How does one deal with a varg?

So my bro decided to go hunting, hoping to find a koalafant, but instead found a varg. It's pretty close to our base, so how do we deal with it? I was thinking about gathering some pigs or luring it over to the beefalo, what should I do?

I rarely do varg alone, just gank Varg up in a team quickly, then deal with hounds after Varg down

for solo

Spoiler

if you are Wendy, you may just fight the varg yourself with a little food, armor and a healthy or potion buffed Abigail

for other characters you can use teleport staff, I haven't tried this but someone shared this method recently, Varg can summon 7 hounds at max cap regardless the hounds are teleported away, or kite the Varg to beefalo herds

you may also avoid the fight, let it chase you along cobblestone road, and park it anywhere else, waiting some giants to help you, some advanced technic may just use statue or grown tree to block its path, that's all 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Hover your mouse over Varg, press ~ and type this:

c_select():Remove()

This will delete Varg.

if you want a fair method tho - befriend some pigs and tank him.

Or save him for later use, like gem/moon rock farm.

Wig main, I use a dark sword, her helmet and spicy jellybeans/pierogi (pierogi if early game and no access to jellybeans/spices yet) and just tank it.

Focus on the varg while there is only a single hound as you want to kill it as fast as possible but anytime there is two or more hounds take them out first then refocus the varg so you don't get overwhelmed. They drop pretty fast with dark sword, Wig's extra damage and spicy foods.

The real worry of Vargs is during Autumn/Summer because they summon pesky Fire Hounds..

As a general rule when I hunt, as soon as I find the end of the trail, I immediately zoom out as far as I can and proceed to slowly creep my way towards the creature until I can tell what it is. If it's a koalafant then business as usual. If it's a ewecus or varg I back off before it could aggro onto me, and gather a few pigs to help me take them out later. Creeping up slowly while zoomed out has saved my hide from drawing aggro a multitude of times, and I will probably make a habit of it long into the future as well.

Ice staves so you can freeze him and deal with the hounds, using an army of pigs or bunnymens, weather pains, fire staff/darts to make them panic, pan flaute, beefalos

And for sure, use a weapon like fresh hambat or dark sword so you can kill black hounds in 3 hits or elemental ones in 2

Varg fight is fun because it's a big dude + hounds, combining knowledge of fighting big dudes and knowledge of fighting hounds. I recommend having tentacle spike(s), an at least mostly fresh ham bat, thulecite club(s), or dark sword(s) so that you can deal at least 50 damage per swing and as such kill elementals in 2 hits and normals in 3 hits. Then you can bait an attack out from the hound and swing three times (assuming none others are about to hit you), since the third hit will land just before it bites you it dies instead of hitting you.

Being able to properly utilize elemental hounds to your advantage is also good to know. Ice hounds can freeze other hounds on death, and fire hounds create fire which hounds don't like and can be used to separate them.

And the hounds won't stray far from the varg, so freezing it with an ice staff greatly helps with taking on the hounds.

Archived