Which character should receive the next refresh?

Who should get the next refresh?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who?

• WX-78
    • Wickerbottom
    • Maxwell
    • Wilson

i think that Maxwell and Wilson will be the very last since they are the "main" characters Maxwell being the og villain and Wilson being the first survivor we ever played as

Heck imagine if their reworks come together in a big update

If you want my honest opinion: I think we shouldn’t be voting on who the next rework should be Just yet… We should first see what changes Klei does to Wolfgang, and I suspect that many people who used to main him for him being stupidly good with high damage and fast movement speed with his only downside being “must eat more” those players aren’t going to be main’ing with him anymore if he even becomes even “mildly” more complex to play..

They're not going to like when the games residential Superman gets hit with some hard Kryptonite, and as long as it adds to his LORE and Makes sense, I’m fine with any improvements/buffs/Nerfs they change with him.

However- Wolfgangs rework is going to be what is known as a “Ripple Effect” (you’d have to play Smite or Apex Legends to understand fully what this means)

People use Wolfgang currently for his stupid raw power, that’s it.. that’s the only thing he does, hit harder.. move faster, get fights over and done with in half the time.

But when his inevitable rework brings him back down to a fair playing field with everyone else (such as making him slightly stronger but removing the Flashes speed Bonus) people will have to find new ways to play as the Meat Head or *Gasp* Worse- Play as a different character because of his changes.

Aka- the Ripple Effect, WHAT Klei changes about Wolfgang will determine what needs to change about Wilson, Maxwell, Wicker & WX78.

If Wolfgang gets the “Wes Treatment” and has his total health points brought down, then it’s only fair that the overpowered GOD that is 400hp WX78 gets brought back down with him.

Otherwise: you’ll end up with former Wolfgang mains starting to play WX78 because the changes Klei made to Wolfgang made WX78 better.

Its like how in Apex Legends every season my favorite character Wraith has been hit with a hard nerf… and now- Other characters do what she USED TO DO but those other characters do it better than she ever was able to.

THAT is a Ripple Effect.

Its like playing Jenga.. you have to carefully remove a block from the bottom of the tower and place it on top- Without having the entire tower crumble to the ground.

The TL:DR- Let’s wait to see what changes (if anything) about Wolfgang, before we focus on who gets reworked next.

Otherwise: You run the extremely high risk of the ripple effect.

image.png.e3af64794a1e3b35947021d1136edba1.png

I hope when WX's refresh comes they do some new portrait art because this just looks kind of stupid (it's awesome in normal Don't Starve, not so awesome when it's a piece of paper standing upright in a forest with the name whited out)

47 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

If you want my honest opinion: I think we shouldn’t be voting on who the next rework should be Just yet… We should first see what changes Klei does to Wolfgang, and I suspect that many people who used to main him for him being stupidly good with high damage and fast movement speed with his only downside being “must eat more” those players aren’t going to be main’ing with him anymore if he even becomes even “mildly” more complex to play..

They're not going to like when the games residential Superman gets hit with some hard Kryptonite, and as long as it adds to his LORE and Makes sense, I’m fine with any improvements/buffs/Nerfs they change with him.

However- Wolfgangs rework is going to be what is known as a “Ripple Effect” (you’d have to play Smite or Apex Legends to understand fully what this means)

People use Wolfgang currently for his stupid raw power, that’s it.. that’s the only thing he does, hit harder.. move faster, get fights over and done with in half the time.

But when his inevitable rework brings him back down to a fair playing field with everyone else (such as making him slightly stronger but removing the Flashes speed Bonus) people will have to find new ways to play as the Meat Head or *Gasp* Worse- Play as a different character because of his changes.

Aka- the Ripple Effect, WHAT Klei changes about Wolfgang will determine what needs to change about Wilson, Maxwell, Wicker & WX78.

If Wolfgang gets the “Wes Treatment” and has his total health points brought down, then it’s only fair that the overpowered GOD that is 400hp WX78 gets brought back down with him.

Otherwise: you’ll end up with former Wolfgang mains starting to play WX78 because the changes Klei made to Wolfgang made WX78 better.

Its like how in Apex Legends every season my favorite character Wraith has been hit with a hard nerf… and now- Other characters do what she USED TO DO but those other characters do it better than she ever was able to.

THAT is a Ripple Effect.

Its like playing Jenga.. you have to carefully remove a block from the bottom of the tower and place it on top- Without having the entire tower crumble to the ground.

The TL:DR- Let’s wait to see what changes (if anything) about Wolfgang, before we focus on who gets reworked next.

Otherwise: You run the extremely high risk of the ripple effect.

K so since people like Wolfgang for what he is (a simple character who has some nice qol of doing things faster) they shouldn’t and if what you said happens happens they shouldn’t be able to go to a character similar 

wx beloved please

aside from the whole "just wilson but a robot that becomes immortal" gameplay, how system overload is a super inconsistent mechanic that gets very costly if you want the consistent speed boost, and the fact that they have no actual downside 

as a character, wx has the potential to be significant to the lore as a whole. wagstaff turned out to be important to the lore of dst, and wx's refresh short could give a glance into wagstaff's life before the constant, assuming it's about their creation. wx's creation in itself could reveal further details of wagstaff's motivation to enter and explore the constant, maybe even tie into the whole return of them arc if that isn't dropped like the gateway arc. if its like woodie's short where its just some little constant dilly-dally that showcases new abilities im going to be sad

also wx refresh could make them tied with winona for having the most character skins. just saying. i love skins and wx has some of the best ones. adapting a robot to different situations and universes can be much more dramatic then a human character. if im behind honest, unfinished wx is what i imagined as an original rework skin since it looks like it'd tie into their backstory, but oh well, its a costume. if wx's original skin doesnt tie back to lore and is something more akin to willow's doll skin it could be amazing
also please please please let me 100% wx goh is like $100 on steam marketplace i cannot do that

17 minutes ago, Dextops said:

K so since people like Wolfgang for what he is (a simple character who has some nice qol of doing things faster) they shouldn’t and if what you said happens happens they shouldn’t be able to go to a character similar 

Huh? No.. what I meant to say is right now Wolfgang hits harder, moves faster, and finishes fights in half the time. That’s Great… but his compendium description also clearly states that he has a myriad of phobias that currently don’t play into actual gameplay at all.

Now when Klei changes him up and makes him more should I say “Complex” You can bet they’ll also make everyone else equally complex- take WX78 as an example.

What if they add new Robotic enemies to the game that function like the iron hulk parts in the Hamlet DLC which need to be charged with lightning and connected together.. what if Instead of eat all gears, WX now needs to find & charge parts up? 
If Wolfgang no longer becomes mighty just by eating meatball, WX no longer hammers down your fridge & consumes all gears.

56 minutes ago, 0bit said:

image.png.e3af64794a1e3b35947021d1136edba1.png

I hope when WX's refresh comes they do some new portrait art because this just looks kind of stupid (it's awesome in normal Don't Starve, not so awesome when it's a piece of paper standing upright in a forest with the name whited out)

A lot of the old portraits (And even some character models) need it. 

I think people aren’t grasping onto the concept of ripple effect too well- let me provide an example: If let’s say Wolfgang gets reworked in December and part of that update allows him to Carry heavy objects with no movement speed penalty- this would obviously extend to being able to wear Marble Armor without any movement penalty- in this Scenario: Taking his Movement speed buff completely out of the game sounds like a logic Nerf for him.

Because: Let’s do keep in Mind that Klei also reduced the crafting costs of Marble Armor from 12 down to 6 so you get Twice as Many Marble Armors as you used to, and with no slowed movement- He doesn’t also need to zip around like he’s the Flash.

The changes they make to Wolfgang, WX78, and Wickerbottom (Aka their Big Three) will single handedly define how the rest of the game plays for everyone else.

WES now Attracts lightning strikes to himself as a Downside, this means WX78 gets less of those lightning fueled over charges..

Its a Ripple Effect- and I’m confident that Klei knows what all these refreshes will impact throughout their game (and on the rare chance that they don’t… they’ll shortly discover it from their vocal community.)

33 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

WES now Attracts lightning strikes to himself as a Downside, this means WX78 gets less of those lightning fueled over charges..

I mean, how many people ACTUALLY play Wes?

Also theres a way to easily solve that, by giving WX a craftable item/helmet that attracts strikes like the Lightning Rod to himself. 

1 hour ago, SkyistheGround said:

wx beloved please

aside from the whole "just wilson but a robot that becomes immortal" gameplay, how system overload is a super inconsistent mechanic that gets very costly if you want the consistent speed boost, and the fact that they have no actual downside 

as a character, wx has the potential to be significant to the lore as a whole. wagstaff turned out to be important to the lore of dst, and wx's refresh short could give a glance into wagstaff's life before the constant, assuming it's about their creation. wx's creation in itself could reveal further details of wagstaff's motivation to enter and explore the constant, maybe even tie into the whole return of them arc if that isn't dropped like the gateway arc. if its like woodie's short where its just some little constant dilly-dally that showcases new abilities im going to be sad

also wx refresh could make them tied with winona for having the most character skins. just saying. i love skins and wx has some of the best ones. adapting a robot to different situations and universes can be much more dramatic then a human character. if im behind honest, unfinished wx is what i imagined as an original rework skin since it looks like it'd tie into their backstory, but oh well, its a costume. if wx's original skin doesnt tie back to lore and is something more akin to willow's doll skin it could be amazing
also please please please let me 100% wx goh is like $100 on steam marketplace i cannot do that

Amen brother. Unfortunately i couldn't bare for so many years, the mind and process of a downgraded and outdated body and i succumbed to the temptation of "vegetable" organisms, smearing feces on my face all day. Fear not, the days with the living being "Wormwood" are ending.... i can sense it in my hardware. . . . .

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

but has wes more priority than wx? because wx has more than regular characters so if wx has more priority it will mean that wes downside doesnt affect them at all

Concept wise Wolfgang and WX need a refresh desperately. We barely know anything about their life before the constant. Wicker and Maxwell could also use a refresh but their current state and playstyle direction are in a better place.

Wurt could also use a refresh. She has an overloaded asset of abilities but excells at nothing really. The king mechanic is buggy and clunky despite its late game potential.

3 hours ago, Brubs said:

Concept wise Wolfgang and WX need a refresh desperately. We barely know anything about their life before the constant. Wicker and Maxwell could also use a refresh but their current state and playstyle direction are in a better place.

Wurt could also use a refresh. She has an overloaded asset of abilities but excells at nothing really. The king mechanic is buggy and clunky despite its late game potential.

I think Wurt's main strength is having a strong army relatively easy once she gets the "Merm village" going, since you can get tons of seeds from the King and hire the Merm like that, 

Similar to Webber with his spiders.

But yeah she could use some tweaks. 

I think Walter is the one thats all over the place 

On 10/24/2021 at 10:37 AM, Dollmaker said:

If anything i feel they may tweak his drawback too, cause they are non-existent right now, specially with how powerful WX is.

I could see that too. Maybe something like less prone to freezing but more prone to overheating, or being in the overcharge mode eats up a lot of sanity /reduces max sanity

Archived