Speed food buff idea

I wish they could put a food recipe in dst that would grant temporary small speed boost, since we already have walking canes and magi in game. It would still be a fun thing to have it can even be a warly exclusive just to make the item more situational. 

Coffee in Shipwrecked was originally going to be a Warly exclusive thing, so maybe they could bring that back? But restricting coffee to just Warly seems a little bit contrived... since it'd need its own plant anyway. So I think it would be cool if there was coffee that anyone can make, and then Warly can (more cost effectively) turn coffee beans into some sort of caffeine spice to put on food to give a speed boost

I honestly thought when we first saw Wanda's silhouette that she looked like a waitress lady with a coffee pot (looking back that's so funny) and I was really excited for coffee to come to DST :p
Im very glad we got the Wanda we have now though, definitely my favorite character.

I want little obscure islands with reasons to sail to them, areas where you can’t just take the resources back to your base but rather have to make return trips for more of this type of resource.. Coffee would be Okay to add to the game I guess… As long as it was something that constantly required just a little bit of effort to obtain.

But how would this stack (if it stacks at all) with characters who already naturally have speed boosts? Like Wurt, Wormwood, Webber or Wolfgang?

(Wurt and Webber both need to create special turfs for their speedy boosts but you get idea)

Would Speedy food buff this speed or be ineffective for them?

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Would Speedy food buff this speed or be ineffective for them?

Based on how it works in Shipwrecked no, WX-78 can be overcharged, eat coffee, hold a cane, use a faster sail, be at the same direction of the wind and use waves to get faster and it all stacks, he's basically speed itself

4 hours ago, xhyom said:

Based on how it works in Shipwrecked no, WX-78 can be overcharged, eat coffee, hold a cane, use a faster sail, be at the same direction of the wind and use waves to get faster and it all stacks, he's basically speed itself

Don't forget bouillabaise, and more consumables.

I believe they stack too.

9 hours ago, Cheggf said:

The absolute ridiculousness of coffee in DSA has me hesitant to be for a speed boost food in DST. If it was a minor buff like 10% on something that's difficult to get it shouldn't be too bad.

I came to say this and you beat me to it. I'd like it as a Warly spice and maybe adding a fixed increase of 10% speed, which by itself would not be something great, but it would certainly add up (specially on already fast characters, or for rider beefalos)

I'd make it simple to make, not too grindy, perhaps a new crop you can get from some new island and keep harvesting by yourself on any farm.

8 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I came to say this and you beat me to it. I'd like it as a Warly spice and maybe adding a fixed increase of 10% speed, which by itself would not be something great, but it would certainly add up (specially on already fast characters, or for rider beefalos)

I'd make it simple to make, not too grindy, perhaps a new crop you can get from some new island and keep harvesting by yourself on any farm.

If we're gonna have this I appose to it being a warly exclusive spice. Warly already has too much going for him. The buff should also only be a mild boost like 5%. 

That way its less a boost and more of a nice side effect (like warming/cooling foods). People will feel less forced to have to have it on them at all times.

8 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

If we're gonna have this I appose to it being a warly exclusive dish. Warly already has too much going for him. The buff should also only be a mild boost like 5%. 

I like the idea of a more "efficient" version for warly in the form of a spice. Maybe 3 coffee beans + honey makes a cup of coffee, or 3 coffee beans makes 2 coffee grounds (warly spice), giving it uses for 2 people instead of 1. 

Honestly I just want more spices lol 

1 minute ago, QuartzBeam said:

The only difference between having no speed buffs and having a 5-10% speed buff, is that the latter wastes precious development time that would have been better spent on literally anything else.

Depends, I think, if its only a side effect, like if the above average trees had produced cacao fruit (where chocolate is made from). Then the dishes could have induced a "sugar rush" as a very small boost. In this case the boost nor the plant where the main focus of the update. Just a very small side effect.

1 minute ago, HowlVoid said:

Depends, I think, if its only a side effect, like if the above average trees had produced cacao fruit (where chocolate is made from). Then the dishes could have induced a "sugar rush" as a very small boost. In this case the boost nor the plant where the main focus of the update. Just a very small side effect.

If you had to put any amount of effort into it, you'd end up wasting more time cooking the food than you would save with that 5-10% speed boost.

Shipwrecked's Coffee might have been ridiculous, but ridiculously strong is still better than ridiculously weak.

Honestly if anything I'd personally either like seeing something similar to sw coffee, with high speed for a relatively short time (Maybe a tiiiny bit shorter duration, please dont bannish me for this opinion), or something that grants a somewhat small amount of speed for a pretty long time.

Otherwise you either have a food item that people will not care about at all or you got yourself an item so powerful people actually take more time than they would save just to stock up on it sometimes.

12 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

If you had to put any amount of effort into it, you'd end up wasting more time cooking the food than you would save with that 5-10% speed boost.

Shipwrecked's Coffee might have been ridiculous, but ridiculously strong is still better than ridiculously weak.

Shipwrecked's coffee was its own thing though? For one you had to find the volcano, the volcano itself was dangerous, the plant had to be fertilized with ash, etc, etc. The fruits provided by above average trees is more flavoring to make the trees feel more alive. It wouldn't make any sense to give them such a high boost. 

We are actually talking about two different things here. What Im saying is that a small boost can absolutely be added as extra "flavoring" to make a dish slightly more unique. I dont think it needs to be the main focus of an update nor do I think it would be hard to code in.

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Yeah I was thinking "difficult to get" means something like "a crop from a new island". If the boost is something like 10% then being able to transplant them back to the mainland would be fine, just needs the initial trip of going to that island.

1 hour ago, QuartzBeam said:

If it's a crop you can bring back to your base then you'd only spend a few seconds preparing the dish each time you make it. Unless you're thinking of the buff lasting like 20 seconds it would save time. 

Archived