Enable more relaxing gameplay

Sometimes I want to play a more forgiving game but not a complete sandbox mode.

Less mess with water in general. No vomiting. No toilet-related accidents.

Less emergencies.

Less diseases.

Less stress generation.

Players should get really got rewards from Pod.

Instant new dupe after some dupe dies.

We don't have many options for this in ONI.

You can change the game options when you create a new game. Some of these options let you tweak diseases, stress and hunger. You can even remove some of these like stress and hunger completely, and/or remove stress reactions like vomiting.

They don't affect all of the things you mentioned, but they can do some of it.

20 hours ago, Yobbo said:

You can change the game options when you create a new game. Some of these options let you tweak diseases, stress and hunger. You can even remove some of these like stress and hunger completely, and/or remove stress reactions like vomiting.

They don't affect all of the things you mentioned, but they can do some of it.

... and for everything that options do not cover, you may search for mods to make your game easier and more relaxing.

Also, you can play with sandbox mode turned on, so you could spawn oxygen, food and duplicants at any moment you like

this would be a cool option imo. like a low spec mode to cut out some stuff that bogs performance down.  especially if it got rid of decor or germs

or a mode to help players learn the game better, like a tutorial format.  currently the game has a little bit of a learning curve to it, maybe the ingame manual+videos help enough now.  i just remember throwing down an aquatuner in the bottom of my base in some slime biome when i first started and wondering how the hell am i suppose to use this? as it breaks from overheating

10 hours ago, zach123b said:

this would be a cool option imo. like a low spec mode to cut out some stuff that bogs performance down.  especially if it got rid of decor or germs

nice idea, but I don't think decor or germs affect the game lag a lot. IMO critters and duplicants are bigger issue

10 hours ago, zach123b said:

mode to help players learn the game better, like a tutorial format.

THAT! 

Some kind of mini-campaign, set of missions with clear and easy objective like "make bedroom and bathroom before end of the cycle" that would help players understand what is going on. Often, when I want to introduce friends to this game, they stubmle upon random yt tutorial about petroleum boiler or see my pipe maze and say "nah, its too complicated". Tutorial missions would help a lot

On the other hand - preparing those missions takes time and effort from devs that could do something cool for all of us who already know how to make bedrooms

To have "relaxed" FPS game play, it would be great if the true map size can be ( as option ) limited to have only one colony, plus unmanned rockets for space field resource gathering - All like in the old base game.

I love the DLC, but playing multiple colonies to the full extend will end with the game speed close to pause mode, with the latest and fastest cpu on the market.

It makes a big difference if FPS and game speed suffering players can play at double, quadruple or octa game speed. Its chilly for people to play with high FPS and "Doing everything whats possible in the game". :ghost::afro:

Having the option to hard limit the maximum tile amount would be like heaven, I am hoping for Klei do offer this option to players since 4 years.

Please find a technical and game design solution and offer this option in the world generations settings, dear Klei. I love to play everything at max, but as the game can not utilize all cores a player has in its system...it would be great if the players can set a max simulation tile limit ( total true simulated maximum map size ).

It also would be great to have a dedicated "Auto destroy screen" ( can be integrated in to the resource panel ) in the game for FPS reasons which players can activate in Survival Mode. All the players items are listed in that screen and the player can set a cap on all or some of his items. If the set player range is exceeded on a player configured item, then the excess items/amounts will be auto destroyed - Randomly chosen random location of excess units/kg/calories or whatever. Like having 2.7 million seeds of a certain plant, but I only want to keep 50... :lol: In a perfect world a player could even restrict the auto destroy of excess items to a certain location.

A lot of players don`t even know what pile stacks they have piling up in their game, dragging the FPS down.

Maybe I will build a big trash rail highway at some point in my own colony, where everything gets loaded on to and which leads in to space....but that will takes precious tile space of my map, with all the built logistics for the colony wide trash rail system. With some Klei update or content desire I can not play my current map anymore anyway, so I rather have the destroy screen for players for excess items.

Trash litter bins like in Rollercoaster Tycoon would be great too, for a more relaxed players FPS game speed. Each litter bin could be configured on what the bin asks for and what to destroy, for dupes to gather stuff and to throw it in to the colony litter bins. It should be possible to have a litter bin colony wide shared "Preservation" value on configured items, to avoid that dupes trash too much of something.

If Klei is looking for additional game designer support, I worked on 20 games - Including producing Crysis, 100 staff.

Ducking down now :bee:

I completely concur that the mess with water is annoying i really would like it to be away too.

Also i would like a way to revive dupes, i looked for a mod for that but there seems to be none.

I also considered adding revival to a mod but i am a bit lacking time. @babba game designer support in the sense of c# programming or in the sense of planning?

38 minutes ago, Rainbowdesign said:

I completely concur that the mess with water is annoying i really would like it to be away too.

Also i would like a way to revive dupes, i looked for a mod for that but there seems to be none.

I also considered adding revival to a mod but i am a bit lacking time. @babba game designer support in the sense of c# programming or in the sense of planning?

Reviving dupes sounds cool, the gravestones in the game always make me think of Ghost`n`Goblins :lol:

image.png.3e23eda5e5a5288a7b0d50a7df6d898e.png

Game design - Photoshop GUI, documents, problem analysis and solutions, also sound design and video work. Have you got a link to your mods, dear @Rainbowdesign :razz: ?

A Zombie Mod would be awesome...A spreading germ which makes dupes to Zombies, trying to infect other dupes. Plus a cure option, being able to cure Dupe Zombies :bee: Dupe Zombies could give birth every 1 cycle to a new Zombie, so the problem gets worse and worse for the player. :lol:

image.png.c921bdec7538d0e5218bd163b50b33de.png Dupe Zombie Mod ! :ghost: Not relaxing, fun stress ! :ghost::flustered::ghost:

Ghost`n`Goblins always makes me think of the awesome sound track from the c64 Rambo :lol: The last studio I worked at, the chief technical programmer left us with a terrible game engine to work with, for him to be later come technical head at Unity. I would sadly have sacked untalented 50 staff... but not my call, the studio manager decided different...So we watched how we sank 20 Million Dollars in a year and Eidos then filed for bankruptcy.

Crytek was also unfun, bosses stopped paying staff wages but still drove their Ferrari`s coming to work - Ah, the entertainment industry ! Best is to run a small indy company with a few people, that was great positive fun in 2000. Sometimes there is darkness in life, sometimes its happy years.

I better shut up and eat a donut, have a coffee and play ONI :ghost::beguiled:

10 hours ago, DolphinWing said:

It's not unmanned. You just lock them and forget.

It reminds me of "Dune"'s navigators locked in a glass tank to allow your rockets travel in space. That could work simialr - you lock your dupe in a Vat Rocket Module, you can see they are there behind the glass, maybe connected to some aparature like in the Matrix to navigate the rocket, you know they are safe and sound and you don't need to worry about them. Maybe there could be some rubber duck as well to make sure they are fine and have company

Probably not to make this OP in case of temporal food shortage or other lethal disaster, this process could not be reversed, and the dupe is lost forever. Or at least - there could be a big delay to remove them from the vat.

It could come with "Indefinite Life Sustain" tech that would unlock hibernation chambers as well - similar to the thing we encounter in our first colony (the one with teleports)

6 hours ago, cpy said:

Can we get asian difficulty too?

Well i have challenge collection in my modlist. You can set it so it reduces or increases the maptemperature 5°C each cycle at the same time you can increase the researchpoints needed by items by 8 and also the time it takes for the printing pod to charge.

You could also reduce the maptemperature by 20°C each cycle and start with 0 Kelvin if 5 is not asian difficult enough! (Its actually possible to play maps that are starting with 0 Kelvin when having algae on, i did this and it kinda was fun, it but i doubt it will be fun if the temperature still sinks each cycle.)

On 1/26/2022 at 8:10 AM, babba said:

To have "relaxed" FPS game play, it would be great if the true map size can be ( as option ) limited to have only one colony, plus unmanned rockets for space field resource gathering - All like in the old base game.

yup, exactly.

They certainly could entertain such requests. It is odd that the intellectual creator of this holds it so tightly. Why is it such a problem or threat to include productive, useful, good things(Optional even) for the players? Seems to just be a thing at this studio, and this title, IMHO.

Archived