2 hours ago, gabberworld said:

and when you replace your geforce 210 little bit newer one and include more memory. you would be having even better pc :P

i don't know what motherboard you have but allot video-cards support older generation PCI-E slots, like gtx970 should able run at pci-e v2

Yes, you are right about that. I just don't want to upgrade this old PC anyways... It would be better to rebuild it with new mother board, CPU, DDR and GPU... So all is left is SSD hard drive which I could use in new computer and power supply. But I rather thinking about buying mini pc solely for ONI, and for my budget i5 10300H with 16 GB memory and integrated GPU is the best shot. And it will be cheaper than buying mother board, CPU, DDR and GPU separately.

Back to the topic, I can complain about my limited budget, which doesn't let me have powerful enough computer to play oxygen at lightning speed, but I do understand that developers do what they can to improve performance for everyone and my or anyone's else complaints about low FPS provide no help for developers.

2 hours ago, WhiteWind36 said:

i5 10300H

i would not buy laptop at all unless if it is really needed , also UHD Graphics is not good, even my old gtx970 what is made 2014 is like 600-1000% better from that integrated gpu

unless if you talk about ASUS TUF Gaming. what can be find with gtx1650 Ti integrated gpu, and are kind off cheap gaming laptops

2 hours ago, gabberworld said:

also UHD Graphics is not good, even my old gtx970 what is made 2014 is like 600-1000% better from that integrated gpu

Well for ONI I think GPU doesn't do much. Now I am playing on ryzen5 2500u with integrated Vega 8 GPU and 8gb DDR and it's alright... The problem with ONI lag is because of CPU and DDR memory and a better CPU with much better DDR memory cost almost same as any good GPU. So while I don't plan on playing games which need powerful GPU - I don't feel like wasting my money paying double.

1 hour ago, Pedro_L said:

That image is a lie, you can play ONI on a DX10 gpu

I know, I did

Intel 3000

yes, as unity engine currently support windows basic drivers, you could run this game at almost any videocard

note. this was not possible early unity engine aka at oni version 275206 and earlier versions

On 1/4/2022 at 12:14 PM, WhiteWind36 said:

I feel like ONI performance issues are like a stone in the garden, but the garden it's not Klei's - it belongs to CPU developers...

Just why we can't have decent 2 or 4 cores CPU, with amazing single core speed and instead we are fed with ultimately weaker and weaker swarms of cores CPU...

Now I look at my 10+ years old PC using AMD Phenom triple-core processor ~2,4ghz (on which I have played ONI at first) and think... New CPU are not that much faster or better, they just have more cores which doesn't help a lot while playing ONI.

So all the complaints about performance it's not for Klei. It is meant for CPU developers and sellers.

I think Klei have done significant work making ONI playable even on old devices, so slow performance it's not so trivial. I doubt that I could even start Forza or smth like it on my old PC, but I can still play ONI although with FPS around 1.

Just for the record. My old PC have 4gb of ram, geforce 210 2gb, windows 7 64-bit.

Wait, so you say that all CPU developers have to change the way they make processors, because it's their fault that the game runs poorly and not klei who doesn't know how to optimize his game? You're kidding, right?

On 1/5/2022 at 8:54 AM, WhiteWind36 said:

Yes, you are right about that. I just don't want to upgrade this old PC anyways... It would be better to rebuild it with new mother board, CPU, DDR and GPU... So all is left is SSD hard drive which I could use in new computer and power supply. But I rather thinking about buying mini pc solely for ONI, and for my budget i5 10300H with 16 GB memory and integrated GPU is the best shot. And it will be cheaper than buying mother board, CPU, DDR and GPU separately.

Back to the topic, I can complain about my limited budget, which doesn't let me have powerful enough computer to play oxygen at lightning speed, but I do understand that developers do what they can to improve performance for everyone and my or anyone's else complaints about low FPS provide no help for developers.

The problem is that even someone who has a very good machine still suffers from performance issues, and no matter what you say, it's unacceptable that a game like ONI after a few hours drops the colony's FPS by half because klei doesn't know how to optimize the game.

On 1/7/2022 at 11:05 AM, Pedro_L said:

That image is a lie, you can play ONI on a DX10 gpu

I know, I did

Intel 3000

Playing does not mean that the game is ``playable``. You can actually open the game and play for a few hours with the recommended setting or even a smaller one, but I doubt you'll be able to make it PLAYABLE after a while.

8 hours ago, Timmmy said:

Wait, so you say that all CPU developers have to change the way they make processors, because it's their fault that the game runs poorly and not klei who doesn't know how to optimize his game? You're kidding, right?

It's exactly what I say. I think oxygen would run smoothly on specially designed processor, because it is a special game. I can't think of other game with such mechanics and that's what makes ONI special, also it requires huge counting capabilities on a single core, which makes you think it is not well optimized, but it is a specific task - processing all of the physics and mechanics for stable simulation - and as I understand it cannot be divided for different cores, because of how hardware is processing data.

46 minutes ago, WhiteWind36 said:

It's exactly what I say. I think oxygen would run smoothly on specially designed processor, because it is a special game. I can't think of other game with such mechanics and that's what makes ONI special, also it requires huge counting capabilities on a single core, which makes you think it is not well optimized, but it is a specific task - processing all of the physics and mechanics for stable simulation - and as I understand it cannot be divided for different cores, because of how hardware is processing data.

so do you think it's easier for cpu developers to develop a new ONI-specific cpu, than klei to fix the game? are you really reading what you're writing?

10 minutes ago, Timmmy said:

so do you think it's easier for cpu developers to develop a new ONI-specific cpu, than klei to fix the game? are you really reading what you're writing?

I am thinking that CPU developers should make a processor capable to do immense physics simulations if we want serious simulators, not talking about that one day not so far we would need physics simulation and complex mechanics for VR, and it's not even comparable to 2D game - which now gives solid challenge for all commercial CPU.

So what I wish to say - is that Klei is way more in the future compared to CPU development.

Are you serious? We already HAVE CPUs capable of running immense physics simulations that only cost a few hundred bucks a piece;
Then we have graphic cards, which, depending on the workload, can easily run circles around these CPUs,
Overall there's a hard to imagine amount of processing power available to us nowadays.
We've come so far in that regard that we're closing in on the physical limits on whats possible with processor design,
which is also one of the reasons why we get more and more cores instead of one or two faster ones.

The big problem is that nobody, and i really mean nobody, gives a **** about optimization these days because memory and processing power is so cheap -
People who are willing to spend large amounts of time to optimize code are very rare, people who are willing to pay the former are even rarer...

...its like using a car to drive to a grocery shop, but instead of driving the 1 kilometer directly, you drive in the opposite direction (around the whole friggin' world) until you reach it and then complain why the journey took so long and that we need faster cars...

It's the same with ONI. I love this game to bits, but it really does the "drive around the world" thing in terms of efficiency,
there's so much you could optimize by splitting the workload around more CPUs (the easiest being letting each spaced out worldmap run in a separated thread), and there's likely five times as much potential when you remove overheads and properly utilize the CPU (e.g. caches!) during calculations.
Especially the latter is one of the reasons Factorio runs like a madman even on gigantic bases.

I wish we could get optimizations... small but significant difference :/

I'm a programmer myself, one of the rare ones that would like to optimize everything - Guess what i'm doing...
Yeah, bruteforcing, "execution speed doesn't matter", "costs too much money", "but it runs fine?!", blah blah f**king blah! *Rrrgh*

On 1/9/2022 at 7:17 PM, Timmmy said:

Playing does not mean that the game is ``playable``. You can actually open the game and play for a few hours with the recommended setting or even a smaller one, but I doubt you'll be able to make it PLAYABLE after a while.

I played until cycle 2000

On 1/10/2022 at 4:32 PM, LunaticLea said:

I'm a programmer myself, one of the rare ones that would like to optimize everything

unfortunately you not the only one, i to like also optimize, sometimes it takes days for figure out what would be best, sometimes i think even when i sleep

because i play this stuff, i to know also that there hardware limitation, that is simply not possible beat

Archived