Looking for some inspiration to keep playing...

10 hours ago, fishoutofwater said:

any other tips and tricks man?

so far what I did are:

- kill all wild critters and plants
- limit tamed critters numbers and movements

- use bridges instead of long piping
- vacuum
- mined all natural tiles and collect all debris into one tile

- only print few dupes

cmiiw

It can also help to limit the possible area of duplicants access. Reducing the route tree of duplicants and avoiding cycles in it can save a couple of fps

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

I don`t think it`s always wrong to do research on the game. While in ONI i can harm your experience it can also help you avoid disasters. Also it depends on how you like to play the game. I personally enjoy small disasters that require building temporary solutions and finding ways to fix them (i know not everybody may like it though). First time my pipes broke from cold i was like "that`s so cool".

Anyway the game offers the simple way to beat it as well as a lot of room to try your own approach. For example recently i tried dividing my dupes into classes. I got the tech guys that need high morale and get better stuff and the diggers/builders that need much less. Then finally the maintaniance squad that`s in between. They got different shifts, food permissions and priority settings and it`s kinda cool to manage all that. Especially in the dlc where i can send my digger squad to a different planetoid to do the build job and then send them back home.

I think you need to find something that you like to tinker with in the game to see if it works better or worse. That`s what`s usually fun in this types of games.

Agreed - I would personally advise new players to do research on game mechanics, game content like: "what is a toilet, what does it do? how do I use pipes and ducts, what is a steam turbine, what is a drecko, etc." so that they can understand what is going on and what tools they have available. I would not advise looking for solutions to specific problems like "how to I build a toilet loop, how to I preserve my food the most efficiently, how to build a spom, etc." because those are basically what will remove game content or game experience (and failures). I do get that not everyone enjoys trial and error, some like to build something that works right away and forget about it. At the end of the day, it is up to each player to decide for themselves. I think it is just unfortunate when new players come on the forum asking for inspiration because they got spoon fed solutions to every problem or got recommended to look at X or Y build from Francis John and now they feel like they don't know what else to do in the game.

After the food storage update I tried searching for an answer on how to deep freeze food, wasn't able to come up with many results (mainly because most were out of date due to the new update). So I took my existing game mechanics knowledge and thought about it for a few days (yes, irl days) and finally came up with a design that I am currently putting together right now in-game.
I must say it really is all that much more beneficial to the player to do as little research as possible and come up with your own designs. I have renewed my love for the game doing this... Thank you for the wise words @NeoDeusMachina

2 hours ago, PowerGrid said:

After the food storage update I tried searching for an answer on how to deep freeze food, wasn't able to come up with many results (mainly because most were out of date due to the new update). So I took my existing game mechanics knowledge and thought about it for a few days (yes, irl days) and finally came up with a design that I am currently putting together right now in-game.
I must say it really is all that much more beneficial to the player to do as little research as possible and come up with your own designs. I have renewed my love for the game doing this... Thank you for the wise words @NeoDeusMachina

Glad to read that! :-D

4 hours ago, PowerGrid said:

this is the game!

On 7/25/2021 at 6:43 AM, PowerGrid said:

Please help.

ONI isn't just survival. It's colony building. Is your colony the strongest possible given all the resources they have? Is it truly sustainable? Can you walk away and leave the colony unattended for 2000 cycles? Almost sustainable is very easy compared to real hands off, infinite sustainable. 

In ONI there are a few shortcuts that if you know them and stick to them make the game trivial and boring. If you end up doing the same things over and over, try avoiding them and see if you come up with other solutions. Eg I've banned dreckos ranching from my games, just because it got to the point it was one of my top early priority and I ended up doing it in every colony. Same with stone hatches. 

51 minutes ago, SharraShimada said:

Play Time 2759,7 hours.

I would like to have your problem sir ;)

And here I've barely cracked the 2000 hour mark.  Nearly every time I think I'm done with the game, I come up with a new perspective on how to do things.  I've gone looking for ever more challenging world gen mods (and made my own).  And then Spaced Out came along.  I mean, if you haven't done a 100 dupe challenge or a Mini-Base, you've hardly gotten started.  Unfortunately, the recent changes have broken a lot of world gen mods and they haven't been updated, but Mini-Base has.

Idk i might be weird but i will never understand this mentality. I mean if you don't want to play a game anymore ..just don't. Take a "break" from it either for a while or forever.

Forcing yourself to keep playing and asking others how to force yourself to do it. That's a very unhealthy attitude...

Play silly challenges!  Try accepting every dupe until a death.  Or playing without farming.  Or playing without critters.  Try making an atmo-suitless colony where you do everything that you would normally do.

Try getting the carnivore and locovore achievements on oassise.

Make your own builds.  Design in debug/sandbox in a test colony and then build it in your main colony.  I generally don't look up builds for anything but the physics behind them.

I'm not sure if you also happen to be perfectionist, which will prevent you from going further than a "perfect and sustainable" colony.

If you are not, ignore this comment.

If you are, let go perfectionism, go big, dream, make mistakes, you'll soon find tons of things to do and tons of thoughts to sort out.

Archived