Will the Hydrocactus ever come into the real game?

The Hydrocactus is a plant that has been in the codex (and sandbox spawning menu) for quite a while now. It takes 5kg/cycle of sand, and 65kg/cycle of polluted water, for 10 cycles, to produce 350kg of water. It also consumes 8.33g/s of oxygen all throughout its growing period. By itself, it is not an incredibly noteworthy plant, as you are getting a net loss on water. But Now that we have Mutated plants on our side, I would love to try and see what I could pull off with the hydrocactus, especially with fertilizer.

However, it has yet to be added to any planetoid yet to my knowledge, So I wonder if it will ever be in the game at all?

15 hours ago, Lbphero said:

It takes 5kg/cycle of sand, and 65kg/cycle of polluted water, for 10 cycles, to produce 350kg of water. It also produces 8.33g/s of oxygen all throughout its growing period. By itself, it is not an incredibly noteworthy plant, as you are getting a net loss on water.

It seems like an organic water sieve which would be pretty useful. Some people even asked for a no power manually operated sieve. And on top it also creates oxygen. Seems like a great earlygame plant, especially for swamp starts as those have tons of polluted water. It could also be nice for other planetoids that lack oxygen production on their own like the radiated forest if it had more polluted water.

2 hours ago, blueberry pi said:

What if it's grown wild, oxygen production and water for free, if you use an exuberant (if they can mutate) ¡they will be as powerful as a domestic one but without the polluted water or sand needs!

I think the oxygen consumption (thanks @Sanchozz) is basically just there to balance the wild version.  Assuming wild hydrocactus still consumes O2, like the salt vine does with chlorine: it will consume 8.3g/s O2 and produce 350e3 / (10 * 600) / 4 = 14.58g/s of water.  Still a net production of mass, but not huge.  You'd need 18 of them to produce enough net oxygen for one duplicant to breath.

Math:

• Assumptions: immediate harvest and fertilization, oxygen is from electrolysis, hydrogen and sand have negligible value, growth speed bonuses stack linearly
  • Fertilizer+rub for 250% growth speed
  • 10 cycles / 2.5 = 4 cycles per harvest
  • 350kg / 4 cycles = 87.5 kg/cycle of produced water
  • 8.33 g/s * 600 s = 5kg oxygen per cycle
  • 5kg oxygen / (8 oxygen / 10 water) = 6.25kg water
  • 87.5 kg/cycle - 6.25 kg/cycle  - 65 kg/cycle = 16 kg/cycle

Without mutations, even with ideal labor, it looks pathetic. But with exuberant it changes to:

• 350kg/c - 6.25kg/c - 65kg/c = 278.75 kg/cycle, which is very close to average for a cool steam geyser (270kg/cycle)

On 8/26/2021 at 10:40 AM, blueberry pi said:

I think that is wrong, wouldn't it be 10 cycles - 50% (grub grub rub) = 5 cycles - 50% (farmer's touch) = 2.5 cycles per harvest ? sorry if i'm wrong.

No need to be sorry, but you are wrong :)

349436114_Screenshotfrom2021-08-2713-35-10.thumb.png.e89350a95ddd7660413b43ba7067a5cc.png

A wild hydrocactus with Farmer's Touch and Grubgrub Rub takes 16 cycles to grow, which is 250% growth rate (100% base rate + 100% Farmer's Touch + 50% Grubgrub Rub). The growth bonuses are added before being applied, not applied sequentially.

I'm still gonna be sorry, anyways and i will thank you for the new knowledge, I have obtained, and as the worst thing you can have is a discussion with yourself, discussions with others are something that polish you into a better shape and make you wiser, if you take them in a good way.

Thank you and have a good day.

1 hour ago, ghkbrew said:

A wild hydrocactus with Farmer's Touch and Grubgrub Rub takes 16 cycles to grow

Wait.

Wait.

Wait.

You can use the farm station on wild plants?  No one told me this.  I need time to let this sink in and figure out what to do with it.

Archived