Strident Trident is worse than the Malbatross bill

1 minute ago, jan Mele said:

A cooling item and a summoning weapon have nothing to do with a giant bird thing if you put it this way.

Yeah that's where my point was coming from actually. If we either ignore what materials the items are made out of or put focus on only a few aspects then it would make things sound like they're entirely unrelated.

Any who, I don't actually mind the Trident itself too much, my biggest problem is it's cost. You can make it as underpowered or overpowered or whatever as you want, but the crafting recipe will always be the main thorn letting it from being a much more usable item.

You need three gnarwail horns to craft just one trident, and may God help you if you want to get those horns because Gnarwails are pure rng, having a 7.5% chance to spawn when a school of fish spawns. I've at times seen no gnarwails across the span of a year, and sometimes seen like 3 in the span of 2 days. I have to end up using gosh darn ruins gear just to make maintaining the trident somewhat bearable, being super conservative with my usage of a trident leaving it at 34% durability so I can atleast get two horns back for the next trident I craft.

I don't really care how ever many buffs you add to the trident itself, the main problem is the recipe.

My initial post had a couple suggestions:

-Have the CK drop WHOLE strident tridents instead of the recipe.

-Increase it's durability significantly to compensate for no longer being craftable

-increase it's land damage to 42.5 (that of the pick/axe)

-Give it the speed increase of a walking cane so you can actually "stride" with the Trident.

These changes aren't too involved and just require changes in the code.

For a more involved change... (On top of some of the above changes) what if it allowed you to walk on water at the cost of durability and gave you a significant speed increase while on water? Maybe stepping on to the water summons a gnairwail that you ride for mapping out dangerous parts of the ocean, quick trips to the lunar island (crossing long ocean distances between biomes aka no more boat bridges), and to traverse small rivers. 

9 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Dude wtf are these comments. Why are people obsessing over you making a point that it's identical to an oar in everything but one category, therefore being a worse weapon than an oar, and acting like because you pointed that out that's the only buff you think it deserves, that's the only thing you think matters for weapon viability, and that's the only thing you have ever and will ever care about.

This is a forums moment.

5 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

that would suck even more because, instead of being able to make cheap or even dupe tridents via green gems we would need to kill ck everytime we want such underwhelming weapon (only good because of geysers)

ck needs an unique item a as drop along with the trident recipe (and maybe a buff in the trident)

5 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

agree

I actually think the strident trident is pretty useful, but not as a weapon, i use it as a tool.
since its special attack can easily destroy rocks or bring items closer to you.
Especially destroying rocks, being able to clear a path in front of you while still moving.

Looks like I should clear up a few things before contributing again.

10 hours ago, Bones Junior said:

I wanted to engage with this post but I'm kind of withdrawn from the back and forth insults. Just wow.

My post was not intended to be an insult nor critique of the person, but rather a critique of the point seemingly being made from what I read from the original post's wording. I wanted to see discussion more of like where it is now, talking about the full use and functionality and all kinds of balance ideas, rather than have the discussion hinge on beating an oar, as the original wording seemed to imply. I'm sorry my post could be misunderstood as something rude.

16 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Dude wtf are these comments. Why are people obsessing over you making a point that it's identical to an oar in everything but one category, therefore being a worse weapon than an oar, and acting like because you pointed that out that's the only buff you think it deserves, that's the only thing you think matters for weapon viability, and that's the only thing you have ever and will ever care about.

I was just responding to a point made in the original post, not trying to shut down conversation on the others. But if multiple people get confused on the original post's point itself, do you think it's the fault of all the people who got confused, or the way the post was written? Clearly the sentiment was shared at least somewhat as the original post was edited to avoid future confusion, and the conversation has moved beyond it. All good now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

-Increase it's durability significantly to compensate for no longer being craftable

I'd rather the recipe be shifted to look as if it was something that came from the Crab King, either by visually tweaking CK himself to look like they have a "throne" made of horns (that would then drop upon defeating them) or by making some other kind of item you get from CK used to craft the trident. Because as it sits, it being a CK drop feels like Klei was desperate and out of ideas of what to do to make the boss worth fighting instead of just the one-and-done fight everyone already seems to treat him as for the Celestial Tribute.

-Give it the speed increase of a walking cane so you can actually "stride" with the Trident.

These are good ideas, I like the stride idea. Maybe make the recipe use a walking cane as well? That way it feels like you have a choice of what you should upgrade your walking cane to. Maybe leaning into it being more of a tool than a weapon would be a better direction to take it entirely.

For a more involved change... (On top of some of the above changes) what if it allowed you to walk on water at the cost of durability and gave you a significant speed increase while on water? Maybe stepping on to the water summons a gnairwail that you ride for mapping out dangerous parts of the ocean, quick trips to the lunar island (crossing long ocean distances between biomes aka no more boat bridges), and to traverse small rivers. 

I think you were on to a bit of something here, but personally I don't think it should be able to make something that goes too far out, as then it'd just feel like it'd step on the toes of getting an actual dedicated boat. I'd love an ocean mount, one you would need to sink work into just like a boat, but I don't think an item with draining durability would make people want to use it either...

However, like your last point, what if holding the trident would just make you "jump" rivers? If there's a short enough distance between the land masses, maybe the character will strum the trident and a wave will carry them across it. Would be neat, and would also make it more worth obtaining as it could really help out on some world gens.

And an idea I had to possibly make the recipe more tolerable would be a change to Gnarwails themselves; imagine if they had the potential to have forked horns on their heads? So sometimes you'd come across one and it would have a second horn growing out of the main one, or even have a third... It could deal more damage if it had those extra forks, making it a little harder but more rewarding to get the horn(s) from, as it would drop up to three at once. It'd also make them look a little more interesting, IMO.

55 minutes ago, Auth said:

And an idea I had to possibly make the recipe more tolerable would be a change to Gnarwails themselves; imagine if they had the potential to have forked horns on their heads? So sometimes you'd come across one and it would have a second horn growing out of the main one, or even have a third... It could deal more damage if it had those extra forks, making it a little harder but more rewarding to get the horn(s) from, as it would drop up to three at once. It'd also make them look a little more interesting, IMO.

Yeah, the gnarwail problem needs to be addressed too. They need a dedicated home that maybe opens up during a specific season, like summer. 

Turning the strident trident into a sea walking canes is an idea I'm slowing enjoying more and more. They could make it so that prolonged time on the water starts to make you sink the longer you go without returning to solid ground. Me and others have longed for a way to pick up items that are just off shore or just missed by the boat that doesn't require turning around. This would allow us to plant bull kelp in nice arrangements than the current obligatory lines (or surrounding boats). 

One weakness it does have over boat though is that switching to a hand held light source or tool makes you immediately sink. 

Maybe being wet (wearing a wet inducing hat), rain, and a few seconds after stepping off water can provide a large movement speed (slightly larger than the walking cane). This would require the strident trident to be completely reworked though.

5 hours ago, Friendly Grass said:

The difficulty I see is that it makes complete sense for the trident to need three horns to craft it.

Hide contents

BD8303CA-1530-445F-9D3B-3CC026DB0AFE.png.c09836df98005ebc17647fb54c5c9e10.png

To me, a direct change to the recipe just doesn't make sense with what it is.

its not that bad because you use a contructioj amulet and you need two, then deconstruct at 37% something and you get 2 back. 

This means that once you have 2 horns, you can use this weapon forever. 

I agree it has a very niche use and should do much more damage on water, or maybe be used to get all bosses wet on land, so that you can use morning stars on them. i think this change alone would make it extremely desirable and crab king would become a priority

Archived