Wortox is too good

Wortox is fun, cool, but too good. He has easily counterable downsides and is way too tanky, he’s an imp, he is tankier than a ROBOT and he’s a generally frail imp. 150 health, also i believe having souls should drain sanity faster, he should be able to maybe use souls to craft spirits or something, and could craft a healing staff with it, his healing should heal less health as well, overall he needs a pretty big change, I have a friend that mains Wortox and he always excels never really struggles, he’s better at fighting than Wolfgang since he gets literal invincibility frames when soul hopping. His design as a whole is just unbalanced and he needs a pretty big change.

EDIT: Just by seeing how i presented this you can tell i’m a noob, which i kind of am, looking back and seeing your comments shows that yeah he i excels early game but afterwards he becomes kind of useless other than healing, he was always a generally boring character to me anyways, my friend uses a Wortox beefalo combo which is quite effective and has never once failed us, “Jeff” is the absolute chad of a Beefalo i’m talking about. I find so many Dst characters lack good downsides and most are often sanity related, Wormwood i think has an amazing downside that makes the Player really have to adapt. 

10 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think his souls may stack too high and he has no real downsides but other then that, fun character :wilson_love:

(20 souls + animals you can stack in your inventory to kill for more souls is a bit much though)

he get half stats from food which is a downside even if is easy to overcome since consumes time and is a monster so you need to do everything by your own

20 souls takes a slot for getting healing which other character receive by eating tomatoes and using other stack for living creatures (which takes time to gather) isnt the best thing in the world. And be carefully about not gathering more souls than 20 during certain situation like a boss fight... Reducing the number will only make him less fun

every character can get the same as him  (healing food+lazy explorer) without his downsides.

Is good for unexperience players (and still less powerful than wendy or wigfrid and wirh a harder downside than these 2) mediocre for experience players because is a wilson that needs x2 healing food and x2 sanity food so no need for nerfs

Wortox has a rather high initial value in the early game but becomes less useful to the team in late game unless the team's using him as their primary healer for boss crushing.  You can see this happen in endless worlds that have gone a year or two in duration, the main value at that point of being him is to not need to go to ruins for more telepoof canes.

The soul hop invincibility frames isn't unique to Wortox now that Wanda exists with her backstep watch.  It's a statement of fact that a perfectly played Wanda would outperform a perfectly played Wortox when fighting a boss in getting the boss downed.  The risk vs reward is what should be considered.  (There's also the wardrobe thing, but I'd consider that more of an exploit if it hasn't been patched yet.)

I primarily chose Waxwell as my character to play, then went to Wortox when he came out and haven't deviated since.  To me Wortox is an ebb and flow type of character.  Strong throughput on the flow, but the ebb slows down the pace.

Overall I would say that he's in a good spot.  Experienced players tend to undervalue him and newer players tend to overvalue him.

2 hours ago, CarlZalph said:

Wortox has a rather high initial value in the early game but becomes less useful to the team in late game unless the team's using him as their primary healer for boss crushing.  You can see this happen in endless worlds that have gone a year or two in duration, the main value at that point of being him is to not need to go to ruins for more telepoof canes.

The soul hop invincibility frames isn't unique to Wortox now that Wanda exists with her backstep watch.  It's a statement of fact that a perfectly played Wanda would outperform a perfectly played Wortox when fighting a boss in getting the boss downed.  The risk vs reward is what should be considered.  (There's also the wardrobe thing, but I'd consider that more of an exploit if it hasn't been patched yet.)

I primarily chose Waxwell as my character to play, then went to Wortox when he came out and haven't deviated since.  To me Wortox is an ebb and flow type of character.  Strong throughput on the flow, but the ebb slows down the pace.

Overall I would say that he's in a good spot.  Experienced players tend to undervalue him and newer players tend to overvalue him.

Man you really really really hate Wendy huh? :lol: Funny that you mention her though, because a Wortox anywhere near Abigail will quickly over run with souls- or he Would.. if they did not stack all the way to 20. 

Which is why I suggest lowering it to like 10-15, you would really need to pay attention not to overload on them & be deemed as “Greedy”

Wortox is also a character I tend to play without using Armor (free heals is pretty good why waste the Armors?)

Is he OP?? Maybe only on PC- On a console controller he can only soul hop in front of him in the direction he is facing within and by a predetermined length.

But… I still feel his souls limit should be lowered so he has to pay closer attention to not overload them.

On 1/9/2022 at 8:26 AM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

for that wolfgang, wicker, wx, wigfrid, wendy, woodie, warly, maxwell, weeber and even winona are better than him

he has easy heals u can grind butterflies for so much easy heal and teleports and his ability is very flashy and cool, him and wanda are pretty close to p2w characters they're very unbalanced and have so much stuff added to them to make them appear interesting for ppl to buy them more

47 minutes ago, . . . said:

he has easy heals u can grind butterflies for so much easy heal and teleports and his ability is very flashy and cool, him and wanda are pretty close to p2w characters they're very unbalanced and have so much stuff added to them to make them appear interesting for ppl to buy them more

what is a "pay to win" in dst? how do you "win" in dst?

1 hour ago, Dr.Medic said:

what is a "pay to win" in dst? how do you "win" in dst?

not dying and having an easier time surviving

with wortox's souls and how easy they are to grind he never goes hungry, always is at max hp, and always keeps players near him at max hp, being able to teleport without the need of a hard to get special item is also really broken ability

wanda was like pure p2w, infinite revives, and can deal 600+ dmg with her unique weapon

even walter has p2w qualities with having so many different abilities such as a chester/beefalo creature always with him and a ranged weapon and no sanity loss and the ability to regen everyone's sanity

the only dlc characters which are balanced are wurt and wormwood, but they usually make the dlc characters over the top powerful in a way to get more sales.

you'd never see a free (free as in made with the intention of always being free, Walter doesn't count since he was only made free because of blm) character getting any crazy powers such as the dlc characters like wortox or wanda. and the free top-tiers are just going to get nerfs like wolfgang got nerfed, wickerbottom's books were nerfed a while ago and when her rework comes she will be nerfed even more along with wx

In my humble opinion, there is no such thing as OP is DST.

Wortox may be able to cheese bosses, get infinite heals, and use an endgame ability for the cost of 10 punches to a bee, but all of those things are useless in the hands of a player who doesn't know the game (the same goes for all other characters). Likewise, even a Wilson can rush the ruins or beat Deerclops without taking damage, as long as the player knows what they are doing. Plus, even while healing infinitely and teleporting around the map, Wortox has one of the most crippling downsides in the game when it comes to any food ever.

TLDR; It's not the character that's OP, it's the player

23 minutes ago, UbiAnomaly said:

but all of those things are useless in the hands of a player who doesn't know the game

i mean that can be said for pretty much anything

23 minutes ago, UbiAnomaly said:

Wortox has one of the most crippling downsides in the game when it comes to any food ever.

his downside of getting only halved stats from food doesn't really matter much when anything he kills is 20+ hunger if he's at full hp already. if you just kill weak mobs like bats, bees, butterflies, ect. and you're wearing armor you're basically invincible as wortox. this is also ignoring the fact that wortox doesn't even need to kill the mobs to get souls, a better player can just do it while wortox watches and he'll gets his own free food/healing meaning he never even needs to touch an icebox or crockpot if he's with a character like wanda, wolfgang, or wigfrid

though what you said was your opinion, this is just my opinions i personally dont really care if he's broken, but it's pretty clear he's a very broken character in the game. 

Wes is hard mode in dst, but wortox is effortless mode lmao

wortox only feels op if you arent good ar the game... is a weak "wigfrid" because it gives a easier time to noobs because they dont know about lazy explorer or pierogies and RWYS farms. Nobody dies of hunger in this game and for healing you can plant tomatoes and potatoes to get insane ammounts of healing that stack in bigger numbers. Things that can be achieved after the 1st winter

for an experience player wortox is just a very fun character, a magical wilson that makes cook meat stews and fight with shadows more often. Very useful to help my friends but only because they dont know how to use all the ingredients to heal and, even if they do know, they will be slower for not being familiar with them so is quickly to just heal them and in fights they dont need to think about healing

if wortox is op then we can say that woodie is god.

for being a p2w game klei do silly things, wendy and wigfrid should be sold via a 50€ chest+battle pass

6 hours ago, . . . said:

his downside of getting only halved stats from food doesn't really matter much when anything he kills is 20+ hunger if he's at full hp already. if you just kill weak mobs like bats, bees, butterflies, ect. and you're wearing armor you're basically invincible as wortox.

in paper, in reallity you will be wasting time fighting shadows while a wilson will do all the task faster and will eat a 150 hunger dish. And for boss fights it matters since you get half sanity and half hp (sure you can trap living mobs but that takes even longer than cooking)

did you played it or just read his perks and think he is op? is a pain playing long term wortox for how much time you waste fighting shadows if you eat souls or cooking x2 (not x2 because at the end is a mix of both food and souls but is grindier than wilson)  

12 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

did you played it or just read his perks and think he is op?

well i wont lie i didnt play wortox personally because im not going to spend anything on dlc i cant use while offline, but all the wortox players i played with basically played like that. they'd always keep everyone to full hp and never needed to eat anything other than souls and they got craptons of nightmare fuel too.

he seemed absolutely busted, he even carried the casuals which kept dying with his heals lol

Archived