The Self-Powered Petroleum Well

27 minutes ago, MinhPham said:
  1. Please make it rectangular.
  2. Provide a DLC (downloadable content) : blueprint or save file.

Best I can do is a save file of the first build on vanilla. I've edited the first post to include it.

Excuse me, am I the only one who doesn't understand anything?
First you presented a scheme, which, without receiving anything from outside (neither energy nor heat, except water), mastered the well, and got petroleum at the output. And that was interesting (I haven't had a chance to test it yet).

Now you show a conventional oil boil on magma? What is its autonomy in? And what to do if there is no magma (frozen core) and the volcano is far away?

The main part is the "Petroleum Well", which uses a heat source (Aquatuner on the first build, Magma in the second) to super-heat water, so that the Oil Well outputs Petroleum directly.

While the self-powered version had the advantage of being self-sufficient, it had the main drawback of requiring space materials, putting it in an awkard position of being too late-game to be of much practical use apart from academic purpose, and optimizing for the "wrong" thing (you don't actually need a self-powered build that late into the game).

The pre-space version, while loosing the self-powered part, also don't use any space materials, and thus is actually useful in regular survival games.

It still does not "boil oil with magma". It superheats water with any heat source at your disposal, which will be, in 95% of the cases, the Core.

If you have a frozen core and no usable volcano, it's up to you to use another heat source. Metal refineries are a popular choice in this situation, and some crazy people use rocket exhausts (though if you reached rockets, you might as well use a Thermium AT...)

1 hour ago, Fradow said:

Best I can do is a save file of the first build on vanilla.

And thank you for that! :D

Ehmmm.... Do I see a liquid bridge trying to burn everything... (or is it just me?) :rolleyes:

Spoiler

On load, it flashes  several kg of petroleum to sour gas

1021022520_liquidconduction.png.a84dee15e2bfc070aea38ff5c5ef057d.png

30 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

And thank you for that! :D

Ehmmm.... Do I see a liquid bridge trying to burn everything... (or is it just me?) :rolleyes:

Hum, I agree that bridge probably shouldn't be placed like that. That's the result of several re-designs (the build presented is major version 4 after all, with numeros minor versions between those).

On the other hand, I loaded the game and it didn't burn.

I'm sure you'll find how to fix that issue easily ;)

Spoiler

1157324455_fixedpiping.thumb.png.a32580f86fd7f0fa7139472e9b8cb5f4.png

1 hour ago, DimaB77 said:

And what to do if there is no magma (frozen core) and the volcano is far away?

Use another option. It's not like there aren't plenty of traditional petrol cooker designs out there.

Not every new design has to be the best design ever and universally applicable.

However, most maps doesn't have irregular oil or frozen core world traits, so on the vast majority of maps this is actually a very viable option as there will always be a geothermal heat source very close to any oil well. 

The pre-space version can have you up and running for a stable sustainable petrol source much faster than the traditional method of having to find and dig out all the oil wells you have, usually 3, put a cap on each, combine their outputs, and then send it through a central petrol cooker.

11 hours ago, gabberworld said:

pretolium.thumb.png.8562b49cfccdab65e637a88b5e5f08c0.png

thats been running atleast 5000 - 6000 cycles

Just a quick side note, cycle time is not the be all and end all of reliability, load stability is also important, and far more difficult to test, often requiring dozens of tick perfect loads or advanced knowledge. 

6 minutes ago, psusi said:

Wait.. why?

I would guess it's a performance issue. :rolleyes: I also noticed I could boil oil to petroleum using hot abyssalite if I played the game in 1x but it would flash to sour gas in 3x (I haven't tried that in a while though..).

Although in this build, it seems the hot 550C water fed to oil well, also flashes oil to sour gas for me :jaded: 

Maybe it was not on load but it was the water that "burned" everything..? Maybe it was the testing branch acting out...? 

The fact is everything had a wonderful sour gas explosion :D (a little sandboxing fixed it) but then there were some other testing branch related troubles... so... I gave up for the time being

9 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

I would guess it's a performance issue. :rolleyes: I also noticed I could boil oil to petroleum using hot abyssalite if I played the game in 1x but it would flash to sour gas in 3x (I haven't tried that in a while though..).

Although in this build, it seems the hot 550C water fed to oil well, also flashes oil to sour gas for me :jaded: 

Maybe it was not on load but it was the water that "burned" everything..? Maybe it was the testing branch acting out...? 

The fact is everything had a wonderful sour gas explosion :D (a little sandboxing fixed it) but then there were some other testing branch related troubles... so... I gave up for the time being

Frankly pushing from 540°C to 550°C is more a micro-optimization than a real game-changer. I suggest dialing back the heat to 540°C, or even 535°C or 530°C to be safe and enjoying the build ;)

The strangest circuit I have ever assembled.
Who asked for a square? Here, almost...oil.thumb.jpg.4d498c21755188ea134af87674df009b.jpg

I didn't simplify it significantly, but I reduced it well. It's a little better for understanding. I'll test it, post it...

15 minutes ago, DimaB77 said:

I didn't simplify it significantly, but I reduced it well. It's a little better for understanding. I'll test it, post it...

Props for giving it a go instead of copying the design.

There are a few mistakes here and there, I really doubt this particular build is self-powered, or even working at all for more than a couple cycles:

• The Oil Well gas output is not insulated from the heat exchanger (if you did put Chlorine in the Mesh Tile, it's going to break on load), which eats into efficiency quite a bit.
  • There is no cooling disposal here. Unless you get so efficient that all the AT cooling action is absorbed by Steam Turbines heating up, you do need something to cool the liquid used by the AT to dump cold.
  • That heat exchanger is crazy short, it's going to heat into efficiency as well.
  • One Smart Battery is not enough to last between backpressure releases, unless you have a very low threshold. The power output is spiky, and you need at least 1 Jumbo Battery, maybe 2.
  • I'm pretty sure you lack a filter gate for the Nat Gas Element Sensor. Without that, Steam will occasionally be pumped, which will mess up things downstream, since you don't vent it into your steambox either.
  • Not too sure about that one, but in my tests, 2 Steam Turbines were not enough to extract all the heat from Petroleum/Nat Gas. The weird Steam Boxes shape and larger Steam Boxes might fix this issue though?

All of those were explained in my original post.

oil.thumb.jpg.ddf4534c7608f04477267e167c744b3d.jpgThis is just a concept that still has 100 test cycles to go. I have improved the circuit a bit and also, thanks to your recommendations, there is enough power to light around.

Note the Ceiling light above the Oil well. Sensation! For the first time in the game, someone built a Ceiling light out of termium!

In all seriousness, the output is 70C oil, 50C natural gas, and some energy.

10 hours ago, Fradow said:
  • There is no cooling disposal here. Unless you get so efficient that all the AT cooling action is absorbed by Steam Turbines heating up, you do need something to cool the liquid used by the AT to dump cold.

Can you gain infinity heat by continuously cool super coolant below 272?

11 hours ago, Fradow said:

Not too sure about that one, but in my tests, 2 Steam Turbines were not enough to extract all the heat from Petroleum/Nat Gas. The weird Steam Boxes shape and larger Steam Boxes might fix this issue though?

The shape makes it at least partially a heat exchanger, which as I suggested to you on discord, would increase turbine efficiency. 

13 minutes ago, Tranoze said:

Can you gain infinity heat by continuously cool super coolant below 272?

Aquatuners gain however much heat they extract from the coolant, so at absolute zero, they can't cool the coolant and thus don't gain heat. 

On 6/25/2021 at 5:33 PM, Fradow said:

There are a few mistakes here and there

Naturally. I wrote for a reason: "This is just a concept that still has 100 test cycles to go"

I corrected some things and tried to describe them in detail. If you have any questions, I'm ready to answer them now.

It seems to me that you should appreciate the ultimate simplicity and clarity of the pipe scheme:

thumbnail-tw-20181121133006-8231.jpg.1a83b4c6b9f654cc25e1c25c9d35c2aa.jpg1890149862___.thumb.jpg.e69564035c2ded78707020e7d448b227.jpg

Archived