about old skin

I wonder if Klei will go back to check and adjust some of old skins in the future or when it's done then it's done?

for example: skin like Wickerbottom's GoH ingame look nothing like the artwork and by far is the worst Wickerbottom skin, though I can't blame them since this is the first skin set 

WickerGoH.thumb.png.e6248a10318a9962d683ee70f81c3d0e.png

or Wx-78 Snowfallen skin:

Wx78Snow.thumb.png.895bfbc2210b913f677d2b5e43172c4e.png

Or redraw some of them skin portrait? 

*cough* *cough* *the magmatic*

All Released Skins (as of now) - Page 131 - [Don't Starve Together] General  Discussion - Klei Entertainment Forums

the art itself isn't bad, but if you put it next to the other:

Skin - Wilson by NightWonder7

you can see that it look really out of place 

I completely agree with the WX-78 skin you showed. As soon as it came out I looked at the portrait and got a bit exited, but in game it just looks a bit silly.
For the magmatic sets, I partly agree. I'm pretty sure they're entirely suppose to stand out, and I like them like that, but I would prefer if they just dim down the saturation on the bright colours a bit to make them look more at place.

41 minutes ago, Cliffford W. said:

That's cause some of the art might have been done by different artist and with different style.

I know, but I mean they can ask the old artist to redraw them in the future 

or anyone whose art style doesn't stand out too much

I like the idea of adjusting the art. But some people might like it the way it is, and they've already paid for it. For example, even though your work is amazing, I still prefer the original version Goh in some way, whose rough lines match my aesthetic for this game better than your revised version.

And in many places, new art is what needs to be tweaked. Like here, although four of the arts was added later, you can see at a glance that three of them don't fit in with the others.

2071865307_XLYLR4_3DOUIDXD4BP.thumb.png.b3b5621cf39b07e372c03fdd94de9163.png

21 minutes ago, Cliffford W. said:

If they wanted they'd already done it

Well, that why I'm asking "I wonder if Klei will go back to check and adjust some of old skins in the future or when it's done then it's done?" since they didn't do anything like this before (or maybe they didn't think about this before)

beside, other than busy with the main update, I don't see why they can't do this, maybe not now because of the RoT. Base on the art of the latest skin (the gorge), I'm pretty sure the old artist is still working with Klei

9 minutes ago, Cassielu said:

I like the idea of adjusting the art. But some people might like it the way it is, and they've already paid for it. For example, even though your work is amazing, I still prefer the original version Goh in some way, whose rough lines match my aesthetic for this game better than your revised version.

Since I'm not the original artist, I can't recreate that rough lines to look like their style (trust me, I would love to)

my problem with the original skin isn't from the line but from how the hair look compare to the artwork and my drawing is just to show how they could draw her hair ingame

This isn't technically about skins (they're the default skins, but still), but does anybody else find Walter's portrait extremely off? It doesn't match the other character portraits at all, in my opinion. I think Wortox has that to a lesser extent as well, but Walter's is really noticeable. I also heavily prefer Warly's singleplayer portrait to his DST one, I have no idea why they decided to change it since they kept Wormwood's.

I don't wanna drag the artists down since I know how tricky art can be, and Don't Starve has a very distinct and hard-to-copy artstyle, coming from a place of experience. It just stands out to me a biiiiiiiiit too much.

image.thumb.png.646d0b6b842c8e420b576d8a8e0e4d51.png

Hmmm, I think the shading make it looks like it belong to the skin portrait than the normal default portrait 
------------

tbh Walter himself doesn't fit in at all :v
Out of all new characters, he is the only character I feel like "Klei add a new characters just for the sake of new characters". And his dog to, I refuse to believe that there is a dog monster that can shapeshift in the constant this whole time and nobody, even the former king doesn't know about it. 
To this day, when someone ask me about DST characters, my brain automatically blur him out of the group :v

-----------

about the default portrait, Wurt to me looks more out of place but mostly because of the reeds

-----------

1 hour ago, TheMelonNinja said:

but Walter's is really noticeable. I also heavily prefer Warly's singleplayer portrait to his DST one, I have no idea why they decided to change it since they kept Wormwood's.

Completely agree about Warly

ironically, the old portrait from SW show he using the salt on food, which is an exclusive ability for DST :v

9 hours ago, Cliffford W. said:

If they wanted they'd already done it

Do you think they have infinite developers and infinite resources? Just because they haven't done it doesn't mean that they don't want to, maybe they would like to touch up some of the old art but think it's low priority.

12 hours ago, MikoFanboy said:

WickerGoH.thumb.png.e6248a10318a9962d683ee70f81c3d0e.png

You could make this into a client mod I think.

58 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Do you think they have infinite developers and infinite resources? Just because they haven't done it doesn't mean that they don't want to, maybe they would like to touch up some of the old art but think it's low priority.

You could make this into a client mod I think.

You can but you cannot publish it.

Posting mods with skins that change any original character or skin is forbidden even if the skin is modified version of already existing mod.

9 hours ago, MikoFanboy said:

Well, that why I'm asking "I wonder if Klei will go back to check and adjust some of old skins in the future or when it's done then it's done?" since they didn't do anything like this before (or maybe they didn't think about this before)

beside, other than busy with the main update, I don't see why they can't do this, maybe not now because of the RoT. Base on the art of the latest skin (the gorge), I'm pretty sure the old artist is still working with Klei

Since I'm not the original artist, I can't recreate that rough lines to look like their style (trust me, I would love to)

my problem with the original skin isn't from the line but from how the hair look compare to the artwork and my drawing is just to show how they could draw her hair ingame

The portrait art is more to the style you see in cinematics.

Ingame art is completely different reasonably as devs would have to redraw everything to make it look like in cinematics which is pointles and uneeded so it's better the way it is now.

10 hours ago, Cassielu said:

And in many places, new art is what needs to be tweaked. Like here, although four of the arts was added later, you can see at a glance that three of them don't fit in with the others.

Yeah, you can... totally tell! *sweats nervously*

Seriously, I cant.

17 minutes ago, Cliffford W. said:

You can but you cannot publish it.

Posting mods with skins that change any original character or skin is forbidden even if the skin is modified version of already existing mod

Yub, that's why I hope one day Klei will go back and adjust some of the old skin

17 minutes ago, Cliffford W. said:

The portrait art is more to the style you see in cinematics.

Ingame art is completely different reasonably as devs would have to redraw everything to make it look like in cinematics which is pointles and uneeded so it's better the way it is now.

Oh no no

I think you misunderstood 

I don't ask the dev to make the ingame art to looks exactly the same as the portrait art (Shading, coloring,..)  :v

ingame art has always been a simplified version of the portrait art and I don't have any problem with it,

My problem is when the art draw something but the ingame art draw a different thing

image.png.3e060e23a8cf85f305111572a5201e60.png

Or it looks "bad" due to rush or something else 

there is always room for improvement

Of course I don't ask them to drop everything and do it now, but maybe in the future 

7 hours ago, MikoFanboy said:

Yub, that's why I hope one day Klei will go back and adjust some of the old skin

Oh no no

I think you misunderstood 

I don't ask the dev to make the ingame art to looks exactly the same as the portrait art (Shading, coloring,..)  :v

ingame art has always been a simplified version of the portrait art and I don't have any problem with it,

My problem is when the art draw something but the ingame art draw a different thing

image.png.3e060e23a8cf85f305111572a5201e60.png

Or it looks "bad" due to rush or something else 

there is always room for improvement

Of course I don't ask them to drop everything and do it now, but maybe in the future 

I'm not sure what the artist did maybe there was change of plans for the ingame version

5 hours ago, Cliffford W. said:

@MikoFanboy

Something like this ?

(I did not redraw the chest cuz im not a good artist.

Original

image.png.854cfeacdf98385f86f651f938fcceb7.png

image.png.745472075b7da1a1c3d7feb6f6bfd9c5.pngimage.png.dcb936b261bc6d664559b06b152a098c.png

Updated

image.png.c0fef1413d186c955fe5cad6cbc45e24.png

image.png.340e5d155fb29c92e736bcfa16bc1ab7.pngimage.png.9daa23ab54704fff87a86e765781dcdb.png

yeah, something like that

Wx skin missing a few details compare to the artwork 
like the frost on his left face, the Ice on his shoulder in side view :v

image.png.e53a1aebcf0b25c33ac340fa77622c45.png

Archived