Forum's Opinion on the Wendy rework.

This poll was made for the purpose of seeing people's opinions of the Wendy rework. Please answer honestly. Also I know I'm like more then a year late but I was curious.  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Q.1: Did you play Wendy before her rework in some shape or form, for example playing her in DS.

2. 2. Q.2: If you answered yes in the last question do you like the Wendy rework? And do you think Wendy is fun?

• Yes. It is fun
    • Sort of. It is more fun then before.
    • Neutral. It isn't more or less fun then before.
    • Not really. It isn't more or less fun then before.
    • No. It was more fun before the rework.
    • Answered No in the first question.
  3. 3. Q.3: If you answered no in Q.1 do you think Wendy is fun to play?

4. 4. Q.4: Do you think the Wendy is a good character now?

1 minute ago, Dollmaker said:

Theres more to it though, she is mourning her sister, and in fact shes the whole reason she even keeps on living, since she believes Abigail would disappear if she decided to move on or if she dies.

She also has some other funny aspects to her, mainly that despite her depressive behavior, she still acts like a kid sometimes, as seen with her friendship with Webber and having tea parties, or when she asked Woodie for a ride in his Beaver form (which btw that moron forgot about despite promising to do it).

Or the fact that she likes art but its embarrassed about it and doesnt want people to find out. 

wich you all totaly are able to get on first time, as a random new player

1 minute ago, Dr.Medic said:

Well the more you play a character the more you learn about them after all.

From their quotes and all, Maxwell is probably my favorite with Wendy, with his sarcastic tone and how full of himself he is. 

3 minutes ago, Dr.Medic said:

No, but the flavor is there and even from simply seeing her you can get a good vibe that I think helps.  Also a lot of new-player game play involves clicking on things, and thus reading a lot of inspection quotes.  As an experienced player you might not see these as much and forget about them.

Even before her refresh she was a pretty popular character.

Just now, Shosuko said:

No, but the flavor is there and even from simply seeing her you can get a good vibe that I think helps.  Even before her refresh she was a pretty popular character.

And she wasnt that great before her refresh, she was terrible with bosses due to how easy Abigail died to them and Wendy having lower dmg. 

It shows a lot how the design and personality of a character can attract people to it, like i mentioned i love Maxwell despite how annoying his gameplay can be at times. 

Just now, Shosuko said:

Even before her refresh she was a pretty popular character.

and a reason why i think it was was because shes blond, i dit study humans carefully, and i came to the results that humans like blonde hair for some reasons, i dont know why but they do

2 minutes ago, Dr.Medic said:

and a reason why i think it was was because shes blond, i dit study humans carefully, and i came to the results that humans like blonde hair for some reasons, i dont know why but they do

I'm blonde, maybe that's why.

23 hours ago, Horsheen said:

Yeah I think she's super fun to play. People say she's too strong yadda yadda but it really doesn't matter in a co-op game

Okay, character balance doesn't matter in a coop game. Therefore Wendy can be nerfed because it won't matter! Everyone wins!

1 minute ago, Dr.Medic said:

My guess? cause its uncommon, Black and Brown are the most common types of hair by A LOT, so people get attracted to odd colors of hair, such has white from albinos, or red. 

Besides blonde is usually fairly bright and easy to notice. 

23 hours ago, Horsheen said:

Yeah I think she's super fun to play. People say she's too strong yadda yadda but it really doesn't matter in a co-op game

I agree, people talk to much about balance in a game where some character exist to only handicap the player.

3 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

I agree, people talk to much about balance in a game where some character exist to only handicap the player.

Tbf, i do think its a problem if a character is too strong, but i think Wendy is fine balance wise, while she can be strong, she has to manage Abigail as well to get the best of her, on top of expending time to make the Elixirs. 

Wes is kinda of an odd case, while he himself sucks, he can give some benefits to others, specially early on with the Speed Balloon, he is basically the meat shield due to his "bad luck" mechanic. 

2 minutes ago, Dollmaker said:

he can give some benefits to others, specially early on with the Speed Balloon

The balloons are still jokes, you know? Giving somebody a 30% speedboost for 25 seconds is still completely worthless, it takes more time to have the other player stop and ask for one than it saves. I'm not even sure if the meat shield thing applies, as it basically only makes slightly more hounds target you, that's it. I still miss the hunger drain.

Just wanna add on to my previous post, If you think something is unbalanced, dont use it? If you've ever played hamlet and discovered the "build and rob the bank over and over" stratagy i'm sure you could attest to this.

1 minute ago, hhh2 said:

The balloons are still jokes, you know? Giving somebody a 30% speedboost for 25 seconds is still completely worthless, it takes more time to have the other player stop and ask for one than it saves. I'm not even sure if the meat shield thing applies, as it basically only makes slightly more hounds target you, that's it. I still miss the hunger drain.

Just wanna add on to my previous post, If you think something is unbalanced, dont use it? If you've ever played hamlet and discovered the "build and rob the bank over and over" stratagy i'm sure you could attest to this.

It can help when trying to do the map, or just for long travels, until the Cane becomes available. 

Also while his faster hunger drain was removed, take in mind his hunger was reduced, so he still has to eat more often than other characters. 

12 minutes ago, Dollmaker said:

take in mind his hunger was reduced, so he still has to eat more often than other

this isn't a good thing. The extra hunger drain ment you'd always need 25% more food through the entire game, all the 75 hunger does it make it nessisary to chug a meatball every 8 minutes. It also makes starts even harder, since the old 113 was an effective 93 hunger with the hunger drain so you had just about 10 minutes to find food before you starve, now you have exactly 8 minutes before you starve as wes.

5 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

this isn't a good thing. The extra hunger drain ment you'd always need 25% more food through the entire game, all the 75 hunger does it make it nessisary to chug a meatball every 8 minutes. It also makes starts even harder, since the old 113 was an effective 93 hunger with the hunger drain so you had just about 10 minutes to find food before you starve, now you have exactly 8 minutes before you starve as wes.

Well he is meant to be the challenge character after all, his refresh actually made him harder to play, but gave him some tools, before he only really had a bait and that was about it. 

I feel like personality is something that grows on you as you play that character.

It does it's part in making the player start to connect and stick to that character but "later on".

Visuals is probably more important I chose Wolfgang cause in the character selection he's called "The Strongman" his Motto is a straight up boast and his image also represents that.

Spoiler

1072158138_Wolfgang(1).thumb.png.d148535a66ad525565d8273d217ffed5.png

Perks and downsides aren't telling you what they do "specifically" and as a new player you're just still learning how "effective" they are as you go unless you're researching ahead of time.

But characters like wigfrid and Wendy make big impressions right away.

Spawning with a ghost twin follower or cool lil viking hat and spear to marvel at right away for abit.

Overall I think Wendy and wigfrid are characters that make great first impressions from both the character select screen and when first spawning in.

40 minutes ago, Dollmaker said:

Maxwell is probably my favorite with Wendy, with his sarcastic tone and how full of himself he is. 

This is why Maxwell is in my 2nd favorite along with his "fallen king" status his whole demeanor makes me laugh cause of his whole situation.

Spoiler

Wilson is also a contender in that place despite being bland gameplay wise.

His beard levels make him look quite dashing or straight up pro survivalist. That's just from my first impression long ago.

After learning the whole storyline between him and Maxwell. And then their funny predicament after Wilson also got kicked off the throne after going through hell to get there.

Actually Wilson goes through alot of hell and still keeps going THAT is definitely my favorite thing about him.

His escape attempts and endurance really make him feel like the main character imo

Plus all the times we get to see him animated.

He really is a good poster boy.

Whoops that went off topic.

My favorite thing about wendy is her sisterly bond, friendship with Webber, and scaring Wolfgang.

1 minute ago, Dollmaker said:

Well he is meant to be the challenge character after all, his refresh actually made him harder to play, but gave him some tools, before he only really had a bait and that was about it. 

I'm not disagreeing about him becoming harder to play, DS wes is a tank compared to DST wes, but the slower work rate and removal of the hunger drain still bothers me

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

Okay, character balance doesn't matter in a coop game. Therefore Wendy can be nerfed because it won't matter! Everyone wins!

Sure, it can also be interpreted as that yeah. Weak characters exist, and so do strong ones, such is the way.

I’m a Wendy main, and have been ever since I unlocked her in the original Dont starve. I’m also a secondary Walani main and have been since I unlocked her in Shipwrecked.

Now the difference between DS & DST is that once a DLC character is unlocked you can play with them even outside of their DLC.. so yes I’ve played as Walani in ADVENTURES Mode for solo DS where there’s not a Single body of Water to surf within Anywhere in sight the whole campaign.

Why did I do this? Because despite being Apparently “Awful” as a character choice: I loved Walani for her appearance, and personality through her Quotes.

(This also makes me dislike Wes a little bit because even though he can’t talk the game could’ve portrayed quotes as if he was reading them in his head to himself..)

I was drawn to Wendy more then most likely because I’m An Adult, and her Dark Morbid Tim Burton Esque quotes kept reminding me that “this isn’t a game for little children” 

For example Her Quote for looking at shards of Moon Glass.. yeah kids probably shouldn’t read that, but MOST kids wouldn’t get the joke anyway.

But growing up in my time and era we also had Movies like “Deadman on Campus” which within probably the first 42 seconds of that movie shows little animations of a cartoon character depicting various ways to commit themselves to no longer living.

Does this mean I myself am suicidal?? Absolutely not!! and trust me I’ve had a very dark and rough life that has included forgiving people for the horrible things they have done to me when I should have probably condemned them to hell & had them locked away for life. Maybe once upon a long long time ago I may have wanted god to show mercy upon me & just call me back home, But that’s decades in the past now & I’m not ever planning to feel that miserable again.

My point here is that DS/DST despite looking like a cute childrens game can be very dark & slightly morbid at times.

and I fell absolutely in love with Wendy as a character because it shows that hey tiny kids should definitely not be playing this game.. Which is why when Klei Discontinued the twisted Lunar Mutations for the Return of Them I was quite upset.

Warbucks was completely pulled from the game, stripped from Klei’s record books because he could’ve been seen as “Culturally Offensive”

But then again- Wendy also has grim jokes about death & dying.

While in reality dealing with passed on loved ones is difficult & we don’t really ever “truly” just get over it & move on- no matter what you do or where you go I can promise you that every once in awhile something, someone or some place you go will remind you of a memory of your passed loved one.

Im afraid that now that Klei has passed majority shares of Klei Entertainment to a different group of people then we could potentially see the darker more Grim parts of Dont Starve fade away into obscurity or worse- Have entire characters like Wendy stripped completely out of the game.

Wendy is a reminder that Children really shouldn’t be playing this game.. as it was never designed for kids- and it worries me when I see the updates continue to go into a more “Cutesy” direction instead of reinforcing things like the darker, grim tone WENDY’s entire existence is a Reminder of.

While some people may enjoy Wendy for how “Easy” she is to play, she didn’t ALWAYS have it “Easy” at all times either-

971F61A3-CFA9-4CCF-B7F7-2F390D9181B8.gif.9aa687c05fe0c757bf462f1254b5fc74.gif

The rework may have drastically simplified Wendy.. but she’s still a grand reminder that Klei wasn’t afraid of making quotes about life & Death that weren’t meant for kids.

I expected the ingredients in your potions to require gardening, not stings and logs.

Being able to summon Abigail at any time is not gratifying.

Your Sisturn could allow for more interactions, such as placing other types of petals. It's just a structure that doesn't match anything on my base, maybe it matches the hives.

I will miss making sacrifices to summon Abigail.

It doesn't matter, I don't play with her anymore...

4 hours ago, Cursed Name said:

Being able to summon Abigail at any time is not gratifying.

Well, its still held back by her regen, you can summon her at anytime yeah, but if she died recently she is gonna be really low HP and still have to wait for the HP buff to apply. 

47 minutes ago, shadowtiger123 said:

this is a survival game not a pvp arena. what is wrong with a character being a little strong. just let it be strong and people to enjoy the game. if u want a challenge play wes. he is in the game for that reason and that reason alone.

so people cant share their feedback and limit themselves to 1 character because you don't share that opinion? as you said, this a survival game and people will comment their opinion about what they dont enjoy about the game, klei will decide if they should take into account that opinions or not but not you

Archived