10 hours ago, gabberworld said:

Espero que um dia eles encontrem uma maneira de usar mais GPU e menos CPU.

I believe that with a little will they can, as I said, I hope that instead of trying to launch another dlc they try to fix the game on this issue of lag

For the DLC ( and the later base game update ) Klei had decided that more tiles will be calculated in the game, resulting in a bigger game map + rocket interior tiles, which raised the calculation load on the 1.5 cores the game effectively utilizes on a players computer.

IMHO the player base is hopefully lucky to have Klei working on the game more years, so players either have to wait for a wonder in a few years or upgrade their cpu. IMHO Klei`s ongoing development FPS improvements will always be eaten up and nulled with more added game content.

The games FPS scales to this cpu list: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Players upgrading their system with a top single threading cpu will automatically have the perfect gpu load driver for (other) graphic card games.

New babba stability record, nearly 3000 cycles without crash :congratulatory:

image.png.b0f16e37074e7760cd6d289c6c833a50.png

Yeah, with the base game I guess its perhaps dynamic map generation and other under-the-hood-stuff they updated with the base game,in order to make it slower. :lol:

Was not sure if the map size in the base game had stayed the same :confused:, I never played the base game during 2021.

BTW babba is expanding in to space ! :ghost: Working on a new roof...

image.thumb.png.ce8561651662b02b3b8b761b8bc9df11.pngimage.thumb.png.edd968e265c00393e967b0f86742ebc6.png

Steam Turbines will be added someday later in to the roof, will turn the top in to a Steam Room.

1 hour ago, cpy said:

My theory is that this game is so addictive that if you didn't rage quit due to insanely low FPS you'd die of hunger or something becase you'd be only playing ONI and not doing anything else.

There is truth in that. I remember day one of the game, where my thinking was...

"This game is awesome! I want to play one save game forever, but with a much bigger map! I need to find out how I can play on a 16 times larger map! Ah, ok I managed to change the map settings to a 16 times larger map by changing some game files, good that I just built a dedicated cpu computer for the game! Now I can play ONI, Cities Skylines and any other game to the max!" :lol:

Some time later I reduced my first save game to a 4x time larger map, as the new introduced flying rocket men in the game just sucked too much FPS ( together with a few hundred dupes ). :lol:

16 times larger back then just was too ambitious - Too many tile calculations, animations and path finding.

Back then, in the old base game, my 4-5 screen size large automatic-mushroom-farm took quiet some space from my colony. Sadly I had to trash everything to be able to play new content. IMHO, in a perfect world, Klei adds nothing new to the game for 5 years and then launches DLC 2-6 all at once on the same day in 2026. Then its ok to start a fresh save :ghost:

The game makes the ambitious to play the game of getting the maximum calculation result per real cpu core out of your system.

ONI is actually a cpu building game in disguise, it should be renamed to ONI PC Builder.

image.thumb.png.2694b1842bf0c4804f2060e1c287de24.png Typical user reaction of playing with slow cpu cores

When the game launched, I went instantly to the forum and complained "The game does not use all cpu cores!". When was that, 4 years ago :confused::confused::confused:

image.thumb.png.1623aee7d7c764a53a0770fe9aa0e99e.png I love my washing machines :congratulatory:

9 hours ago, babba said:

So the only solution I see is to delete the game and wait for the day when Klei decides to work and fix the game, I'm just really sad to know that this will probably never happen and even sadder to see that they won't even change the minimum requirements that the game asks to play it ok, because if you tell a new player that he needs an i7, i9 to play ONI which is a 2D game, he will probably laugh at you and not buy the game.

54 minutes ago, Timmmy said:

because if you tell a new player that he needs an i7, i9

question is what cpu you have? because our benchmark tests also shows that allot other cpus is ok as well like rizen 5600x, just intel 12 series ones are currently best for oni game.

and maybe its not even a cpu. maybe you have very bad memory at your pc because fact is allot memory modules are not best of the best in market

3d games uses GPU with they own memory so that is different

6 hours ago, Timmmy said:

So the only solution I see is to delete the game and wait for the day when Klei decides to work and fix the game, I'm just really sad to know that this will probably never happen and even sadder to see that they won't even change the minimum requirements that the game asks to play it ok, because if you tell a new player that he needs an i7, i9 to play ONI which is a 2D game, he will probably laugh at you and not buy the game.

I understand your sadness or anger, I was the same years ago with ONI :ghost:

There is the frustrated ranting faction, the waiting faction, the game avoidance faction ( :confused: ), the hoping faction, the do`er faction and the enjoying faction - You can change faction any time and be part of multiple faction at the same time, if you like. Relax my friend, handing you a nice warm coffee :razz:

My first post in the forum was a cpu rant 4 years ago :lol: I played the games editor for 1 hour and was totally hooked, then I designed and built an ONi PC. Its quite old now ( modified 7700K with 1 kilo aircooler ). In the last 30 years I always focused on max compute output per core, as there is lots of cpu hungry games and gpu`s need to be fed.

Once there is a 5000 score cpu for $300 on the market, it will be time for a new board, speedy ram and cpu for me. Out with the antics :boxing: Gamer by heart, since many decades. 1-2 years, I`m looking forward to the new ONI PC build and more DLC`s.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

A lot of systems, boards and cpu`s also end on the used market for small bucks. :beguiled: It is a friendly forum, people tend to help each other on questions. You can lookup your cpu in the list to find out where you are standing performance wise and estimate performance improvements, if you decide to someday upgrade.

May the dupes and the fun be always with you :applause:

On 12/29/2021 at 2:37 PM, Timmmy said:

So why is this not reported on steam? When we look at the minimum and recommended requirements at no time does it say that we need a super processor to run the game... So people buy the game, play for 10-15 hours, which is the time to reach a cycle between 100-150, the game starts to become extremely unstable and it is no longer possible to refund, because the 2 hours have already passed... image.png.70a264d5611a6ec6dbb6717cb6936f76.png

The game has been out of beta for years, and even after so long, they forgot to update the minimum requirements, because of course you don't just need a 64bit processor to be able to play this game.

(When I say playing the game, I'm talking about after a few hours the game starts to get unstable... Because it's possible to open the game with a 64bit processor, but I very much doubt that after 20 hours of playing you with a dual core will still be able to same performance as the beginning...)

there is one thing tho. at intel hd 4600 this game does run like a crap in my machine, like 5-6 fps

or it was driver issues as currently it have higher fps

anyway that minimum requirement is not really good

well atleast it works, older unity engine not even supported that. when they switch 2018 version it started work. soo unity engine is improve himself by years aswell

--

note FORZA 5 at latest intel cpus runs over 250fps with rtx 3080

i todo some tests. with my intel hd 4600

and funny fact is latest oni does have 1-2 fps more than older version 420700

plus they fixed that main menu issue soo at there is like 10 fps more

i know its not much but it shows for me that they todo some improvement for game

if anyone want know then this game runs at 21 fps with intel hd 4600 in my laptop at cycle 1

i to have also GPU, at there fps is much higher tho

anyway it shows that, fix little bit this and fix little bit that, and you can increase fps,

On 12/30/2021 at 9:35 AM, babba said:

ack then, in the old base game, my 4-5 screen size large automatic-mushroom-farm took quiet some space from my colony. Sadly I had to trash everything to be able to play new content. IMHO, in a perfect world, Klei adds nothing new to the game for 5 years and then launches DLC 2-6 all at once on the same day in 2026. Then its ok to start a fresh save :ghost:

Snake mod for mushroom farm? ONI needs more badgers.

While i understand that some people love the game and will defend it's shortcomings, i have to agree that the fps issue is something it should have been either adressed by now, or avoided from the start.

I love oni, but the speed at wich it drops frames is something that makes me not really want to play it. I don't really eant to play a game that drops to half it's speed after a couple dozen hours.

I understand there are reasons for that, but they should be adressed, and i would really like Klei would prioritize that over new content. There are many times i want to come back to ONI, but the slugfest it turns to and how fast it does prevents me from doing so.

9 minutes ago, marioespinho said:

While i understand that some people love the game and will defend it's shortcomings, i have to agree that the fps issue is something it should have been either adressed by now, or avoided from the start.

I love oni, but the speed at wich it drops frames is something that makes me not really want to play it. I don't really eant to play a game that drops to half it's speed after a couple dozen hours.

I understand there are reasons for that, but they should be adressed, and i would really like Klei would prioritize that over new content. There are many times i want to come back to ONI, but the slugfest it turns to and how fast it does prevents me from doing so.

noone defending them tho but instead they are simply more realistic from they own skills and experience.

On 12/30/2021 at 4:35 PM, babba said:

When the game launched, I went instantly to the forum and complained "The game does not use all cpu cores!". When was that, 4 years ago :confused::confused::confused:

In addition to this, the game is quite the RAM hog, which has been the case since I first started playing it during the Tubular Update years ago. Though it might because I'm using really old DDR3 1866Mhz RAM. Just look it burn over 16GB of RAM! She's hungrier for RAM than a Toyota Tundra Dodge RAM Hemi towing the Space Shuttle Endeavour up a 30 degree incline and 35 mouth breather dupes with bottomless stomachs at Ravenous Hunger game setting combined woooo! And she gets even hungrier the more you reload your save file!

1203308790_ONIRAMHOG.thumb.jpg.70800e1593ec022d640ad63438d5eece.jpg

3 hours ago, gabberworld said:

noone defending them tho but instead they are simply more realistic from they own skills and experience.

Well, i think it's not unrealistic to assume the game is poorly optimized and could (should?) run better than it does.

There are plenty of games out there that share the same kind of processing ONI does and do not have the same issues, or at least do not have them as soon as this one does.

Base game is kind of bearable, but Spaced Out release is far from it. Is it unplayable? No. But it's far from being okay as it is.

I bought Spaced Out as soon as it released in beta, but the persistent frame drop problems made me enjoy less and less playing everytime i went 40/50 cycles in. And that is even if i try to minimize stuff like leaving debris around, mixing biomes, etc.

7 minutes ago, marioespinho said:

Well, i think it's not unrealistic to assume the game is poorly optimized and could (should?) run better than it does.

There are plenty of games out there that share the same kind of processing ONI does and does not have the same issues, or at least does not have them as soon as this one does.

Base game is kind of bearable, but Spaced Out release is far from it. Is it unplayable? No. But it's far from being okay as it is.

I bought Spaced Out as soon as it released, but the persistent frame drop problems made me enjoy less and less playing everytime i went 40/50 cycles in. And that is even if i try to minimize stuff like leaving debris around, mixing biomes, etc.

about the Spaced Out DLC, at there is 2 versions. Classic and the Spaced Out. if you choose Classic version i to guarantee that this one uses more fps

because its allot bigger that the base game self

another thing is they cant magically take somewhere extra 40 fps, (well intel hd 4600 shows that it needs that because it runs at low fps)

it would be allot work and redesign the code how it works atm.

but yes i to see that they can increase performance by change some stuff differently

11 hours ago, g5457s said:

In addition to this, the game is quite the RAM hog, which has been the case since I first started playing it during the Tubular Update years ago. Though it might because I'm using really old DDR3 1866Mhz RAM. Just look it burn over 16GB of RAM! She's hungrier for RAM than a Toyota Tundra Dodge RAM Hemi towing the Space Shuttle Endeavour up a 30 degree incline and 35 mouth breather dupes with bottomless stomachs at Ravenous Hunger game setting combined woooo! And she gets even hungrier the more you reload your save file!

1203308790_ONIRAMHOG.thumb.jpg.70800e1593ec022d640ad63438d5eece.jpg

Mhhh, are you playing with mods ? In my experience the game commonly uses 5.5 GB RAM ( on testing builds sometimes running up to 7GB over a long time play session here, until a save game was "fresh" loaded ) and its like that on my system since 4 years...in the +3000 hours I have played the game. But this is my personal experience, your Task Manager does not lie :razz: Game Mods :confused::confused::confused::ghost:

I must say that I only ever really had one big colony in the DLC big map though, at least in my current save game ( playing since +3000 cycles ).

----------------

Update:

Hui hui hui ! What a shocker...Maybe the RAM consumption is depending on the amount of tiles excavated ( simulated ) and the ever increasing stuff laying around in a colony :confused::confused::confused:

DLC classic map, fresh loaded save game, the only visible and the only excavated colony

image.thumb.png.b463cbb660609ef91a690c8f090c770b.png

image.thumb.png.8f4a136cca1a4a35d8a39d4876243303.pngimage.png.2fe5bed228b63d18c09200b24dda39a3.png

babba is exploring space further !

image.thumb.png.aace0ba93ea2b5bd02c159205eda1690.png Space, the final frontier

image.png.9c8117af4a378381f1e31fe8a2e6a521.png

2 hours ago, babba said:

Mhhh, are you playing with mods ? In my experience the game commonly uses 5.5 GB RAM ( on testing builds sometimes running up to 7GB over a long time play session here, until a save game was "fresh" loaded ) and its like that on my system since 4 years...in the +3000 hours I have played the game. But this is my personal experience, your Task Manager does not lie :razz: Game Mods :confused::confused::confused::ghost:

I must say that I only ever really had one big colony in the DLC big map though, at least in my current save game ( playing since +3000 cycles ).

I have mods but they're all disabled. Unlike my dupe torture/grinder sandbox/debug colonies, this is one of my "serious" games in a classic asteroid cluster. Main asteroid, nearby asteroid, water asteroid and angry tree asteroid are colonized and well-developed I think. Almsot all the rockets are furnished as well. Still have to colonize the cold, lava, fartcow and regolith asteroids though :D

3 hours ago, babba said:

Update:

Hui hui hui ! What a shocker...Maybe the RAM consumption is depending on the amount of tiles excavated ( simulated ) and the ever increasing stuff laying around in a colony :confused::confused::confused:

DLC classic map, fresh loaded save game, the only visible and the only excavated colony

Freshly loaded save game: almost 10GB RAM. Similar results to mine despite my old rig (i7-4770 processor, 32GB DDR3 1866Mhz RAM)

1058992030_FRESHRAMUSELOADONI.thumb.jpg.65255dbefdbd236ba33aa5af71f8ed27.jpg

More screenshots in spoiler showing colonized asteroids

Spoiler

457140_20220102094925_1.thumb.png.a00eb013c6e6d8bfdba9939a39720b61.png

457140_20220102094945_1.thumb.png.960510e66d865721dc17e420dea83e99.png

457140_20220102095003_1.thumb.png.3656c64f16bc595ea3277b66acd45b8e.png

457140_20220102095028_1.thumb.png.9cb720980bc8dadd5acb71bde00ef689.png

457140_20220102095634_1.thumb.png.b08d461b44f53165fe1bb6062d3a7238.png

I feel like ONI performance issues are like a stone in the garden, but the garden it's not Klei's - it belongs to CPU developers...

Just why we can't have decent 2 or 4 cores CPU, with amazing single core speed and instead we are fed with ultimately weaker and weaker swarms of cores CPU...

Now I look at my 10+ years old PC using AMD Phenom triple-core processor ~2,4ghz (on which I have played ONI at first) and think... New CPU are not that much faster or better, they just have more cores which doesn't help a lot while playing ONI.

So all the complaints about performance it's not for Klei. It is meant for CPU developers and sellers.

I think Klei have done significant work making ONI playable even on old devices, so slow performance it's not so trivial. I doubt that I could even start Forza or smth like it on my old PC, but I can still play ONI although with FPS around 1.

Just for the record. My old PC have 4gb of ram, geforce 210 2gb, windows 7 64-bit.

17 hours ago, WhiteWind36 said:

I feel like ONI performance issues are like a stone in the garden, but the garden it's not Klei's - it belongs to CPU developers...

Just why we can't have decent 2 or 4 cores CPU, with amazing single core speed and instead we are fed with ultimately weaker and weaker swarms of cores CPU...

Now I look at my 10+ years old PC using AMD Phenom triple-core processor ~2,4ghz (on which I have played ONI at first) and think... New CPU are not that much faster or better, they just have more cores which doesn't help a lot while playing ONI.

So all the complaints about performance it's not for Klei. It is meant for CPU developers and sellers.

I think Klei have done significant work making ONI playable even on old devices, so slow performance it's not so trivial. I doubt that I could even start Forza or smth like it on my old PC, but I can still play ONI although with FPS around 1.

Just for the record. My old PC have 4gb of ram, geforce 210 2gb, windows 7 64-bit.

i would scream if i would have only 4gib ram for pc memory, when memory goes full it starts use allot hdd what would slows down pc so badly like hell, that's why my laptop have 32gib memory. at beginning it had only 8 but soon i realized it just not have enoh memory for play games and run windows  and other programs smoothly, fact is only by type this text to here, Firefox uses self over 1gib memory, you not see that tho in low pc memory because it uses hdd

i to have old pcs as well, but i not use those for everyday usage

1 hour ago, gabberworld said:

i to have old pcs as well, but i not use those for everyday usage

And I use my old PC more than laptop... Only for playing ONI I swapped to laptop. And I didn't had problems playing lots of games on my old PC. For example "Don't starve", "Rim world", "Graveyard Keeper" or "Heroes of might and magic 3" even Skyrim and Witcher first and second, dragon age origins and inquisition - although on lowest quality settings.. Also it is perfect as media center for watching movies and listening music.

5 minutes ago, WhiteWind36 said:

And I use my old PC more than laptop... Only for playing ONI I swapped to laptop. And I didn't had problems playing lots of games on my old PC. For example "Don't starve", "Rim world", "Graveyard Keeper" or "Heroes of might and magic 3". Also it is perfect as media center for watching movies and listening music.

and when you replace your geforce 210 little bit newer one and include more memory. you would be having even better pc :P

i don't know what motherboard you have but allot video-cards support older generation PCI-E slots, like gtx970 should able run at pci-e v2

Archived