i have trouble with micromanagement, and just managing more than one colony in general.

whenever i go to a new planet, it takes a very long time to set up a new colony, meanwhile, im still only on cycle 150, so i still have lots of long term things(food, power, oxygen, etc.) to establish, and i find it close to impossible to manage two colonies, let alone 8 late-game.

Help?

just play the classic vanilla game.

It is one map and one base.

Another option if you want to play the DLC. Start the classic start (terra or swamp); the main asteroid has almost all resources needed to get to the mid-game stage. Get the colony at the main asteroid run intervention free - so it has ample oxygen generation and food. 

That is quite easy on these two starts - cold water is available to make oxygen and grow plants. 

When everything is well set on the main asteroid you can gradually explore  and develop other asteroids. 

Give yourself some time. I am currently on a classic start cycle 3412 and I have yet to establish another colony. Just make sure all existing colonies are stable without any need to manage them before you establish new ones.

5 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Give yourself some time. I am currently on a classic start cycle 3412 and I have yet to establish another colony. Just make sure all existing colonies are stable without any need to manage them before establish new ones.

Classic mode?

okay. thank you, but i see one problem.

i am very impatient, and i have very little time to play ONI.

if i get lucky with geysers, establishing sustainability will be easy.

also, unrelated: if i use the hot water from a (cool) steam vent to get oil, and then i turn to petrol, and then burn/ use for stuff, will i overall delete some of the heat?

Instead of trying to manage 2 colonies just move most dupes to the other one. The first colony will likely do fine if you leave it with 2-3 dupes maybe even 1. Establish a new base on your other planetoid with most dupes and just send resources from the original one. Then hop to the next, establish transport and move your base there.

Might not be ideal but should work.

17 minutes ago, spike4597 said:

okay. thank you, but i see one problem.

if i get lucky with geysers, establishing sustainability will be easy.

also, unrelated: if i use the hot water from a (cool) steam vent to get oil, and then i turn to petrol, and then burn/ use for stuff, will i overall delete some of the heat?

the short answer is not common but possible.

If you want to cool/delete heat, use AETN, wheezeworts, Steam Turbine/AquaTuner

Now let's come back to your scheme. You get 110degC steam from the cold steam vent. You need to cool it down to below 100C to get it turned to water or alternatively you can heat it up with AquaTuner and create some cold (very effective if you use super coolant) and 95degC water from the steam turbine. The second option is preferable in the long run. Here you will delete some heat in the second scenario or produce heat in the first scenario.

This 95C water may go into the oil well; however it depends on the surrounding temperature, if it is high, your water will break the pipe and turn into steam. The problem is not even with the pipe but any water left in the hot oil well will turn into steam. To avoid it you need to either reduce the oil well temperature or constantly supply the oil well with water flow via thermoinsulated pipe.

The oil well will induce very hot natural gas (300C as far as I recall) and 95C oil. So if you keep it in a close system it will heat up gradually (to about 100C??? to be checked)

Now, oil at about 90+ (heated by natural gas) will go to the petrol refinery (if you use the building rather than special boilers), the output oil will be of same temperature and then you send it to oil generator which will produce polluted water (which will turn at high temperature into dirt and steam which using Steam Turbine will turn again into 95C water). If you make everything from steel, it should work. 

The main point again - you will use ST/AT couple to make cold.

Just to give you some ideas. Here is oil biome set-up. I do not use even oil wells as slicksters produce enough oil for me. 

I just pump CO2 from dupe living space (at low temperature) and CO2 from CO2 vent 500C which is cooled down to 125C using Steam Turbine.

The temperature inside the oil biome is at about 100C which is ok for standard and lava slicksters. They are not domesticated (but wild) and do not require any dupe time and do not die of starvation. You can raise the temperature to 170C and have only lava slicksters produces pure petrol but then domestication may be needed as you may have attrition due to decorative slicksters (with very small chance they will be born and die at the high temperature).

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.24e778c9bb7e2cf08831421bcd4cdc5d.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.41c173005b1c789a6b3e4054b40c77bf.png

Here above I tried to utilize the natural gas from the refinery (and two of my dupes have "natural gas emission" trait. I realized that it was too complicated for the effect I got - not efficient. So it was not necessary. 

I am surprised that you go for oil at the early stage game.

In my view it is for mid-game. I mainly use oil for petrol rockets. Plastic is always from drekkos.

You may use the water from cold steam vent to produce oxygen (electrolizers accept 95C water).

Also if you use ST/ AT you can chill some of this water to provide 20C water to plants. 

I would use manual generators for electricity and later - coal and then solar panels. 

14 hours ago, Pedro_L said:

Classic mode?

This time classic start, but I did not go much faster in one of the new "pebble" starts. If you make new colonies before the existing ones are low/zero maintenance, you are just going to inflict cognitive overload on yourself. 

12 hours ago, spike4597 said:

Well, hat is the issue right there. This is not a game where you can achieve a lot of things fast. Maybe just aim a little lower then.

17 hours ago, DolphinWing said:

I prefer to stable one colony first then start building rockets to another planetoid.

It's a single player sandbox game. Why rush?

A lot of resources you can only find on other planet's, exploration, the challenge itself etc.

5 hours ago, Gurgel said:

This time classic start, but I did not go much faster in one of the new "pebble" starts. If you make new colonies before the existing ones are low/zero maintenance, you are just going to inflict cognitive overload on yourself.

Oh, I'm certain that it would be hard on my brain to establish another colony early, but the space out starts look a little light on the initial resources to last 3000 cycles

But I think that if I were to go to other planet's it would be better to just strip mine them and send the things back

17 hours ago, spike4597 said:

Oil Wells are inheritly heat multiplying, 3.3 kg of oil have way more specific heat capacity than a liter of water

I don't know about petroleum generators because I usually don't even bother with them since there are more ways to generate power that seem better to me, but sour gas boilers could be used to dispose of a lot of heat through burning natural gas and feeding some slicksters/carbon skimmers and steam turbines

19 hours ago, KonfigSys said:

This 95C water may go into the oil well; however it depends on the surrounding temperature, if it is high, your water will break the pipe and turn into steam. The problem is not even with the pipe but any water left in the hot oil well will turn into steam. To avoid it you need to either reduce the oil well temperature or constantly supply the oil well with water flow via thermoinsulated pipe.

The oil well will induce very hot natural gas (300C as far as I recall) and 95C oil. So if you keep it in a close system it will heat up gradually (to about 100C??? to be checked)

Submerge the oil well in their own oil can remove water pipe break problem entirely.

13 minutes ago, SackMaggie said:

Submerge the oil well in their own oil can remove water pipe break problem entirely.

thanks for the tip, if I use oil wells I will; generally, I do not use oil wells but slicksters.

However, if the surrounding temperature will be above 100C, the oil will also get to this temperature, don't you think?

You don't have to manage multiple colonies. I made three colonies, then abandoned two and just play on first asteroid. Resources are sent automatically from other planetoids through interplanetary launcher. On remote planetoid you really need only rocket platform, solar power and geyser tamers. Beds, atmo suit docs, tables, food, oxygen - all is inside rocket. You can put up to 3 atmo suit docs (and 3 dupes) in one rocket, if you too impatient for this, you can build 2 platforms and have 6.

18 hours ago, KonfigSys said:

thanks for the tip, if I use oil wells I will; generally, I do not use oil wells but slicksters.

However, if the surrounding temperature will be above 100C, the oil will also get to this temperature, don't you think?

Just use make a loop and put liquid valve set to 1000g/s then the hight temperature will not be a problem, you might even be capable of turning the crude oil in to petroleum from the source

9 hours ago, TeDeum said:

You don't have to manage multiple colonies. I made three colonies, then abandoned two and just play on first asteroid. Resources are sent automatically from other planetoids through interplanetary launcher. On remote planetoid you really need only rocket platform, solar power and geyser tamers. Beds, atmo suit docs, tables, food, oxygen - all is inside rocket. You can put up to 3 atmo suit docs (and 3 dupes) in one rocket, if you too impatient for this, you can build 2 platforms and have 6.

I do pretty much the same, but I try to place one service dupe. Have done so only on colonies with a water source so far, but I plan to use the "wild tree" cycle for water generation next on a colony with no water, maybe even the Regolith one for some additional challenge (no solar). I also have plans to use the launcher for automated water supply, but have not done that yet, only manual. As the DLC now goes into the "optimize" phase, I expect my current colony will live pretty long.

On 11/9/2021 at 1:20 AM, Gurgel said:

I do pretty much the same, but I try to place one service dupe. Have done so only on colonies with a water source so far, but I plan to use the "wild tree" cycle for water generation next on a colony with no water, maybe even the Regolith one for some additional challenge (no solar). I also have plans to use the launcher for automated water supply, but have not done that yet, only manual. As the DLC now goes into the "optimize" phase, I expect my current colony will live pretty long.

Spoiler

regolith asteroid has two 500C steam vents (at least in two different sessions I had).

On 11/6/2021 at 11:24 PM, spike4597 said:

i have trouble with micromanagement, and just managing more than one colony in general.

Do you have troubles automating them to be self-sustainable?

My initial asteroid had a slush geyser and a steam geyser. It's relatively easy to use those for heat management. After I automated oxygen, heat, food and toilets there was nothing time-sensitive to manage. Colony went unmanaged for over hundred cycles at least in one case, with all the 'idle' and 'rotten food' messages ignored. I did eventually add a pip-planted farm, a better salt processing (salt->sand to manage pwater), aquatuner based cooling for farms, more oxygen, and a lot of other small projects. But always one project at a time and colony itself always stayed stable.

Same happened with other asteroids, I'm only remembering about my radioactive asteroid when I'm running out of gold, alumiinium or diamods (using crashed Seattleite to generate diamonds).

whenever i go to a new planet, it takes a very long time to set up a new colony,

I agree that it's takes a lot of time and is very repetitive to boot, the trick from my point of view is: You don't need that many asteroids colonized.

Personally I did not bother colonizing tundra/frozen asteroid, I just tamed and fully automated a single iron volcano and occasionally visiting to pick up iron. I did not bother with oceanic asteroid either. Been there once to get rare resources and no plans to visit it again so far (it does have water and salt, but setting up a colony with little to no reward is just pointless). I have been at least once at every asteroid, but aside from starting asteroid, the only permanent colonies are 3-dupes at a radioactive one, 3 dupes at oil one and a semi-permanent colony on top of a ravenous tree (this one is likely to become permanent).

Help?

Don't rush. Plan long term.

Personally I did not bother visiting other asteroids till cycle ~500, and even in that case it was to get some rare resources, not to set a permanent colony.

Rovers helped a lot with initial exploration - first rover sealed huge hole in the asteroid and built initial tunnels, second one prepared space for landing pad and then made rooms, dupes merely furnished asteroid later (I explored oil asteroid before radioactive one, but colonized radioactive asteroid long before oil one). When I started making asteroid into permanent colony, I scheduled a lot of digging and tiles, my dupes had work for cycles to come, later they we busy for cycles enclosing volcanoes.

I also noticed that it is becoming way too hard micromanaging several bases and rocket logistics between them, that even small issues may become catastrophic because unnoticed in time.

I take it as a learning curve, when you realise that working system isn't enough, it should work fluently without your interference.

When everything becomes too much troublesome to handle I start new colony and try to do better, with less mistakes, making more self sustainable systems from beginning.

It is like this, you can not make anything serious while you can't leave your base without watching... You must find a way to play using micromanaging only for new systems to build and start if you want to advance.

I'm still working on it...

On 11/6/2021 at 10:24 PM, spike4597 said:

whenever i go to a new planet, it takes a very long time to set up a new colony, meanwhile, im still only on cycle 150, so i still have lots of long term things(food, power, oxygen, etc.) to establish, and i find it close to impossible to manage two colonies, let alone 8 late-game.

Help?

I used to "rush" in to space at cycle +2000...Nowadays I will most likely expand in to space at cycle +5000 or 10000. No need to rush my friend ! :razz:

To ensure that I can build with giga tons of stone in my first colony...and to never run out of sand and metals, I chose to play with lots of volcanoes in the big mac dlc classic map. Also I can recommend to start with crashed satellites, for speedy radiation research. Enjoy the game :bee:

image.png.12dcdb63bbfb369af7acab60d1d9b2e9.png

image.thumb.png.02b56e0a885b3765b836379917c2f3df.png Volcano Paradise

Crashed satellites - I performed radiation research like this:

image.thumb.png.1830d4c35df87509928e81b7b4fb5b50.pngimage.thumb.png.83230f70a53bef89f0cdfb06aa866ff0.png

If you choose to start a map with a Sulfur Geyser, you can just pop up some simple Planter Boxes for a manual plantation and easy colony food supply. Just make sure to cool the Sulfur down for your dupes, it is very hot. :lol:

As example you can insulate the geyser in a box and pump the stuff to wherever you like. Or one can cool it down at the geyser itself and take it from there.

image.thumb.png.f581f6eac0de2ac19a61a2965a50430d.png image.thumb.png.46c035eb6740290c72b214aa95619b1b.png

My colony renewables, took me ~100 dice attempts. I also like to start maps with enough geyser water for +100 dupes.

image.png.9358fed5a00567e87f12c14ee17f64f6.pngimage.png.56df0aeda14673661422ce4f9521bca9.png

It took me 2000 cycles to establish a powerful colony wide air condition system, now I am venting Steam Geysers directly in to the colony. I just created this venting room, so the temperature will soon drop to a lower level.

image.thumb.png.2e707b4582051428458abf454ad1d3b6.png

Petroleum is in the yellow pipe lines and cools the entire colony, via 3 Aquatuner rows ( 11x ).

image.thumb.png.44a65129748389a47c2ce3b4df86d352.pngimage.thumb.png.fb757bedd725ad30e3bb674fd855f6a7.png

image.png.ecf273cd1a7d677a39128ae9cd51c5cd.png Fun fun fun :congratulatory:

My own solution - I created my own world gen and put all of the new content on one asteroid.  All that's out in space are the POIs and the Great Tear.  I did this for Arboria, might do it for a few others.  I'm thinking of putting a small second asteroid out there that has all of the biomes that the starting asteroid is missing, particularly since space POIs don't have biological specimens.

On 12/30/2021 at 4:14 AM, babba said:

I used to "rush" in to space at cycle +2000...Nowadays I will most likely expand in to space at cycle +5000 or 10000. No need to rush my friend ! :razz:

Same here. Seems we have gotten older and wiser. Or simply slower ;-)

18 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Same here. Seems we have gotten older and wiser. Or simply slower ;-)

Yeah :lol: One hot coffee for you my dear Gurgel :razz::cheerful:

Also I`m glad that the ONI game nearly does not really use an gpu, saves ~0.5 kW in reality ! Total nonsense with the graphic card market, it seems NV/AMD find enough people willing to pay $1000-$5000 for a graphic card, which also sucks 400-800 Watts, and to "invest" in the practical paused card development. Hopefully things will have returned to some form of "normal" in 5 years :lol:

As long "Daiwan" belongs to "Daiwan", there will be hope.

Nvidia should launch new cards for $8000 recommended retail price and 2000 Watts power requirement, then they can get more people in to their GeforeNowService :roll: End of gpu rant :lol:

image.png.a3a0d82f5b49d4661fcac0233d29ec5b.pngimage.png.37cfc088656a498cb292e9dedce4ca95.pngimage.thumb.png.cd8246fa1238afaf944e95fca8c15bec.png

Installing StarCitizen, the last time I "played" it was 4 years ago, bunny jumping down stairways and clipping through furniture and ships, with 20 other players for 20 minutes.

It seems to begin to be a somewhat playable game nowadays. However, will not buy a new gpu for it. :anonymous: Lets see what the Vaporware has become...

image.png.00051625ad1e79de68e3f48389b18c72.png Terms of service with an approval time counter :lol: Chris is bestest...

image.png.9d9547dd12c96d157bd0156a80409a45.png LOL

Love :love_heart: ONI :love_heart:, RSI cant even make a crash free game installer !

Archived