Does Warly need an early game recipe?

Being excited about the character and having played him a whole bunch by now it feels to me like he is lacking in one specific area.

I might be mistaken, but the way I see it now, it seems like he is rather cumbersome and clunky for a considerable amount of time, starting from day 10ish on, lasting until you‘ve invested a lot into a base and farm setup.

The big payoff are his spices and some of his recipes, but most of that is locked behind summer farming, when you have access to garlic, onions, peppers and so on. Am I mistaken here?

If I‘m right, then I feel like the character is a bit too slow and restricted. Lacking freedom during the early/midgame and not providing much of value during that time. There is no unique recipe that I look forward to during  that phase, especially since the monster tartare is prohibitively inefficient.

A recipee that provides decent hunger and a bit of recovery would smooth the experience here considerably and provide a bit more freedom. For example a veggie burger, made of mushrooms and veggies with stats that are close to meatballs would let you explore and roam more aggressively during that phase and provide the option for spelunking. Or anything along the lines of making the character less clunky during the first year.

If I‘m missing something then please say so!

Glow berry mousse is one of his strongest recipes, and honey crystals are also very powerful. Both are available very quickly. You can also make fish cordon bleu pretty quickly after spawning in, but unless you're spring starting or latejoining in spring that's not very useful. Volt goat chaud-froid is also available pretty early on, you just need to find the oasis and start punching some goats. He can also make some stat dishes with not too much investment required.

But if by "early game" you mean "I just spawned in five seconds ago" then he doesn't really have much but he's already very powerful, he doesn't need anything more. Glow berry mousse & honey crystals are already more than enough.

5 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Glow berry mousse is one of his strongest recipes, and honey crystals are also very powerful. Both are available very quickly. You can also make fish cordon bleu pretty quickly after spawning in, but unless you're spring starting or latejoining in spring that's not very useful. Volt goat chaud-froid is also available pretty early on, you just need to find the oasis and start punching some goats. He can also make some stat dishes with not too much investment required.

But if by "early game" you mean "I just spawned in five seconds ago" then he doesn't really have much but he's already very powerful, he doesn't need anything more. Glow berry mousse & honey crystals are already more than enough.

I think I need to focus more on getting access to honey and bee boxes more quickly then. Glow berry mousse seems like a pretty good recipe too, but that means you’re going to search for ruins (wild) early, which competes with the honey setup.

With early/midgame I mean the phase after exploring and setup until late summer. So day 10ish to day 50ish.

You could also star farming early on. That will allow you to get your hands on pepper, onion and garlic seeds before summer or even spring. Although pepper and onion are not great in winter you can still plant them and get 1 vegetable abd 2 seeds back using 1 seed.

35 minutes ago, prettynuggets said:

early game u can just spamming meatystew :D
back when u hungry again u already forget u had stew yst :D

Yeah I've learned to offset his downside(s) and I don't think they are that severe anymore. It's more that I thought his upside takes quite a while to pop off. But I guess I didn't consider how strong honey seasoning is during those earlier stages.

I really feel like his Chef Pouch is very under-appreciated as an early game travel item considering how useful it can be until you get better items in mid to late game. It may have 2 fewer slots than a backpack or insulated pack as well as only slowing spoilage by 33% (or 25%, correct me if I'm wrong), but that's still fairly useful for longer trips and exploring the map before you can get your hands on Bundling Wrap or an Insulated Pack; especially since it prolongs the ingredients and recipes he's going to use.

Warly's early game recipes are just normal, good recipes. Being able to carry a crockpot anywhere in the world means you can take advantage of food you might normally pass up. On most charecters, I don't make a point to wack the bee queen as I pass by for her honey. Usually she isn't close to base, and I want that inventory slot for something else. With a portable crockpot, you just make honey nuggets/ham on the spot and keep adventuring. The same can be said for the fish you get from merm heads, or tallbird eggs you would usually pass by.

Not having to lug this food all the way back to base to make it worth eating is Warly's biggest advantage.

41 minutes ago, Owlrus said:

I really feel like his Chef Pouch is very under-appreciated as an early game travel item considering how useful it can be until you get better items in mid to late game. It may have 2 fewer slots than a backpack or insulated pack as well as only slowing spoilage by 33% (or 25%, correct me if I'm wrong), but that's still fairly useful for longer trips and exploring the map before you can get your hands on Bundling Wrap or an Insulated Pack; especially since it prolongs the ingredients and recipes he's going to use.

Yeah I've definitely grown on using the Pouch and his Crockpot to efficiently explore the first 6-10 or so days. What I'm talking about happens after that. You kind of have to do all these time consuming things like setting up bee boxes and farms to access his upsides, which is fine, because his buffs and some of the recipes are really powerful. But so far it just feels like he is lacking during those days, not providing much of anything really until farming is setup nicely, which is quite a bit of work.

However I think I underestimated the importance of plugging down a bunch of bee boxes relatively early on, and by that I mean cutting as much exploration as is feasible and then focus on getting them down straight away. You gather honey alongside it as well so you can already make use of the seasoning tab. I'm pretty sure that is the way to go. Bee boxes are a relatively large and slow investment but are very efficient once you have a whole bunch of flowers around them, and don't need maintenance, so long term they are worth it regardless I think. But the key benefit of placing them early is apparently having fast honey access to supercharge your gathering, which is something you want to do anyways before winter. So I guess following this line of play should be efficient and feel less lackluster.

Just to be sure: With lackluster I don't mean "hard" or anything like that. Just slow and less beneficial than some of the characters I played so far. Like Wolfgang is "online" after just 1-2 days. WX has a longer setup phase until he cleared some of the ruins and gets telelocator but that's usually like 10-20ish days at worst or so? Wickerbottom is just super fast and useful right when she joins the Constant. It's similar with most of the cast, they have access to their core strengths pretty fast. I'm not complaining here, but rather providing perspective and trying to figure out where its at with the character.

1 hour ago, Owlrus said:

only slowing spoilage by 33% (or 25%, correct me if I'm wrong)

It slows spoilage by 25% which means food lasts 33% longer.

1 hour ago, Owlrus said:

but that's still fairly useful for longer trips and exploring the map before you can get your hands on Bundling Wrap or an Insulated Pack; especially since it prolongs the ingredients and recipes he's going to use.

Simply making the recipes and having them in a backpack will have them last considerably longer than keeping the ingredients in a chef's pouch.

51 minutes ago, gaymime said:

his recipes were a lot more accessible early-game with the old system of farming since no food was seasonal and could be harvested almost instantly when combined with manure. once you got a farm plot up(fairly easy when you hammer desert bones and find beefalo) you were set and they could be put all over the place if you were nomadic. since his design was based around the old farming system it is reasonable that you'd feel a little of that restriction when playing the new way

I agree with this sentiment. I first assumed the new farming system to be faster, requiring less setup. But what actually happens is that it takes ages to get going and requires quite some organization, planning, additional storage, more tooling etc. The payoff is that you get much more stuff from it, but it seems to be its own, rather time and or energy consuming minigame. Granted there are some optimal layouts that require less work and resources, there is still the issue of it being seasonal, so you need to plan and store specific stuff for each season. I hope one can still get seeds plus crops with minimal investment, since the giant crops are overkill anyways until you have wax paper.

An often overlooked special recipe of his is Puffed Potato Soufflé. While its stats aren't good, its a very simple warly specific dish and you can make it easily in autumn, winter and spring as it only requires potatoes and an egg. it's something good to make to further vary your palette. 

3 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

An often overlooked special recipe of his is Puffed Potato Soufflé. While its stats aren't good, its a very simple warly specific dish and you can make it easily in autumn, winter and spring as it only requires potatoes and an egg. it's something good to make to further vary your palette. 

Actually that’s quite the recipe, definitely overlooked it. It seems like asparagus, potatoes and carrots are a good combination for warly to farm during winter and spring.

Archived