Slimelung in Spaced Out Classic Terra Start

I have a bit of a problem with preventing Slimelung from spreading - I'm looking for hints how to do that in Spaced Out.

I don't have lead to make the decon shower (nor the material research).

Main question is - how to no spread the slimelung all around after mining one tile of it?

Wash basin doesn't work on suited dupe and when dupe gets to hang the suit off everything is covered in germs - dupe, station and suit:
image.png.a3dbde9ebd650033aa9eeab0d6167fe5.png

Am I actually forced to find lead and reserach decontamination to be able to handle slimelung in reasonable manner?
(I can handle slime itself by dumping it into chlorine room and handling it there no problems - but germs on dupes seem untouchable without decontamination).
I'm considering degrade to oxygen masks maybe that would work... seems like silly solution where suits would be worse then oxy masks.

Edit:
Test with oxygen masks shows exactly same beahvior - wash basin doesn't work at all and it's ignored, dupe will carry germs back to mask dock and both dupe and dock will be covered by germs.

Oxygen masks work the same as suits as in: they will still not wash their hands

You could have wash basin, sink or hand sanitizer before the atmo suit docks (although it will not be perfect unless you start decontaminating slime by putting it in chlorine or using -what's it called- to decontaminate debris).

Slimelung isn't contagious by touch though. Even if they eat it, dupes will not get sick. They will only get sick if slimelung is in polluted oxygen. I think even if they breath oxygen with slimelung they don't get infected but I haven't tested that lately. So there will only be trouble if dupes fill a sublimation station while their hands are full of slime lung. Terra start should be safer compared to Swamp SO start.

So first you need to make sure the germs from the polluted oxygen from the slime biomes won`t spread into your base. You can do it either by putting multiple deodorizers at the entrance to the slime biome or by planting the decor plant that spreads allergic pollen (it`s considered a germ and different germ types block each other).

Secondly you need to prevent the mined slime from ofgassing in your base. Easiest way is making a storage compactor under water with priority 7 or 8 so all slime gets loaded there right away. Alternatively you can put it in a high pressure enviroment (above 2kg/tile). Chlorine is perfect as it will kill the germs over time but if the pressure is too low the ofgassing PO2 might delete the chlorine so keep that in mind.

Finally you need to put wash basins outside the slime storage and at the exit from the slime biome (after the suits) and at the mushroom farm. This way dupes will wash their hands whenever thay had contact with slime and won`t spread slimelung.

Suits being dirty doesn`t hurt and dupes should be able to disinfect them anyway. Only real risk of spreading slimelung from dirty dupes is them loading germed algae into diffusers or stuff like food items with germs rotting. As long as the slimelung isn`t in the air in your barracks and dining room it`s mostly safe.

It's kinda against a normal reasoning to let my whole suit docks to be constantly contaminated along with suits themselves.
Won't contamination get to suit oxygen from it (or through dock contamination)?

I guess that long wash basin line after suits would work then. It seems strange that doing this without any protection would offer more decontamination options. Especially with oxygen masks pretending to be suits for hand washing.

2 hours ago, Orzelek said:

It's kinda against a normal reasoning to let my whole suit docks to be constantly contaminated along with suits themselves.
Won't contamination get to suit oxygen from it (or through dock contamination)?

Nope. Its just on the surface. Slimelung really isnt an issue when its on solids as long as those solids wont become gases. Though from a first observation standpoint I agree you would assume that you want a decontamination shower. Klei designed it with the idea of radiation but decontamination showers are used in most labs with germs or chemicals so I don't get why they pushed it to later in the game since it is useful for early game germs. I would like it if it could just be built out of any refined metal rather then just lead.

I think this problem can mostly be ignored. The only downside I found is the "What is this crap you are feeding us?" emote dupes do after eating if there is even a single germ on their food. As to slime storage, definitely underwater. Same for bleach-stone. Unless I am farming mushrooms (have not done that in quite a while) slime get stored outside of the base and eventually into chlorine at 2kg/tile to sterilize it. 

Once you have plastic and can make high pressure gas vents, pair them with an atmo sensor and pressurize your base to 3000 grams.  This prevents undesirable things from offgassing.  Slimelung only grows in polluted oxygen, so proactively clean that and you'll be fine.  Don't worry about dirty surfaces, I don't.

Did anyone play the forest classic start in spaced out?
It starts you literally right next to swamps filled with slimelung.
In spaced out forest start you have rusty biome but for classic start it has been switched to swamps. So you start next to lots of slimelung with not that much space for base and need to research everything.

This start seems quite far from the ideal survival conditions listed in description.

1 hour ago, Orzelek said:

Did anyone play the forest classic start in spaced out?
It starts you literally right next to swamps filled with slimelung.
In spaced out forest start you have rusty biome but for classic start it has been switched to swamps. So you start next to lots of slimelung with not that much space for base and need to research everything.

This start seems quite far from the ideal survival conditions listed in description.

Yes but slimelung is not dangerous. I just ignore it every game.

Even if it's on dupes and suits and gets all over the place it will just die off by itself and doesn't cause sickness. It's only "dangerous" if it gets off gassed to po2. 

To prevent, it's the same since forever. Don't mine slime tiles, use deodorizers to clean po2. If you need to mine slime either have it drop straight into liquid with no storage tasks, or store it in an underwater bin. Bonus for storing it underwater in ice biome, which will kill the germs as well, or in chlorine gas if you've got a properly pressurized and sealed chlorine room. 

Wash hands after taking off suit if it bothers you, but it doesn't really do much. Otherwise decontamination shower. Not using a suit is also an option if you clean the air first. I definitely don't bother with suits in swamp anymore. The pockets of po2 with slimelung in the air already are generally avoidable if you want to.

Archived