how do you like the canopy leaves?

how do you like the canopy leaves?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. how do you like the canopy leaves?

• i like the leaves
    • i dislike it
    • i dont even care about it
  2. 2. do you think there should be a option to disable the canopy leaves?

• yes
    • no
    • what's going on here?

i'm annoyed by the Canopy leaves because of its large range on my screen like the picture below.

202951219_.thumb.png.d85f7921f372e955404443bd66b9b33c.png

well, it's so sweet that klei just provide a option to disable the canopy shadows.

1865675546_QQ20211009183926.thumb.png.2ea7ca2af6065d2d99dc7addb6ea3ffd.png

but that is not enough to me so i use the mod "overlays disabler"(https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=368686576&searchtext=disable+overlays) to remove the canopy leaves like picture below.

1107000315_.thumb.png.37a5651e3e092903a145d864cc52d2bf.png
just wonderring your point of view on the canopy leaves.

A lot of in game mechanics limit your vision as a penalty. To mention only a few: the cave’s pillars, the night overlay, the squids attack, fuel weaver’s mind attack, etc.

It’s a core part of the game.

Like BezKa said, if you want protection from lightning, heat and rain it’s a tiny price to pay.

27 minutes ago, BezKa said:

I just think that's the price of the tree. You want heat rain and lightning protection? Here, but you have to deal with the leaves. 

yeah i agree with ur theory of price, everything has its cost. Klei kindly provide a option to disable the shadows, I wanna another option to turn leaves off as well.

by the way, the art of leaves is wonderful, it is just too large on UI for me. if not have a option to disable eventually, it's very nice for me to make its range smaller.

1792544083_QQ20210510143353.jpg.9422ddd5b689f385acad82934897d944.jpg

Pointless and annoying leaves 

6 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

A lot of in game mechanics limit your vision as a penalty. To mention only a few: the cave’s pillars, the night overlay, the squids attack, fuel weaver’s mind attack, etc.

Canopy tree leaves is just a visual thingy added for atmosphere, and is unintentionally annoying. 

Sure, when you get ink or sand in the eye or walk in the dark you have trouble seeing.

But what happened here? Did leaves far above my head got in the way of me seeing things somehow? 

1 hour ago, Gi-Go said:

But what happened here? Did leaves far above my head got in the way of me seeing things somehow? 

It would seem to be an effect inherited from hamlet. 
When you walk across a thick forest, overgrown wetland or a jungly area (I've been in all of those IRL) you can't see squat really, you can't see the sky, you can't see too far ahead, leaves, branches or grass get constantly in your face, and getting lost is not that hard.

I guess they were aiming to give an effect like that with a tree that has a lot of leaves and vines hanging as low as the player is. A lot of real trees grow like this, so it's just a massive sea version of an existing thing.

Spoiler

sauce.thumb.jpg.e6750d4a08d45f17cd83dabf2bb4fbff.jpg

Spoiler

The above is a real tree very common in the wetlands of the region I live at. When a lot of those grow together, walking past those trees means you have to step aside the branches and leaves from your face, which hang down as low as your ankles height.

Wait, you guys see it has a penalty? I actually LOVE the leaves... Feels really snuggly like the tree is giving me a hug. Then again I'm pretty weird and I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I'm in my house in the middle of a really bad thunderstorm; makes me go right to sleep.

Guess I'm just really appreciative of shelter  lol

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

Wait, you guys see it has a penalty? I actually LOVE the leaves... Feels really snuggly like the tree is giving me a hug. Then again I'm pretty weird and I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I'm in my house in the middle of a really bad thunderstorm; makes me go right to sleep.

Guess I'm just really appreciative of shelter  lol

its a beauty penalty for having weathe protectiion and food

i loved the hamlet ones (that biome with the leaves was so freaking scary) and i love the waterlogged ones

On 10/9/2021 at 6:05 AM, ShadowDuelist said:

Like BezKa said, if you want protection from lightning, heat and rain it’s a tiny price to pay.

I disagree - vision penalties you mention are all hazards, yet these trees are clearly a boon, not a hazard.  Also - they're in your base, not a place to add a penalty.  The tree isn't a lureplant bulb that spawns against you and you have to fight it off.  The foliage is added purely for ambiance, and its effective at that - but it also gets annoying after some time.  I put this in the same category as screen shake, distortion, bloom, flashes, and ironically canopy shadows.

imo I'd rather leave the shadows on, and turn the overlay off.

7 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

It is actually exciting to fight while an earthquake but i understand how annoying it could be

Yeah, I leave screen shake on b/c I like the feeling of it.  I imagine many people would leave canopy on for the same reason.  These features help create the atmosphere when you're playing, but the canopy in base just makes me feel like I can never see everything :\ and its in base, not like I'm exploring or anywhere unknown like Hamlet.

Anyway - not super important to me or anything XD

Archived