I'll just get straight to the point:

image.png.976e099235bd81bac36d9046b4be20e9.png

The events of Don't starve take place in the early 1900s. Soda cans did not exist in the early 1900s. The characters even acknowledge that they've never seen it before:
image.png.23925be5636fa7bad9d3d57e8c946438.png

We know according to Wagstaff that many of the trinkets likely came through "rifts", which supposedly can suck things into the constant from any time period, even though Maxwell and Charlie have exclusively been pulling in people from their time. 
Time in the constant is completely separate from time in the real world

What queries do y'all have?

Yeah, I just looked it up and the first soda can was made in the 1960s.  Of course, we also have to wonder here whether or not to count character quotes in this anachronism (probably not, but still) because off the top of my head I can remember Wilson referencing a cartoon from the 1990s and Webber quoting a David Bowie song from 1980...and that's just right off the top of my head.

WILSON:  (examines log) "It's big, it's heavy, it's wood!"  (from "Ren and Stimpy")

WEBBER:  (examining ashes) "Funk to funky."  ("Ashes to ashes, funk to funky, we know Major Tom's a junkie...")

The REAL answer here is of course:  The devs are having fun throwing in little jokes.  But if we're gonna start taking anachronistic soda cans seriously, well...I dunno, I guess my theory here is the rifts could be affecting their brains?  Thinning walls between realities and all that.

...Notorious

7 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

The REAL answer here is of course:  The devs are having fun throwing in little jokes.  But if we're gonna start taking anachronistic soda cans seriously, well...I dunno, I guess my theory here is the rifts could be affecting their brains?  Thinning walls between realities and all that.

Oooh, I find this a unique take on the matter. I do agree with the REAL answer :wilson_laugh:

But I feel like the anachronism with the soda can is canon. It's possible that there are rifts affecting their brains, but maybe some of them just learned what the soda beverage is from the pigs in Hamlet and just didn't question it, while others just don't trust the validity of soda as food (and I don't blame them)? I dunno.

38 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

I mean, some other characters seem to recognize it so its posible they're all from diferent ages

I mean, I've never really heard of people talking about when Walani and Woodlegs were abducted into the Constant.

image.png.8eb32ad4a1e50e18c29438428df72a3d.png

image.png.c9e04ca08f1375b19294ddb1a679c524.png

If the majority of manmade items that come in from a random time frame happen to be in the near future and roundabout, that would imply either only recent items appear, or the "far future" doesn't happen. In other words, if humanity survived another ~1000 years, you'd expect a really high percentage of the non-natural stuff to be from the 2050+ era, but it's not. 

Did I just confirm the end of the world? I have no idea.

On 5/27/2021 at 4:56 PM, fierysage1 said:

I mean, I've never really heard of people talking about when Walani and Woodlegs were abducted into the Constant.

image.png.8eb32ad4a1e50e18c29438428df72a3d.png

image.png.c9e04ca08f1375b19294ddb1a679c524.png

"Just like me mum used ta open from th' package." - Woodlegs, exam. Waffles

I say Woodlegs is a pirate from the future. Prove me wrong.

Also idk if they were actually abducted. Walani and him were both pirates/sailors so I aways thought they just got lost in the Bermuda Triangle (/Electric Isosceles) and like all things lost, ended up in the Constant.
I suppose the other sailors and wrecked ships we see in Shipwrecked came from earth too but just didn't make it.. (Hispaniola, Mont-Blanc, African Queen, pretty humanly names for ships if you ask me)

Fun fact- hammering the wrecked hot air balloon you spawn into Hamlet in will drop a can of Silly String, used in crafting the Sky-Worthy device, Silly String was not even accidentally invented until:

https://www.liquisearch.com/silly_string/history#:~:text=The invention of the original silly string was,an instant cast. The invention was a success.

Other fun facts: Chester, Starsky & Hutch Mandrake & Redcap all are movie references the first of which Chester is from Halloween Town- it’s the name of the suitcase with legs, a tongue & tail that the grandmother carries around.

Starsky & Hutch is named after the movie/tv series of the same name.

Mandrake & Redcap are ingredients found at Hogwarts in the Harry Potter franchise, Mandrakes in particular even let out annoying cries when pulled from the ground like they do in the movie.

Conclusion: Even though the games story plot may take place in a specific time period… KLEI Developers like throwing in little references and nods towards things they probably grew up watching or enjoyed as Human beings.

Personally I love the little nods to things here and there to movies, books, tv shows, popular toys from by-gone eras etc..

Well, the Mandrake is actually from much OLDER legends based off of a real-life plant that kinda looks like a person shape, hence why it was named a "man"drake.  it's not FROM Harry Potter any more than the word "biome" is a Minecraft invention  (I've also heard people go (while playing DS/DST) "Biome?  What is this, Minecraft?" and I'm like IT'S A REGULAR SCIENCE WORD! anyway).  You're right on the Starsky and Hutch thing, though, and the silly string.

However, now that we have Wanda, maybe characters being "unstuck in time" IS a legit topic of conversation for this game...

...Notorious

All the survivors who entered the Constant due to dark magic are unaffected by time at all. In Don't Starve they kept dying and surviving all the same and kept coming back to life without aging, until Maxwell was deposed and the victorious victim got trapped on the Shadow Throne. Maxwell claims to have been sitting on the throne for what felt like an eternity. Wanda is the only character who interacts with time by any means.

Archived