New crafting system way too convoluted on controller

Honestly Klei should've never removed the old crafting system. On a controller it was perfect and easily accessible to craft what you need. This new system seems like it only supports/ favors people who use mouse and keyboard. Doesn't seem like a QoL feature if it forces the new system on everyone while leaving the people in subject, controller users, behind. The new crafting UI should be optional with people either wanting to opt in or opt out of it. Then again even if they wanted to force the new crafting on everyone at least find a way for it still feel as functional as the previous crafting UI for controller users. The menuing feels more like a task than anything after this update. Hopefully Klei rethinks this. 

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

They can't just let you use the old UI. It isn't just a visual change, it's a complete overhaul of the entire system.

Klei should place a huge, neon sign saying this at the top of the site. It's getting really tiresome getting the same comment over and over asking for a toggle as if it's the easiest thing in the world.

13 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Klei should place a huge, neon sign saying this at the top of the site. It's getting really tiresome getting the same comment over and over asking for a toggle as if it's the easiest thing in the world.

Make you have to type the sentence "I understand that the new crafting UI is not just a visual change and can't be easily toggled, and will read the update notes for more information." before you're allowed to make new threads lol

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

Make you have to type the sentence "I understand that the new crafting UI is not just a visual change and can't be easily toggled, and will read the update notes for more information." before you're allowed to make new threads lol

And you should type "people has the right to complain about changes that made their experience with the game way worse", before you're allowed to answer any thread.

Specially when you are NOT a console player.

The new UI don't need a lawyer. Go rest.

I've only had a few minutes with the new UI on PS5, and I had to increase the size via the Advanced Options immediately. 

I think split screen is going to be very difficult now, but I haven't tested that yet.

It's great to be able to run around while searching through the menu, and I can see the favourite pins being useful. Will have to start a new game and survive a year from scratch as the true test.

4 hours ago, DajeKotlyar said:

Yeah, scrolling to the wrap paper for a few hours without ability to even move...

Yeah, running through the dark going from menu to menu just to make a torch since your torch burned out, even better. 

4 minutes ago, Haloztaylor said:

Yeah, running through the dark going from menu to menu just to make a torch since your torch burned out, even better. 

Uhm Torch is by default placed in one of the quick craft slots lol

No need to navigate menus for it at all.

People should start utilizing the customizable quick craft slots more often instead being completely oblivious to them.. For real.

10 minutes ago, Haloztaylor said:

You admit you haven't actually tried the menu out and are just immediately saying it sucks because it's different. The torch is on the pins by default so this problem is completely made up.

And what do you even mean, "menu to menu"? Torch has no crafted components, it's just in the light tab as it's always been.

3 hours ago, Cheggf said:

They can't just let you use the old UI. It isn't just a visual change, it's a complete overhaul of the entire system.

A complete overhaul of a system that leaves a demographic of people, “Controller Players” behind. We have to remember there’s plenty of people who support and play the game on PS, Xbox, PC (using controller), and soon to be switch. 

First and foremost remember it’s a QoL update. With it being a overhaul you need to question who it’s really for and whose lives did it make easier, keyboard users. But with it being a QoL update Klei should’ve found a new way for it to still feel as accessible to controller users as the previous system allowed. 

13 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

You admit you haven't actually tried the menu out and are just immediately saying it sucks because it's different. The torch is on the pins by default so this problem is completely made up.

And what do you even mean, "menu to menu"? Torch has no crafted components, it's just in the light tab as it's always been.

Where did I admit that I didn’t try it out? But to make things simple, plug in your Xbox controller and you let us know the functionality this QoL presented to us controller players. Until then you have no say. Enjoy your QoL update.

11 minutes ago, Haloztaylor said:

Plug in your Xbox controller and you let us know the functionality this QoL presented to us controller players. Until then you have no say.

This. Just this. No more than this.

22 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

DajeKotlyar's problem (first post in this thread) is also made up since in fact it is possible to freely move while crafting ui is open.

Some people just want to complain for the sake of complaining..

i think that was sarcasm since is what happend in the old ui

45 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

DajeKotlyar's problem (first post in this thread) is also made up since in fact it is possible to freely move while crafting ui is open.

Some people just want to complain for the sake of complaining..

It was ironic. I mean now it's possible and it's good

3 minutes ago, DajeKotlyar said:

It was ironic. I mean now it's possible and it's good

27 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i think that was sarcasm since is what happend in the old ui

Oh lol my bad Poe's Law got me again.

You know, this thread reminded me that I do, in fact, have a controller lying around. A cheap, off-brand controller with playstation face buttons, but a controller nonetheless.

So, I plugged in and I seriously don't get what all the fuss is about. Aside from not being able to play around with my inventory while the crafting menu is open, everything seems to be working fine. Well, as fine as it ever worked with a controller, which, needless to say, will never have the dexterity and speed of a mouse. The move from a list to a grid makes it easier to get to the recipe you want, just like it does on M&K. The quick access tab allows you to craft items way faster than you ever could before, exactly like it does on M&K.

And I'm told you can now move while navigating the crafting menu, which you could not do before, so that's nice too.

What am I missing?

P.S. I like pinning better on controller. Trying to click on that pesky, little X to unpin a recipe with the mouse is hell. :P

3 minutes ago, reallychina said:

The right question is who would play any game on a controller?

To be fair fighting games feel much better with a controller while with kb i have to do awkard finger gymnastics regardless of how well i plan the keybinds.. and get my ass kicked as a result.

4 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

To be fair fighting games feel much better with a controller while with kb i have to do awkard finger gymnastics regardless of how well i plan the keybinds.. and get my ass kicked as a result.

@ArubaroBeefalo

Well yes, fighting games ok.  But why even bother playing a game that is 1000% better with a mouse?

6 minutes ago, SomebodyRandom said:

Man I hate the new UI, Klei should just revert it back because I love being forced to stand still while crafting and I love holding the joystick down for a solid minute before I can find the item I want.

Same. Having to hold the joystick / scroll down oooon and ooooon really gave the eventual crafting a special significance. I truly felt I was earning it, you know?

Archived