Pokeshell Farm

I don't understand.

The rules i know are:

• If the critter is overcrowded, they don't lay an egg
  • If the critter is not groomed, they will starve before laying an egg

All my life I've been told that, so whats different in Poke shell that you can simply put 100+ on a 12-tile room, starving, ungroomed, and they will still lay an egg?

1 hour ago, nipodemos said:

I don't understand.

The rules i know are:

• If the critter is overcrowded, they don't lay an egg
  • If the critter is not groomed, they will starve before laying an egg

All my life I've been told that, so whats different in Poke shell that you can simply put 100+ on a 12-tile room, starving, ungroomed, and they will still lay an egg?

The ones laying the eggs are the non-cramped ones in the large room to the left with the grooming station. The others aren't laying eggs, just producing molts and converting p-dirt to sand.

I like to cook the excess pokeshell instead. The baby pokeshell can't jump, we can utilize this to get both small / large shell from them without allowing them to live for too long. Anyway converting pDirt into sand isn't something useful, and they also delete 1/2 of the mass in the process ...

1 hour ago, MinhPham said:

Anyway converting pDirt into sand isn't something useful, and they also delete 1/2 of the mass in the process ...

I totally disagree, this is a very useful function.  Once you run out of natural deposits, all renewable sources of sand become useful.

5 hours ago, Craigjw said:

I totally disagree, this is a very useful function.  Once you run out of natural deposits, all renewable sources of sand become useful.

• 150+ critter is worth 5~10 FPS
  • In "base" game filtration medium is infinite.
  • You can always crush useless rocks into sand.
  • With the help of steel aquatuner and some electricity to spare, water purification doesn't need sand.
  • Don't eat sand.

On 5/26/2021 at 9:53 AM, DimaB77 said:

A simple 150+ Pokeshell farm

933872321_2gif.gif.80b28dbf1cf173449ca653a924e395ac.gif

thank you very much for the effort put in making this wiki pages! I have a few hundred hours in this game and still manage to learn something new :grin:

Edit: does that mean that if i for example run out of polluted dirt, i will still have 150 pokeshells that will continually reproduce and make molts for free?

On 5/28/2021 at 9:17 AM, nipodemos said:

I apologize for the long absence. I thought no one was interested in this farm.

Pokeshells, in a small room manage to lay one egg, before dying.
So this farm is able to progress (to infinity?).
By the way, it is perfectly suited for keeping Hatch (testing at the moment).

On 5/28/2021 at 9:44 AM, Saturnus said:

unknown.png

Can you explain this screenshot? No one is arguing - they can be kept in the 1st cage. Except that the crab will NOT have time to lay an egg before he dies of starvation. Hence the loss in the shell, and in the production of sand (coal for Hatch), too.

Also, you, if I understand correctly, against open farms.

On 5/30/2021 at 5:45 PM, DimaB77 said:

Can you explain this screenshot? No one is arguing - they can be kept in the 1st cage. Except that the crab will NOT have time to lay an egg before he dies of starvation. Hence the loss in the shell, and in the production of sand (coal for Hatch), too.

Also, you, if I understand correctly, against open farms.

He wont be confined as long as he have air open to the left and right.
image.png.73451e0ed24158f9e247c51f687fde22.png
And he will always stuck there.

Thanks for the link. Interesting feature, didn't know about it. But it makes sense - any construction should have 1 active cell.

But with this placement, they do NOT eat, so it doesn't make much sense.

14 hours ago, DimaB77 said:

they do NOT eat, so it doesn't make much sense.

Welcome to the world of wild critter ranching. We dont need them to convert pdirt to sand, we just need them to produce shell, and this is perfect to deliver all crabs on the map in one place for easier harvesting. This will increase productivity over time as more crab egg or crab can be obtain via care bundles.

Welcome to the world of half-starved farms:
1. Gulp fish - 0.
2. Drecko - 90 kg dirt/cycle = 1600 kg plastic, 2500 kcal, etc.
3. Pacu - 35 kg algae/cycle = 10800 kcal, 13.8 kg shell, etc.
and many more...

The article has not been translated yet, but perhaps the meaning will be clear.

Each farm has its own purpose: there is for meat, there is for resources. Any farm can consume units/tens of kilos/cycle as long as you don't need to process resources.

Archived