Packim Baggims, i.e. instantly cook cookable objects, burn burnable, etc., so it would reward knowledge of objects properties (to not turn it into ash) and knowledge of objects's spoilage time to make the most of it. This version would incourage to bring ingredients with Warly instead of ready to use dishes (hence extra slots). Game is also in need of mass-cooking option, and being the best at cooking/preserving food fits Warly very well."

This would create situation where Warly and only him could benefit from unique neat things like 4x duration of ham bat and infused moon shards, convenient tool for mass-cooking for dishes ingredients of which usually are separated across different containers for maximum spoilage reduction, or better backpack for clearing ruins and mass-roasting on the go at the same time, making him best at preserving food as he rightfully should as a chef, regardless of which version he chooses. Mechanically chef pouch can be made openable by other characters, but not equippable, ideally other characters would immediately drop it upon attempt to equip so those backpacks could be slowly moved in case they are on the way, items from them could be retrieved (+ more features to help team would only help), but items themselves could not be used to full potential unless one is Warly (currently attempt to pick backpack as wereWilba in DS works exactly this way).

I would also appreciate changes to the world itself, namely, ability to rush specific seeds in alternative than spamming random seeds way (those that are relevant for Warly's spices and unique to him dishes), as well as ability to obtain farm ingredients in small quantities to cook those dishes during early game. As of right now a lot of Warly's potential is gated behind farms, behind established farms to be exact, and attempt to rush those only leads to character with portable crock pot who benefits from nomad playstyle the most from the cast to be tied to one place, stripped from 90% from his advantages until somewhat relevant supply of vegetables will be established. Here is an example:

Finally, I would like duration and scaling of all effect remain the same as for other characters, I like idea of sharing food and shared being of the same quality as remained, I actually like the fact that being selfish leads to overall loss of the team in certain circumstances (like keeping voltgoat jelly for oneself rather than giving it to Wigfrid, Wolfgang or Wanda, same with fish cordon blue and sharing it with WX78, etc.). I feel like other mentioned above changes would be more than enough to encourage staying as Warly rather than only using his dishes on other characters.

Last, but not least QoL suggestion: Warly with torch equipped should prioritise dismantling portable crock pot rather than burning it. It gets very annoying early game, and option to burn it in dismantled state by right-clicking could be added for those who want to get rid of portable crock pot intentionally.

2 hours ago, Pig Princess said:

Before any suggestions I think one very annoying bug (oversight?) should be fixed: if one consumes temperature-regulating dish - such as hot dragon chili salad or asparagazpacho - it's effect is cancelled by consuming dish with much more brief temperature changing effect, such as honey ham and such.

Damn, I didn't notice this to be a thing. Definitely an oversight.

Yet another thing to think about, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Warly with torch equipped should prioritise dismantling portable crock pot rather than burning it

Also a good QoL. It happened about 5 times in pubs to have fires started from crocs.

upgraded version [of chef pouch] could be added

The role of insulated pack already fulfills that.

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

The guys a professional cook…. And he just feels so Boring. :wilson_cry:

Warly is many things, but "boring" is not one of them :)

4 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

The role of insulated pack already fulfills that.

Insulated pack is whole separate thing though, also in default worlds it comes too late to make significant impact on the way how one plays (bundle wrap recipe typically comes before that for me, and insulated pack remains to be luxury rather than impactful item); especially in multiplayer setting where play session duration on said server is usually shorter than year, and even if one is able to rejoin one will likely skip Bearger due to not being the only player. My suggestion would give player tools to diversify gameplay much earlier in multiple rather than direct upgrade of backpack ways (plus this upgrade is available to everyone: insulated pack and bundle wraps are generic means of storing food), and it won't compete with insulated pack since both suggestions are sidegrade to it. It's actually a common thing among character strength to be sidegrade to generic item/way of play:

- soul hop and lazy explorer, soul healing and healing food/items (for solo), Abigail and weather pain (AoE), Woby and beefalo (for moving heavy objects), sleepy time stories and panflute, ammo and any ranged attack (for aggroing stuff), freezing rounds and ice staff, even speedy balloon and walking cane (in terms of pure speed), spitters and weather pain (more hits per second than usual), backstep watch and lazy explorer, loyal merm guards and bunnymen, merms and other wood harvesting methods, fish cordon bleu and rain hat/eyebrella (in terms of rain and lightning protection), bloom and one-man band, bramble traps and tooth traps, health leech and bat bat, beanbooster circuit and jellybeans, chef pouch and packpack.

A lot of items are direct upgrade of generic ones as well:

- alarming clock and tail o'three cats, backtreck watch and lazy deserter, backtreck watch and telelocator forus (for self-teleporting), second-chance watch and telltale heart, battle helmet + battle spear and foodball helmet + spear, brumble husk and log suit, optoelectronic circuit and moggles, illumination circuit and miner hat, thermal circuit and hot thermal stone (for hight temperature), refrigerator circuit and cold thermal stone, portable crock pot and regular one (aside from making surf'n'turf and monster lasagna), fire immunity and scalemail, glow berry mousse and lesser glow berry, merms and pigs (for combat), soul healing and normal healing (for group), lucy and most of the axes (chopping power).

And those are what first came to mind, I'm sure I forgot a lot of things. So there is no reason why sidegrades to insulated pack would not be ok, especially considering problems of Warly's early game (extra inventory space occupied that is not justified by upsides that come with that) and the fact that everyone can use insulated pack (I heard a lot of statements about Warly lacking inherent to him upside that would justify to stay as him; I disagree, but people claim that to be a thing, and I myself would like more things only Warly could do anyway, so I came up with this addition).

I thought of something like this sidegrade line:

chef pouch with freezing power [salt box spoilage time increase, 6 slots] ------ insulated pack [ice box spoilage time increase, 8 slots] ------ chef pouch with burning power [12 slots, regular spoiling time, extra burning effect to instantly cook/burn cookable/burnable]

so they won't outclass each other.

Keep in mind that chef pouch basically switched places with insulated pack after nerf of former one and buff of latter one. And now chef pouch is much worse that former insulated pack, where is fun in that?

Honestly just anything that would make so people don't just play as him as a character that you switch to, make his perk food and switch back to whoever you play as.

6 hours ago, Pig Princess said:

Before any suggestions I think one very annoying bug (oversight?) should be fixed: if one consumes temperature-regulating dish - such as hot dragon chili salad or asparagazpacho - it's effect is cancelled by consuming dish with much more brief temperature changing effect, such as honey ham and such. The fact that half of days worth of protection goes away just because one consumed something that affected temperature for 10 seconds makes no sence, yet this is exactly what happens, and that makes one essentially waste some extra food items just to renew mentioned effect. I would like it to be fixed since dishes are fairly expensive and before lategame I usually don't have practically unlimited amount of them with me all the time (so whether it's 6 or 5-4 items is actually quite important as it leaves player with 0.5-1 days without harsh weather protection).

As for the actual suggestions, I would like chef pouch to receive full rework and not only help to generally improve Warly's kit that otherwise is falling apart early game (mainly due to lack of inventory space he requires to use his advantages to fullest potential), but also something that is exclusive to only Warly himself and alongside with unique downside adds to unique playstyle. Here is a link, but I'll copy part related to chef pouch here as well:

Reveal hidden contents

"Maybe upgraded version or 2 could be added? One version could have 0.25 spoilage modifier (like salt box, made with blue gem or whatever), it would be useful for mass cooking food at base on multiple crock pots and bringing food with Warly instead of crock pot during extended trips, it would reward careful planning of inventory and hunger points Warly needs for certain amount of time to go far away from base/crock pots. Another version could have more slots than normal backpack, have default spoilage modifier, but act as Packim Baggims, i.e. instantly cook cookable objects, burn burnable, etc., so it would reward knowledge of objects properties (to not turn it into ash) and knowledge of objects's spoilage time to make the most of it. This version would incourage to bring ingredients with Warly instead of ready to use dishes (hence extra slots). Game is also in need of mass-cooking option, and being the best at cooking/preserving food fits Warly very well."

This would create situation where Warly and only him could benefit from unique neat things like 4x duration of ham bat and infused moon shards, convenient tool for mass-cooking for dishes ingredients of which usually are separated across different containers for maximum spoilage reduction, or better backpack for clearing ruins and mass-roasting on the go at the same time, making him best at preserving food as he rightfully should as a chef, regardless of which version he chooses. Mechanically chef pouch can be made openable by other characters, but not equippable, ideally other characters would immediately drop it upon attempt to equip so those backpacks could be slowly moved in case they are on the way, items from them could be retrieved (+ more features to help team would only help), but items themselves could not be used to full potential unless one is Warly (currently attempt to pick backpack as wereWilba in DS works exactly this way).

I love the chef pouch upgrade ideas, to add to this, to make it really intuitive and fun to use I'd make the upgrades in form of 2 upgrades that both would be made with a few salt crystals (another use for salt) and the respective gem, you'd insert this item into a slot that the pouch would have (just like celestial crown for the spores)

Archived